Aberrant: Nova Reality - Any Novas in the Midwest?

Interceptor

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lemmy, if we can be gods, why can't we be superheroes? Are there no elemental spirits of light, goodness, purity? Just because the superhero gig was tainted by Utopia's blundering and politicing, doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

Ronin, did you ask Ashnod/Cosmic Girl why she wanted to join? I've got some ideas as to why, and I'm probably wrong, but if I'm not it would be truly remarkable (not to mention amusing) social experiment. Heck, even if that's not why, it will still be remarkable. Here's hoping she joins.

I thought this discussion about us being gods has its own thread. If we are gods, we are really faulty ones. Like the old mythological superior beings in the ancient cultures. They were too ungodly, too human mentally to be real gods.

Sorry, I put this post to ask Interceptor a question. I have secured the affaires of my agency and I´m free for you. What do you need me to do?.

Alchemist, I´m happy that you are well and looking to participate in this venture. Welcome aboard mate!.

Nah don't make that your reasoning. Listen to Lemmy's lyrics sometime. Listen to what he is saying. You can literally listen to him evolve through his music. If you listen to his performance at the amp room (Not that it was the main event) you can feel he has shifted to something else. Maybe he is in love or at least found a muse. I know if I had a muse I'd want her wrapped in a Eufiber ribbon.

He might not have all the right ideas in his head right now but we have to respect the artist within. We all come around eventually, true evolution never ends.

Quote:
Originally posted by Interceptor:
Tangent, I don't have a better answer for you unfortunately. The main things offered were high salaries, and control over your image and likeness. With that kind of deal you could probably pursue sponsorship from a restaurant chain. Also, since nothing has truly been negotiated yet, an arrangement like you're thinking of could be worked into the contract. Such as having a caterer or cook on staff. I do have an agent working for me, and that could possibly help out, she's trying to get the best deal possible.
Hmm I am not really in it for the money but I will take it. Folks need to earn a living somehow right? I should pay for my food really and help support all the fine eateries around the city. Just PM me whatever offer comes up.

I'm not completely sure yet Alchemist. I've been trying to narrow it down, but it looks like some decent sized investors in real estate and the financial sector. Looks like they're interested in protecting their investments. One pharmeceutical company is definitely involved; Brickstone and Associates. N! is looking to get in on this also, they've contacted my agent at any rate. Lastly the University of Chicago has a lab that wants to correspond and collaborate with the team, if one gets formed.

Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay, Interceptor, but it looks like I should be able to join up alright. smile My parents were kind of difficult about it, but hey - I'm an adult, so there's not much they can do.

My mom's actually demanding that I show her any contracts before I sign anything *rolls eyes* but I guess that makes sense - she's a contract lawyer, or whatever. So, yeah - technically, I'm taking her on as my legal council. Just so you know, ok?

And, again, hi everybody! I don't think I've met ... well, any of you now that Sakurako's gone, but drop by once you get in the city. I guess I can show you around if Interceptor's busy with setting stuff up. It'll be fun! And, Inteceptor: if you need me to show up somewhere or help you out with something, just let me know!

Well, we have this, both from the Nova formally known as Ashnod:

I think this works as a new handle. After all, my old name had too much negative baggage. If I'm going to be a hero, I need to be more user-friendly.

... and ...

As for motivation, it is simple, my fine-feathered friend. Dr. Smith's dogged perseverence has given me new insight into my evil ways, and I figure that if I spend a few months around true heroes and doing heroic deeds, I shall likely return to the path of righteousness.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Well, we have this, both from the Nova formally known as Ashnod:

As for motivation, it is simple, my fine-feathered friend. Dr. Smith's dogged perseverence has given me new insight into my evil ways, and I figure that if I spend a few months around true heroes and doing heroic deeds, I shall likely return to the path of righteousness.
Isn't that almost a direct rip from that old Evil Overlord's Handbook thing that is still circulating some corners of the OpNet?

I think someone's having fun fucking with everyone.

Yes, it is indeed, Salamander. My sense of humor is a little seen side of me here, enough so that someone felt it appropriate to call me dry white toast. After my little sparring match with Dr. Smith, I felt the forums needed a little kick in the humorous so to speak.

However, do not think that the remainder of what I have said recently should be accepted in the same vein. I am serious about this.

Understand, I am still myself. I have not radically reinvented my personality, and I am not a shiny happy example of four-color morality. I am not under the mind-control ray of Mr. Newman's supposed conspiracy. Novas are a different species from baselines, etc, and all my old arguments still apply.

One of those was the one I said recently about Preston. Preston understands that he is not human yet chooses to help baseline humanity. That is his path and his choice and nothing is inherently wrong with it. I chose to make a similar choice.

Recently, Mafdet and I were recalling conversations we had with Thomas "Father Tom" Thaddeus, a former Catalyst and one unfortunately departed from this world. Father Tom believed that as baseline humanity was placed on this earth as the caretakers of a great garden, to care for its life and the lives of the animals given to them as companions, so to were Novas placed upon the earth to now care for the humans who needed it.

We began to ponder this. Was this the ultimate expression of separation/education/integration? The goal of it, where Nova and baseline understood that Novas were the superior animal meant to care for the planet and to replace the dominance of the flawed creation that had came before them?

That is what this all about, Salamander, Mr. Roberts, and all those who doubt our sincerity.

We must demonstrate that we can care for this world, baseline humanity included, so that when integration takes place, it is understood what our roles in that multi-species civilization will be.

I thus shed my former public face and adopt one that others will find initially more comforting. In time, as trust as gained, such things will not be needed.

I am not saying this so that you can openly nitpick it apart and debate the finer points of it. Some of you have asked for a reason, now you have it, and it was easier to address them all at once. If you wish to discuss my plans, please do so in PM.

Continuum Girl...we've had a bit of a snare. I have to run background checks on everyone that has tentatively accepted. Not anything that isn't already compiled mind you. The files on you from N! alone though...

I'm just saying it could make things difficult. Not trying to be judgemental or anything. The same applies for Mafdet and..you too Jager. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is a snag.

I don't doubt your or anyone's sincerity, but it might take some finagling and assurances to accomplish this. Any ideas? I'm new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

Continuum Girl, I never once doubted your sincerity. I have simply said that if your motives are what I suspected (they are), then this would be a truly grand experiment (it will be). If this endeavor becomes well known, then your participation may spread trust and good will for your movement (both things that it is sorely lacking at the moment). While this is not in my normal line of study, I will be keeping an eye on social trend research while you and Mafdet are participating.

By the way, I prefer Ashnod, but I will honor your choice of name

Interceptor, if it helps at all, I am willing to vouch for Continuum Girl. I am quite certain of her sincerity. What she is doing is a logical step for some members of the Teragen to make, and I am only surprised that it has taken someone this long to make it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well now, I suppose since I have officially dropped any involvement with this project, I should leave some parting words.

It was all a joke, people.

When this thread was started, something wicked sprung up in my head. A call for a hero team? Is that not something that would be the furthest thing from my involvement? If I volunteered, would that not be amusing to everyone? I certainly believed so at the time. It was amusing to me.

The words were simple. Sign me up. Will anyone comment on them? Surely, someone would just say "Nice one, Ashnod."

But the first response threw me for a loop. My intentions weren't in doubt, but what were my motivations?

I decided to draw the joke out. Given the long-winded thread with Dr. Smith, I decided to reference that and the Evil Overlord list Salamander referred to. "Return to the path of righteousness," indeed. As if I would ever utter those words as anything but a joke.

Surely, surely, that would be found humorous.

Still, more people taking me seriously.

So, I had to re-evaluate this. How far could I actually take this? I could make a complete mockery of it by destroying my own image, dress in a gawdy and disgraceful costume like any number of four-color characters.

Enter, Continuum Girl.

Change my sig line to something less menacing.

"Providing assistance, anytime, anyplace."

I could illustrate to everyone watching, victimizing myself by adapting a few of the issues I resent most about the current state of Nova/baseline relations, just how absurd and patently stupid this venture was.

Even as complex as this bit of humor was becoming, surely it would still be taken only for humor, right?

More supportive responses...

More confusion. Did everyone actually get the joke, but were trying to turn the tables on me by supporting it? (I am positive some of you will feel the need to admit this, even if it was not the case) Did you actually believe it? More to the point, were you actually hopeful that I was sincere? Intrigued, I decided to continue on.

Then Apep expressed her interest, and no one voices protest. No one asks how serious she is. This must be everyone playing along with the joke of it, it absolutely must be. A hero team with Apep and myself, and nobody is crying foul? People want us to participate?

So I begin taking another approach to this. What if I DID participate? What could I accomplish? What would happen if I did?

Most baselines do not like being in my presence. Aside from my reputation, and my philosophy, they simply do not like being near. One of the many effects of following Teras and changing as a result of it. How would they react to me being a rescuer? Would they spit in my face? Shy away, or even better, mistake me for being the one responsible for their predicament? Would THAT not be the most deliciously ironic moment to happen, especially if it was witnessed?

I get word that this whole arrangement is going to have cameras following it around.

PERFECT.

Especially if I take this Continuum Girl idea even more seriously. What then? Not just the forums, but the world at large seeing my former, imperious self turned into a cartoonish mongrel. Not only self-respecting Novas, but the baselines themselves, could see the folly in this? Could see how damaging and harmful it could actually be?

The cameras are going to follow us around and record our day-to-day life?

EVEN MORE PERFECT.

When they see me, not the public face but me, see what the Nova behind the hero was really like, would that not be a disturbing contrast? Would that not be a fine wedge to drive between expectation and reality?

I decide I'll go forward with this. I post an explanation to Salamander and Totem that contradicts almost everything I have said in the past while sounding just enough like it to mask the truth. I come out and say that I am going to demonstrate Nova supremacy.

And nobody who expressed interest for the project expressed any concern over my intentions? Nothing to say about that? Alchemist is willing to put his reputation on the line for me, AFTER I announce I am going to show the world that Novas can care for the planet better?

Surely...this is just part of the joke, right?

Perhaps it was. Some of you will doubtlessly chime in one way or the other, and it really does not matter in the end to me how you felt.

Then, of course, the inevitable red tape begins to show its face. Interceptor's original idea, or what it appeared to me at the time, was a group of independent Novas doing whatever they could free of tethers to help out. That caught my eye, it is why I even bothered to follow this idea in the first place. But now the tethers are out, threatening to wrap themselves around the participants, and any message I could have delivered would be distorted or outright censored. As it is, the controllers of this group had enough sense that the very idea of me and Apep being part of it was not what they had it mind. Although some members of this team-to-be offered their assistance in getting us in, nothing I desired to do is worth the humiliation I would have to endure to participate, if the sheer embarrassment of actually wearing those dangly antennae and sailor fuku would not have been sufficient.

That is the story of Continuum Girl. For those of you who found the whole thing amusing, I am glad to bring a smile to your face. For anyone who knew what I intended to do and supported those goals, thank you. I am certain to hear about this in Ibiza for decades to come, but if any of my intentions actually got through, and were understood and an epiphany followed, it was worth it.

heheheh

Funny little buggers are they not? And by they I mean everyone involved here of course. I still do not understand why no one bothered to question my intent. Perhaps it was too obvious. Perhaps not. But the jig is up and the joke is over. Sad that I did not have the time to properly enjoy. The very notion of my personal life being recorded and the thought of their likely reaction, I suppose the amusement I gain from that will have to do.

However,I rather enjoyed the feline appearance. Maybe I'll keep it for a while. but the name Mafdet belongs to another and it is time I return it to her.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Just going on record that I took Ashnod's desire to team up with Interceptor and Co. to be sincere from the get-go.

If you look pass the thin surface distortions, her reasoning should be obvious.

Now, as to the persuasive properties of the Good Doctor Troll ... mmmmm .... no.
Yep. I never doubted your intention to ridicule. I just didn't know how far you would let it go.

Archived