Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 4: Walking a well trod path.

Mr Fox

At first Elizabeth, who has been sitting next to Phillip during the meal, is looking a bit nervous about the talk of needing energy. At the mention of fire she starts to lean forward protectively and is on the verge of protesting when it becomes plain that the candle is not burning him. By the time the blow torch is brought in she is resigned to the fact that her world has been completely turned upside down. The ship, and everything else could be passed off as stress and maybe even halucination, but the smell of the burning clothes and the complete lack of damage to her only friend here is the last straw. She heave a great sigh and slumps back in her chair with a mixed look of weariness and awe.

Morgan listens to everyone talk and doesn't say much during the course of things, but after the experiment with the blowtorch, "I agree, I think everyone should have a complete physical. For myself I know that my healing abilities have improved greatly and I seem to have a much improved grasp of medicine and science in general, but I'm not sure what else might have been changed." He thinks a moment then calls Smythe over to the table, "Make sure that everyone onboard is scheduled for an hour in the medical bay for physicals within the next 48 hours, thanks."

Smythe makes a note on his personal tablet computer and walks off to start the process.

Lorean too looks with concern over the fire, but then nods in understanding as Phillip is untouched by the flame. "I'm almost in the same boat as you Phillip, pun not intended. I have this new body that is definitely nova, but I don't know what powers I might have. I suggest we work with the others in the gym on figuring out what we can do. That is the safest place on board to experiment."

Looking to the others she continues, "So how far ahead should I jump, mid 21st century to see if the war happens?"

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After basking in his relived hunger for a few moments, Phillip notices Elizabeth's distress. He asks her "Are you ok?", then to the group "It seems that this would be easier to take in if you WHERE from mars. I think it is a great idea to take the tests and practice, but I think it would be a good idea to let some of this settle in first. By the way, does anyone have a shirt in my size I could borrow? I will try not to burn it.".

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Looking to the others she continues, "So how far ahead should I jump, mid 21st century to see if the war happens?"

"Lorean, let's hang here right now and get a grasp on what has happened, we're very unlikely to run into any sort of trouble in this time period and we can replenish our supplies much more cheaply here. " Andrew turns and sizes up Phillip, "I may have something for you, I don't wear my old clothes much anymore ..." Andrew concentrates a weaves his eufiber into a set of workout clothes, "You see most of us wear this stuff, it's called Eufiber and it works with our abilities."

Andrew sits down again and begins to finish his meal, "Morgan, you can look me over if you want but I think we both know that I'm the exception to pretty much everything you know about medicine. I would like to see a comparison scan to the baseline we took after my eruption though ..."

"Thanks"

Phillip takes the clothes and goes to change. A while later he comes back wearing his old clothes.

"Is this stuff alive? It looks like it is sick."

Phillip hands back the slightly dis-coloured clothes.

Edit: interaction based on a false premise

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
"Lorean, let's hang here right now and get a grasp on what has happened, we're very unlikely to run into any sort of trouble in this time period and we can replenish our supplies much more cheaply here. "
Steve shrugs in agreement. He doesn’t expect to stay here long enough to matter and he’ll argue where to go at a later time.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Lorean too looks with concern over the fire, but then nods in understanding as Phillip is untouched by the flame. "I'm almost in the same boat as you Phillip, pun not intended. I have this new body that is definitely nova, but I don't know what powers I might have. I suggest we work with the others in the gym on figuring out what we can do. That is the safest place on board to experiment."
Steve says,

“Agreed. And bring the torch, when Phillip did his thing with it I felt I had an option there.”

In the gym Steve holds the torch, puts his hand next to the plasma field, and it deflects away from his hand. His hand turns the same red as before when he does so. Steve puts his hand actually in the field and it actually bounces with an addible crack. Steve holds out his hand away from the torch and makes it glow red again with an addible hum. Steve says,

“I know this color, that noise… ah… focused plasma field, right? And the only other weapon which is a focused plasma field is a light saber.”

Steve pauses then shrugs,

“The subconscious is a weird thing.”

In the gym Andrew watches as Steve tests his new ability, "Does that only protect your hands or your whole body?"

Andrew takes in the high ceiling of the gym and decides to test his new tendrils. He moves away from the others a bit and then reaches up and allows the tendrils to extend to the maximum length. "Wow that's gotta be close to thirteen feet!" Andrew curls the end the tendrils around a light fixture or other useful grip and tries to pull himself up toward it, Well, this will be usefull he thinks.

Phillip looked a little disturbed to see the blowtorch taken away. He then spent the next few hours with Elizibeth trying to reasure and confort her.

Later when she went to bed/learn more tech, he went to the gym. Taking his new shirt off as to not damage it, he began to experiment. First, he started to create arcs of electrisity around his hand. After playing a while with it, he manages to control the direction of the sparks, and finds himself holding a "beem" of lightning. He tries again, and tries for more distance. He manages to launch a bolt of lightning the splits near the end and hits 4 seperate targets. Next he tries to electricute himself with his "sword", but nothing happens, to which he seems disapointed.

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
In the gym Andrew watches as Steve tests his new ability, "Does that only protect your hands or your whole body?"
Steve says,

"A good question."

Steve tries and fails to use the blue effect to bounce the torch. Then he tries to extend the red effect over his entire body, and instead starts to glow bluely. He cancels both effects, then starts over with the same effects, then he repeats the series a couple of times.

"Just the hands for the burning and the deflection... and this is burning through my juice like mad. I'll be back in a few hours. Steve leaves to rest."

Originally Posted By: 32767
Next [Phillip] tries to electricute himself with his "sword", but nothing happens, to which he seems disapointed.
Steve claps his hands in both congradulation and to draw attention to himself.

"Well done. And you'll find you're immune to your own powers' direct effects. It's part of the nova package."

"You aren't getting sleepy?"

Quote:
"You aren't getting sleepy?"

"No, not at all. Actualy, I don't think I have slept since the explosion. By the way, do you mind if I have a bite to eat?" Phillip motions for the blowtorch.

Quote:
"No, not at all. Actualy, I don't think I have slept since the explosion. By the way, do you mind if I have a bite to eat?" Phillip motions for the blowtorch.
Steve replies,

"As long as I'm here and have a little more control than last time, let's try to expand your diet."

Steve activates the plasma field around his hands and slowly extends his pointing finger to Phillip. All Phillip needs to do to avoid it is step back and Steve won't put any strength behind it.

(1d killing attack coming at you)

Whatever Phillip does, Steve continues,

"Not sleeping? Then let's try an experiment. That's usually part of a package."

If Phillip is willing, Steve takes him to the cold storage rooms, then the really cold rooms and keeps the temperature dropping until Phillip either feels uncomfortable or the temp hits -50.

Quote:
(1d killing attack coming at you)

"Thanks, but it is not as refeshing as the blowtorch." Phillip says after a few moments of contact.
Quote:
"Not sleeping? Then let's try an experiment. That's usually part of a package."

"But I eat fire! Wouldn't that be bad?" Phillip goes along with the test anyway. At first Phillip seems cold, but suddenly he stops shivering, as if realiesed he wasn't cold in the first place. The temperature goes all the way to -50 without Phillip noticing.
"So you say it is usualy part of a 'package'. What else should I be able to do?"

Quote:
"Thanks, but it is not as refreshing as the blowtorch." Phillip says after a few moments of contact.
Steve says,

"I can up the grain on this a little, but it does seem weaker than the movies suggest. Just bleeds quantum too. Hmm, it's a new power; it shouldn’t be a surprise to find it needs practice."

Quote:
"But I eat fire! Wouldn't that be bad?" Phillip goes along with the test anyway. At first Phillip seems cold, but suddenly he stops shivering, as if realizing he wasn't cold in the first place. The temperature goes all the way to -50 without Phillip noticing.
"So you say it is usualy part of a 'package'. What else should I be able to do?"
Steve says,

"Bottom line is you can live on quantum alone and don't depend on the outside environment."

"You don't have to eat, sleep, drink, or breath. You can survive anywhere, underwater, in the vacuum of space, or being buried alive. You're immune to radiation, ah, right, radiation hasn't been invented yet. Think of it as an invisible poisonous light. You're immune to poisons and disease. Theory says you will age slower but that’s untested."

"Having said that, it’s a power, so run out of juice and it’ll stop working. Also being a nova means you shouldn't be pushing your powers all the time. Over the long term it’s seriously unhealthy. I suggest you keep eating and sleeping so your body stays in practice. You'll find you regain quantum a lot faster when you sleep, and we don't need to find out what happens if we go months or years without eating or sleeping."

A good nights rest followed by a vigorous workout made Omar feel better. His body still felt strange, but he was getting accumstomed to it. It was not until he lookd into the mirror that he was able to see a change. His physical stature was even more imposing and muscled. It even looked like he'd gained an inch or two.

Omar returned to the gym where he sees Andrew, Phillip and Steve practicing their new abilities. The newcomer was periodically feding off a blowtourch, which Omar thought as odd. He then remembered that Phillip might have needed a special diet. Oh my, now that IS different. Omar thought to himself.

When the others notice his entrance, he waves to them and asks how they are all feeling. Omar relates his experiences from the event to the others, and asks if there might be a way to determine what sort changes, exactly, occured to his body. He also asks if the others notice hi slightly increased size and outward appearance of power.

"So, who would like to spar for awhile?" Omar says with a smile. "It might be a good way to see if I have any new powers, and to practice yours."

(OOC: Omar picked up two dots of Quantum, both tainted, giving him a Quantum of 4)

Andrew gives Omar a wry look, "How much of a work out do you want tough guy?" he asks with a chuckle. "I'm pretty sure I could dance around you even better than before and these little babies," he waves the tendrils, "Will let me strike at you from afar, I dunno if I can pose much of a threat but I think I can hold my own better now than before."

Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
When the others notice his entrance, he waves to them and asks how they are all feeling. Omar relates his experiences from the event to the others, and asks if there might be a way to determine what sort changes, exactly, occured to his body. He also asks if the others notice his slightly increased size and outward appearance of power.
Steve nods and says,

"You're bigger and your fat content has dropped. You're obviously a nova now. Even if you wore a mask it'd still be obvious. Taint might be up a bit too."

Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
"So, who would like to spar for awhile?" Omar says with a smile. "It might be a good way to see if I have any new powers, and to practice yours."
Steve says,

"Sure. After you're done with Andrew I'll step up... but I'll spare both of us the energy hands. They're for getting serious, and they burn juice too quick."

Omar tilts his head backwards and gives a hearty laugh at Phillip. "I will let you off this time! The next time though, you had better be ready to take me on."

"You might be right about the taint, Steve. I will just have to see how things turn out." Omar glances over at Andrew. "First I need to finish with Andrew, then we can go at it."

Turning to Andrew, Omar begins circling the mat, his large arms pulsating in anticipation. "I'd like to see what your new appendages can do." With a teasing jab and a sly smile, Omar starts the sparring. "I'm warning you. If I grab those 'babies', I will tie you up with them."

Andrew laughs and begins to circle oposite Omar, "Powers or no? Cause if we use powers you'll never beat me, you can't pin an amorphous blob afterall... That said I still think speed beats brawn any day."

Without waiting for an answer Andrew throws himself to the side and lashes out with one of the tentacles, grabbing for Omar's leg and pulling it out from under him. He'll quickly release and dart around behind the big man as he gets up.

Omar watches as the tentacles grab and pull his leg from under him. Fortunately, Omar's athleticism prevented him from falling to the ground. Instead, he ended up on one knee. As his opponent ran behind him, Omar spun his other leg, 180 degrees so that he was now facing Andrew. Even though he was on both knees, in wrestling it was not considered an un-advantageous position. Omar could now defend against his feet being pulled from under him, and if he needed to, hip-toss his opponent.

Now, Omar waited for his opponent to attack again. If he could grab the tendril, he would hold onto it, and drag his opponent to him.

Andrew dances back away from Omar, "Nice move, you'll have to teach me that too. For now though I'm good..."

Andrew lunges right but sends a tendril left and behind him to grab a section of wall. Quickly as he can Andrew pushes off with this legs and uses the tendril to pull himself back the way he came hoepfully suprising Omar and getting in behind him. As he nears the wall Andrew shifts so that he will take the impact on his legs, releases his grip on the wall, and them pushes off the wall with his legs. Arms tucked he launches himself at Omar's back like a cannon ball.

Andrew was fast, and it was going to be difficult to catch him. Omar would not waste his energy or time, chasing Andrew around the gym, instead, he would wait, then, like any good fighter, take advantage. If your opponent thinks you incapable of something, he will take advantage of that weakness. Omar would make Andrew believe that he was slow. Hopefully, Andrew would become over-confident. That was when Omar would make his move.

Omar watched as a tendril headed in one direction, and his opponent headed in the other. It was similar to a move that was popular in the entertainment wrestling circuit. Instead of using the ropes to launch himelf at his opponent, he was using his legs and tendril. Omar steadied his knees, and concentrated on holding his ground. When his opponent hit him, Omar would fall foreward onto his hands. Hopefully, it would give his opponenet the impression that it was effective, and that Omar was too slow to turn around, but not enough so that his opponent was in an advantageous position.

Andrew slammed into Omar leading with his shoulder, his arms tucked in tight to maximize the impact. Much to his size Omar fell forward and rather than rebounding as he expected off the solid giant Andrew found himself coming down on top of the big man Uh-oh. He tried to roll to the side to escape the big man, but clearly he had underestimated Omar's experience. Aw nuts! was all he had time to think as he felt Omar's huge hands take hold of him.

Omar was not expecting his opponent to land on top of him, but it was the opportunity he was looking for. Omar reached out and, with both hands, held his opponent and pulled himself onto opponent's back. Andrew was now on his stomach and underneath Omar. All he needed to do now, was turn Andrew over for the pin.

Omar put one of his hands on the ground behind the struggling Andrew's neck, and another on the ground behind his knees. Omar began to push his head into the midsection of his opponent. Unless Andrew wanted bruises to his ribs and wanted to breathe, he would have to bend at the waist. Once that happened, Omar would lock his hands together, and Andrew, could be rolled over and pinned. Andrew would either have to counter the move, or revert to a gelatinous state.

"oooff!" Andrew was forced to admit that he had yet again bit off more than he could chew, for a big man Omar could move with suprising speed. Andrew however wasn't ready to quite just yet. He started to bend in the middle allowing omar the feeling on triumph, afterall no bones and no internal organs meant that Omar really couldn't use most standard locks to their best potential. Andrew reached up and over the big man with his tendrils and wrapped them both around the big man's right ankle. He then pulled with all his might to bend the leg backward and up toward Omar's shoulder.

Omar was grinning broadly, as he felt Andrews body bending inward. He had almost completed the move, when something grabbed his ankle and started pulling it towards his head. Omar's grin changed to a grimace as he began to exert his might against the tendrils. "Unnnngh!" Omar grunted as he started pushing his leg back towards the ground. With any luck, he would overpower the tendrils and finish up the move.

Andrew grunted and kept applying constant pressure, unless Omar was especially strong in the legs or he used his enhanced strength Andrew figured he had his way out. Inch by inch he forced Omar's leg up and back toward his own head, not a comfortable position even if Omar was a yogi this would be strenuous.

"You ... want to ...give?" Andrew asked Omar, puffing the words out between labored breaths. It was stupid question but Andrew figured maybe it would actually distract Omar for a second.

"Surrender? I am just warming up." Omar grinned back with a look of joy on his face. Omar was enjoying the competition.

Since Andrew's tendrils were stronger than Omar had thought, and he was slowly losing the tug of war with his opponent, he decided it was time to up the intensity.

With suprising speed, Omar let go of Andrew, and spun to a seated postion with the tendrils between his legs. Facing his opponent and seated on his tendril-wrapped leg, he grabbed them with his hands. Using his body like a fulcrum, Omar tucked and rolled backwards and pulled upward. Omar watched as Andrew's body sailed over his head and impacted with the ground. With the tension relieved, and still sitting on the appendages, Omar started spinning Andrew, by the appendages, in circles above his head.

Andrew whirls around the room and smiles, Showtime. Andrew uses his natural dexterity and newfound strength to reorient himself in the air as Omar spins. He quickly adjusts his position such that his feet are pointed down towrd omar and his arms are by his sides, the tendrils trailing down his legs and into Omar's incomprable grasp. Before Omar can react to Andrew's new orientation Andrew pulls his tendrils into his arms and levers his arms laterally up over his head.

Just like that the angular momentum from being swung in circles by Omar acceleratates the linear motion of Andrew toward the circle's point of origin, Omar. Speeding in feet first Andrew colloides with the massive man, one foot landing in Omars gut and the other on the upper half of his sturnum. Andrew rides Omar's fall and promptly rolls away and into a crouch outside of arm's reach.

"If we weren't just sparring my feet would have landed square on your face ..." Andrew smiles, "Done yet?" he asks, his voice tinged with laughter.

He's spending too much time talking, and not enough time paying attention. Omar smiles briefly, as he gently pushes quantum into his body. Springing off the ground like a ballistic missile, he launches himself at the taunting Andrew. Omar hears a satisfying thud, as his shoulder impacts with his target's chest.

Omar looked up, just as Andrew hit the bulkhead 30 feet away. The quantum he added to his tackle was meant to ensure that his target would not be able to remain standing. It was more effective than he had expected. Omar hoped he hadn't hurt Andrew too much.

Andrew has barely enough time between Omar hitting him at somewhere around the speed of sound and hitting the wall to relax his subconscious body image. He hits the wall with enough for to have seriously injured a normal man. Luckily for Andrew he's no normal man, instead of breaking bones and rupturing blood vessels Andrew splats against the wall and spreads out into a sheet.

He slides down the wall and quickly reforms with a pissed off look on his face. Rapidly his body changes. His muscles bulk up and his skin calcifies into armor plates, lastly his fingers elongate into razor like talons.

"What ... the hell ... was that for?" Andrew is clearly restrianing himself, his tendrils quiver their spiked ends waving back and forth as though hungry to sink into flesh.

Omar watched Andrew take on a more agressive posture and in response, he gave him a miscevious smile. Omar relaxed his posture so as to seem non-threatening, and spoke.

"When in Combat, you need to focus completely on the task. Distractions, like talking or taunting will give your opponent an opening to exploit. Like the one I took advantage of." Omar spoke calmy, so as not to escalate the situation, while at the same time, ready for any retaliation. "I'm sorry it had to be a painful lession."

"What is the point of sparring, if you don't learn something new." Omar said with a grin as he bowed towards Andrew.

Andrew raises an eyebrow giving a look of amusement, "You're saying you meant to hurl me into the wall some thirty feet away with enough force to seriously injure? Me thinks not."

Andrew does relax though and allows his form to return to normal. "You have to admit you had no idea I was going to do that ... hell I'm more than a little suprised it worked." Andrew withdraws his tendrils and makes a martial arts style bow, straight at the waist.

"Actually, I meant to tackle you into the mat and then pin you." Omar says with a little embarassment. "I guess I should have used a little less force."

Omar walks over to Andrew and pats him on the back and laughs. "Next time you get to toss me into a wall."

Going back to the center of the mat, Omar looks over to the others nearby. "Anyone else want to spar?"

Steve raises his hand like a school boy in a class room,

"Over here."

Steve's outfit morphs into a white martial arts outfit with a white belt (the lowest). A closer look at the outfit would show it's shear and one piece. Steve steps out onto the mat and it's like a bad joke. Next to Omar, Steve looks like a baseline teenager, a young teenager. Steve says,

"No guns, edged weapons, or killing attacks. No offensive powers other than strength and speed. All that sound OK?"

Assuming Omar agrees, Steve bows and assumes a defensive position.

Andrew looks concerned, "You meant to tackle me? Omar I think maybe you should practice with your new power before you spar with anybody else, if you are having control issues you should work those out before somebody does get hurt.

"As for next time, I'll settle for beating you."

"Did you get hurt?" Omar asks Andrew with a serious look on his face. "No, you didn't. I knew, from our previous engagements, that you were more than capable of withstanding such an assault. If you would like me to refrain from such tactics in the future, I will."

"As for our next encounter, I hope you do beat me." Omar then started chuckling. "Then I can sit back, relax, and watch you beat up our enemies."

Originally Posted By: Steve
"Over here."

The big man turns towards the smaller white-clothed Steve. "Alright, I agree to those rules."

Omar takes a standard wrestling stance, with both arms wide and ready to grab.

Morgan looks on in concern for a moment after Andrew goes slamming into the bulkhead, but then relaxes as he sees the man get up and shake it off. Without interrupting their conversation he walks over and extends his quantum healing awareness toward Andrew just to make sure there are no injuries. As always he finds it strange to say the least when he scans the man. Quietly he speaks to Andrew, "I don't detect any thing other than what I would call bruises on you. It's lucky that you don't have a skeleton or you would have had a couple broken bones at the least."

Steve considers,

*Morgan and Andrew are here, that means this might actually work. Let's give it a try, better for him to learn about this the easy way... well, easy for him. I don't think Omar has seen this before, but I won't have much time, he'll figure it out.*

Steve starts out with a defensive stance, waiting for Omar to make his move and then dodging and punching him with his full mega-strength (then repeating).

Andrew shrugs, "OK just being careful we don't know the long tern effects of that blast yet, better safe than sorry."

Andrew turns to watch as Steve and Omar face off and begin to spar while Morgan comes over.

Originally Posted By: Morgan
"I don't detect any thing other than what I would call bruises on you. It's lucky that you don't have a skeleton or you would have had a couple broken bones at the least."

Andrew gives Morgan a bored look, "Yeah yeah, it's great being a freak. I heal quick nowadays anyways even the remaining bruises will be gone shortly."

Archived