Aberrant RPG - WOW ! Aberrant: The Movie

Matador

Imagine that you are Dino DeLaurentis or some other top movie producer, and want to produce an Abbie movie. You have about $200,000,000 bucks (the budget for titanic and dinosaur).

What would be your choice for cast & crew, movie title and the plot? Also, would you launch a toy line, would it be R, Nc-17 or PG-13?

And yes, I know the subject of this post was a cheap trick.

Caestus Pax - who else could play Big Man Pax but Arnie?

Divis Mal - Brad Pitt. Watch him in Fight Club and watch him pull off crazy-power-mad-messiah-boy.

Andre Corbin - Ewan McGregor! He's Scottish, he's a good actor, and he can play a snarky little bastard if needed.

More to come...

My choices could be:

Movie Title : Aberrant : 1998

Director: Ridley Scott or David Fincher (From Fight Club)

Music by Elliot Goldenthal (Aliens 3, Titus) or Hanz Zimmer (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down) or The Kronos Quartet (Requiem for a dream)

Cast:

Caestus Pax : Bruce Willis or the guy from The Sentinel tv series.

Divis Mal: Brad Pitt or Wilhelm Dafoe

Jen Landers: Jennifer Connelly (w/ hair done)

Andre Corbin: Vincent Cassel (From Dobberman)

Geryon: ILM or Dreamworks

Antaeus: Sean Connery with make up effects

Dr Farah Rashoud: Andrea Sawatzki (The female doctor from Das Experiment)

Randel Portman: Gabriel Byrne

Editor : Pietro Scalia (from Gladiator, Black hawk down)

Plot:

The plot would cover from the early days (1998) to the final conflict between Mal and Pax. I would also launch a toy line (from Mcfarlane Toys) and a comic book mini series, probably by Alex Ross in a "Kingdom Come" fashion, but in a "Spuerman: Peace on Earth" format.

A subject very near and dear to my heart.

Timeline: 1998 - 2010

Title: Aberrant

Director: Ridley Scott

Music: Hanz Zimmer

CAST:

Cestus Pax: Bruce Willis

He does serious well. The guy can not crack a smile for entire movies. Think 'Unbreakable'.

Divis Mal:

Henry Rollns

I like Brad Pitt and he does crazy god-complex well, but he's too fucking small. Henry is built like Mal, and I could easily see him pulling off the quiet air of superiority necessary for the job. Brad doesn't scare me. He's wiry-tough. Henry is tear-you-into-itty-bitty-pieces-tough.

Jennifer Landers: Alyson Hannigan or Claire Danes

Either one has the right mix of sweet, cute, girl-next-door-ishness. Either would also need Lee Press-On Freckles, though.

Andre Corbin: Angus MacFayden

He played Lucius in the movie 'Titus'. A Scotsman already, he does smarm and ego well.

Geryon: Vin Diesel

With a fuckload of makeup, of course. He's got the scary-doom voice and the quiet menace going for him.

Randel Portman: Russel Crowe

'A Beautiful Mind' Russel Crowe, not 'Gladiator' Russel Crowe. He looked like an average-but-not-quite kinda guy. Built like a fireman.

Mephistofaleez: Chris Rock

Oh please. Like it could be anyone else.

Slag: Bruce Campbell

Because no film is ever complete without him.

Raoul Orzaiz: Samuel L. Jackson

I know there's somebody out there better, but 'Unbreakable' convinced me he could do serious. Give me time, I'll figure it out.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll add more cast later.

.ronin

No way would I do big actors for this. Naw, actually do some casting. Find the right person for each part, let them be new to us so that we can see them as the part, not as just one more part of dozens we've already seen them in.

Director would be one of a couple, Kathryn Bigelow, Ridley Scott, maybe Cameron.

The rest of that big bad 200 mil goes into making a 3 hour (no less) epic following one singular nova who erupts on N-Day and his life for the next 10 years. Starts out mister uber nice guy, we see him interact with all sorts of different canon characters, and ends up with his taint buttered ass beating Slider into a pulp.

I think Laurence Fishburne (Morpheus from The Matrix) could do Orzaiz quite nicely. He has that quiet, deep air about him that gives off an aura of smug superiority.

A few other choices:

Thorn - George Clooney. Don't laugh - watch Three Kings and watch him pull off a special forces type with confidence and charm.

Justin J. Laragoine - Dan Ackroyd. He could do an idealistic leader of a large charity operation who surfs in his spare time...

Skew - Keanu!

Director Thetis - Judi Dench. She sends James Bond out to kick ass, and now she can go one better and sic Pax on her enemies.

Antaeus - Sean Connery. Mythical and arrogant and ill-tempered with the human race... I think The Sean can pull this off.

Chiraben - Edward Norton, 'cause he's good in any movie. smile

See, the thing is, I'm of the opinion that RPGs make bad Movies. I don't think I've seen an exception to the rule yet.

The other thing, is that the Aberrant World is Vast - Just what aspect are you going to focus on, because even three hours really isn't that long. A standard 90 minutes will vanish *click* like that.

The big problem with converting RPGs to Movies is the baggage. There's just too much to fit in to do the source justice. Usually, you have to really pray that you can just get the "cool" factor going, and make something that vaguely resembles the source.

Which is why I always advocate making RPGs into Television Series. It's like film, but with no Time Limit. You can fit in as much characterisation as you like, you can keep adding plot elements as much as you'd like...

What can I say? Television has a lot of elements going for it that Film can't match...

The only RPG movie I've seen is Dungeons and Dragons, and the only RPG TV show I've seen would be Kindred: The Embraced...

It'd be tough to determine which one was less entertaining. smile

I think the purpose of a casting call of a movie isn't to make it into a movie, but to put a face we all have seen to a character that until now, only exists in our heads. It helps to crystalize the characters into a clearer form.

As for Bruce Willis as Pax... I'm pretty sure that the pictures they have in the art gallery include a Pax photo of Brucie Boy. smile

Prodigy --

No less than 3 hours. Word.

Thought your plot sounds sort of like M. Night Shayamalan or David Lynch doing the canon movie 'Nova'.

Ashnod --

I'm madly in love with both. It was an easy association. ^_^

Vixen --

Laurence Fishburn is a better choice for Raoul, you're right. Still, though, I can't help but think there's someone out there who's actually the right mix of African-Spanish the Count seems to be.

Right on for Thorn, Antaeus, Skew and Thetis as well. I agree 100%. Laragoine is a little young to be Akroyd, though, and as for Chiraben, I've got my own ideas, as much as I think Ed Norton kicks ass.

Kirb --

As Vixen pointed out, we have, for the most part, one each teevee show and film about gaming. I still go film for a number of reasons, namely:

1. Swearing, gratuitious violence, nudity and a bunch of other stuff you can't get away with on the telly.

2. Movies are almost universally bigger-budget, which means better FX.

3. Respectable film actors don't do television. Respectable television actors do film.

4. I fucking hate television, personally.

Anyway, that said, here's round two.

Chiraben: John Leguizamo

He's convinced me of his range in the past, and I think he could do psychotic and violent pretty well.

Corbin: Ewan McGregor

I know, I already cast Corbin. But I had scarcely made it bed before realizing "Oh yeah, Corb was younger than Landers. Crap." While Ewan isn't younger than Hannigan, it could be faked. Ewan does smarmy well, too.

Dr. Worm: Patrick Stewart

Intellectual and still able to sound like a demeaning fuck. Plus he's bald and well past his prime, but still dignified.

Totentanz: Dolph Lundgren

If he isn't the Aryan poster child, then who is?

More to come, but I've got work to do.

.ronin

I highly disagree with casting Henry Rollins as Divis, though. The guy has fleeting charisma at best, and his stand-up comedy is not consistently amusing. Not to mention his acting chops really haven't been put to the test, and what few roles he has landed haven't really been meaty.

• 1 year later...

I think the problem with all these characters is that you are making this movie an insider in-joke. The more characters you have, the less they will get developed and the more it will look like people cramming things to make sure they got every thing in time.

Plots have a conflict and resolution. Aberrant, the world, has tons of conflict but no real resolution. Utopia, Teragen, Directive, Aberrants, etc... never solve anything permanant.

The key would be to take a good plot and THEN add the world to it. If you just said "Well it needs all these people, then lets have some plot" you get an in-joke that appeals to the shallow "heh heh cool" sense and not the "what a innovative way to do that" artistic sense.

Thats how I felt about the drivel that made up the second and third matrix movie. They ruined the solid simplicity that made the first one a work of art, trading it for special effects, bigger guns and 10,000,000 fight sequences that solve nothing plotwise or artistically.

*chuckle*

How about N! Prime: The Movie? These are my suggestions, so don't crucify me if they suck.

Ashnod: Debra Messing, a red-haired Julia Roberts or even Nicole Kidman if one was desperate. wink

Jager: Brad Pitt or Orlando Bloom.

Endeavour: Kelly Hu or Lucy Liu. smile

Neil Preston: Ashton Kutcher.

Preston: Sam Waterston from Law and Order, or maybe the guy who plays Brisco from the same show.

Codex: Lisa Ryder from Andromeda.

Totem: CGI, with some Native American actor doing the voice.

Irini: Natalie Imbruglia with a Russian accent (Aussie pop star who's popular in UK, for those who haven't heard of her.)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to add other suggestions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hannah 'Focus' Moss:
*chuckle*

How about N! Prime: The Movie? These are my suggestions, so don't crucify me if they suck.

Ashnod: Debra Messing, a red-haired Julia Roberts or even Nicole Kidman if one was desperate. wink

Jager: Brad Pitt or Orlando Bloom.

Endeavour: Kelly Hu or Lucy Liu. smile

Neil Preston: Ashton Kutcher.

Preston: Sam Waterston from Law and Order, or maybe the guy who plays Brisco from the same show.

Codex: Lisa Ryder from Andromeda.

Totem: CGI, with some Native American actor doing the voice.

Irini: Natalie Imbruglia with a Russian accent (Aussie pop star who's popular in UK, for those who haven't heard of her.)

That's all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to add other suggestions.
Let me add to that list: Orlando Bloom is... DigiGeist.

After all, the look of DigiGeist was inspired by Legolas, only more... modern.

As for Endeavor though, I would pick Dianne(sp?) Mizota. I believe the character she played in Austin Powers was the character Fook Mi.

(laughs)

Of course you could grab one of the girls that are in the Live Action Sailor Moon series in Japan. :P

I true aspect of the game. It would have to be a series. and I think instead of releasing the series with years inbetween, lets try something different.

how about releasing the movie in their original regions!!!

a different movie for each part of the world. make TRUE fans like us travel to see these other movies, and also get the true feel of the enviroment the mopvie is set in.

on second thought, I would just wait for the DVD!!

Archived