City-Building: Cape Town

Jess OOC

The IC location for the SPI games on RPG Post is Cape Town and the surrounding area in South Africa.  It's a cosmopolitan city with an amazing mix of ultra-modern and ancient tradition, has a very large English speaking population, is a major port, and is the centre of politics for South Africa.  This thread is dedicated to "city building" in Cape Town:  fleshing it out for the purposes of our World of Darkness games.  My AMST-Dark Places on the Map, Peter Gilmore, is heading this up, but everyone is very welcome to pitch in. :)

There is a South-Easterly wind in the summer they call the "Cape Doctor."  It's sort of irritating, I'm told, but the populace once believed it was responsible for freeing the area of pestilence and "bad air."  The truth of the matter is, there is an even stronger wind in the winter.  

I have two friends who moved to the US in their retirement years after a lifetime near Cape Town.  I shall be picking their brains for more interesting factoids next week when I see them.

What first springs to mind that I want to suggest: a few months ago (pre-official chronicle start) there was a rather tragic airplane crash. Big passenger jet came down not far from Capetown off-shore, but most of the passengers died, and rather quickly.

Supernatural occurrence? Something purely normal tragedy? That's for the STs to decide. I bring it up though because my current concept for my Vampire PC has 'em being on that plane and 'surviving.' That is, to wind up Embraced shortly thereafter.

Hello guys! It is I, your architect of all fates future! 

I am here as the AMST-Dark Places on the Map, and I am looking forward to interacting with folks about designing the brand new venue of Capetown, for our launch of the God Machine Chronicles! I'm more than curious to hear from folk who have been to real-world Capetown, and hear people's opinions on the place (both good and bad - it wouldn't be world of darkness if this metropolis only mentioned the upscale neighborhoods and sunshine and rainbows!) 

My goal is to make this city from a non-supernatural perspective appear to be the most living city one has ever played in in an online capacity. I welcome all input into the design of the place, and its surrounds. (Pretty much, I want to give it the ol' GTA 5 treatment! Make this place come to life, for us to have our supernatural adventures in!) 

So, hit me with your best bits of opinion, pictures, even movie references that might be helpful in this scenario!

Devin Sinclair 
AMST-DPotM

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to someone at work.

Apparently it is pretty windy in much of Cape Town, but there are some mountains that mean certain places are not as windy.

Apparently in summer it can get warm, but the wind leads to it feeling colder than it might otherwise.

Cape Town apparently has beautiful beaches.

• 1 month later...

Actually, while we're at it, a good link for a prominent Cape Town news source:

http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news

EDIT:  And oh dear gods, the Carthians should just love these guys.  I give you the Economic Freedom Fighters:  a minority party in Parliament with a Marxist credo which is currently causing a ruckus by planning to wear overalls and hard hats to opening day:  http://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/clash-looms-over-eff-overalls-1.1810338

Archived