Van Helsing

ProfPotts

I went to see the new 'Van Helsing' film yesterday. Pretty good stuff - lighthearted action-adventure all the way (don't expect a deep, thoughtful, masterpiece; or a dark & gritty horror).

The werewolf SFX were the best I've seen (especially if you happen to be a WtA player - actual 'Crinos' werewolves as seen in the game art!), & the vampire 'man-bat' SFX were also excellent - the werewolf Vs vampire fight at the end of the film is just great.

Van Helsing himself is portrayed in a very cool way. The fight between Van Helsing & Mr Hyde / the Hunchback of Notre Dame at the start of the film just screams 'Adventure!'. The gadgets are also very Adventure!-esque (with the Vatican 'Q department' being a nice touch).

Of course Kate as the gypsy princess, & the three 'brides of Dracula' are also reason enough to go see the movie... ::blush Although I'm sure that the ladies will be happy to go along as well thanks to our man Hugh... ::wink

All-in-all I thought it a well-spent couple of hours in the cinema - even (or perhaps especially) since I didn't have to engage my brain at all during the experience... ::biggrin

I personaly liked the feeling I got from this movie (as well as the leage)... Feelts somewhat pulpish :-)

And for once, the story in Van Helsing is actualy likable...

However, the fact that the castle in the end of the movie didnt collaps was a disipointment...

::ninja ::ninja ::ninja

I noticed that too. I was sitting in the theater and had to force myself not to mutter " Just kiss her already! You dig her, she digs you, blah blah blah let's kill some monsters already. " ::tongue

While this movie won't win any Oscar gold it was a hell of a lot of fun. Lots of cool imagery, neat gadgets, and just about every major monster movie cliche of the 1930s and 40s thrown into a stew and left to bubble and froth nicely. Jackman is naturally charismatic, and makes you feel for the character even if we know next to nothing about him really.

Literary purists may cringe at the inconsitencies(Dracula as a eurotrash-looking fellow rather than the white-haired and mustached Impaler archetype, Mr. Hyde once again not a dwarf but another Hulk pastiche, and Frankenstein's monster being referred to by the name of his creator, and Gabriel Van Helsing? Huh?) but on the whole the film is two hours and change of pulp fun. The brides were cool, the transformations were cool, the movie was just plain cool. My one wish is that they'd kept it in black and white throughout the film, but I guess you can't have it all.

If you're looking for a Serious Horror Film keep on trucking. But if you're looking for a fun action adventure/swashbuckler/old-school monster movie, check it out. Enjoyable stuff. :)

-Def.

[. . .] and Gabriel Van Helsing? Huh?)

This is actually a good thing. It distinguishes this young, athletic Van Helsing from Stoker's older Abraham, and it helps clarify that this Transylvania shouldn't be confused with Stoker's. This is a different world that happens to have a Dracula with three brides, a Frankenstein, his monster, an Igor, and werewolves, but it isn't Stoker or Shelley's world. As a different world, it plays by its own rules, so it can't be argued that Roxburgh's Dracula not looking like Stoker's Count is a fault — it's not Stoker's Dracula.

I could swear that in one of the reviews of Van Helsing, there was mention that this was also a legal issue. Unfortunately, I can't remember which review it was to see if it has more details.

This same clarification works with LXG. The pre-WWI world of LXG is not our world, so the technological advancements and other conflicts with "reality" don't count. In that world, the canals of Venice are deep and wide enough to accomodate the Nautilus.

1) I'd be curious what the legal issues are, as most of the characters are public domain.

2) And just think: They're thinking about a TV series based on the movie (extremely sort of; it'll be set in the same universe and is called "Transylvania".).

FR

This same clarification works with LXG.  The pre-WWI world of LXG is not our world, so the technological advancements and other conflicts with "reality" don't count.  In that world, the canals of Venice are deep and wide enough to accomodate the Nautilus.

Except for the small inconvenient fact that the film itself clearly shows that they aren't...

Stupid movie.

But Van Helsing was cool. Not good, but cool. And I loved the razor claws touch... A few more years and movies, and somebody will make a really convincing werewolf movie. I just can't wait. The two first werewolves in Van Helsing weren't all that, I think, but the last one rocked. Way cool.

1) I'd be curious what the legal issues are, as most of the characters are public domain.

That might be exactly the point. For the purposes of future films/TV series, Gabriel Van Helsing belongs entirely to Universal, whereas Abraham would be harder to defend and preserve. If I make a movie with Abraham Van Helsing and Dracula characters in it, Universal can't say a thing, but if I make one with Gabriel, then I've violated their copyright.

Van Helsing is only called 'Gabriel' by Dracula, right? He also remembers ancient wars, & is refered to as 'sitting on the left hand of God'. When Dracula & Van Helsing first meet face-to-face Dracula is surprised that VH doesn't recognise him, & it's only after he 'starts again' that he introduces himself as 'Dracula'.

My impression was that Van Helsing & Dracula were supposed to be the archangels Gabriel & Lucifer engaging in a constant battle throughout history (& opening the way for many sequels).

I thought it was pretty obvious - but maybe I'm reading too much into it? ::confused

My impression was that Van Helsing & Dracula were supposed to be the archangels Gabriel & Lucifer engaging in a constant battle throughout history (& opening the way for many sequels).

That might be what is intended, but if so, the choice of "Gabriel" is a little strange. In the Judeo-Christian texts, Gabriel is more of a messenger angel than a warrior angel: he delivers instructions to Daniel in Daniel 8 and 9 and makes the Annunciation to Mary in Luke 1. In Islam, Gabriel is the angel that dictated the Qur'an to Mohammed. In some of the extra-Biblical tradition, Gabriel is the angel (or one of the angels) that guards Paradise. Michael is the angel usually associated with the war against evil (Revelation 12).

Archived