Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter 9.3c Angel and Angel?!

Justin OOC

With the battle over, everyone was allowed to rest. It was only natural that the two Asrai, or Asrai blooded participants would end up drawn together. Captain Nagare was with them, the Pilot and leader of the Mecha forces with the Satoshi ships in system smiled.

"So, Sakura I get, I've seen Captain Ishiyama's wings and all, I know he's Asrai. But you Kazuo, I've never seen an Asrai with wings like yours." As Tactical commander with Kai down, he'd already seen the video of the bridge battle, in addition to Battle-ROMs from the space battle.

"They're very unique, and if that's your actual weapon, then they're damn strong too."

He hit the button so they could watch the fight again, and he nodded. "Where did you learn that?"

He looked to Sakura. "You're so young to have your initial release already, I'd wager you're close to attaining your Bankai, should you press abit more."

She inclined her head slightly downward, in a respectful nod, she gave herself a momentary admonishment against pride however, reminding herself that humility was a guard against foolishness.

"Thank you." She looked over at Kazuo curiously herself, wondering about him, he certainly didn't seem like a normal Asrai as she knew them.

Kazuo shrugged at the captain's questions. "I ain't even heard a these 'Asrai' 'fore I got here, man, so I dunno what ta tellya..."

He gazed uninterestedly at the monitor while it displayed his use of the Guillotine, dragging his tongue across his teeth unconsciously as he watched. When the captain asked him where'd he learned to use the ancient daitengu's* weapon Kazuo asnwered him bluntly. "In battle", he said.

After a slight pause he seemed to decide to go ahead and elaborate. "I dunno much about it", he went on, "The old guy who sent me an' Skye here gave th'weapon to me years ago. Called 'em the 'Imperfect Guillotine of the Celestial Dog' and told me that if I ever mastered the things I'd be able to use their 'Perfected Form'."

He nodded to the display from the Battle-ROMs, showing his battle out in space. "That's the Perfected Form, right there", he said, as his on-screen self blasted two drone-mechas into oblivion using two gigantic wing-like structures seemingly made out of pure light and energy. After another slight pause, he added, "Figured out how ta do that during the years I was on Bazaroth."

Click to reveal..
Daitengu: Lit. 'Great Tengu'.

She considered Kazuo for a moment, his story explained a few things about him. She then nodded slightly to Ryoma "I will explain the basics, at least what I learned in training on Aradia, you can fill n the gaps."

She turned back to Kazuo. "In the simplest of explanations, the native inhabitants of Aradia are known as Asrai and we are the opposite of the Demons of Bazaroth. In fact, most of the legends of angels and the like come from our conflict with one another. Unlike many other dimensions, Bazaroth and Aradia have no connection between them, so the conflict is generally fought upon other dimensions, we are practically native enemies. Asrai itself, the planet I mean, is alive and aware, and often aids and guides us, in different ways."

She paused. "Due in some measure, to the method of Asrai reproduction, occasionally the egg that an Asrai child grows in finds it's way to other dimensions before birth, and the child grows up without knowing it's heritage, especially sense wings are much slower to develop away from our home dimension. Asrai are extremely magical as well, and can interbreed with humans and some other humanoid races, in that case, the child is born in the human manner, usually, but holds traits of both races, this is my situation, I'm not sure yet, which yours is though."

Kazuo stared incredulously at the white-haired half-Asrai youth before him. "Huh", he commented dryly, as though trying to offset the look of pure disbelief plastered all over his face with a casual tone of voice, "that sounds like some real weird shit. I think yer all confusin' me fer somethin' I aint, though."

He cocked an eyebrow at Sakura and the captain, smirked and continued, "I was born in Tokyo, not on some 'living planet', r'whatever, an' neither one o' my parents ever had any wings, neither."

Kazuo shifted his one-eyed gaze to Sakura and asked, "An' magic? Magic's what priestesses and those pussy-ass demons back on Bazaroth use. Do I look magical to you, bijin?"

"No, you are Asrai, how or why, I don't know, but that is what you are, our enemy recognized my blood instantly, and he called you Asrai, he knew instantly, and there was no doubt at all, it is what you are." She paused a moment. "One does not have to be born on the living planet, I wasn't for example, a bit of human blood or any other kind of blood can make the matter more unusual. For example, I am 1/2 Asrai and 1/2 Human, I was born in the human manner."

"As to the matter of magic, that's simply the easiest thing to call it, you can call it Chi, or Qi, or Spirit Energy, or Life Force, or Essence, or what you will, it is the energy that flows extremely strong in the Asrai, and you show all the signs of that... "

"But if you continue to have doubts, it's true there are a few other possibilities, that could be true. If your so sure your human, perhaps you'd like to have a genetic scan done, after all, if your genetics are purely human or even partly human, it would show."

"Uh, yeah...", muttered Kazuo as he scowled at their offers, "I don't think so. Look, I don't really care whatcha say I am, just so long as ya don't make a big deal out of it, kay?"

The idea of being poked and prodded by people he barely knew really didn't appeal to Kazuo. Plus, he wasn't sure he was ready for the possibility that basically everything he'd ever believed about himself was a lie, especially since it would also mean he was a freakin' angel. Screw that!

Click to reveal..
OOC: Just FYI, because Chinese uses traditional characters, rather than an alphabet, its words have to be romanized in order to be read by anyone not familiar with the traditional characters. 'Qi' is the Mandarin Pinyin way of romanizing a Chinese word meaning 'air', 'breath', or 'gas; 'Chi' is the Wade-Giles system of romanizing the exact same word. They're spelled differently, but refer to only one word and they sound exactly the same when spoken aloud. When you hear someone say the word so that it sounds like 'key', they're actually mispronouncing it - or, perhaps, they're only familiar with the Japanese word for their equivalent of the same concept, which is spelled 'ki' and pronounced like 'key' in English (more or less - technically both words use sounds that we don't typically make in English and the Chinese word is actually said so that it sounds more like 'tjee').

"So long as you fight like you did against those two, I don't really care what you are." Ryoma nodded. "You did well in space too incidentally. I reviewed those battle-roms and Gun-Cams. Damn impressive taking down a trio of Maulers without a mech. Good show against The E-Shadow too. I breathe alot easier now that it's gone."

He nodded. "That mech has a long history of destruction, even among my people."

She stared at Kazuo for a long moment, then shook her head slightly, he wasn't willing to accept it, he didn't want to accept it even if it was true. "So be it, the choice is yours, though I wonder what it is you fear so much about the answer. But if you prefer the uncertainity, so that you can continue to lie to yourself, or form whatever stories you want to tell yourself, I will not stop you from making that choice."

She paused. "Besides, Ryoma is correct." She tilted her hands one way and then another. "Now seems to be more the time for action then introspection."

Kazuo's good eye glowered at the white-haired young half-Asrai as he grit his teeth in irritation with her. "Kutabare!", he exclaimed. He jabbed a finger in Sakura's face and growled at her, "Listen, ki-irogami, ya don't know a single damned thing about me, so ya can keep yer opinions and yer holier-than-thou, stupid-ass attitude ta yerself! Got it?!"

When Ryoma inexplicably looked at each of them and, as though they weren't in the middle of an argument, casually asked them 'what they would do next', Kazuo scowled at the captain for a moment before answering, "Get drunk, if I'm lucky. Or at least find me some goddammed cigarettes. What th'hell d'you people do around here ta take the edge off, anyway?"

Click to reveal..
Kutabare: Go to hell!

Ki-irogami: Bleach-blonde (but said in a tone that implies something closer to 'stupid bimbo'). Said in reference to Sakura's naturally white hair, which would normally only be possible through bleaching.

"Sleep."

Ryoma looked at him. "My personnel are on duty, until we get home. Drinking, smoking, all other harmful activities are generally prohibited aboard the ship in wartime."

He smiled. "We officers aren't bound by it, but O believe in not asking my subordinates to do anything I'm not."

"When we get back to Earth, it will be my pleasure to take you out drinking, provided Akina hasn't found a way to illegalize it globally."

Kazuo flat-out gaped at Ryoma. If he'd had a cigarette, it would have just fallen out of his mouth while he stared. The storm clouds gathering over the scarred warrior's head could almost literally be seen.

Looking down, Kazuo pressed two fingers and a thumb hard against his forehead and squinted his eyes closed while he grimaced. Under his breath he was muttering.

It sounded something like, "Gonna fuckin' kill that Old Bastard!"

"And you can keep your arrogance and attitude to yourself as well, jerk." She responded as Kazuo put his finger in her face, and she responded to his attitude with one of her own. Up until now, she had pushed down some of her feelings and frustration from the stress and grief she had discovered, but Kazuo was abrasive enough that she didn't feel bad about being harsh with him. "But that's likely impossible for someone as crude and abrasive as you are anyway."

Ryoman looked at Sakura and sighed. "You two sniping at each other isn't going to solve anything. Now before the two of you make a mess of my bridge, I suggest you both go cool off. There's several training dimension rooms, in addition to the big commons area in the Barracks."

"Go cool down or whatever, and try not to kill anyone."

Kazuo glanced up at the senile old goat of a captain while he tried to convince the scarred Japanese/Asrai/Celestial Dog of War that he 'wasn't old' by pointing out that he was almost two centuries old, which was kind of like saying that he wasn't homosexual while simultaneously wiping away the santorum* leaking out of his wrinkly old ass. In deference to Ryoma's age and obvious decrepitude, Kazuo refrained from making any smart remarks and merely clarified himself by saying, "Wasn't talkin' about ya, jiji."

When the white-haired and winged harpy laid into him, Kazuo scowled back at her and exclaimed in irritation, "Oi! What'd I just say 'boutcher goddammed opinions, girl?! Go tell 'em ta someone who gives a shit!"

As the doddering old captain attempted to defuse the situation, Kazuo just rolled his eyes and tried not to scoff audibly. When he was done suggesting that they go 'cool down', Kazuo smirked and muttered, "Yeah, fine. I don't even know what th'hell I'm doin' here - why would I think it wuzza good idea ta come up here n'watch a buncha fuckin' reruns anyway?!"

And with that, the Asrai-in-denial stalked off to find something else to do (hopefully something that wasn't mind-numbingly boring), calling out over his shoulder as he went, "Call me if any uv ya need yer asses saved again, yeah?"

Click to reveal..
Santorum: Rather than explaining this nastiness, I'll just link an explanation. I bear no responsibility for anything you may find there.

Jiji: Slangy way of saying 'old man' or 'grandfather' in Japanese.

She found that she had little use for this fellow anyway, and she didn't really care what Ryoma was saying, she didn't feel like calming down any, she'd didn't think she'd ever met any other Asrai who managed to infuriate her as much as he did. "If I want to give my opinions, I will, if your there or not, so I don't fucking care if you to stupid to care to listen to them or not. You can take your self-righteous arrogance and shove it."

When Ryoma would have stepped in again, she shook her head, and turned to leave herself. "And I never asked you to come here anyway, you want to save someone, go save that priestess girl of yours, I certainly don't need, and didn't need rescuing."

With that, she turned and walked out, heading the opposite direction from Kazuo, wanting to get as far away from him as possible.

As she walked out of the room, she stopped a moment, still furious at Kazuo, she was also somewhat upset with herself for losing her temper. But something about him just got under her skin and she found him very irritating.

She stopped a moment there in the hallway to take a deep breath, and regain her self-control. Thinking for a moment, she decided to go join those that she knew better, the team she'd been working with before they left earth.

Once she could find them of course, but at least she knew them, and could take the time to calm down a bit better as she tried to find out where they were.

It was easy to find Kelly and her team, The ships computers led her right to them, in one of the larger training rooms. She had special clearance, and as such was admitted within without halting the running simulation.

The six members of the team were about the room, Kelly the only one still standing, fighting against Hizashi. With a single stroke, Kelly was felled.

Hizashi seemed to fade and then disintegrated into a thousand fragments, as large holographic red letters appeared above them. "FAILURE."

Everyone got up as Kelly turned to face her. "Hello Sakura, good to see you. I wish you hadn't seen that horrible little display though."

"Good to see you also." She glanced at the holographic display then smiled slightly, as she considered the combat sequence, that would let her clear her head a bit, she thought. "Shall we try it again, this time with me fighting beside the rest of you? I think we could score better with all of us involved."

• 3 weeks later...

"OK then, here's how we do this, I am fairly sure that I can hit him, but that wouldn't prove anything to me, or push my limits any, in my view. Instead, this time, I guard the rest of you from his attacks, and you all make your attacks." She moved to the center of the room, and prepared to protect the rest of the team against any and all attacks.

The first attack she just barely managed to block, but the others went though her defenses, reaching out to strike Grace.

"Ok, this isn't going to work." She touched her blade, and called upon the deeper connection she possess. "Crimson Flower, Blossom." Upon her words, her wings unfolded, and her blade metamorphosed. "Let's try this again."

Click to reveal..

(10:45:32) ChatBot: (Sakura) rolls 2d6 and gets 5,5.

10 + 15 = 25

(10:45:48) ChatBot: (Sakura) rolls 2d6 and gets 4,2.

6 + 15 = 21

(10:45:48) ChatBot: (Sakura) rolls 2d6 and gets 2,3.

5 + 15 = 20

"Blast it." She continued to maintain a defensive stance, to protect the others, as they opened up on the enemy. "I need more practice at this." At least she could try and make it so that the team could last longer against the enemy, maybe see what sort of damage they could do working together.

His attacks came, but stopped just above her, as a sharp tone sounded. "All units report to ready stations, this is not a drill, all leave is canceled."

The simulation ended, and Grace was released. Kelly looked to Sakura. "You should head to the debriefing room with the other VIP's. We can continue this later."

Archived