Trinity RPG - What the hell are Auxiliary modes??

jamescukd

Basically, yes. All psions have their primary aptitude, and a few psions can have an auxiliary mode (a level one power of another aptitude). Say you're a telepath, you might have one dot of telekinesis. Having more than one aux mode is very rare, especially across more than one aptitude. Your telepath might have one dot in all three psychokinesis modes (cryokinesis, pyrokinesis, telekinesis), but also having a dot of iatrosis would make him an odd duck indeed.

• 4 months later...

It depends on how you want to run things. Personally I have no problem with people having Auxiliary Modes, however I would suggest that they are more common amongst psions with a higher Psi rating. It is unlikely that a psion how only has a base Psi of 3 will have or ever develop any Auxiliaries, but one with Psi 6 to start with could have a couple, and/or from multiple Aptitudes.

Psions working for Trinity either full time, or to a lesser extent as Associates, will have more oppurtunity to get trained in other Aptitudes than those who stick with an Order, and Trinity would probably be keen to develop this aspect of their Psion operatives as they currently feel they are chronically short of Psions for their operations.

After all, it's your game, run it the way you want to.

I like the Upeo, so I cheated. I recently ran a game with a NPC in the team who was an Upeo from the start of the Descent into Darkness campaign. However, he was intended to be one of Atwans stay behind undercover guys keeping an eye on Earth and providing access to Latents. Unfortunately he got caught in the fringes of the damage from the Esperanza. This resulted in a variety of damage, which altered his appearance and him being a functional amnesiac - he still had all his skills, but couldn't remember anything about his past life. It also reduced his access to his Psi powers - all he had for a period of 5 years was a range of Auxiliaries he had or developed over the time - Mending, Tow, Gross Manipulation.

Just before the game started he regained access to his Auxiliary level (Mode 1) Teleportation Modes, and then recovered most of the rest after the Leviathan trips in Passage through Shadow and encounters with Susan Ngambe brought them, and started to bring the rest of his memory back.

Just for clarification's sake (not trying to be a jerk, just trying to not confuse the OP): Was he a teleporter to begin with, or not? If he was, then they aren't auxiliary modes; they were his primary modes. An "auxiliary mode" isn't just a one-dot power; it's a power from a mode other than your primary powers. Thus, with my teleporter, his Photokinesis, Technokinesis, and Pyrokiesis were both auxiliary modes; enabling him to have the basic abilities of PK and EK, but I would not be able combine or improvise with them (assuming you have the TPB).

On the other hand, even with, say, Warp 1 and Psychoportation 1, I can improvise with them and combine for other effects. Minor issue, especially if you don't allow Free Form, but I can also increase those abilities with experience, whereas my three auxiliaries are stuck at 1 dot forever.

FR

Yep, I am aware of the distinction, he already had through bonus pts (increased as it was an experienced PC game) and experience (to represent what he had before the Esperanza fell on him) Translocation 1 or 2,Transmassion 4 and Warping 2, which he regained access to consciously during Passage through Shadow and Ascent into Light.

The reason I called them his Auxiliary Level Modes is that at the time thats all he or anyone else knew about them. Due to his amnesia he had spent 5-6 years being known as John Doe, with nothing much known about his previous life, and since he had no access to higher powers, just a range of Auxiliaries, no-one even knew for sure what Order he had been triggered by. It isn't until he takes a ride on a Levithan through sub-space and feels that it is too crude/slow and then meets Susan Ngambe and other locations/people he knew on Karroo that he starts getting his memory and all the rest of his Upeo back under conscious control.

I say conscious control since he had sometimes actually been using Transmit Object when he thought he was using Relay Object, but since no-one was around who could tell him that he shouldn't be able to relay that much mass, or so easily pinch that biotech weapon from someones hand, he didn't realise.

Also in the team were a Biokinetic with the Babel Effect, and a Vitakinetic psychiatrist with Sense Emotion.

I do have the TPB and have read the Free-form rules a number of times, but since the players were all new to the system I didn't think they would appreciate the complexity

Archived