Aberrant: 200X - Power for consideration

GDP_ST

Customised character power I'm proposing for Alexander Andrews. If anyone can spot any flaws or problems with this, please have at it. smile

Radiant Aura

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 3

Area: (Quantum + Power Rating) x 10 meters

Duration: Maintainance

This effectively is a combination of the Elemental Anima technique Alter Temperature and Enhance/Diminish (Light). Through careful manipulation of his internal energies, Alex can push his solar aura to expand beyond it's usual 18 inch range, providing the equivalent of moderate-to-strong sunlight to a large area. This raises the temperature in the area by 5 degrees Celsius, and increases the ambient light by 20%, for every success on a Stamina & Radiant Aura roll. The light is identical to sunlight in every way, including the risk of sunburn if exposed too long, providing UV rays as well, etc.

NOTE: This power cannot lower ambient temperature or light, only raise it, being more limited than the Elemental Anima technique.

The only comment I have to make is that a normal use of such EA techniques costs 3 QP per use anyway, making the Level 2 cost of 2 QP somewhat undercutting.

I would recommend you give it an increased expenditure cost of anywhere from 3-5 QP total, but otherwise, no complaint.

Well, for me, EA powers are really just Level 2 powers anyway, so the cost doesn't really matter to me. Just for the sake of anal-retentive completion, I would suggest giving the power a Quantum Minimum of 2 (maybe 3). It makes light, plus alters the ambient temperature, so it's more than Bioluminescence.

My only concern is how much the temperature can be altered. The Alter Temperature technique only shifts the temperature by 10 degrees per dot in the effect, it doesn't use Quantum in the equation. So at one dot, with Q5, that's already 60 degrees. I would suggest, since the power only raises the temperature, not lower, let it raise temperature by 15 or 20 degrees per dot in Radiant Aura (so at rank 5, it is 100 degrees Celsius, just as if you had Q5 and Rank 5 as it is now.)

Alternatively, maybe it could be a roll (to take into the account how Enhance/Diminish works) - Maybe 5 degrees and 20% enhancement of Light per success on the roll (I think Stamina + Radiant Aura is most appropriate)?

Archived