Aberrant RPG - Wakinyan's trial.

Wakinyan

Sorry all I would have posted this in the OOC discussion but apparently you cannot create polls there.

So I plan on having Wakinyan's trial wrap up in about a months time. Right now I honestly am not sure how I would like it to result. Of course if he is guilty that might be a huge detriment to using him for roleplay anymore. At the same time I want this to be as truthful as it could be. So I am asking all of you for your input.

For *Other please explain what other option you are thinking of please.

Okay, I voted guilty but I really think it should be for a reduced charge. The deaths were a result of his actions, but only partially. His explanation that he was trying to follow orders and leave but that Jager knocked him for a loop should hold some weight. The destruction of the cop cars should figure in, but as he's never actually hurt anyone with that power should keep him from getting anything more than a simple assault charge with those ( I hope ). A sneaky lawyer might use the anti-nova sentiment to Waki's advantage by blaming the WCK for bungling a basic talk-down and turning it into a disaster.

I voted "other", only because I think a mistrial would be in order. With all the media attention surrounding the trial, and the subsequent involvement of outside organizations, a fair public trial would be impossible.

After the mistrial, the DA could decide that it would be impossible to retry Wakinyan, thereby eliminating a conviction or acquittal and allowing for Wakinyan's release. This could provide many possible threads for future stories, because of unfinished business (revenge, etc..). He could also be re-tried in a different venue however, and still found guilty or innocent.

I voted Guilty, Lesser (its a 6 HD monster, unlike the Greater version which is 12 HD). For the same reasons as Hugin. Wakinyan wasn't trying to slam into that bus, he wasn't even being negligent. It was pretty much an accident. He did, however, allow himself to be in that position. So he should be guilty of something.

And I can see White Rat's point as well. It's a pretty high profile case.

I voted guilty, lesser as well, because I think that a good lawyer (e.g. Bailey) should be able to clear him of everything but a few items (resisting arrest, vandalism, perhaps negligence).

As for having the case thrown out as a mistrial, I think it's actually too high-profile for that. The public will want a verdict of some kind, regardless of what it is, and there will be tremendous political and media pressure to see the case through until the end.

As for the actual sentence, it will probably be reduced to the point where he will get incredible monetary fines (to cover damage to the city), lots of community service and/or probation, and actual prison time will be commuted(?) to time served.

I haven't voted yet but I'll repeat here what I told Wakinyan (and some others) before.

From my base understanding, I laid out three possibilities:

1. Wakinyan gets convicted and gets thrown away for a number of years (IE-outside of the scope of this board). It'd be this harsh because courts aren't always kind to those who keep fighting charges and since it is a media circus they'd make an example out of novas who let themselves get out of control. This is closest to Option A.

2. Wakinyan cuts a plea bargain, gets nailed with gigantic fines, 6-10 years probation, and a little bit of prison time (no more than an additional month since time served is sometimes included). Wakinyan, in character, rejected this plan and it appears to line up with Option B.

3. Wakinyan beats the charges and is released after the trial. Which, obviously, matches Option C.

Again from my base understanding, Option B is a little tricky. I could go on and on about various sides to it, but needless to say it could happen. And, as I was mentioning to someone last night, the story should typically win out the background in the rare cases where they conflict. As for a mistrial... probably wouldn't happen.

Archived