Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - Descisions & Dilemmas [4.0]

A mega-perceptive in a place designed to positively stimulate all her senses, it took a heartbeat or two for her to collect herself enough to not have her chorus drift out of synch when she answered, to not react to the situation like he was an imediate threat despite the fact she could count the number of Novas outside her adoptive family she'd been this close to on her fingers.

"Thank you," she replied, grateful for an anchor to focus on with Darrik's aparent incapistation, thoughts churning back into place, "I... Is it that obvious this is my first time here? I'm sorry, but this place is *amazing*. I was a little overwhelmed and..."

Coraline stopped herself, forcing a sickly smile on her face to keep the self-loathing frown at bay. She was babbling. "I'm sorry; I haven't mingled like this before. Call Me Coraline. Please," went her reboot.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coraline smiled despite herself and nodded, her thoughts bubbling with self-depreciating amusement at how she may have... underestimated the effect of her node's latest blooming on how outsiders reacted to her. It took an effort to focus with the ongoing pleasant distraction of her surroundings, surroundings that if this place was as safe as Darrik told her it was, she'd be glad to just sit in a corner and apreciate for hours on end. A situation was forcing itself though, and... She wasn't completely sure she minded that too much. For the moment anyway. She could always run away if she wanted to. This... was not like the situation with Pip's Apothesis. She *could* run away therefore she didn't *have to*.

"I haven't danced much either," the young metamorph warned with a quick look down from and then back up at his face again, "But... Yes. I'd enjoy that, Norman."

'...I think I'll try this for a while, Darrik. Warn me if you need help and I'll do the same,' Coraline sent via the link into her brother's head in a heartbeat's distracted pulse.

"I might...." Marina said hesitating. "As I said before, Butch. I'm probably a missing person or am legally dead according to the feds. It's hard for them to have me down as anything else, seeing as...." She doesn't want to continue but does so. "What do you think they are going to say in response to a burning house, both parents and the kid apparently missing?" She said shrugging. In her mind, this might give her some clues to where That Man is. And....maybe where her parents are.

Warren replied to Marina, "Missing person isn't going to mean anything with DeVries lawyers on your side. You were missing, now you're not, that's not a crime. Maybe some lawyers exchange paperwork and get some billable hours."

Warren added, "That's close to where I'm at. The mother hunters know about me. We... always ran away a couple of steps a head of them." Warren felt the old familiar pain of that lie but ignored it. 'Always' didn't include the last time.

Warren added, "With Warp, intangibility and what I understand now was precognition, I was built for flight and not fight." Warren nodded to Butch and said, "Sounds like you were pretty hard core. I've got trespass, gate jumping and the like. Not worth anyone's time. There might be a birth certificate in the outback of Tennessee with my name on it. Appalachian Mountains. If no then I'm a non-person, but whatever. More lawyer work."

Compared to his other siblings, Butch guessed he was "hard core". Breaking and entering was the only thing he ever got caught doing that was illegal, but there were other things he'd done or seen his father do that involved some bad folks. There were those CSF loons up in Montreal all those years ago, who thought his dad was some sort of undercover Elite hunting them (ridiculous with a six year old in tow); that turf thing between Heaven Thunder and that biker gang in Toronto they were caught in the middle of; those Cartel dealers in Brooklyn, who wanted his dad to burn a C-Z warehouse in exchange for their silence; all the small time thugs they did things for on the sly or had to watch out for; and always the 'hunters after them...

"Hard core?" Butch shrugged. "Yeah, you could say that. So, I guess you're our second DeVries agent, Marina? Anyone think they're a better fit?"

Darrik turned from the surroundings and smiled at Cora before transmitting the thought: *Good for you. I knew you had to look to yourself to decide. Enjoy, and I'll stay receptive.* "Have fun, you two." Then Darrik sauntered off, eyes searching out the area for some attractive female company.

Isle

The two nova children began to inhale the food they were offered as soon as it was put before them, growing children almost teens, with a nova appetite, meant that it seemed almost as though they could put away their body weight in food. Eric spoke up as they ate. "This is good.. thank you." and Zia almost shy echoed him, thanking him

Rainbow Room

Meanwhile, Norman lead Cora out onto the dance floor and began to join the dance with two other novas, both of them fairly young looking. "These are my friends, Jenna and Morgan.." The music was throbing, with a beat to it that seemed almost to match the heartbeat itself, perfectly... and folks on the dance floor were answering it several different kinds of dance, some of it in the air.

"I'm Coraline," she offered in reply over the beat, that small sincere smile still buoyed by her surroundings. The young metamorph had never really danced since she was a very, very young. Or listened to much 'popular' outsider music ever for that matter. But... this was good music, naturally, well... danceable feeling. And no one was responding in a set way, so perhaps an amauter wouldn't be attacked or marked out for a mistep or three.

Okay, okay. Lub dub lub dub lub dub... Move with the beat, flow with the melody, she remembered her mother wistfully saying. Coraline stopped thinking and trusted herself to respond, let the sound tell her how to move. Her head nodded in time to the beat, her feet shifted gracefully from side to side, right step left step right step left step right, back and forth. Coraline brought her hips and shoulders into the back and forth movement as she let herself be drawn into the beat more, hands making tight little erratically reversing orbits around each other held close to her midsection. The simple, slightly dorky dance of an amautuer unused to dance, but one touched by the grace of a pretty young woman who could dodge bullets and was fully in tune with the world around her and happy doing it.

There was no doubt for that moment. No fear. No past no future, only the now and the beat of her own heart writ larger than life.

Happy that they were happy, Warren winked at the kids and said, "No problem. Don't feel that you need permission or anything to raid the refrig either."

Warren sent to everyone Family question: I was about to explain to the youngsters that we're family. Anyone have any objections or comments?

Within short order, Darrik found a pair of quite beautiful nova women, both in their 20's, he figured, leaning against the wall, chatting to each other. Having found his targets, he took a moment to 'blossom' for them, smile growing so so ravishing and calling, eyes the color of love... Aiming like a hawk and certainly looking for flesh, he advanced on the two. One of them was blonde with deep violet eyes, and an impressive treasure chest. This was almost enough to draw attention from the former's well-rounded luggage at the rear.

The other was not to be missed though too. She was elegantly shaped, long legged and carrying herself with just that manner of confidence that turned men on like wildfire. Of course, Darrik thoroughly intended to have both of them in his bed.

"Hello." He offered, as they observed his presence. "My name is Darrik, and I was wondering if I could have a dance with either of you?"

Click to reveal..
For the sake of record, he's using the Seductive Looks, which IS doubled in effect by Heartthrob for seduction. laugh

Warren sent to everyone Family question: I was about to explain to the youngsters that we're family. Anyone have any objections or comments?

Butch looked over at the kids eagerly chowing down on some food. At their age, he would have done anything for a quiet meal with good people. Sure, he had his dad, but they hardly ever had a table to sit at or much in the way of food, not that it mattered given Butch's unique quantum abilities. Johnny Hellfire was not a chef, but that didn't stop him from throwing together bologna and cheese sandwiches, PB&J's, and Mac and Cheese. His dad would hold a hamburger patty in his hand and ignite it with his own quantum abilities. "Better than barbecue, huh, Butch," he'd say.

He looked over at Warren, and added his mental two cents:

I think we can tell them that we're a family, sure. Are we including them in our family officially then? Is everyone cool with that? They seem like good kids and they're probably better off with us, but I know some of y'all might have some misgivings considering what Zia can do.

Warren mentally smiled, shook himself, and resent, Yeah, sorry, that was confusing. I meant I was about to welcome them into our family. As for Zia, family doesn't mean they can't be annoying or inconvenient. But they hit the radar as two of us.

Now that the conversation is through the network, Epiphany can hear what's being said and chimes in. 'I agree with Maia. We should let them choose. And though Zia may be inconvenient, I didn't get anything from her that suggests spy. Not that I probed. Though at some point, if someone wanted to give me a hand, I've got a bit of a problem here. No one bothered to warn me that not paying attention was a bad thing when brushing hair and having this new insane speed boost. I really don't want to cut it off but I can't get the brush out of this tangle.' Her mental voice sounding more than a bit contrite and frustrated, Pip struggles not to whine.

Originally Posted By: Envoy
"I'm Coraline," she offered in reply over the beat, that small sincere smile still buoyed by her surroundings. The young metamorph had never really danced since she was a very, very young. Or listened to much 'popular' outsider music ever for that matter. But... this was good music, naturally, well... danceable feeling. And no one was responding in a set way, so perhaps an amauter wouldn't be attacked or marked out for a mistep or three.

Okay, okay. Lub dub lub dub lub dub... Move with the beat, flow with the melody, she remembered her mother wistfully saying. Coraline stopped thinking and trusted herself to respond, let the sound tell her how to move. Her head nodded in time to the beat, her feet shifted gracefully from side to side, right step left step right step left step right, back and forth. Coraline brought her hips and shoulders into the back and forth movement as she let herself be drawn into the beat more, hands making tight little erratically reversing orbits around each other held close to her midsection. The simple, slightly dorky dance of an amautuer unused to dance, but one touched by the grace of a pretty young woman who could dodge bullets and was fully in tune with the world around her and happy doing it.

There was no doubt for that moment. No fear. No past no future, only the now and the beat of her own heart writ larger than life.

Despite the lack of knowledge of dancing, extreme natural talent was enough for her to fall into the rhythm very quickly. The other three quickly joined with her pattern, and soon all three of them were dancing together in a single smooth whole that left little doubt that all of them had incredible capabilities. Norman however, was the best of them, he was quite capable on the dancing floor, and had all the right moves.

Originally Posted By: Darrik
Within short order, Darrik found a pair of quite beautiful nova women, both in their 20's, he figured, leaning against the wall, chatting to each other. Having found his targets, he took a moment to 'blossom' for them, smile growing so so ravishing and calling, eyes the color of love... Aiming like a hawk and certainly looking for flesh, he advanced on the two. One of them was blonde with deep violet eyes, and an impressive treasure chest. This was almost enough to draw attention from the former's well-rounded luggage at the rear.

The other was not to be missed though too. She was elegantly shaped, long legged and carrying herself with just that manner of confidence that turned men on like wildfire. Of course, Darrik thoroughly intended to have both of them in his bed.

"Hello." He offered, as they observed his presence. "My name is Darrik, and I was wondering if I could have a dance with either of you?"

Click to reveal..
For the sake of record, he's using the Seductive Looks, which IS doubled in effect by Heartthrob for seduction. laugh

"A Dance with one of us?" Both girls smiled and they moved toward him in a manner that was a mix between predatory and seductive. There were a number of silent signals going between them, but after a moment, the girls seemed to come to a description. "How about with both of us?" They glanced at each other for a moment and then back at him. "Singly or together?"

Warren cleared things up with his mental note, and then his sisters added their two cents. It all made sense to Butch. They might be kids, but they should still make a decision like this on their own and for themselves.

Agreed. We let them choose on their own. I'm with Maia and Pip on not forcing them into anything. So, go on then Warren. You're a pretty non-threatening guy. See what they have to say.

And Pip. I don't know much about the finer points of brush removal. I'm pretty strong, but I'm afraid I'd only rip your hair clean out. Maybe Warren could teleport the brush out or something? Does it work like that? Just a thought...

Warren sent back with a grin, I know much, much too much about hair tangles... but my solution is always to hack it off. It's much easier over the long run. Warren sent a picture of him slicing his hair off and it growing back before lunch.

Well... no one had objected, and Warren thought that everyone was in agreement.

Warren cleared his throat and said seriously to Eric and Zia, "I've got something to say. Each of us has been where you are. On the run from the mother hunters, very glad to be alive and to have something to eat. Uncle Shen, Traveler, saved each of us. Brought us here. Raised us. Trained us. Taught us to consider ourselves family."

"And that's what we are now. And... if you'd like, we'd like you to join."

Warren paused to evaluate how they were taking this.

Darrik smirked at their interest, drawing his lip up in a curl teasingly across his teeth. "Hmm," he said, faking some consideration. "Can't say I would be opposed to both of you at once. Shall we? And while we do so, might I have your names?" Gesturing provocatively to the floor, he led the lovelies with him to the dance floor, and they got into a rush of motion. As the women stood parallel with dark-haired Darrik in the middle, gyrating rather close with mutual sex appeal.

Originally Posted By: Quantum Fire
Despite the lack of knowledge of dancing, extreme natural talent was enough for her to fall into the rhythm very quickly. The other three quickly joined with her pattern, and soon all three of them were dancing together in a single smooth whole that left little doubt that all of them had incredible capabilities. Norman however, was the best of them, he was quite capable on the dancing floor, and had all the right moves.

Amazing. There was simply no other word for how this felt, push and pull, dynamic movement and countermovement that made all involved more real. The sensation of being Nova for the sake of being Nova that made Cora ache in the time between two beats at the fact that she hadn't flown under the open skies at full throttle for years now for fear of discovery by outsiders. At being able to be herself around Slaves even a little for even a little while. At being able to *trust* this much, and the sheer fun of doing so.

Her cheeks flushed with conquering joy as she moved with the others, grin wide and gleaming as her blue-on-black met Norman's for a beat and that joy flared into a small measure of courage to see if she could alloy even a tiny measure of his moves into her own without breaking the web they were weaving together with the others, an improvisation here and there as seemed right and fitting by the demands of the beat and the melody.

Eric and Zia looked at each other a moment, a bit of silent communication going between them. Not the telepathic kind, but more the kind that goes between two people who are fairly good friends, maybe even see each other as siblings. Then, Zia spoke up. "I think, we'd like that, it would be good to have a family again." Eric nodded..

Meanwhile, the dance between Cora and Norman began to grow more intricate, as it continued, she would see that each of the others began to shift their eufiber suits in such a manner to change from beat to beat, light playing over the skin, the outfits shifting and changing with each beat of the drums, almost hypnotic in the way it worked, but not truely hypnotic, no one was doing anything here other then attempting to enjoy themselves.

The two women colored slightly at the compliment from the handsome nova, Darrik's words, smooth charisma and incredible manipulative ability was enough to have them in the palm of his hand. "Agatha" The one on the right replied, as the other one said "Gwen" at the same moment. Though they were superhumanly attractive, neither of them showed any signs of the levels of manipulation Darrik could get up too.

Darrik's eyes drank over their lithe, arousing forms as the tempo of their pace increased. Oh yes, they would be his soon enough. Yes indeed. The dance changed over time, the three getting closer. As Agatha and Gwen made sharp circular turns in one moment, Darrik brushed between them and around to the back of Gwen, grinding again her back, before doing the same to Agatha. His voice grew hot and contained every ounce of seduction he could muster.

"Do you like this?"

Meanwhile, the dance between Cora and Norman began to grow more intricate, as it continued, she would see that each of the others began to shift their eufiber suits in such a manner to change from beat to beat, light playing over the skin, the outfits shifting and changing with each beat of the drums, almost hypnotic in the way it worked, but not truely hypnotic, no one was doing anything here other then attempting to enjoy themselves.

It was almost a letdown when the song wound to a close on a few final defiant beats, the transcendant epiphany of the dance fading to the mere euphoric background sensory overload of the Rainbow Room. Coraline's manner remained invigorated, expression much more reminisant of the teenage girl she let herself be around her family than the suspious guardian she thought she had to be in the outside world of Slaves and Baselines to keep her family safe. The guardian she'd revert to after leaving this unexpected amazing haven. But for now...

"I don't think I caught your friends' names, Norman," she commented in the space between songs, "Or if I did, I forgot them in that... That... I haven't done something fun like that in..."

She laughed, chorus light and happy and quite honestly self mocking at the realization she hadn't done something like this before. Maia and Darrik were going to rib her forever once she told them about this if it kept going like it was.

Eric and Zia looked at each other a moment, a bit of silent communication going between them. Not the telepathic kind, but more the kind that goes between two people who are fairly good friends, maybe even see each other as siblings. Then, Zia spoke up. "I think, we'd like that, it would be good to have a family again." Eric nodded.
Warren nodded and said seriously (and echoed over the link), "Welcome brother, sister."

Warren winked and added dryly, "Next order of business is probably seeing how much schooling you've had."

Cora

"I'm Jenna and this is Morgan.." Norman had actually mentioned the names early on, but the dance had likely beat it out of her. "Listen, this is the main entrance, there are other rooms in here.. usually named after a certain color, to indicate activities, some more interesting then others.. if you really liked that music, there is a room devoted entirely to dancing and music.. not to mention a room for just about any activity under the sun that can be done inside at least."

Darrik

Both of the women he was focusing on were obviously enjoying his attentions, but the way he was focusing on both of them at the same time, and the shear seduction in his tone, had Gwen speak up after a moment. "Are you proposing something?" She glanced at Agatha a moment, whose face had an eager look on it, and then nodded at her friend slightly, the seductive nova really had both girls in the palm of his hand. Then both girls put their arms around his neck, pressing close against him. "Cause we're game for just about anything you have in mind, handsome."

Isle

"Wouldn't cousin work a little better here?" Eric proposed, even as Zia nodded slightly as she looked at the others. "We're new, and younger then the rest of you, still growing, you folks are almost adults.. "

Cora

"I'm Jenna and this is Morgan.." Norman had actually mentioned the names early on, but the dance had likely beat it out of her. "Listen, this is the main entrance, there are other rooms in here.. usually named after a certain color, to indicate activities, some more interesting then others.. if you really liked that music, there is a room devoted entirely to dancing and music.. not to mention a room for just about any activity under the sun that can be done inside at least."

"There's more to this place?" her chorus answered in happy disbelief. But if there was more to this place than the opening... She'd want to come back, much as she'd have to ration herself or else she'd end up no better than an escapist Slave herself. She was better than that.

Coraline nodded at each of them, ending on Norman, "Thank you all for inviting me to join you. This place is... Any idea who designed it? It's the most... well, perfect space I've ever encountered."

Cora

"You mean you don't know Randy Vance? He built this place after Amp Club was destroyed. He got a lot of imput from other novas, including Raoul Ozaiz and Anna DeVris, and some of the smartest novas on the planet, Novality was hired for some of the work, and they say even Sophia Rousseau and Divis Mal made a few suggestions. What's cool is that it's nova only, no baseline monkey's allowed." Norman responded, even as he and his friends lead her to one side of the room, and got her a drink, one that would affect nova metabolism, and handed it too her. "You know, the whole Ibiza Incident a decade ago?

The young metamorph catalogued the names as they were rattled off, resolving to ask about the ones she didn't know off-hand. Serious talent then. Obviously. Heh. Right.

"I'm not that sheltered. Utopia caused the city to blow up by being stupid and was called out on their stupidity for once," Coraline answered simply as she accepted the drink. Her parents had been very... Well, she wouldn't call it happy looking back now, no, but... vindicated at the event. Yeah, that was it. Like they were finally proven right despite a world full of naysayers for once.

She gave the drink a cautious swallow, just enough to taste, still fully attentive and interested in what Norman had to say. It was... good. Strange but good. This would need further experimentation.

"However you like. We've all grown accustomed to thinking of each other as siblings."

She nodded. "I call him Uncle Shen because that's who he always was to me, even when he visited when I was a little girl."

Cora

"Yes, Utopia has a history of making great strides forward in public opinion, doing great good, then overstepping themselves, making some terrible mistake and making themselves look like idiots. It's the result of having a group of baseline monkeys making decisions for nova's I expect." He responded, even as he drank from his own glass.

Isle

Tentatively, Zia spoke up, her manner almost shy as she responded to the statements being made. "Cousin's work better, we're not quite fully part of the family just yet."

Coraline chuckled at the mental image kicked up by that oh-so-blunt dismissal of one the Powers That Be, privately happy to have stumbled on someone displeased with Utopia's descionmaking for whatever reason, darkly tempted against all reason to spill how far that bad descionmaking went even as she sipped another mouthful of the drink.

"A... friend of mine from where I'm training once said that utopia can mean 'nowhere', and that's exactly where they're leading us in the end I think. Nowhere but death and burnout after a lifetime of slavery," she hazarded into the conversational gap with a nervous smile, "At least as long as it keeps following Baseline needs in total exclusion of ours anyway... Umm, sorry if I offend. My parents kept me very sheltered growing up, off the grid, and my tutors haven't really pushed me yet to go beyond that. That's kind what I'm here to do honestly. A little. I don't really know. Upset at a friend of mine and I don't want to be around her."

As Darrik involved himself in his fun, a slow change was beginning, one that he really wouldn't notice at first, so much was he indulging himself. The young nova's powers grew as his node reacted to the effects of a 2nd generation on the edge of apotheosis, involved in an intense and exciting sexual encounter, who had recently been around another 2nd generation who had achieved her apotheosis.

His wasn't a sudden thing, as Warren or Epiphanies experance, nor was it a slow deliberation over a long period as Alex's slow revelation. Instead his growth and change was something that happen as he lost himself to the pleasures of the two nova woman more or less at his mercy. Of course, though he wasn't entirely aware of what he was doing, he was imprinting the two girls on him at a deep level, something that would take someone with mental powers on the level of Epiphany's to fix, if it was even possible, or for that matter, if he even wanted it fixed.

His natural abilities were growing as were other abilities as both of the girls lost themselves in his touch and the pleasure of what he was doing, they didn't really notice the growing power of the nova with them.. not until matters settled down, and he found both of them pressing against him and sighing in pleasure as they ran their hands over his perfect body. And somehow his awareness had grown, to some degree he'd gained, even mirrored some of their own capabilities, but even more, his powers had grown..

Darrik let his eyes widen slightly, but somehow he wasn't too shocked by this happening. An intense experience had a good chance of causing this... though the immediate growth that he could identify was already tremendous. As he rolled off the bed, extricating himself from Gwen and Agatha with a new grace, he didn't feel strained at all and could easily have gone for more.

But secrecy was being necessarily strained on this jaunt, to a little extent, and the buildup of quantum would have alerted Cora or drawn more attention at some point. Honestly, he should go without his sister, given the need to get relaxed and avoid overwhelming interaction.

*Cora? I'm going to cut short my stay here and return home. I think you should get Warren to pick you up. Nothing's wrong, I just think it's a good idea.* Then to the entire family: *I'll be coming home soon, but don't enter my room for a while.*

All while getting dressed-- make that returning his outfit of eufiber into place. "It was fun. 'Fraid I'll have to run now."

Isle

"That sounds like it could be fun, there must be a lot out here." Eric responded and Zia smiled and nodded, both of the young nova's wanting to see as much as possible.

Cora

Norman smiled slightly. "I'm not offended in the least, I completely understand." Even as he spoke, Jenna came up and put a hand on Cora's shoulder to get her attention. "Care for a game, perhaps? There's a few game rooms here, for all kinds games, from poker to twister or even a drinking game or two... just general sorts of fun."

Even as she spoke, Cora heard Darrik's mental voice and departure, which left her along in Ibiza. Of course, if anyone could get home by herself, it was Cora the girl could be at the island within minutes if she used her full speed.

Darrik

As he began to depart, both of the girls in bed with him reached out to him to urge him to stay. "Wait.. we don't even know how to get in touch with you." Both of them had a smitten look in their eyes, something he would recognize, and have the intelligence to know the problem he'd created with regards to them.

"If there is anything we can do for you, absolutely anything, Darrik, darling, ever, please ask." Agatha spoke up even as Gwen nodded, the enphesis she put on absolutely anything was strongly meant, of course, the girls wouldn't do anything outright against their natures, not without further manipulation on his part, but they were extremely committed to him. "At least, take our numbers.. "

Cora

Norman smiled slightly. "I'm not offended in the least, I completely understand." Even as he spoke, Jenna came up and put a hand on Cora's shoulder to get her attention. "Care for a game, perhaps? There's a few game rooms here, for all kinds games, from poker to twister or even a drinking game or two... just general sorts of fun."

Even as she spoke, Cora heard Darrik's mental voice and departure, which left her along in Ibiza. Of course, if anyone could get home by herself, it was Cora the girl could be at the island within minutes if she used her full speed.

Coraline looked at the other Nova, grateful for the distraction to mask her concern at Darrik's sudden departure. That hadn't been part of the implied plan, although reducing their public asociation was a good move, long as they could manage it...

She finished the drink in a third gulp, letting the pleasant sensory input of the place push the issue to the back of her mind, the relieved smile at Norman's acceptance natural and tinged by a tiny unfamilar flame in her thoughts that surged pleasantly at his words and colored her cheeks. "I'd be willing to try," her chorus hummed, "And then maybe more dancing? That was fun. For me anyway."

Darrik let out a light breath and reviewed the clear problem. Whether it had been from the Apotheosis itself, his new apparent abilities or already established beforehand, the girls had fallen in love. And honestly, Darrik for all his womanizing ways did try to make it clear that his hookups were temporary.

Apparently it wouldn't work well now. But he supposed it couldn't hurt to take the numbers down. "Tell me them then... I'll remember." This was going to be a problem to consider.

Archived