Aberrant RPG - Point of curiosity.

Sakurako Hino

Okay, we all know humans are capable of erupting. Now since that is a given, what about animals? Is it possible that there are, walking around out there, animals who have developed M/R node like glands? Thusly making them capable of weilding the power quantum?

Interesting query, or the rantings of a madman? What you think?

I agree. Besides, do you really want to wreck that whole vibe in the Aeonverse that humans are "special"?

However, It is possible to give Animals certain nova traits with Ecological Supremacy. Not that I'm saying do it, but there is some precedent. Granted, Quantum Bolts and other such things are a little out of the question, but things like Adaption, a bit of Intelligence, etc are all possible.

There seems to be a lot of evidence that the MR Node is tied up in the conditions of human consciousness so I'd say there aren't going to be a Krypto the super dog showing up sometime soon.

But as Kirby mentioned you can get into some serious fun with the higher level powers and engineer startling changes into the species. I doubt it will be MR Nodes per se without making them functionally human but changes are possible.

No. No. No. No. No.

Let me repeat that.

NO.

I know it's possible to modify a species with the Authority and Supremecy level powers, but it's not going to happen naturally.

This is rather like the old VAMPIRE argument. Can you embrace an animal?

(with the exception of that abyssmal story in Diablerie Britain, which WW later apologized for and removed the whole Nefertiti fiasco from their canon rules..)

NO.

Just posting a hypothetical. I haven't yet had the chance to go "deeper" into the Aberrant mythos as of yet. The reason I thought of this, was I realized that a node in an animal wouldn't cause them to become "hyper" intelligent. They could become, as taint kicks in, representations of mythical creatures. It sounds crazy, but it could add an angle. And with the rarity it could have, could add a sense of mystery. I've always thought that the best candidates for this would be cetaceans. Like dolphins and whales. They COULD be sentient as of right now, and with brains AS complex as ours, they could conceiveably develop nodes.

But, this is just a off tangent theoretical. I know there's canon against it, but, you gotta let your imagination run a bit.

Another thing, is that "Mythic Creatures" can be recreated by any other sort of Nova manipulation apart from M-R Nodes. Just off the top of my head, Mythic Creatures could be created by a Quantum Constructor out-of-control, could be created as a new species by a Ecological Supremist, it could even be a shapeshifter, using that shape.

And then, of course, there are the really whacked out ideas! Gadgeteers gone mad, remnants from the days of the AEon Society for Gentlemen, There are so many ways of doing this other than Noding animals.

And then, of course, you have one other problem: Since when did Animals follow Human folklore? I would expect that the majority of erupting Animals would go for incredibly weird ideas of their idealised self, if indeed they have one. Which may be something like a Mega-Charismatic version of itself to attract more mates, a Mega-Strong verison of itself to defend against suitors, etc.

It's a nice idea, but not only can it be served by other means, it's not particularly logical with your version of events. Also, all of these ideas have far more potential for an interesting story as well. I mean, finding a Nodal-aware Animal is all well and good, but where do you take that? Whereas finding out that this animal has been altered by the hand of a nova makes for a much more interesting idea that can be sent in far more directions.

[ 08-11-2002: Message edited by: Kirby1024 ]

Remember to focus LNSE. Small group of personalities, go for characterization rather than cool, etc. The movie we're doing here is N! so work on the depth of the major characters before you shoot off into the skyline with Krypto the wonder dog or the unicorn legends.

Speaking of LNSE and unicorns; Endeavor grew up in the house hold of a super intelligent and overprotective mother. How's the freedom thing going for her? I realize she's been very busy of late but she's still a demi-god no matter how much she tries to be little Sakura. Sitting in one place makes her very accessible, eh?

Way back when there was this funnly little man that played aberrant with me. He desperately wanted to play a nova-dog. The storyteller smirked and agreed. A node was somehow transplanted into this dog and it just gets worse from there. The little dog body just couldn't handle the quantum, taint occured in obseen amounts and before the funny little man realized it he was playing a crazy tainted monster, needless to say, has anyone seen Old Yeller, or maybe Cujo? He had to be put down.

And I won't even go into the annoyance factor of playing with a character that can olny bark, whimper, scratch at floor, I would have killed him sooner if my character wasn't under serious mind control for that part of the story.

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Apep ]

Archived