Aberrant RPG - How to buy backgrounds with XP?

NFVD

I know many backgrounds can only be gained via roleplaying (Allies, Backing, etc).

But what about these specific cases, how much should it cost to increase them:

Node - The size of that lump in your brain determines how much Quantum you can spend per turn. Seems like something you should be able to increase by shelling the big bucks.

Eufiber - I cant find the price for eufiber. I assume the "Quantum-sink/Armor" variety has to be tailor-made for each individual. But how much money does it cost? I originaly thought of allow an in-game purchase of Eufiber up to your dots on resources but that seems open to abuse.

Cipher - Same as Eufiber. If you have the money, contacts and alies you might obtain a rating in this after hame starts. The XP would represent effort put into covering your tracks. Again, what cost?

Attunement - I don't see this as a background but something akin to an Ability. Maybe purchased at the same cost provided some Nova that knows it is willing to teach.

Dormancy - Same as Attunement except that Novas with "Flame-on!" powers might learn to develop it on their own.

I know many backgrounds can only be gained via roleplaying (Allies, Backing, etc).
Technically, every Background, Ability, and Attribute, can only be bought/increased by putting the RP time into it - spending downtime studying or working, etc.
But what about these specific cases, how much should it cost to increase them:

Node - The size of that lump in your brain determines how much Quantum you can spend per turn. Seems like something you should be able to increase by shelling the big bucks.

If the player has hit their node rating more than once in the last mission, I won't give them a hassle on it.
Eufiber - I cant find the price for eufiber. I assume the "Quantum-sink/Armor" variety has to be tailor-made for each individual. But how much money does it cost? I originaly thought of allow an in-game purchase of Eufiber up to your dots on resources but that seems open to abuse.
I figure that going from zero to the Eufiber rating would require that much in Resources (preferably cribbed from cash on hand, not from Resources dots). However, Eufiber can also grow on its own, so if they already have Eufiber they can increase it every once in a while (ie, like 4-5 missions to go from 1->2 dots, more than that as you go up).
Cipher - Same as Eufiber. If you have the money, contacts and alies you might obtain a rating in this after hame starts. The XP would represent effort put into covering your tracks. Again, what cost?
You either have to have the abilities yourself, or be able to hire someone who does, to erase the tracks that your life has left. If you're hiring someone else, I'll never allow you to go above 4 dots. Otherwise, you need things like Cyberkinesis (or the Hacking specialty on top of a major dice pool), Telepathy, the Investigation and Tactics abilities, and absolutely no Influence/Reputation background.
Attunement - I don't see this as a background but something akin to an Ability. Maybe purchased at the same cost provided some Nova that knows it is willing to teach.
Attunement can be taught from another nova with it (as can Dormancy) but increasing it is a matter of practicing and pushing your limits. Both Dormancy and Attune are something that you have to be taught the first dot of by someone who already has it.

and absolutely no Influence/Reputation background.

I can see someone having Influence + Cipher. Divis Mal for instance. Everyone knows who he is, and his words have weight amongst Terats, but no one knows much about him or his activities. Also, one of the T2M members with a secret identity. Or even Totentaz. I'll have to check his stats, but it seems like he'd have both.

Basically, Cipher + Influence makes me think of novas that are famous for thier actions as novas and have quite a reputation, yet still have secret identities and hidden pasts.

I can see someone having Influence + Cipher. Divis Mal for instance. Everyone knows who he is, and his words have weight amongst Terats, but no one knows much about him or his activities. Also, one of the T2M members with a secret identity. Or even Totentaz. I'll have to check his stats, but it seems like he'd have both.

Basically, Cipher + Influence makes me think of novas that are famous for thier actions as novas and have quite a reputation, yet still have secret identities and hidden pasts.

Yes - but most of them hid their identities, then became famous, not the other way around. The more Influence you have before you try to cover up things in your past, the more difficult it's going to be.

Archived