Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Table Talk: Phoenix Rising

jameson (ST)

The other problems are Courier can't open a link with someone unless he's either touching them or has pinned a link on them in the past. And 5 more juice would be a lot at the moment.

Correction: The initial link doesn't require touch, but for a non-telepath it might as well.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Buzz is meeting with the local political types, then he's already the best guy we've got for that... I don't know what Courier could do.

Of course it could be worse. For a while I thought Raider was the last guy with the link, and considering he's in the next room that isn't much help.

Question for you all, specifically for the geniuses; How would you prefer me to handle your mega-Intelligence?

Normally I rely on my players to connect the dots but having some high level brains in the group I wonder if I should provide some of the connections which you have not made yet but that I feel may be important to the story. I don't mind doing it this way but it can often be fun for the players to figure this stuff out on their own as well.

Lemme know what you guys think ...

I suppose it would depend on how Courier views the uneducated and Gregory in particular. Raider and Jimmy have both shown an almost overzealous inclination to answer all of Gregory's questions and to teach the youngster.

Try answering these questions:

Has Courier become jaded to the fact that Joe average has only a grade school level of education?

Is Courier the type to be patient and helpful to everybody or does he ignore or push people away?

What specifically is Courier's view of people with less education than he? What about people with more education?

HOw does COurier React to novas with taint? The average baseline's attitude will become increasingly more hostile as the level of taint increases.

These are probably good questions for all of you to ask yourselves. When I write a description I try not to spin it in order to allow the players to assign their own stereotypes and/or prejudices. This (should) helps to add flavor and depth to the role playing experience.

Mind you as well, while 6 novas who get along personally and are best buddies will succeed in life it wil make for a less interesting game than if there is group tension between members for various reasons. Think to Star Trek Bones and Spock were freinds and yet Bones did not hold back his latent racisim. In Firefly Mal could be one cold SOB when it suited him and Jane tried to sell Doc and his sister out at least once.

Courier, you will just have to play up the eccentricities of your character. If ignorance is something that irritates him, then feel free to show your disdain. Gregory is used to it, he won't take it personally. He may make some snarky comment, but mostly he will stay silent.

??? Both of you missed the point. Courier has a grade school education. Since eruption this has been addressed to a degree through telepathy. Example: Courier is in a crashed airplane and Jimmy is in his head telling him what is useful and what isn't, and what does what.

KB got smarter because of eruption, Doug didn't. Courier has an Int of 2, and he also has one dot in a bare handful in a few skills to reflect this sort of training.

Telepathy and (especially) Mega-Strength compensate for these lacks. The big dumb jock is an archtype... (and if you want to get silly the BDJ beating people up who point out his mental limitations is also archtypal.)

My issue is he's found a guy to trade weapons and such for tech, but we aren't looking for weapons and such, and tech is expensive.

At least you have TWO dots, Gregory has one, and he has only one in survival. Gregory never even got an education. He has street smarts and other skills, but he's lucky he can say the alphabet correctly.

I'm not sure if the man has only weapons to offer, but Gregory will need to offer him something other than information. Since Gregory has no resources, he either has to con someone out of their posessions or rely on the good graces of others to supply him with goods for barter.

He usually sells everything he scrounges, for food.

Originally Posted By: BlueNinja
Well, I guess that explains how Adam is fighting for his life, the only line of defense between Newborough and a rampaging Aberrant, and Courier's response is, "Oh, don't bother Adam, he's busy." laugh
You have Warp, you could be anywhere. I figured if you needed help you'd ask if I were in range.

Courier, when I wrote that up I hadn't looked at your character so in terms of the questions maybe they we're entirely appropriate but others were. Like Gregory said he's at even MORE of a disadvantage that Courier is in the Intelligence+Skill dept.

Maybe Courier hates that he has to work for the smart guys because of his own short comings, this coud result in him feeling a common bond with gregory or just the opposite seeing in gregory everything he hates in himself.

Jimmy and Raider have shown through their actions to be very willing to help teach/train/educate others. They are the type of Nova who stays in Newborough because they feel it is the bast way to help raise the human race (and yes novas are humans) out of the ashes. Courier, Gregory and Adam look to me to be more mercenary (only time will tell for sure) and Buzz is just too damn stubborn to leave off smile

ANyways back to the point. COurier would react to Gregory in whatever way would be most appropriate. Gregory is new to both the town and the group, his actions show that he wants to help but his character's ignorance of the larger situation has lead him to do something which is not entirely usefull to you guys (at least that is your perception)

Quote:
Like Gregory said he's at even MORE of a disadvantage that Courier is in the Intelligence+Skill dept.
Ironically business sense in abby has nothing to do with intelligence.

My issue with Gregory was that he didn't know...
1) What the Seller wanted (or really what they had).
2) What the Buyer wanted (ditto).
3) But he appeared to want to play middle man.
4) Gregory actually does have something for sale... maybe not for this guy but to someone. He can even prove some of his story if he really wanted to by dropping the names of the other novas involved (whether he wants to admit that there is nothing at the crash site anymore is another issue).

Quote:
Maybe Courier hates that he has to work for the smart guys because of his own short comings...
Courier is well aware of his short comings... but with his current setup he actually gets other people's intelligence to work for him and against themselves. Part of this is Int <> Biz, but the other part is more Int means more things that they want. Also with telepathy to a degree their skills become his skills.

Quote:
...this coud result in him feeling a common bond with gregory or just the opposite seeing in gregory everything he hates in himself.
It may come to that. Gregory is a reminder of what he used to be (albet a more extreme example of that).

Gregory was really trying to fish for information. He was willing to direct the man to the crash site. Of course the site had already been cleaned up, and the obligatory, "Oh my god! What happened to it? it's gone! It was here just a little bit ago," was to follow. It is about how things are worded, and not so much about the way things really are.

Gregory would probably be much better than me at negotation and interrogation. After all, I am only human.

Originally Posted By: BlueNinja
Courier: What I meant was, nobody ICly has told Adam what was on the flight recorder. I don't want Parrot Syndrome, but someone saying that they fill Adam in on what was found would be nice.
Ah, right. We skipped you because you were "busy".

Originally Posted By: Gregory
The flames from the fires. And if you read the power's description, it is possible, with ST ok, to have Absorption work with other attributes and powers.
You'd probably need "Siphon" or whatever that extra is for absorbtion. My book isn't here, and I've never run a character with Absorption so I shouldn't rely on memory, but while I remember 'Other Attributes' I don't remember 'Powers' (or maybe I'm just remembering my last ST slapping down this idea). confused

Jimmy, squint at the engine all you want but EM scan does not confer x-ray vision, you need the High End EM Spectrum for that which is a different power.

The object has long since cooled and is emitting no power so thermal (Infrared) and UV will show little, you'll need to take the outer casing off to see the "guts"

Hey guys I need a consensus from the rest of you guys. I've not heard from Buzz (who was to play a somewhat important roll at this point in the story) and I need to continue the game for the rest of you. Would you prefer that I take over the character and NPC him until we hear from Buzz (or I can write him out) or should I backtrack and rework the story moving forward with Buzz's actions after the crash site being removed?

Lemme know what you guys would prefer, in the meantime I will PM Buzz and see if he'll be back.

Archived