Aberrant RPG - Adverting Emphatic Manipulation

dcrod

Is there some of counteract Empathic Manipulation? The biggest posible pool is 15 (or 20 if you like it) and the defense (willpower), in the best of the cases is 10. That means that some nova with quantum 4 has good chances of manipulate Divis Mal?

P-Shield doesn't work.

"INV:Willpower Resisted effects" would, as would "INV:Empathic Manipulation".

The Merit: "Iron Will" would pretty much negate it.

Quote:
Pretty much. But he doesn't get to dictate what Divis Mal does with those new emotions.
You can come pretty close. Pick someone, say Count O, then give Divis Totally Blinding Hate/Rage towards him. Note this assumes Divis doesn't have one of the defenses which isn't a good assumption.

Further, it will only last for a moment and Divis will know he's been had, and he will also know who did it, so good luck living after that.

Not quite. The manipulator doesn't get to give Mal total blinding hate/rage towards anything or anyone. He just feels that state of emotion. How and if he chooses to express the hate/rage, and who or what its expressed to is up to Mal and circumstance.

The Mega-Intelligence enhancement called Discerning Mind is a great help here. It lets you use your Intelligence to block social and emotional rolls.

As for Divis Mal, I'm pretty sure has a defense against social attempts. he wouldn't be in the position he is in without them. Otherwise, the Apostle would be leading the Teragen right now.

True. Doesn't help to be the biggest gun around if someone can puppet you, as Caestus Pax found in the prelude to Underworld. Scar Crow is a nasty fellow, if used properly. Empathic Manipulation is a situational power, most useful to trigger a response at the right moment. Mal hates! Count O, Count O is a pile of ash. Mal may realize what just happened, but it doesn't matter to Orzaiz. Used with Mega-Socials, it's just wrong. The rules don't explicitly state that the victim knows who did it (not that I read), so it could be sneaky, and the duration is a scene (for weak emotions) or concentration (strong).

Actually, it doesn't. If the target has anger toward something, that can be boosted to rage, with the expression of that rage up to the target. The nova can only manipulate the emotional state. If he knows the target and how the target typically reacts in certain situations ...Easy to push Wolverine into rage, not hard to do it when there's a large target selection nearby, ooops!

The key point is the sentence that says the expression of emotion is up to the target: rage at government, expressed as stomping off to protest, writing a nasty letter, or going postal. All are valid expressions of rage, which is used depends on how your target typically responds. He may start shouting, he might punch you, he could pull a gun: mileage varies by model.

This is good, for it makes sure the control of the character's actions remain where it is supposed to - with the player.

I never did like the thought of somebody else usurping my control over the characters I play - be they npcs, other players or the ST. But, of course this is just me.

I would also add that there has to be something - either powers or enhancements - that make it either hard or impossible for others to effect the nova. I mean is that what novas do - change the laws and say that these things don't effect me.

Archived