Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 10a: Choice

Justin OOC

Skye had been left in the throneroom for hours. After trying to leave and beeing told she couldn't leave the palace grounds, the throneroom just seemed like the idea place to remain, since it could at least serve to watch the battles taking place across the world and Lunar satellite.

The door opened and Hizashi entered.

"I have brought you a guest. The others will be along soon enough, then we can end this."

With that two Hiroga muscled Kai into the room who looked defiantly at Hizashi.

"Remember our bargain."

Hizashi nodded. "The same for you, Last of the True Amaha, I will keep my end."

When the door closed, Kai's shoulders slumped, and he looked at Skye. "I'm glad you're alright."

For two seconds, Skye was happy to see Kai. Then the realization of what his presence meant sunk into her mind and she struggled to not just sink to her knees and sag with despair.

"So am I," Skye replied, crossing her arms. "We can't leave, or I assume that just because you're here, they won't let us walk out. Say, don't suppose that you can magic us out of here or something. Unless you were too busy making deals with the bad guys that forbid that or... ya know. Something."

"Very perceptive of you."

He sighed and sat on the steps of the thrones. "I couldn't beat him, and Kelly would have died if she even tried. So I made a deal, sparing lives, if I went along quietly."

He nodded to her. "You've changed, you're stronger now."

He smiled. "That's good we're going to need it for what comes next."

"We win and go home."

He smiled to her, and something about the smile was both supremely calming, and completely familiar. She knew she'd seen it before but knew not where.

He nodded. "One thing about my friends, and the people I'm blessed to have around me, they don't know how to fail."

He looked to her and though there was no guile or sign it was as though his eyes could see her soul, and he was weighing whether this was the same for her.

"After I got to know Lily, a part of me dreamed about seeing this place, her homeworld. Sasami went on and on about it, and it was about the only thing I ever heard Hayato, Lily's little brother speak positively about."

"Then I get here, and I see what Takashi's done. It's a nightmare, one that I can't help feel I caused."

"Phst," Skye snorted, rolling her eyes. "Takashi is responsible for his own actions. Sure you may have hurt his feelings or something, but he's a grown... whatever and what he does is his fault.

"You say that this place is damaged?" Skye asked, wondering if that were true. It was already the most beautiful place she'd ever seen; she was a little surprised to learn that this wasn't as good as it got. Kai nodded and Skye shook her head. "Wow. Well, at least now you have the chance to help return it to its former glory."

"I guess," Kai said, considering.

"It is pretty here, very serene," Skye said softly. "I think I like it here."

"He's killed everyone Skye. Just like he did on Earth."

He sighned. "Alright he tricked the Federation into attacking Satoshi's ancient enemies, and they got overzealous and destroyed the The entire seaboard of china. Still he trapped them and did it. Here, he led his forces in the genocide of a people I hoped to make true allies of."

"He's like me you know, a Skeleton Key. Rare beyond measure and Earth produces two within a generation. It's unheard of, and He's a sadistic monster. I suspect the only reason we're alive is that Hizashi is restraining him."

He chuckled. "It's all funny in a certain way. I should be getting ready for college, and here I am in an Alien palace with a Priestess for an alien goddess from another dimension waiting for my friends to arrive so we can kick the crap out of the badguys and go home."

"I miss my old life sometimes, it could be humdrum, but I hadn't already died twice."

Skye shook her head. "I don't know what I'd be," she said softly. It was still in the back of her mind that he'd compelled her to kiss him, but in truth, she was lonely enough that she was willing to talk. "I wanted to be a model and I was a total bitch in high school, so I was halfway there. Many would say that I'm still a total bitch."

Kai wisely avoided that topic as he asked, "So how'd you get here?" He seemed to want a distraction to pass the time as well, so Skye nodded and started talking.

"Via Bazaroth and Ikaris," she said. "We were demon hunters in high school. All of us - Kazuo and a few others who aren't here - were given mystic weapons and pointed at the demons. How only half of us died, I'll never know. When the battle was over, Kazuo and I were both pulled into Bazaroth. We weren't in the same area, or else we might have busted out together. I found my way to Ikaris and he to Citadel. We didn't run into each other until we got here."

"I'm familiar with Ikaris, and I know Bazaroth's the Demon Realm, but Citadel I've only heard of once."

He sighed. "Ikaris was so peaceful, when archmagi and servants weren't trying to kill us. I'd like to go back there some day."

"Bazaroth... I was tricked into opening a gate to it once, and then closed it shortly afterwards. When the federation attacked, they destroyed the seal of the main gate, and something big came through. I nearly died sealing the gate but we never found what came through."

He sighed. "hard to believe you weren't a part of the Grail War if you were in Ikaris when we were, you're very strong Skye. Did you ever get a chance to go to the Hanafubuki Inn?"

"The Grail War was before my time there," Skye said softly. They were treading onto ground she didn't want to discuss. "I was there after, when the Dragons were rising. They created a lot of problems - infighting between clans, warring on other species... things like that.

"And yeah, I've been to Hanafubuki." Her voice was tense, tugged taut between grief and anger. "I went there for my honeymoon."

"You're... married?"

"Not anymore," Skye said, smiling at his surprise. Was that mingled with disappointment? She couldn't tell. "He... died."

"I'm sorry," Kai said immediately, his sympathy genuine.

"It's okay," she said softly. "He wasn't really my husband - he was a doppelganger pretending to be my perfect man. But he was a soul-suckin' arschloch, with the emphasis on sucking out my actual soul."

"You killed him didn't you?"

There was no accusation in his tone, just a statement of fact and half question all in one.

"My apologies, That's not my business." his voice was so sincere.

"So you spent your younger years fighting demons? And then Bazaroth, God that must have been hell in every way."

He nodded. "I'll send you home, if you want." It was something within his power, though it would leave them in a weaker position.

"You don't need to fight our war after having done so much else." There was no pity in his voice, just a sadness at the way things had gone.

"I never wanted war." Across his lap he held his sword, the gleaming metal seeming to hum softly. "Your fans, they've been your companions through everything haven't they?"

"Yeah, I've had them since just before I was pointed at a demon and told I had to kill it," Skye said. "Hey, I also have this." She pulled out the sword, making Kai's eyes widen as it seemed to appear from under her kimono in a way that defied all laws of physics and decency. "Could you use this? I mean, to fight?"

She leaned close to him and he couldn't help but see her beauty. "I found it on the throne; I think it was Lily's brother's. Since ya'll are girlfriend and boyfriend, she'd probably prefer you have this over me."

He looked at her, and then at the sword. He reached out to touch it. It pulsed with power, and he nodded.

He smiled. "I'm affraid it wouldn't obey me. It takes a special kind of person to wield a sword like that. Perhaps I could teach you to wield it one day, or Lily might be able to use it."

He nodded. "It is truly magnificent, and reflects the character of the man whom it was made for, Very strong."

"So you and Kazuo came from the same place? I wish he hadn't disappeared, we could use him right about now."

"We could really use any kind of help right now."

Skye froze, her expression becoming fragile. "What?" she whispered.

Kai looked abashed as he realized that probably wasn't the best way to break the news about Kazuo. "Uh..."

"He disappeared?! What happened?!" He wouldn't have just left her, of that Skye was sure. She knew this. Something had happened to him again. "Fick! I can't take my eyes off of him for a few hours without him getting kidnapped! Gott!"

And to her shame, she started to cry. For so long, finding Kazuo had been her goal; she'd gone through so much looking for him. And now that she'd found him, he'd been taken away again. It was so unfair!

Kai shook his head. "I'm sorry."

He stood and he wanted to comfort her, but he couldn't.

"I'll help you find him, I promise." His words may not have been the most reassuring, but the aura he radiated was. It was a warmth She'd felt before when she kissed him.

What's more she knew she'd felt it before, but she couldn't have, right?

"Why!? So he can be taken away again?" Skye wept. Her body shook with the force of her sobs as she continued, "You don't know what I've been through! I went to Hell for him, to find him because I thought he needed help to get home. I never even got close! He didn't need me, probably didn't even think about me!"

She rubbed at her face, somehow beautiful even with red eyes and a runny nose. In her pain, she rambled between Japanese and German. "So viele Jahre, so viel Schmerz, und dann habe ich ihn töten... but why should I expect it be any different from the rest of my life? Jeder, den ich liebe ist mir genommen oder getötet von mir oder wegen mir! Ich kann nicht ...... I can't do this anymore! I can't!"

Six years of hope fulfilled were ripped away after only a few days, and the priestess was just emotionally empty. She'd held up for so well for so long, but this had broken her.

And just in time for the big fight, too.

Click to reveal..
So viele Jahre, so viel Schmerz, und dann habe ich ihn töten... - So many years, so much pain, and then I kill him...

Jeder, den ich liebe ist mir genommen oder getötet von mir oder wegen mir! Ich kann nicht ... - Everyone I love is taken away from me or killed by me or because of me! I can not ...

"Okay. I won't ask you to then."

He smiled. "I'll keep my promise, I'll send you home, or help you find Kazuo, whichever or both, you decide."

He offerd her a small cloth and nodded. "Here, such beauty shouldn't be marred by sadness."

After she took it he returned to his seat on the steps and his eyes closed. The lines on his body began to glow, and he nodded. "Across the world my people are fighting and winning, if only barely. My Captains fight and have tied up major obstacles. All that's really left for us is to gather here, and Face Takashi, Hizashi and whoever else they haven't sent away."

"Can you tell me anything of the others you've seen here, those who've stood out among the others?"

Gosha walked towards the bedroom door of the Princess, she had asked him to come just before the meeting with the King. As such he had dressed in his finest, blue trousers with a well cut loose light blue shirt covered with an open coat with a high collar in a dark blue with silver trimming. He wore the silver chain the Princess had given him around his neck and a seemingly worthless blue crytal hung on a chain from a bracelt on his right wrist. His armour and katana were back in his room. They were not welcome additions to a throne room.

He pushed down on the handel of the door and started to open it.

You are needed.

The womans voice seemed to come from everywhere. He turned his head to try and find it as he walked through the door but couldnt see a thing. He shrugged. Went to take a step further into the room, but stopped dead.

This did not seem like the right place.

He bowed to the two people before him.

"My apologies, I did not mean to intrude. I was under the impression though, that the door I just opened led to the bedroom of the Princess."

He looked around the room a bit more.

"I was sure I was nowhere near the throne room was on the other side of the palace to the bedroom. Could I have been so lost in thought I walked in the wrong direction? No, not possible.

If you would be so kind as to direct me to the bedroom of Princess Himegimi I would be most grateful. My meeting with the King is at the top of the water," he taps what seems to be a watch on his left wrist, it shows a disc which is almost completely blue with just a sliver of green on it, "and the Princess asked me to see her before I went. So if you dont mind, I will be on my way with your assistance, and leave you to," he waves his hands around, "sort your personal issues out..."

Kai felt the dimesional tear, sure it wasn't him. The newcomer was a warrior by his bearing, and Kai didn't recognize him.

"I do not know of a Princess by that name here, nor is there a King."

He was on his Guard, the newcomer clearly wasn't from here. "What world do you come from?"

Gosha was a little taken aback by this question.

"Thats not a question that readily makes sense. Now if you had asked what nation or land I am from then I could easily answer. I think that is what you mean. But I am surprised you dont know me. I have been Arena Champion two years running now, I thought everyone knew me."

"But to answer the question, as I can understand what your asking, I grew up in a small town in the Inundail Federation within the nature segment. Though I do fail to see how my peasant like upbringing has anything to do with why I am here."

It took Gosha a moment to realise what else had been said and he laughed.

"You do make quite the delightful joke. I travelled here but yesterday from the Sunward City with the Princess on the express mission of meeting with her father, THE KING, to discuss extra protection measures on the Water Tower. I had not realised that people from the Kingdom of Cresent would make jokes like that."

"Now, please just point me in the right direction before I start thinking you are being rude."

"I think you might want to take a seat, because what I have to explain to you is probably going to be abit much then."

Kai looked at him with that sort of "Oh God, did they send another one?" look that Officers use when a new transfer recruit shows up from a completely unexpected unit.

Once he saw that the man didn't move he sighed and began. "None of those landmarks, those people you mention, are here. You are no longer in the world you know, and have been transported here to this world."

He shook his head. "For what, I cannot say." His words betrayed no dishonesty, and were completely sincere.

Gosha threw his head back and laughed at the ceiling.

"You expect me to believe that its possible to move someone from one place to the next instantly? Not only that, but your saying that I am not even in Le'Tayah anymore, but somewhere completely different? I doubt theres enough Gemz available outside the High Council to be able to achieve something like that, the power consumption would be massive..." his words trail off and his eyes widen.

"YOU," he points an accusing finger at the strange man, "have travelled to my world to steal our power sources? Doing so has endangered the balance of the world and is soon to throw it into conflict. Here I was under the assumption those following the orders of the Shadow Mages had taken the stones, but I see I was mistaken. I am glad I had managed to retrieve two of the Gemz you had taken, but the Water Tower Gem is still missing. Why have you taken it! I need to take it back to my world now! GIVE ME THE GEM!" his anger is obvious, though he doesnt make any threatening moves towards the two, he just stands their with his hand outstretched waiting for the Gem.

His eyes do not stand still, and the unnatural blueness of them moves up and down left and right as they consider the two people standing in front of him. From his training and the last few years fighting in the Arena he knew how to judge his opponent and to figure out what element they represented. He tensed his muscles as if to launch an attack to allow his mind to show him the swirling colours that represented, in a way, the skill level of his opponent. He wondered where and how big the golden sweet spot would be.

Skye hadn't been able to stop crying. Kai didn't understand how upset she was. Skye was pretty sure that he'd never lost someone in this way; he might have had someone die, but she doubted he'd have someone he loved be taken away for six years.

Now that she had lost Kazuo again, Skye was able to admit, at least to herself, what she felt for him. That didn't change anything, he was still lost. It was too late, way too late.

The man's angry diatribe cut through Skye's grief. She had been crouching with her arms around her knees; now she stood and turned, her tear-stained face still beautiful as she rounded on the intruder. "Look at us! Do we look like we're from your world? Are we dressed like you? Any women with pointed ears?" She pulled her hair back to show hers. "Stop reacting to your own situation and realize you're in one a hundred times worse!

"You're not hunting gem thieves anymore. You've just stepped into a war with a homicidal man who can gate to any place in the multiverse and Death himself!" The petite woman didn't appear to be that strong, but she was definitely worked up.

She stepped forward and stopped just before his waiting hand. "Our enemies aren't big on anything other than killing people and destroying anything they can't have and have the way they want it," Skye said. "Help us or die. I'll sweeten the pot: help us and I'll help you find your thieves when this is done. Unless we die of course, then you're on your own." She was quite the image as she stood there: from the plunging neckline of her kimono to her bare feet, up to the pain-wracked eyes and kissable lips that trembled with suppressed sobs, she didn't look like a thief. That didn't stop thoughts of fun to be had with restraints from creeping into Gosha's mind.

"A hundred times worse? I walk from a world soon to be thrown into darkness and ice to a room where a man has made a woman cry. I realise that when a man makes a women cry then the whole world would seem to be about to explode, but from where I am standing it isnt is exactly a hundred times worse.

I can say though that I have not seen anyone with pointed ears before. It doesnt really surprise me considering some of the things that were created during the Shadow War by the ten great mages. Pointed ears really seems like a minor alteration.

The situation you happen to be in though is news to me. If you do not know of the Gem I seek, then maybe he does. But I still do not have trust in you that he did not take it. And considering, as you say, I'm from another world, you two sure seem to know a lot about it. I do doubt most people would have reacted in this way.

The questions as they stand now are, where is this maniac? Why havent you killed him yet? And why are you crying in a throne room when you should be out looking for him?"

He lowers his hand to his side, keeping his right hand open and placing his left hand where his katana should have been. He gropes in the air for a bit then just rests it on his belt. He blinks a few times a tries to remove the anger from his eyes while not taking them off hers. Finally he tears his gaze away though and moves off to the side.

"I am sorry if I can acted... irrationally... but you do have to admit that this is a very irrational situation I am in right now. And here you are, asking me to just forget about everything I've been dealing with these past three years and shoulder a burden of which I know nothing about and until the last few steps I took has had nothing to do with me?"

His voice was showing no signs of anger now, instead it betrayed how tired he was. This was nothing to do what had just transpired, but more a build up of sleepless nights over weeks, months, if not years. A bone weariness.

Kai's hand never even drifted to Senbonzakura, but in Gosha's vision he saw something that was difficult, As it stood, Kai's weakness was large, but nebulous. It hinted that this was nowhere near what would pass as his fighting level.

He looked To Skye, suprised at her outburst, but glad to see her stop crying.

"It takes alot of getting used to. A number of my friends are in this situation. It's not forgetting, so much as setting aside. Because when those doors open again it will be our friends, likely followed by whoever's left to fight."

"I know somebody just cut loose with a major spell at any rate, it won't be too long now."

At first, Skye's face scrunched in anger at his mocking start, but she managed to restrain her outrage at his belittling of her. "Of course this is a hard situation to take," she granted him. "It was hard for me the first time I was sucked through a portal into another realm. At least you're not in Bazaroth."

Skye moved in front of him; not blocking him but not letting him sidestep from her physically. "Look, this isn't your thing, I know. And you didn't ask for this, I get it. But when you walked through that door, you were involved. Our enemies are arschlochs who aren't going to care what you're looking for. All they're going to want is either your complete, fanatically obedience or for you to die because you won't grovel at their feet. So make your choice, and if you help us, we'll help you after. Right, Kai?" She looked at the Key, her blue eyes saying that he'd damned well better agree with her on this point.

"Doesnt seem like much of a choice. And fantically following someone set on destroying things is sort of the opposite of what I am currently doing, so it wouldnt look good if I changed mindset right now. Care to explain a little more the current situation. Two people in a throne room doesnt seem like much resistance to a maniacal overlord."

Skye laughed, a hard bark of noise that held no humor. "I'm pretty new to it myself, but Takashi wants Kai's job and Hizashi is Death and likes to kill things," she explained, her voice taut with black humor. "Takashi wants everything to be his and if he can't have it, he'll destroy it. If he can't have it in its original form, he'll destroy it. That's what he plans for this palace: he can't have it so no one else can." Her hands brushed her stolen sword, still hidden under her kimono.

"We have allies on the way," Skye added. Though one less. That nearly started her tears again. Shaking them off, she added, "And Lily is prisoner here, somewhere. If we can spring her, she'll help us out. That's Princess really-long-name, but she seems to be okay with Lily." She glanced at Kai. "Did I miss anything?"

Gosha rattles the names off against his fingers, "Takashi and Hizashi, I take it those are the enemy here. Kai, Lily, your friends. Well, if we are going to try and get along for the time being we may as well start things properly."

He bows to her and takes he hand to kiss the back off it, "Pleasure to meet you, Lady, my name is Ho Gosha, Knight of the Wilted Rose. Most people just call me Gosha though."

Kai shook his head. "Lily's not here."

He smiled. "Once Hizashi brought me here I was able to sense the presence of the powerful personnel still here. Lily's is not among them. Her real name is Aksaniolily, she's the crown princess of the Dalaraan Interstellar Empire. This is the Empire's Throneworld."

He extended his hand to Gosha. "I am Kai Morisato, Head Captain And CEO of Satoshi Heavy Industries and their Crisis Response Teams."

"It is nice to meet you though I wish it were under better circumstances."

Skye smiled at the anachronistic greeting; she'd always been amused by it, even though it was the normal and not old-fashioned in Ikaris. "I am Lady Skye... Fell of the BoneGate Stronghold, the Four Times Anointed Priestess of Luna, Defender of BoneGate, Burner of the Dead King of the Ice Spire, Holder of the Life Debt of Haresdlsiethseizarishtelsith the Prince of Dragon Clan FlameWings and much more, lately known by the Lost People as Skye the Fallen." The title came out smoothly, with only the small hitch where she had to remember to use her maiden name, not her married.

She dipped into a curtesy, the drop in her stance giving Gosha a nice view down her kimono. She didn't seem to notice, straightening with a smile to add, "Just call me Skye, though, okay?"

"Skye it is then. Pleasure to make both your aquaintances."

Gosha looks around at the room and shrugs.

"So whats the plan now then? We just sit and wait? Is there some sort of sword around here, I feel a little more comfortable with something tangible at my side. I was on my way to meet the Princess and the King, so it wasnt right for me to wear my blade."

He wanders around the room looking at everything thats in there, just for something to do, not trying to find a way out or anything. He doesnt look too uncomfortable as he wanders, except maybe for the odd twitch at the strange surroundings.

Gosha holds the sword cautiously, testing its weight.

"Oh, I dont plan on using it, I just feel more comfortable with a sword at my side. It's gotta feel right though. You know, just knowing and feeling something is there has a way of making you feel more at ease even if you dont plan on touching it again."

He hooks the sword into his belt, moving it a bit to get it into a comfortable position.

"Thankyou very much for this, I didnt really want to take anything without it being given to me in this new place."

Archived