Aberrant RPG - Aberrant Modifications For Dummies

Jesse Custer

I've posted this, before, in other forums. Unfortunately, the WW forums are really weak (in features/archiving/traffic) and I figured they'd find more use here.

I have been tweaking a campaign, designed for complete newbies, using "level F2". Quite interesting the kind of preperation you have to do when nobody on Earth can physically keep a group from doing what it likes.

Well, enjoy my list of setting mods. I know that they'll, at least, impress those who felt short-changed and upstaged by Aberrant's metaplot and NPCs.

Aberrant Setting Levels

Level A: Includes everything in the default Aberrant setting. A world where, even though the PCs are on their way to godhood, there are still forces which are as tidal waves to mortals (Mal, Pax, et al.).

Level B1: The biggies don't exist, yet. Mal and Pax are either non-existent or are severely underpowered (they can't go through a mountain and dust themselves off, e.g.).

Level B2: Utopia doesn't exist. The PCs can create their own organization to help the world (or hurt it) without being hopelessly outmatched by any other group.

Level C1 and C2: Include the stipulations of either level B1 or B2 and, in addition, the Directive doesn't exist.

Level D: (Include all of the above stipulations.) No novas in the world are constructed with greater than 30 nova points (the PCs are now the cream of the crop). Remember, these aren't really limits to the GM - if his story needs a 50 point nova he shouldn't shy away from it - story is king.

Level E1: Most novas can't progress past their starting power (or at a greatly increased cost*). PCs, of course, are excluded from this limitation. *E.g. Maybe the greater cost isn't just more XPs but for every power increase (past their eruption levels), they must take a dot of permanent taint.

Level E2: PCs start at 30 nova points and every other nova starts at 15.

Level F1: Both level E1 and E2.

Level F2 (dozens of variations depending how much you want the PCs to be in control of their world): "PCs are the only eruptions known" to "the PCs are among only 50 eruptions known (including one level E)". To balance this, you can put a cap on the PC's Quantum traits (no greater than 6, say - especially if they're the only novas on the planet). Again, if the GM wants equally armed super-villains: The story is king.

Note: Except for F2, all levels assume the same numbers of novas as in the default Aberrant setting. F2 is really just a change of quantity that makes the PCs more influential because they're not just a few in a several thousand but a few of a dozen (or whatever number you choose) in all the world.

Interesting. I've always thought it would be interesting to do a game where the characters were among the first to ever erupt.

Of course, if there are only a couple dozen or so, then you stand a serious chance of backlash from the baselines, which can turn into an us against them kinda game, with the novas fighting for their lives despite their great powers.

You can play it either way. I still prepared an NPC PR-guy to help them deal with events. Without PR they'd eventually be demonized by the media, I figure.

(In my campaign they start out being the only ones who know they have powers. So they get a moment of private revelations and I get to see if they risk being caught to help someone in need. But, of course, before long they get outed against their will.)

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Oh, but the fun you could have until you did get outted...

You're so right that I'm expanding my campaign to include explicit adventures for the secret novas. I had implicit directions but that required my newbie players in thinking of cool stuff to do.

Instead, I'm going to add a whole session (or two) of events that'll allow them to bask in the glory of their newfound godhood.

Archived