Mutants & Masterminds: Heroes United - Chapter 3a: Heroes of Tech and Magic

Justin OOC

"I am exactly who I say I am." he looked at the younger metahuman with a thoughtful look. "I am a man with my own talents, The ability to see the past clearly, the present with a certain ease, as well as Visions of what may come."

"As to my aura, well I cannot say why you cannot see it, but I do have one. You aren't the first to comment on my seeming lack. It could just be an after affect of exposure to Lester's powers so often."

His tone was completely disarming. "Few ever ask of me, beyond what I can do, and why I've sought to walk this path."

-------------

In the lab, Lester moved to one of the large wall panel screens, and activated a small pad, moving his fingers in an impossible to follow dance, as the screen came to life, and began to display schematics of yet to be prototyped nanobots, as well as what what materials they'd deemed needed. "The problem we're seeing, is that there simply isn't enough of the materials for our needs, and to make enough that they'd be able to be brought across the world."

He looked over to them. "Also we were having issues with programming, how we'd make them stop."

The Paladin nodded his un-helmeted head at Lester. "We've already discussed the 'stop' issue. Non-replicating, a central control and source, and a frequency or emission that would stop the nanites. The programming shouldn't be too hard, it's just a matter of how much is in each individual nanite and how much is relayed via the central control."

He stopped and turned towards Dr. Northlight. "Well, you ready to dive in head first?"

Rachael closed her eyes, trying to think. "Materials aren't an issue for these machines, we can use the rubble they'll be going through as the base material for rebuilding. It would take care of two problems, one is the clearing of debris and the other is finding material to use in reconstruction."

She looked over the diagrams. "As for the central "recomp" base, we need to make sure it can be carried in a basic cargo plane or C-130, and sent to a scene via a semi truck's trailer."

Taking her tablet she logged into the headquarter's network. "Alright... the programming itself should be easy. Might need some help on the engineering front in terms of the nano-mechanics."

She smiled, still in full space-girl mode. "And trust me I'm always ready to dive in... I've seen the Titanic firsthand, after all."

Crossing her arms in front of her she looked at her tablet. "Now how much data storage and processing capacity will we have for each unit? Or can we set up a "cloud" type process where most the computing is done at the central factory, with the nanobots more like remote-controlled cars? Wait! Not a cloud process... it can be centralized! Actually that would eliminate one issue right there! If we have the central CPU at the portable factory taking care of directing dumb nanos like remote control cars we can eliminate any rampant nanos getting out... As they don't have CPUs! Just hit the off switch on the central hub!"

She smiled. "Not bad for a bubblehead, eh?" She said, twirling her stylus in her hand. "So, show me how you set up that nano-transister. If we can pull this off, we will have made the smallest remote control machines in the world!"

Lester looked at them. "Can it be made to return to a docking station of some sort, say something the size of a volkswagon? We want it to be small, easily transportable and reusable if possible as well. (you guys can make your rolls, and we'll count it as the first week of development. Keep in mind, the book's not the law here, I am. Make your rolls and I'll reply with how well things go.)

-----------------

Andery put the box away and looked over to Magus. "Do you have any other questions for me?"

[stargaizer] 3:29 pm: Invention technology skill check

Stargaizer *rolls* 1d20: 11+20: 31
[envoy] 3:30 pm: whew!
[stargaizer] 3:33 pm: Prototype DC (Create 1 (Innate, Precise, Subtle, Permenant)=5) = 15 ,,

DC is by the book, but as previously mentioned, Justin is the final word

Rachael stretched. "Well, time to get to work then." She said, beginning her coding work while observing Paladin, learning some of his tricks of the trade...

Babe Ruth Calls the Shot...
[Rebecca OOC] 3:06 pm: And it seems it's Rollan time for Rache.
[Rebecca OOC] 3:08 pm: In fact should I declare I take ten and get a 30 to my technology "roll"?
[Rebecca OOC] 3:08 pm: Or should I toss the bones to see if I can get that 20 and end up with a total of 40 for the roll?d
[Rebecca OOC] 3:09 pm: I got a 50/50 chance of doing better than 30.
[Rebecca OOC] 3:09 pm: Ah hell let's do this, can't re-roll anyways.
[Rebecca OOC] 3:09 pm: Technology Roll +20
Rebecca OOC *rolls* 1d20: 20+20: 40
[Rebecca OOC] 3:10 pm: O.O
[Rebecca OOC] 3:10 pm: CALLED IT!
[Rebecca OOC] 3:10 pm: CAN I GET A WITNESS!
[Abyss Phantasia] 3:10 pm: saved
[Rebecca OOC] 3:11 pm: Like Babe Ruth.
QHgCrkA.jpg

Magus regarded the business man before him carefully. He couldn't shake the feeling there was more to this man than he claimed, but what could he do? He wasn't breaking any laws that Magus was aware of. having no aura and being able to handle powerful artifacts without setting them off wasn't exactly a crime either. "No," he finally said.

"But some advice. Put that thing somewhere safe; somewhere an unsuspecting person won't come into contact with it," he said with as much authority as he could muster. "Good Day Mr. Focht."

With that Magus muttered a string of unintelligible words and vanished, appearing back in the same spot he originally appeared in, for one last scan of the building.

Andery nodded, and some time after Magus left removed the box, looked at it, and then took it to one of the building's vaults. Securing it within one of the many safety boxes there, he then entered it in the registry, and went on about the rest of his day. Magus for his part found it easy to get back to his routine, and over the next three weeks, several magical disturbances required his attention, and there was little further thought on the curio and whatever it was that Andery was doing.

,, ,,

-----------------------------

In the lab, the Braintrust made astonishing leaps of innovation, some they knew of, some of course, they did not. By the end of that timeframe they had fully constructed the system Andery Desired, enough at least to begin field trials of it at the next major incident of property damage within the city.

,, ,,

Somewhere A surge flared, and an spark of cognizance was fanned into the first ember of intelligence, a desperate need to know, to understand. Deeper, within the vault, the small Curio began to metaphysically "Tick."

(End chapter 3 PP)

Archived