Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Fiction - Mission 1: The Trip of a Lifetime

The Traveler

Yomiko saw Daniel was a bit disturbed by what happened. "Well, let's get busted-tail over here back to the ship. We can talk you and I once we're in a calmer setting... I was sort of hoping our trips wouldn't be like this but... I'm sorry..."

Yomiko shook her head, worried that Daniel was about to leave once they returned to the normal continuum she was familiar with. "To be honest I thought this would be more fun... then the Hive had to take one last stab at things."

A helicopter starts approaching from the approaching hovercarrier. "That's our ride I think..."

Rebecca sighed. "I think Kat's gonna kill me for wrecking her plane..."

= Back at the carrier... =

Yomiko sat on the deck of the massive ship as it slowly made it's way back, looking a bit forelorn. She told Daniel she would be there, to clear her head.

"How did you do it, Mom... how did you do it...."

Daniel gave an account of what happened when asked, and of course the sensors had recorded his power output, tipping his hand at how strong he was.

He smiled done with all of that for now, as he set off across the deck of the ship as she hovvered low over the ocean. He sat down next to her. "Penny for your thoughts, Yomiko?" He nodded. "Though I could be persuaded to raise the offer, or make offers other than monetary//"

It was the same easy carefree attitude he'd always shown her.

"I... I don't feel I properly warned you on what you may run into... what we will run into... as we travel. It's a dangerous lifestyle I lead, Daniel. After today I think you also know the stakes." She sighed. "I didn't want you to face that responsibility you were forced to handle and I am sorry."

She gets up, placing her hands on his shoulders. "To be honest... I can't wait to return home myself... at least to familiar universes and familiar faces."

"Thing is... I don't like running away. I run to the unknown, to see things before they disappear. To have a look at the new, the amazing..."

"What I should say... and ask... is what do you think?"

"Not how I planned our first date on the beach, to say the least." He smiled and took her hand in his.

"I'm still here with you Yomiko, until you give me cause to leave, or send me away."

He breathed deeply and the air warmed around them, fighting some of the wind's chill. "I would like to go somewhere where we can relax, just you and me, without me having to kill something or fight some alien demigod."

"No pressure though. Aside from worrying about you when you took off, It hasn't been a bad day. Interesting, but not bad."

Yomiko smiled. "Then I know of just the place... there is a universe I know where there is a beautiful space station with a massive indoor park and lake. Always summer climate. It has a beautiful view of the Orion Nebula. We could rest there and maybe enjoy the tourist traps there to boot."

She smiled as Rebecca limped up to meet them.

"Well, Yomiko... you fixed my problem... bit sore but it's at least healed... I... made a consideration while I was below deck... This universe... this place... it's not mine. I really can't start here."

Yomiko quirked an eyebrow. "You are NOT hijacking my ship, Miss. You go there and I don't want to be responsible for your entry to oblivion."

"I'm not going back there either... It's not my world... my continuum anymore either."

Suddenly she heard an echo... of her Mother's past. "Well... I and Daniel are going to take some R&R... you are welcome to come with us. AS LONG AS YOU BEHAVE."

The sound of slightly heavier footsteps comes up from behind Rebecca. An android wearing a spare set of coveralls and long blonde hair appears next to Rebecca.

"There was a... spare work droid whose CPU burned out. The engineers placed my black box into it and I am currently running at 1% nanite population and interface." The android stated looking at Daniel and Yomiko.

"Oh... I got a message from the Bartender. He thanked you two for helping." Rebecca said. "Also, Three has decided to stay here with him to help him out. Said it would teach her responsibility."

Yomiko grinned. "About time. She's off to a good start. You know... your Android friend is welcome aboard as well."

The Android nodded. "I really need a name though. My designation as a operating combat asset no longer really fits my current state."

"How about... Tetsuko?"

The android nodded as Kat spoke up over the loud speakers. "Okay you lovebirds... The Bartender has opened his Trans-Continuum conduit back to your home continuum. You got 30 minutes so pack it up and get going!"

"Well... Daniel..." Yomiko offered her arm. "...time to enjoy the fruits of our labors, no?"

It wasn't long before the group was standing around the console of the Hikari Maru. Yomiko playfully set her course and sat in her chair near the main view-screen.

"Alright... Odd our first trip will be to relax but... you never know. Might meet someone interesting... might save some marooned cruise ship... who knows..."

Daniel quirked an eyebrow. "Hey... I'm not in control of fate."

She smiled sheepishly, knowing that if anything bad happened where they were going... it might be her that could need rescuing.

= FIN =

Archived