noir rpg

CHAMBO99

we have just started an ace game of noir yes the rule system needs to be looked at but the setting is great.

we started out as punk kids in 1919 after the first world war has just more or less finish, we are really enjoying the setting as one false move and your character gets cement shoes and a nice dip in the ocean :) but what i don't like (but is funny) is that the games master has made me role for the baddies and i have never had such good roles in my life and of course have knocked the players characters for ten in this boxing match including my own (you wait admin) i will seek revenge.

chambo :(

I have to agree with Chambo on this, the game Noir is great as a setting, but the rules are a bit (erm) quirky........

Im sure over the coming weeks (months?) of running Noir I can make the modifications where necessary to iron out the inherent problems with the system......

On a side note though, for the 'life of crime' side of the 1920's era, Noir is OK as a supplement for Adventure! if you wanted to go down that route.

Not wanting to float my own boat, blow my own horn or erm... roast my own... err... turkey, but I just wanted to mention that I managed to save the game by knocking a guy, not just out, but clean off the floor.

all that combined with the fact that I'm the weakest character in the group.

lay yourself before me and worship thy lord!

To be honest, the fact that the core rulebook really lends itself to 'starting small' and working your way up - i was in 2 minds as to:

1) Start the characters off as 'gangsters' with a bit of history behind them

2) Start from the very beginning, when the characters are young kids who will eventually make their mark.

I went for option 2 - think the flashback scenes in Godfather Part II, or the beginning of the film 'Mobsters'.

I suppose my choice to freeform the whole thing (instead of actually making any notes whatsoever) made me go for option 2 above - i've found that this lets the players determine the entire game - what its about, its theme, its mood etc.  Sure, its a lot more work when you have to think on the fly, but I freeformed my 'Invasion of Absolute Zero' Trinity game and that seemed to work.

What's ahead for our Noir game, dunno really - i hope that the freeform choice pays off :)

yes 'Mal' and 'Hero' go together quite nicely don't they.

As for the game it is very good, the rules certainly seem nice and easy to get on with and the settings got an awful lot of potential to it by being stereotypical but only to the point of helping the characters imagine their surroundings and not to make things humourous and over the top.

My only complaint so far has actually sprung from my victory.

you see while I agree wild flukes should happen on the odd occasion (it keeps things interesting), in this game I have a 1 in 6 chance of rerolling dice everytime I roll (the game involves getting a dice pool made up of the points assigned to the relevant trait and rolling that many D6). the example I use is my victory in the boxing match.

My character was never designed to be any good in a fight, hes a card sharp, he thinks, in games terms out of a possible 5 points he could have in brawn he has 1 point (and thats compulsory) and yet with one punch, several re-rolls for the sixes later he generated a damage attack of 92! bearing in mind that the average thug only has a body rating 20-30

Think on't mighty GM for thou standeth accountable!

:colgate

Accountable eh......    Sleepy

Maol has a point about the roll an six and reroll thingy.....

I'm toying with the idea of only allowing a six to be rerolled once, Ie, get a six, reroll, if you get another six then that's it - a six.  No more rolls on that dice..

But I dont think we've played it yet to see if pulling that rule will affect the game in other ways......  Mebee as we get into it the system 'requires' this kind of 1 in 6 chance of a fluke?

Dunno, whaddaaya you guys think?  Perhaps the last two sessions were just very very lucky for dice rolls.

I mean, calculate the odds of rolling all those sixes in succession?

In honesty I'm not yet sure myself.....

That happens in the Old Star Wars system as well.  I would ditch it if I were you - it does unbalance the game.  I know that heroes should be able to perform amazing feats - but sometimes it does get stupid.  Gotta draw the line somewhere!

Yin Yang

Quote from admin, posted on Nov. 14 2001,17:58

Hey Aeon..

you made Aeon Council level...

(((drum roll).....  does that mean you're 'important' know?

:P

Well, I have to keep up with Mal...

Can't have him being the most important board member now, can we?

Thumbs Up

but as for the dice thing it sort of worked and it would if our characters was harder but at the level we are we don't succeed as well as we can hope i.e mike as he only could role one dice last night there is no way he could have got 14 to pass. so admin said if you get a six and you role a six again then you get one more role and thats it.

Reporting back after the Noir game last night..

as Chambo said, we started off with disallowing the roll a six and keep rolling idea, but quickly changed that as it was a bit too extreme.

We ended up with you can only re-roll a six once and that has seemed to work so far.....  So if a character only has one dice then they can at least have a chance of getting upto 12......

The 'ideal' target number is 14, but modifiers can make that anywhere from 8 to the upper 40's, so a maximum of a 12 with a really useless dice pool seems fair...

Also, there is another trait called 'Moxie', that each character get at least 1 of on character creation.  Spend 1 moxie gets 1 extra dice on an action, which is 'replenished' at the beginning of the next session....

seems to fit nice and snug now :)

• 3 weeks later...

Chambo , What you need to do is first get all of your new business partners in a room together . Then have Mrs Baldasarre bake a VERY LARGE CAKE "I hear her two gunman special is very nice" then get it delivered by a couple of lovely Itaian girls fresh off the boat. No roll player can resist that one

Oh yeah ! and this is immportant DO NOT BE THERE !!!!!

It's not about being vocal , if a someone asks for advice tell him what you think . How he chooses to act on that advice is up to him . However the good thing about an RPG's like NOIR is that you can get away with leading poeple astray in the name of humour or to advance your own plans . As the name of the game would suggest its not all summer days and fluffy pillows , there are some bad bad boys about .

:Devil

• 3 weeks later...

Gentlemen, I myself prefer some of the comics that .50 cent bins are made of. Yeah, I get alot of hassle from the snotty comic fan boys but hey. I've found some interesting series.

Favorite Graphic Novels-

Batman the Dark Knight Returns

Elektra the Assasin.

Marvel Reprints 1939-1948.

Crisis on Infinite Earths

Ronin.

Wolverine & Havok.

Earth X

Kingdom Come.

Batman DigitaL justice

Things Found in the Bottom of my Comic Box

All of the Marvel U.K. Titles

Every First comic that ever appeared

Epic Magazine entire series.

Hangs his head in sham.....E.F. Fanboy. Such is the state of my collection...

Archived