[OpNet] How far have we gone?

Wakinyan

How far have any of us gotten out into space?

Not talking about humanity.. They can't get out there without blowing themselves up half the time.

No I mean Novas, How far?

I recall some of the Daedelus league went out as far as Jupiter but that was over five years ago. Where are we now? Any of you know from personal experience? Believe it or not I have been our into space once not so long ago.. Just the moon but still it was impressive. I do admit though I was VERY out of my element.

I'm almost certain I could do it.

Once I'd gotten over erupting, I started out small, making little hops within my line of sight. I was worried about sticking myself inside an unexpected object or wall at the destination. After a few days of that I progressed to jumping to places that I knew very well. I've gotten a lot better since then. On my current job doing medevac, when I get an emergency call I punch the address into my mobile and get a map from Google OpNet. Using just online maps, I've hit within a few meters of the mark every time. It's not even a challenge.

I'd do some trial runs first, of course. Maybe out to the Moon and back, or something like that. I think the real challenge would be the trip out, not the trip back. If I know a place well, I can hit it without effort, so bouncing back to Earth, or my apartment for that matter, should be easy. A faraway planet, on the other hand, is a fuzzy indistinct dot, way out there. Making a precise jump would be hard, really hard. It might work better if I set out from an observatory. If I were looking through a very powerful telescope, it'd be a lot easier to visualize my destination.

So. . . anyone have a space suit I can borrow? This is starting to sound like a good idea to me.

Can you provide your own transportation and protection from vacuum, Long? Unfortunately, I've had problems carrying too much mass along with me when I teleport. At one crash scene, a morbidly obese man had wrapped his compact car around a bridge support.* He must have been at least a 400-pounder, and I nearly blew my brains out trying to get him to the ER.

On a trip to space, I'd be carrying my own space suit on my back, and that would not leave me with a lot of surplus carrying capacity.

(* I don't think he got into his car, as much as he put it on. He was huge.)

Well, Flicker, I can help out with your needs. Not to mention give you the proper carrying capacity to have any extra gear you may need.

Let me elaborate a little... I can grab you a space suit, and some lifting gear. Perhaps even a mover-drone. I'll happily allow you to borrow some gear. Hell, I might take a trip myself when the time allows.

I've been meaning to take a little trip to the moon, perhaps to set up a vacation home. I got the stuff to do it, darn it. It's what I really built my dome designs for.

Heck, I can honestly say I'm probably the only known Nova to have a little vacation cottage in hard vacuum! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a little time walking/flying around on Mars, back in 2007. The peace and quiet was good for the soul. And there's is nothing to compare with hanging in the void of space over the rings of Saturn.

It gave me a sense of awed perspective, one that stays with me. I felt small, but connected to every iota of the vastness around me. Someday, novas will go to other star systems (if they haven't already), and that will be a grand adventure.

Well... I am planning on getting a nice vacation home on Luna. I already have all the materials and gear I need, and I can get there.

I just have to figure out some sort of supply chain, so I don't run out of supplies, and a constant communications connection to Terra so I don't lose touch with my terrestrial concerns.

I'm thinking of putting my little dome complex near the Sea of Tranquility about within binocular view of the Apollo XI landing site.

Don't worry, I don't want to do anything to it, and if I do want to see it up close, I'll fly to it and not disturb the footprints there. I'd like to put up a 1 mile no-visitor zone near that site, to preserve the original state of the area.

It is history after all, and it should be preserved. In Vacuum.

The holy mother of latex fetish made manifest, much like the western tainted aboriginal power fantasy you see in the morning, isn't crazy. But of course that wasn't what you meant at all. Something I consider amusing in light of the incredible depth of your ignorance. Which over looks the "deep cultural significance" of the trappings you bear of the primitive civilization that birthed you on its long lingering death bed, however, that is just a sling I will have to suffer.

The truly horrific aspect of your existence is simply the fact that like so many of your peers better men have died. Cherish your ignorance.

Wow wow don't get testy.. I am sure you are right. Cuthulu or chewbacca is just waiting in one of those dark craters ready to gobble us up.

I shouldn't be so dismissive.

Hey Flicker we can snag some suits and some flashlights. We can be like Scooby and the gang..

Crusader can be Fred, You can be Daphny, Endeavor is Velma, Neil will be Shaggy. I of couse will play Scoob.

Together we can teleport to the moon inside some super modified mystery machine van and look for alien moon ghosts!! I have always wanted to say "Yoinks!" a lot. It will turn out that old man Doc Crow was dressing up as a Alien Moon Ghost all along so he could buy the lunar theme park.. And he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for us darn kids!

Case in point as another of the peers speak out. Yes I'm certain its Cthulhu, the proper spelling for the personification of Howard Phillip Lovercrafts existential angst, that obstructed 38.2% of the neutrinos passing through certain sites on the moon recently.

Oh yes. That would explain it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra Foster:
Who are you? What are you? Who moved the rock?
More intelligent than you, more perceptive than you, and less likely to confuse personal desire with emipirical causality. In a manner highly unlikely to be comprehended without diagrams to limit your inclination to conceptual failure, the rock was originally moved by the apocryphal Nedd Ludd. Try even a poor search. Who knows, it might even give you a link to a pretty picture "Cassandra."

Only one opnet search later and already you're committed to conceptual failure. It's a pity you failed to find a site with a pretty diagram to keep your efforts focused "Cassandra." I take it you're unfamiliar with the definition of apocryphal or the proper use of a dictionary. And yes I am a complete waste of your time as there won't be any fingerpainting.

You're just a world of chuckles there, "Doctor". You're also pedantic as all hell. Still, I suppose that I'll now have to run through the files and make damned well sure that the various Foster Foundation branches know that you're on the "rubber room" list. Thus, the mention of wasted time; we have enough crackpots coming to us with nutty schemes as it is.

You see folks, that is why, in general, a mad scientist is less desirable than a garden-variety scientist.

In all diligence it must be pointed out the odds of your little foundation being approached for even the small change hand outs the Foster Foundation is accustomed to dealing with are somewhere between zero and... No it's basically zero.

Please continue to console yourself with the notion that you'd refuse me even if I were forced to lower my standards to that degree.

• 4 months later...
Quote:
Originally posted by Flicker:
A few nights ago, I was looking up at the sky and saw Saturn. A little voice in the back of my head told me I could hit it from where I stood.

Anyone have a space suit?
A mere five months and six days after I wrote the above, I finally got off my tuchus and did something about it. This afternoon in a space suit thoughtfully provided by Long, I teleported to the orbit of Saturn on my first try.

"Happy" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

Like Zeus, I have stood at the Summit of Mount Olympus...

All humor and egotism aside, I have stood atop Olympus Mons on Mars. Have been to Mars several times, it is a wonderful place but though it has an atmosphere you still need an either quantum-based of mundane means of protection. The pressure and composition of the atmosphere is as I am sure you are aware of insufficient nature/level to sustain corporeal life.

Plan to take a trip out to the Belt at some point. My ultimate goal is Interstellar of course, though I am "a bit" away from that.

Mars is not a problem for me. I could take others if they could survive the surface conditions.

My congratulations Flicker on your trip. Comet is right, the beauty of the Black Ocean cannot compare to anything on this small world.

Archived