Character Contest - Month Six

Ashnod

Funny. I don't have any witty introductions when it comes time to offer this one up as sacrifice to the literary deities.

Sufficed to say I've been warned that if any of my alts were selected that I would personally endure great pain and suffering, so those who threatened me bodily harm can relax.

This is Ashnod's month, though poor Sherazahde is weeping that her typist would be maimed and tortured if she were taken from the hat.

Ashnod stories may be submitted from June 17th through July 15th.

Sufficed to say I've been warned that if any of my alts were selected that I would personally endure great pain and suffering, so those who threatened me bodily harm can relax.

By who?

I cry FOUL!!!!! or is that fowl?

Anywho, why did I get Neil (not that I minded), but we don't get one of your alts?

Anywho, why did I get Neil (not that I minded), but we don't get one of your alts?

Because I drew Neil from the hat, and then asked you if you wanted to substitute another character, and you said no, Neil was fine?

I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that I'm not part of this little cabal. On the one hand, it looks fun as all heck. On the other, I'm a dreadful writer...and more than a little afraid to see just how badly Timeslip looks in the reflected eye... smile

Authors are notoriously poor critics of their own work, TS.

There is no prize in this, its just a contest to fire up our creativity and explore each others characters. Heck, it doesn't even have to be an Aberrant story. I'm still facinated with the story Kirby did for Neil Preston, which was totally non-Aberrant, but a wonderful personality scetch.

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect that at some point, I'll finish writing all the stories that I missed out on. I did have plans for most of the characters here, simply that I don't seem to be capable of writing for the moment. Perhaps at the end of the contest, I'll let people have a look at what I had planned.

But I thank you for the compliment...

Hooooooooooooooookay.

Time for my thoughts. smile

Tarot: YAY! You posted something! Thanks for the poem, and in Kanji/Hiragana no less!

Samhra: ....bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! Reminds me of the Jenny Jones Show incident that's referenced in 1,001 Aberrant Nights. Thanks for making me smile.

Troll: Reading this, it feels like a blurb out of the Teragen book. Which makes me feel all warm and squishy inside. It feels like more of a meditation on Teras than an actual Ash story, but as a little blurb on Teras and the Teragen it's effective. Were you submitting this for canon, btw?

Wakinyan/Totem: The only problem I have is the dorming down bit at the end, which is kind of out-of-character. Otherwise, I loved it. I've written something startling similar that I've never posted for obvious reasons, so it's cool that you got inside Ash's head enough for there to be parallels.

Jager: I think this was very well-written and the effort involved in making it is impressive, however...this feels like a player's response to GODS MAKE LOVE. Kind of a "getting that last word in." I'm trying very hard to see this as something other than an episode of "Jager-Knows-Best," where a clueless and naive Ashnod knows nothing and all-knowing Jager is there to answer every one of her questions, or correct her "assumptions" of him. But after three readings, if there is some other point you wanted me to see, I'm failing to grasp it. Similar to what happened with Endeavor's story. I can't accept it as canon, but you probably anticipated that from the get go.

Prodigy: You did a story about how a chrysalized nova screws with the baseline mind. Thank you. Loved it. Ash getting pizza is a bit odd, but since it's, you know, the best pizza, well, you know...ONLY the best for Lizzie. wink

Winner: Prodigy - Reactions.

First off, I think that if the author has to explain his/her piece, they have not done a good job. Oh well.

I wrote the story for three reasons. Yes, I wrote the story as a response to God’s Make Love, but that was not my primary motivation behind it.

I wrote the story thinking that most of the other stories would be about how wonderful/powerful/inspiring Ashnod would be. I didn’t want to do that, but being contrary wasn’t my main motivation, either.

My main motivation comes from an earlier fiction that Ashnod and I wrote, involving Ashnod and Preston. At the end of that, Ashnod did something that caught me totally off guard. No, not the thing she did healing those people in the hospital. When she promised to kill people as a threat to counter Preston, it struck me as so totally the wrong thing to say, and it struck me as such a flawed line of reasoning. The more I thought about it, the more the germ for this story grew. Until Ashnod’s name came up, I didn’t know how to introduce it.

I think my greatest mistake in this piece was including Jager because it ended up detracting from the greater story I wanted to tell. The story I wanted to tell was about a flawed Ashnod, looking at those flaws and thinking about them. I didn’t want to tell a tale about how far she has come, but how far she still has to go.

I don’t think anyone denies that Ashnod is powerful, impressive, inspiring. I was trying to write her as something more than an iconic figure. I wanted to write her as someone real.

I can see that. Very good idea, too. I think you're correct that having someone other than Jager would have made the idea more clear, and far more stronger. Given the history between Ashnod and Jager, it was difficult for me to see past this being about THEM and instead being about HER.

Thanks for the extra info, hon. Very much appreciated.

Archived