Aberrant: Children of Quantum Fire - OOC: Discussions

Krul

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay.

As I understand those abilities, here's what Alex 'looks' like.

Holographically he can tell that Alex has increased in physical dimensions a bit. She's taller and...for want of better words, "fleshier." Not by a whole lot...much of her increased appearance isn't adding more, but rather using what she had more effectively, but there's a definitely physical change as well.

Electromagnetically, she looks normal to ultraviolet wavelengths. Her IR signature is not human however. A human body radiates more heat from areas of skin where the blood flow is increased or close to the surface. Alex's body radiates heat uniformly. When she moves there are small heat buildups at the joints that are moving. If Warren zooms in on Alex to microscopic levels, he can see instantly that her skin is no longer made of skin cells. Rather, there is something that looks kind of like skin-colored "scales" on a molecular level...tiny overlapping plates that allow full freedom of movement. They don't look like the result of any organic process though, and this is confirmed when she absently scratches her elbow, and the disruption causes some of the nano-scale robots to be 'uprooted' from their phalanx-like formation. They scurry around like tiny cockroaches until finally settling back into place.

Quantum attunement reports that she's giving off a lot of quantum...probably putting her at a rating of 8 or so. However, the energy is distributed over her entire body and is relatively undifferentiated. She hasn't got a giant node in her head shining out like a beacon. Rather, her entire body appears to have the properties of a node, and the quantum is distributed over her entire mass. Beyond that, it's hard to tell from QA what other changes may have happened. There's no local concentrations of quantum to suggest one power or another. There is, however, one more strange thing. Alex has some kind of quantum 'aura,' in the form of a static field that seems overlaid over and around her body. The field is dizzyingly complex, wheels within wheels within wheels, all spinning in different directions, orbiting themselves and Alex herself through axes not entirely constrained by three dimensions. Though constantly changing, it doesn't seem to weaken or strengthen with what Alex is doing, so it's hard to say if it's a power, or just some effect arising from the many changes she's wreaked upon herself.

I was going to try to make a few posts today.. but I'm completely worn to the bone after working a 12 hour shift.. I may feel less worn after some rest.. but my responses may be tomorrow instead.

EM vision will reveal Alex's weird infrared signature and if she zooms up to microscopic focus she'll be able to see that her skin is made up of tiny little metal critters instead of tiny little biological critters.

Her node will be able to sense Alex's increased quantum energy output.

*snort* Heh. I so did not intend Bodies in Motion to become the next IC thread. Loving the chracter dynamics though. If the majority agrees, why not factor Darrik into the madness?

So, where we gonna nail up those sheets publicly if we're going by results of Krul's poll? Wondering.

I should state for the record... Darrik is Apotheosizing in Fun/D&D. I'm sure we can figure out some way of Darrik secluding himself or covering the temporary fact that he has gotten the big A until Bodies.... if the other players involved agree to this of course.

It has been pointed out to me in chat that I am mistaken to keep regular attributes at 5.. mega-attributes should always be matched or exceeded by the attribute, by the rules of Abberant, limited only by quantum rather then limited to 5 without a certain body modification.

I thought about house ruling this over the last day or so, but the more I thought about it, the more I could see advantages to this. The problem is fixing it those who have already achieved apotheosis and finished updating the character sheet, but just giving them an upgrade by itself seemed unfair too.

So, one that note, I'm giving all of you who apothesize (both past and future) 9 attribute points, which, for those of you already at Apotheosis, must be used to bring your attributes to be equal your mega-attributes over 5. [Which means Darrik's 8 Mega-Manipulation, or Epiphany's 8 Mega-Charisma must matched by an 8 in the attribute]. This also gives you folks room to prepare for the future Mega-Attribute purchases a bit, and it makes sense that reaching apothesis will give 2nd generations a greater degree of talent, and it's fair to everyone.

In the future, Mega-Attribute and Attributes must always match, limited only by Quantum (and Improved Attribute may be used to take it past that point.. the points for the enhancement refunded at Quantum 10)

Most of the action right now seems to be moving into Bodies in Motion.. which is fine.. any thread marked 4.anything though I'm slowly trying to work into a close in the next week or so..

I've adjusted the Time Frame in Lunar Excavation slightly to shift it to just a bit after Bodies in Motion... going to leave it open until Warren and Pip work out their immediate issues.

Heh. For a second, I thought Coraline was going to have to hand her 'fastest nova in the family without cheating via teleportation premaxing' badge to Warren for him to hold until she Apothesized. But then I realized I dropped a zero in there and Cora still beats out Warren by a solid 4,920 km/hour. ( her 15,000 under flight, hyperflight, and enhanced movement vs his 10,080 under warp mastery, temporal control, and enhanced movement).

EDIT: Him buying one dot of Hyperflight would allow him to take the lead though, so there's that, mind you. wink

You're welcome to that badge sister. smile

And to get Hyperflight he'd also have to buy flight... so basically it's not going to happen.

Warp was the real surprise... I was all set to max it out then I realized his current range was the edge of the (known) universe so there wasn't much point.

Acatually, I think flight granted by Elemental Mastery might count toward allowing dots in Hyperflight, but thanks for permiting her her specialization. laugh

On a more general note, everyone here who's going the mega-int quantum philospher route needs to look up this show called Through the Wormhole hosted by Morgan Freeman. It's fun and tripy stuff about real physicists who are exploring what's really going on with physics. Did you know we're already have the tiny, tiny working super early protypes for teleporters and warp drives or at least the theories behind them? And that's just last week's eppi on FTL travel. Week before that it was about the sixth sense.

The theory is a lot more exciting than the reality. Things like wormholes and "warp drives" are in theory possible...but that's because current theory does not specifcally say that they're IMpossible. Of course, just because our theory doesn't totally rule something out doesn't necessarily mean it's a real phenomenon. Nothing remotely like one has ever been actually observed.

Teleportation is another issue, but it's also less exciting than it sounds. It only works on subatomic particles, and only under very specific circumstances. It's all based on probability envelopes and uncertainty principle, so complex particles like atoms, molecules, or the human body have almost (but not quite) zero odds of teleporting during their brief existence.

The FUN of physics comes from using exotic math theory and pinning it onto magical effects like FTL travel, and teleportation. It sounds much cooler that way. smile

Not really, no. smile

That we got something back from Anna is not relevant. Its nothing that Alex couldn't have found out herself given some time. Or that's her belief anyway.

And making public appearances is risky for us, even if we have public identities.

But I'm gonna assume she's already made her views on the matter known and has put all that behind her.

Archived