Aberrant RPG - Strengths and Weaknesses More Headache Than Fun?

momento

Hello all, I have been doing Aberrant (playing not storytelling) for a while and only just now have strengths and weaknesses have begun to filter through into the game. So I have started to look at the strengths/weaknesses section in the players guide.

Is it me or is the listings and situations in the book limited, not very well covered and needlessly complicated so only minimaxers can use it to it's full affect?

Wouldn't a more comprehensive merits flaws style be more easier?

Please forgive me if it is a very simple system and I don't understand it, I am a very simple person. (Do like extras through)

No, you're right. The strengths and weaknesses section was exceedingly poor in quality. Far to much is left to guesstimation which only encourages abuse of the system.

I far prefer a much more cohesive structure to a gaming system. You can then roleplay and add flavor as much as you want. You then have a stable game mechanic to work with and the style of the game is up to you. With a crappy mechanic you have to spend too much energy on trying to create a stable base on which to play your game. It encourages muchkinism and out of control games.

I wouldn't mind seeing a more comprehensive list of Strengths and Weaknesses for all the powers. My Players are on the cusp of plunging down the slippery slope into munchkin-ism and minimaxing with these things.

Strength and Weaknesses are fair enough if used to add a touch of uniqueness to one or two of a Nova's powers. It's just when everyone starts using them to get "kewl" powers that it aggravates me (and not in that good "lupine's claws" kind of way).

I'm not too bothered about the lack of features on N! in the Player's Guide though. To be honest there's enough stuff throughout the books to give you some idea on how N! works. Maybe it would have made a better minibook than Fear and Loathing though.

Strengths and Weaknesses was one of the more poorly put together areas.

It is obvious to see what they meant, and it is also obvious how to break the rules with that stuff.

A -2 weakness does not balance Dominate+Perm (or Node Spark + Perm) and we could go on from there.

My advice, if it looks broken or unbalanced, then it probably is. Get used to saying "No".

Archived