Aberrant: Dead Rising - 12h: Seeking Home

Dawn OOC

Jill looked around wildly, but couldn’t figure out where the shot had come from. Jules was also looking, but her sharper eyes saw the hint of gunsmoke from the shot. Draygo saw as well, and even caught a flash of movement from several of the windows in the building. Dylan, of course, used his massive brain to cheat but calculating where the attack came from.

Fox was rolling onto his back, holding his shoulder as Olivia dashed to him and dropped her to knees. “Lie still,” she ordered, her experienced eyes immediately assessing the wound. The bullet had shattered his collar bone and rent muscle; it was a high-caliber round. It wasn’t fatal, not for a super.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gritting her teeth at the pain she knew she was about to cause and the abysmally unsterilized conditions, Olivia pulls her bag open and starts pulling out what she'll need. "This is going to hurt, I need to get the bullet and some of the bone shards out now. I'm not sure how quickly you heal or how long we have before we get inundated with enemies or have to move. This is going to be quick and dirty, brace yourself."

Before she finished talking, Olivia had opened a jar of peroxide and poured about half of it into the wound. She tried to keep a hand on Fox's chest to keep him from moving but she knew better than to try and hold him down if he flailed too much. A scalpel and some forceps were quickly unwrapped from some plastic wrap that she had used to keep them as sterile as possible after their last boiling. Hoping the next bullet wasn't going to go through her skull, she got to work.

On the roof of a building, a petite woman knelt, quietly meditating. She was dressed in army fatigues, a large pack and weapons laying beside her. Resting this way wasn't as effective as actual sleep, but it was a darn sight safer than sleeping alone outside of fortifications. Being up high also helped reduce the risk of wandering infected, which tended to be too stupid to open doors, much less climb.

She was beginning to think scouting this island was a waste of time. She'd already covered two thirds of it without seeing any healthy people, and there was a distinct lack of the large stores that were good targets for scavenging. On the other hand, the lower Fomori count on the island might be worth the extra effort of going from store to store instead of heading to the mainland where larger swarms could interrupt any focused gathering efforts.

The sound of a gunshot pulled her from her reverie. It wasn't that far away either--not that anything was really far away around here. She rapidly gathered her gear, slipping on her flak jacket and helmet. She preferred not to wear them except when facing humans, as the bulk got in her way more than it protected her against Fomori. Bullets were another matter, though.

Gun in hand and dressed, she released enough energy to slip the bonds of gravity and speed herself up, then began running, gliding carefully from rooftop and keeping a low profile. She hoped to spot any trouble before it spotted her, but if there were people in danger she couldn't ignore it. Still, she had learned the hard way to encourage others to underestimate her, so she kept the arcs of each jump low and made them look like she was merely agile, not actually flying. You never know what kind of crazy people might be watching.

Click to reveal..
Spending 2 quantum to activate flight and hypermovement, meaning that if I wasn't being careful I could cross the entire island in one combat round.

[Wyrd] 10:42 pm: Dead Rising Perception roll to spot the compound and the 12h group, preferably before I am

spotted. First die is mega.

Wyrd *rolls* 10d10: 9+7+9+8+9+8+4+5+3+4: 66

7 successes

[Wyrd] 10:44 pm: Carver, can you witness that for me?

[Carver] 10:44 pm: Yes.

Draygo spotted the shooter and other movement in the building. Without thinking he spread his wings and crouched a little as ozone started forming in his mouth and nostrils. His first reaction was to let loose and do his best to level the building on top of anything or anyone inside it.

But he waited a split second...

...and nothing happened.

So, while he didn't relax, he didn't release the bolts of electricity that he was holding in his gullet. If talk were going to happen, someone would start, if this was going to turn into a slaughter (of them), then it would start soon enough as well. Either way Draygo stayed ready and waited for his cue.

"Thank you, but save the perioxide for someone who needs it," Fox said, catching the bottle and tipping it up. "I can fight off the Z, I think I can hand a few bateria. But feel free to get the bullet out - better now than after it heals." He added the last with a charming, handsome grin.

There was silence for a moment, then the clear sound of someone on a bullhorn, "Freaks go away! We don't want you here!" The voice was heavily accented English.

"So much for a warm welcome," Fox muttered.

Olivia gave her best doctor glare to Fox. "I don't tell you how to do your job." She didn't finish the expression but instead started the minor incision needed to reach the bullet. Pulling it out and a few of the smaller bone splinters, she quickly set the other bones in place and set them with the last of her organic putty. It was easy enough to make if she just had the materials that it didn't bother her to use it. As quickly as possible she moved to stitching his shoulder closed.

Freaks? Jules wondered, before glancing at Draygo. Ok, fair cop. But why shoot Fox instead of the most obvious ‘freak’? At least Walker wasn’t here; Jules didn’t want to see how poorly they’d react to the four-arm man who oozed ‘creepy’.

“Draygo, I don't think they can hurt you, not as your big really scary self,” Jules said softly. “Do we want to go up and ask them why they’re calling us names and shooting at us?” They wanna see freaks, let’s show them some.

And there was the cue he was waiting for. He gave a shrug that looked more like he was just flexing his muscles. His last words were, "Ok, if you say so... You'll want a lift so that you can talk?"

He stepped well away from the rest of the group and grew. He expanded to multiple times his previous volume and completely changed his stance and appearance. Even his breath changed, from ozone to soot. Once he was completely changed, twin wisps of smoke rose from his nostrils as evidence of his readiness to incinerate the building.

He arched his now long neck down, offering to let Jules take a ride on his head, as in this form his mouth was ill suited to formig words and his vocal cords were stretched well beyond the ability to form more than growls and rumbles.

Jules gave Olivia a grin that wasn’t reassuring as she slung her rifle over her shoulder and approached Draygo’s horn-crested head. “Oh, I don’t plan on making any more patients,” Jules assured her, “because if they keep shooting at us, they won’t need a doctor for anything.”

“I meant-”

“I know what you mean, Doc,” Jules said with a grunt as she pulled herself up onto the dragon’s head. Draygo resisted the urge to shake her off; it was only natural when you could feel something crawling on your face. “But know what I mean. I’m not going to let them pick us off. Had they shot Dylan, he might be dead.” Draygo rumbled angrily. “Me too, big guy. Anyone else wanna ride a dragon?” The grin on her face was now playful; apparently, she found riding a dragon to be really cool.

Draconis gave a snort and sent twin bursts of smoke out his nostrils. He then took a small step forward and raised his head, which was enough to put his head and Jules halfway between the fence and the building.

Let's hurry up and figure out whether we're going to be friends or they're going to get leveled...

Himiko rushed to the South, being careful to keep hidden. She was nearing the location of the shot when she ran out of roofs she could use to camouflage her flight. Beyond the small housing development she currently occupied was a patch of woods. That sucks, she thought to herself.

Gaining a bit of height and pulling out her binoculars, she found that the woods were not all that thick, and she could see a cluster of people in a parking lot on the other side. None of them looked to be in trouble... no, wait, there was one on the ground, and another bending over him or her. The question now was, "Injured by zombie, accident, or human?" Too bad she hadn't gotten super sight and hearing, as those would be damn useful right now, but she would make use of what the spirits had given her, instead of lamenting what they had not.

Looking around, she saw that she could go around the forest rather easily, as it didn't extend that far to the West. going through the forest was a bad idea if she wanted to remain stealthy, as the infected liked forests as one of the only places they could find food.

She darted down and around the edge of the forest, through a parking lot, and back to the corner of the forest, keeping high enough in the trees to stay out of the reach of any dormant zombies, though some could climb trees if they were aware there was food up one.

Peering through her binoculars again at the freakin' huge open space completely devoid of cover that would let her get closer, she saw... a dragon. She pinched herself. That felt real and there was still a dragon there. She closed her eyes a moment and tried to feel if anything was messing with her senses, but she felt completely clear headed. She opened her eyes again, and there was the dragon. Well, that's new.

Benedict peered under the truck, careful for any traps or hidden surprises. He then squeezed himself under, his bulky frame stretching and contracting so it would not get caught on any parts.

When he reached the halfway point, he tried to see if there were any obstructions for his progress, or whether he could see who was taking potshots at them.

Originally Posted By: Jules WhiteElk
“I know what you mean, Doc,” Jules said with a grunt as she pulled herself up onto the dragon’s head. Draygo resisted the urge to shake her off; it was only natural when you could feel something crawling on your face. “But know what I mean. I’m not going to let them pick us off. Had they shot Dylan, he might be dead.” Draygo rumbled angrily. “Me too, big guy. Anyone else wanna ride a dragon?” The grin on her face was now playful; apparently, she found riding a dragon to be really cool.

It took Jill longer than she felt comfortable with to adjust to the situation. She found herself still unfocused and her mind kept straying away to issues unresolved... Issues spelled with a capital V.

The gun shot did well to ‘force’ her back to reality and even though she shouldn’t fear bullets in her current metallic form her instincts still made her flinch and dive for cover. A brief glance at Fox made her almost throw up her breakfast. She had seen worse but if he was fataly wounded how would they go back to the Refuge?

Fortunately Jules and the others were on top of things and reacted more professionally than she did and were already formulating a plan to deal with the threat. After making sure that Olivia was doing fine she took Jules offer and helped herself up to the mighty dragon. She certainly qualified as freak at the moment, or rather freaked out, but she did look like some kind of Terminator-Girl from the future...

“You do the talking, ok?”, Jill quietly asked Jules and even though she might’ve looked more intimidating than the beautiful american native she didn’t feel half as confident to negotiate.

“Gladly,” Jules murmured back, her dark eyes hard. As Draconis used his head like the world largest organic boom and brought them closer to the building where the shot had come from, Jules narrowed her eyes at the as yet unseen opponents. “This is your only warning,” she shouted. “The next one of you that shoots one of us gets to be Blackened Long Pork for Draconis here. We came in peace to talk. If you’ll talk, we’ll talk. You start something, and we’ll finish it.”

Click to reveal..
Jules’s Intimidate roll:

[Carver] 11:15 pm: last is mega

Carver *rolls* 8d10: 5+7+10+2+5+5+9+2: 45 = 3 sux

Willpower to resist:

Carver *rolls* 5d10: 5+2+2+2+4: 15

[Carver] 11:25 pm: Heh, oops. Someone is skeered.

There was silence, then someone shouted in poor English, “Please, please! We saw the flying man and were frightened!”

“Why?” Jules shouted back.

“Because the last flying man went mad! He harvests the dead and hangs their bodies,” the male voice shouted back. “We can’t trust those who have powers!”

Olivia mutters, "Great," as she snips the last stitch. Taking a moment to wrap the shoulder in a clean rag made from a sheet ripped in strips, she thinks. A little of the peroxide gets splashed on her hands and another rag is used to wash away the gore. Putting her supplies back in her bag she helps Mr. Fox up. She thought of what she would say if it was up to her and was glad she wasn't in charge here and could defer to someone else.

Benedict decided that, for now, his spot suited him just fine. The people on the other side of the fence seemed a lot more reasonable now, and their words intrigued him. A Super gone mad had hung those bodies and set up those displays?

He didn't like the idea that this mad Super must still be around somewhere - or else these people wouldn't be all up in arms.

Fox took the helping hand up and rose, giving Olivia a smile that made her acutely aware of how handsome he was. And he wasn’t even trying, she guessed; he was just smiling! Most disorienting. “Thank you,” he told her with a smile that was for her alone – or that was the way she felt for a moment. Then he was rising into the air.

He picked up his rifle, then angled toward the dragon’s head. “Thanks, Jules,” he muttered to her. I got this.” He turned away and didn’t see the annoyed look on her face as he addressed the people in the building. “Do you judge everyone by the same cloth?” Fox shouted, his voice strict. It was almost as if he were scolding children. “Most of the world realized that was wrong decades ago. Are you prejudiced because we have something in common with someone who came before? What if we have more in common with you? Do you really want to be the kind of people who judge others before knowing them?”

“We want to be the kind of people who are safe!” the man cried back after a moment.

“So you lash out at strangers. Well done. Do you feel safe?” Fox replied.

“Not with you hovering out there with a dragon!”

“We came in peace and you shot us,” Fox rejoined. “Were I like you, my dragon would be burning down your buildings. But I’m giving you another chance. Send someone out, unarmed. We’ll talk and if no one on your side starts shooting.”

“Medical care?” Jules muttered to him.

“If our doctor consents, we’ll treat your injured and sick as a sign of good will,” Fox added. He glanced questioningly at Olivia.

Click to reveal..

There was silence, then the voice said, “Very well. We will try to talk to you.” A moment later, the door opened and an older man came out. His skin was dark, probably not tanned but naturally darker. He walked out, clearly nervous, stopping before them. Fox dropped to the ground and offered a hand; the man grasped it after a moment. “I am Martin,” he said.

“I’m Fox. It’s good to meet you,” Fox said with his winning smile. “First, do you have any injured?”

Martin paused, then nodded. “Yes.”

“Doctor?” Fox asked.

Himiko watched this exchange quite clearly through her binoculars. What she could not do was hear what they were saying. Sure, she could make out that they were shouting, just not what they were shouting about. The 500 feet of open space separating them distorted and diluted the sound too much.

Click to reveal..

Perception check to hear Fox.

[Wyrd] 10:15 pm: First is mega

[Carver] 10:15 pm: 12c post

Wyrd *rolls* 10d10: 5+1+8+2+5+6+1+4+6+6: 44

Cursing to herself, she started working her way to the East, where she could get some cover from the buildings that came closer to the woods and work her way closer. She still had no real clue what was going on here, and was going to try to avoid getting involved until she did.

Benedict overheard the conversation with a broad grin on his face. Boy, that man sure has a way with words.

He didn't emerge from his hiding place directly. While he had no reason to doubt the veracity of the people's words being shouted - on the contrary, they seemed very reasonable - he did feel that this would be the opportune moment for something bad to happen.

The tension in his stomach increased as he kept an eye on the area they had left behind, guarding against what might be emerging. If this were a movie, it'd be a perfect time for the big bad crazy flier to pop out and make this situation a really bad one - and I'd rather not have that happen.

He realized very well he had neither the charisma to persuade the people inside, nor the fighting skills to defend against crazy Supers. But he had keen eyes and ears, and fully intended to use them to their benefit.

Click to reveal.. (Keeping an eye out for general bad things and watching the group's back. )
Click to reveal.. (Staying out of sight, chilling under ma'truck)

Dylan had hung back. He wasn't really nervous as much as disinterested. People didn't really help him. He wanted information and hardware. Still when it looked like things were not going back to violence anytime soon he turned on the earpieces he had handed out and spoke quietly.

"Fox, if you don't think we are going to fighting again immediately you might want to ask them about that puddle. If Draygo says he saw it then he did. If they have a super problem we should know now before we become targets like in D.C. If it is a superzom I need all the information they have to best tell you how to find it and kill it.

Not to mention if we can solve their problem they will probably let me raid all the tech they have collecting dust around here."

So he was more concerned over what toys he could acquire. Before he had met Draygo the boy had been forced to survive in the world on his own. Only his considerable creativity with technology had allowed that to happen. Now that surviving the day was no longer as much of an issue the only way he could really benefit those around him was by acquiring the resources he needed to reinvent the technology that had been lost so that it could be sustained in this world. Now he and Draygo were a part of Fox's group, which meant in his eyes the only goal was to best aid that group and forget any others. Dylan knew there were supers out there that probably put his considerable intelligence to shame, he had to give the refuge as much advantage as he could before they ran in to those supers.

"Also remember everyone that from my calculations the percentage of Z day survivors that seem to have become supers. Already the impression I am getting is there may be enough people here to suggest one or maybe more. Be on guard."

Olivia nodded, "No problem, I'll do everything I can, but . . . out here please. I won't deny anyone medical treatment but I'm not too fond of the notion of going in where the people who shoot my friends are the only ones around me. If anyone can't be moved, I'll go to them, but with an escort." She called out loudly enough to be heard even in the building.

Picking up her bag, Liv waited, hoping the injuries and illnesses wouldn't be too severe for her to handle with what she has on hand.

Martin nodded and waved to people. Slowly, hesitantly, people began to slip out of the building and approach the group. All dozen or so of them were sick or injured; Olivia could tell at a glance that most of the injuries were from fighting. The sick mostly seemed to be standard sicknesses aggrivated by immune systems compromised by stress.

"Tell us of your 'mad super' problem," Fox was saying to Martin.

Draygo brought his head back down and the two women climbed down. "Thanks, buddy," Jules said lightly, placing a hand on one of his horns. Then she joined Fox's conversation, her pretty face set in hard lines. Clearly, she was preparing to be bad cop to Fox's good.

"Bernard started as our friend," Martin said, "and then he started to act strange. He started to take the bodies of the fallen and display them. We tried to stop him, to stop the desecration, but he lashed out at us. He killed one of us... and used his body. He has gone insane!"

"Has he been hurting people?" Fox asked. "Aside from attacking those who attack him?"

"Puddle," Dylan muttered as a reminder. Fox made a 'getting there' motion with his hand.

"No, but people have disappeared. There are still zombies, so we're not sure who is responsible," Martin replied, his old voice warbling with emotion.

Click to reveal..
I'm pulling ST fiat to get the PCs together. My apologies to Wyrd.

Benedict's sharp eyes were scanning the area when he saw... something. Later, he wouldn't even be sure what it was, but he knew he was looking at a person inching their way around the group. Someone was trying to stalk or encircle them.

Olivia's eyes quickly assessed. A quick triage list ran through her mind as she noted those who seemed in most need of her help. In a situation like this, thing could go wrong very quickly and she wanted to do the most good she could before anything interrupted them.

Waving the people over to a clear side area, she pointed to the one who looked in the most need. "You first. I'm going to ask some questions as I go to get a bit of a history from you to help in treatment. Please try to be honest and forthright so I don't end up causing more harm than good." With that said Olivia, pure professionalism, began her work.

Click to reveal.. (Dawn)
Questions will be her standard array. At this point, she's going to concentrate on this until something happens to stop her, unless she learns something of particular concern or import from her questions and examinations, I don't feel there's much need to delve into the treatment process. Please let me know if you need any rolls or anything from her.

Benedict blinked once, twice, rubbing his eyes to make sure he truly saw a moving figure, rather than some heat mirage or light reflecting off a puddle of water.

"Am I getting paranoid out here, after all? No - I did see something, definitely." he thought to himself.

With slow and determined moves he got out from under the car, making sure to remain on the opposite side and landing in this 'laissez-faire' posture, leaning against one of the tires as if he had meant to be there all along.

"You people look like you could use a decent meal - and I've got a hunch you've got some kids hidden out of sight who could use a hearty meal as well."

He rolled to his feet, rising to his full height as he displayed his trademark grin, tipping his chef's hat. "I'd probably need to check the local area for some seasoning, but I am sure I can make you all a meal that will have you think it's Thanksgiving already."

As Benedict strolled along the people, hands in the pockets beneath his apron, he glanced by where the others were gathered, speaking to the townsfolk. Under his breath he whispered at Fox and Jules: "Someone's skirting the forest's edge I think, checking us out. I'll have a gander over and see what it's about."

He then moved towards the forest, one eye to where 'suitable seasoning' might grow - herbs, mushrooms and the like - and one eye towards where he had seen the approaching figure.

Carefully he tried to aim a path so that he'd be out of sight of both the people behind him and the stalker for half a minute or so, then set to aim a course straight towards the stalker's last known position in a clumsy, absolutely not-outdoorsman movement.

Click to reveal.. (Stealth check to disappear out of sight for a few seconds)

So totally failed - who could miss a big cook wearing an apron and a chef's hat in a forest?

Roll: [3, 1, 4, 1] + mega [4]. Total Successes: 0.

Click to reveal..
Quite a wall of text, but I felt I should put the whole line of actions in so people have an indication of what I am doing. Will alter the post if needed.

Click to reveal..
[Wyrd] 8:50 pm: Will you witness a roll for me then?
[Wyrd] 8:51 pm: First is mega
Wyrd *rolls* 10d10: 1+7+5+7+3+5+10+3+8+3: 52
[envoy] 8:51 pm: sure.
[envoy] 8:51 pm: 4 successes
[Wyrd] 8:51 pm: Methinks I spotted Benedict, with his 0 successes on a stealth roll.

As Himiko made her way closer, she noticed a man in a chef's outfit jump a little as he was looking in her direction, then make an embarrassingly pathetic attempt at nonchalantly wandering closer to her without looking like he was looking for her. She made her way to a spot out of sight of the rest of the group but in the chef's path, then waited for him to approach.

As he rounded the corner she leveled her gun at him and said, "Watakushi, korehanani tokoro?" At the complete lack of comprehension, she tried again, "Sainmhíniú, ceisteach seo?" His features still black, she tried again, "Well, I hope you speak English, 'cause you sure don't look Dinei. Would you mind telling me what is going on here?" Seeing some recognition, and the direction of his gaze, she elaborated, "I apologize for the gun, but I came here when I heard a gunshot, and I'd really like to know what is happening here before I put it down."

Click to reveal..
I apologize to anyone who actually speaks these languages. I put these together from dictionaries. While I speak a little of both Japanese and Gaelic, it's not enough to compose sentences, barely enough to recognize some common words and phrases.

Benedict sees before him a petite woman in military fatigues, very obviously armed with a large assault rifle pointed in his direction; honestly, any assault rifle pointed in his direction seemed large, really, but this one looked very professional and looked to be held by someone who knew what she was doing with it. The bandolier of grenades, spare clips, pistol, and large knife strapped in the open, along with several pouches holding unknown items added menace to someone he would normally have trouble finding menacing. A part of his mind even wondered whether they even let people this short into the army, though if Sarah wound up bigger why couldn't someone wind up smaller? She was not obviously a super, though, the biggest indicators being that she was apparently on her own and the fact that the pack strapped to her back looked a bit too big for her. On the other hand, that pack seemed mostly empty.

Looking at the massive assault rifle, the wide grin crept back on Benedict's face. People who carried weapons generally weren't mindless (mostly) and the Super they were looking for didn't need weapons by the sound of it.

With a proper British accent, lifted straight from one of those old English comedy shows, he replied to her. "Well, that's a relief. Was already wondering what gibberish you were on about. Trying out the least likely languages first I reckon? Splendid."

The big cook didn't seem to be worried at all about the plethora of weapons on the tiny woman. Were it a special ability, one might say he exuded an aura of calm, but he didn't seem obviously special either.

"I was just wondering what was sneaking around in the woods, decided to check it out before it ate us. What with all manner of possible creepers around and all." Benedict made a non-committal nod with his head staring past the woman, as if indicating the area behind her.

"If you're interested, better come on down and have a chat with the folks - woods aren't exactly safe and death might creep up on you. Don't believe anyone'd want to harm you and waste precious ammo."

While talking he started to turn sideways a bit, allowing the woman unobstructed view of the fortifications and the people massed below. He raised his right eyebrow and halted, waiting for her to respond one way or another.

The girl rolled her eyes and said, "It just gets so boring only speaking English. If your people aren't particularly aggressive or insane, I'd like to meet them." She took a hand off of her gun and held up a finger, "But, be warned, I've come across enough of both varieties that one wrong move might result in someone being riddled with bullets. I prefer to keep an eye on a compound for at least a day before approaching, but the gunfire worried me, and continues to worry me, especially with no Fomori in sight, so I didn't do my usual level of reconnaissance before moving in close."

She let's the rifle swing to her side on its strap and asks, "So what was up with that, anyway?"

Benedict furrowed his brow. "Local issues. People got scared and when we approached they fired on us. I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but we'll get to the bottom of it. As for aggressive and insane - I doubt more than is required to live in the world today."

With a relaxed pace, Benedict started to move towards the compound and the gathered people. As he went on, his eyes swerved left and right, eyeing the greenery near the trees for mushrooms, herbs, seasoning and possible game.

After all, he thought, "There's quite a few mouths to feed and they look like they could use a pick-me-up."

As if remembering something, he turned his head to look at the woman over his shoulder. "Oh, before I forget. When we walk down, try to not make it seem like you're keeping me at gunpoint. Wouldn't want to make them draw conclusions that you're a threat prematurely, right?"

She snorts, but does take her other hand off her gun, "Of course I'm a threat. I'm an outsider, and outsiders have to be considered potential threats until proven otherwise these days. Firing before someone has proven to be a threat is a bad idea, though."

"By the way, the name's Himiko. I'll keep most details secret until I know you a little better, but I don't mind sharing that. On an unrelated note, did you earn that hat, or just decide it looked good on you?"

Benedict's grin widened a bit again. "Earned every scrap - I was a cook before Z-day, and I might be the only one alive after."

His voice took on a hint of emotion, passion perhaps. "They say an army runs on its stomach, but out here, it's the most precious thing people have."

As Olivia waits for patients to shuffle out of the way and new patients to take their place, she looks around. Benedict seemed to be missing. No, wait. That hat could only be him. What was he doing in the woods and who . . .

"Mr. Fox, looks like our chef picked up a stray." Olivia called out to draw the attention of the others to the new arrival. She seemed normal enough, except for being exceedingly well armed.

But then the patients were there and in need of care and Liv turned back to caring for those who needed her. Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free . . . Olivia sighed as she started her questions again, stethoscope at the ready.

Himiko spoke up first, "So your name is Benedict, eh?" To Jules, she said, "Bizaad Bee Y1deilti’ Doolee? No? Well figured there was no harm in trying. I'm Himiko. I heard gunfire and decided to investigate." She shrugged sheepishly and said, "Hat boy here spotted me trying to get close enough to hear what was going on. If I wasn't in such a hurry, he wouldn't have seen me."

Raising her hands to show a lack of threat, she concludes, "Look, you might be all warm and fuzzy here, but I've met enough crazies and people who think that survival means shooting everyone else and taking their stuff that I am cautious when approaching a new group, but I'm not going to leave someone being attacked by Fomori to their non-existent mercies."

Click to reveal..
Jules might have recognized that I asked her if she speaks Navajo, and might have noticed that I spoke what I did with no real accent. It is unlikely anyone else in the group has the necessary exposure to recognize this.

Jules's eyebrows rose slowly as Himiko talked. Not many people knew Navajo - Jules only recognized it herself. Fewer people used fancy, weird terms for the zombies. So another nut, she thought to herself, hoping that this one wouldn't be as insane as others they'd met.

"Jules WhiteElk," she said, nodding. "We're not crazy, not by the standards of today, anyway. We're just a rather large enclave working to make ends meet." She paused and asked, "What are you doing out here?"

"We're just scouting for resources and other survivors." She looks a bit defensive as she continues, "We don't grab anything within a mile of any intact compounds, giving a wider berth to larger groups. We don't usually talk to these groups without some reconnaissance, preferably multiple days of observation." She shudders visibly, "It can be dangerous to go by only what a group wants you to see."

Now that she is closer and can be seen from angles other than front-on, people can see that is has bright red hair coming out from under her helmet that reaches her waist. Even with the hint of speaking Navajo, Jules cannot make out how much Native American she has in her. There are signs of it in her features but other traits, like the red hair, that are effectively non-existent in pure blooded Native Americans. Or, at least, were--z-day had changed a lot.

Once his head was clear and the immediate threat of being turned into charcoal by him was unneeded, he backed off and took a lookout point at the edge of the group.

As he sat on his haunches, his tail twitched occasionally, and his head that was raised high in the air didn't seem to stop moving. He scanned the area continuously, trying to keep everything in sight. He watched the newcomer, but didn't let his attention to her distract him from everything else.

Benedict seemed to have all but forgotten about the last few minutes, rushing over to the people of the compound with arms full of herbs and mushrooms. "Would you happen to have a kitchen of sorts? And some vegetables or meats? I think I can cook you up a mean pot roast that'd last you for some days, at least."

His left eyebrow raised, "But of course, if you haven't got any meat, I could go out and hunt some - any local wildlife you can recommend?"

“Of course it is,” Jules says easily. “Just like these days it’s dangerous to approach even solitary strangers.” She shrugged, her raven hair slipping over her shoulder as she did. “These are dangerous times. Come on in far enough to meet the boss.”

“Boss?” Himiko looked a bit nervous at that.

“Yeah, Morgan Fox,” Jules said easily. “It’s his place we all live in.” She turned and headed for the group around Fox.

“Let’s assume the super is hostile,” Fox replied to Martin, “since zombies are a lot easier to handle.” He sighed. “We have a couple of options. You can move your enclave to us, or let us have some people come here to hunt for you.”

“You are talking about helping us,” Martin said. “Why?”

“It’s not all altruistic,” Fox admitted. “We are looking for a new home, one on an island and we hoped that the university would have that. We’re willing to unite our enclaves, with the proper preparations.” He smiled warmly. “It’s a lot to absorb, I know. But we’re willing to become your friends and neighbors. We’ll clean up the island, remove your problems, and help you out. And you’ll help us out.”

“We have a kitchen, in that building,” one of the women said uneasily. She didn’t seem to know what to expect of the stranger offering to cook dinner for her. “There is some meat… rabbit. In my house.”

Archived