Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - [Interlude - Alexandra 1] In The Jungle

SalmonMax

(Timeline - After "In the Light of Day" and "InThe Pale Moonlight")

It was early morning when Morrigan heard footsteps coming up to her bedroom door just before a polite knock. She hadn't been awake long, and hadn't quite started to do anything yet. Her natural reaction; to tense and slither into a pose suited for pouncing on anyone coming in, was muted when she recognized the scent. One of Shen's kids. The dead one.

She HAD mentioned something about seeing her sometime, hadn't she?

The Morrigan put on some simple clothes and went to open the door. Sure enough, there stood Alex, for all the world looking to the eye like a pretty (all right, more than just pretty...but to one who was used to Jason and Sakura's presence, she was nothing special) young woman. Only the Blood Queen's nose told her differently. Alex's scent was slightly acrid, muted; like a penny wrapped in plastic.

"Good morning," Alex chirped amiably. "I hope it's not too early. I was hoping to get your help with an expedition I'm planning today. Would that be all right with you?"

Morri had been awake and thinking. As was common, her thoughts since the coming of Shen’s ‘children’ had been troubled. Tahir snored from his bed by the fireplace. Before he’d shifted in front of her, he’d shared her bed. Now, she couldn’t sleep with him next to her; the one time she had forced herself into slumber, she’d woken screaming from a nightmare. Tahir didn’t understand, but he had moved to a new bed without complaint.

Part of the problem was that he didn’t understand. Jason’s ability to say, “I understand” and be telling the truth had been oddly comforting. But Tahir had never been faced with such inhumanity and helplessness. He’d have to experience it to understand what it meant but Morri hoped that he never experienced such pain.

She missed his presence though. She missed being able to cuddle up to him like a giant teddy bear and listen to his big lungs draw in air. Morri missed the hard thrum of his heart against his rib cage, drumming her to sleep. She missed waking and turning over to run her fingers through soft fur. She hated that loss but couldn’t bring herself to overcome it, yet.

The knock at the door was almost welcome. As Morri grabbed more clothing and headed for the door, Tahir woke up with a yawn and a massive full-body stretch. “I wish you’d give me more than a few hours notice, but sure,” Morri said. She did sometimes have affairs of state – usually her job was to sit and stare at someone Ein wasn’t particularly fond of at the moment but needed to be friendly with. She rather enjoyed playing the bad cop, especially if it was a male. “I can do something.” She didn’t invite Alex in and instead asked, “What kind of expedition? What gear should I have packed?”

"You can have as much time as you want," Alexandra assured Morri. "It doesn't have to be now. As for gear...you don't need to bring anything. If we need anything in the field I can just make it."

"Anyway, the objective is to obtain a live, or possibly very recently dead, skua for study. The skua are quite rare outside the Congo and their nesting grounds. They're shorebirds so they'd be near the beach. If you don't mind walking, there's a few species of beetle I'd like to see if I can find on the way. So basically, I'd like to see if you know of any places to find skua...and if not, if you'd be willing to help me search."

Morri nodded in understanding; the skua was familiar to her. "Very well. Give us a moment to be ready," she said and shut the door. Turning to the great half-grown lion lazying about on his bed, she asked, "Would you like to go?"

"Yes," Tahir rumbled softly, hopping off his bed with leonine grace and coming to rub against her. Morri smiled and buried her fingers in his thick, short mane, leaning down to press her head to his. Tahir's breathing settled into a deep, content rhythm as the two friends enjoyed each other's company. These intentional moments of companionship where how their bond could be restored. She could touch Ein without fear or flinching. She could get to the point where she could do that Tahir again.

After a moment they parted. Morri grabbed a radio, in case Ein wanted her. Tahir grabbed his eufiber, grinning as the silken collar pulled itself into gold rings in his ears. Morri laughed at him as she snatched up her circlet and draped it in her hair. Then she opened the door and said, "Ready."

If Alexandra noticed Tahir's eufiber trick, she gave no sign. Rather she led the way out of the royal palace to the fountain and garden paths in the courtyard then turned and asked, "Do you need transportation? Air, sea or land...whichever you prefer."

"I can run fast enough to keep up almost anything," Morri said, her voice even and not at all a boast. "If you wish to fly, we will have to discuss the hows and whys." She still didn't trust these powerful children; she didn't know them. How could she believe that they meant her no harm? That they meant her home no harm? She managed a smile she didn't feel. "If you wish, I can carry you on foot, on my back. I have done so many times with others."

Alex grinned, a little touched that Morrigan would offer that when she so clearly still had reservations, and a little amused that she thought it would be necessary. In truth, the Morrigan, despite the rather grandiose name, was turning out to be an interesting person...though the calculator that lived in her head was still weighing her in terms of her obvious emotional connection to Einherjar, and reasoning that a good relationship with her would aid her relationship with the King, which would smooth over talks of aid and support. Another calculator was more intrigued with Morrigan as a case study...though psychology wasn't her field of choice, she'd studied it well enough to teach it in college or outshine baseline profilers in the FBI. Seeing a person rebuilding themselves after a profoundly traumatic event was interesting...and rather life-affirming, even if there was a lingering shadow of tragedy and horror to know that the creature Morrigan was, and would be, had nothing to do with the person she had been. In a very real way, she had died in whatever horror that spawned this new self. And by all evidence, it hadn't been a peaceful, quiet death. For someone like Alexandra, immortal now in body, this 'death of the soul' took on special meaning. Could it happen to her?

"I'll be fine, one way or another. Besides, you'll probably want to carry your lion friend. Lead the way and I'll keep up."

"Unless you weigh a lot, then you and Tahir would not be an issue." Morri tilted her head. "Aside from space and balance. Nor does Tahir have to come."

"It's good that he can," Alex said with a smile. Surely having a friendly, furry face around would help keep her calm.

"Yes." Morri leaned forward slightly and the lion easily hopped into place on Morri's back. His paws looped over her shoulders and his hind claws caught at her pants. When he was settled, Morri looked at Alex. "Did you have a path in mind? Or were you hoping I would provide that?"

"We will fly and run to the coast to start," Morri said, making the decision. "Once closer, we will slow and look for your beetle. Unless you will tell me that the beetle is not found near the coast?" As they were speaking, the feral started to lead them out of the palace. She walked past all of the guard stations without pausing, or them attempting to stop her. Tahir followed them with a lazy yawn, shaking his shaggy mane.

• 3 months later...

Archived