Ravenshire

It sounds like a natural disaster on a massive scale ... just like the Third World.

Has anyone else heard a report that Divis Mal was responsible? Something about punishing the United States for is support of Project Utopia, or even more vague anti-nova activities.

California's always had some major earthquakes. I really don't think Divis Mal is the source, the San Andreas Fault is a much more likely cluprit. I was going to help but then I started hearing about all the arrests being made of the volunteers.

When they get that sorted out I'll go.

Just making a quick call out to the world from inside LA. I'm at the USC medical center and been working round the clock since this nightmare began. I hope everyone else is doing well. I'm also hoping a few of the members here might choose to help LA out during this crisis. Things are still pretty bad.

We are all pretty happy to have Opnet access again. I'll have more from inside later, I hope. Got to run.

Well I'm done for now (food and sleep call my name). I was at Universal Studios when it hit the fan. I moved cars, rubble, glowed real pretty, and am NOT going to get paid for any of this.

Jumping in to where the action is without a contract has it's limitations (*shrug*). I was thinking of this as a war but it looks like it's more equiv to a bar fight.

Even at this early stage of the game it looks like several things have already gone wrong in the response. Can anyone provide any insight as to why FEMA and Project Utopia had a jurisdictional crisis? Will anything be learned from this, and will it be the right something(s)?

Josh, you helped out were and when you were needed and that's something.

Aesira, learning is part desire, part circumstance, and part need. I somehow don't think that the right people will accept the proper lessons about this.

As for me, I'm going to be working for FEMA for the next month. I've volunteered to help coordinate supplies out at LAX. Its not galmourous, but is necessary.

Got a lucky break here and found someone with a restored OpNet connection. I'm happy to be alive. I'm needed all the time and no one askes my name or tries to take off my mask.

There is a TON of need here. Digging out bodies, clearing streets so that supplies can get through, and fighing those who think they should take their turn first because they are armed.

Its all very tyring, but I've managed for the past few days. Its been tough making those choices.

Not to go. More later.

Well, MisterE, there have been three other novas in my neck of the woods, but they (as in Project Utopia) are pulling me out soon. I will probably still be in the Southern California region, which is a good thing. California is my home.

Beyond my own personal experiences, I have heard of at least a dozen other novas helping out in the city, as well as three that have had more sinister agendas.

There is still a great need for volunteers in here, so please don't hesitate to offer your services to either the state, FEMA, Project Utopia, or the Red Cross.

Originally Posted By: Aesira
Even at this early stage of the game it looks like several things have already gone wrong in the response. Can anyone provide any insight as to why FEMA and Project Utopia had a jurisdictional crisis? Will anything be learned from this, and will it be the right something(s)?
There was a response? What was going on? More seriously, I had some direction from some FEMA types and occassionally saw another nova fly by, but mostly I only heard that Utopia was around.

Originally Posted By: Hero
There is a TON of need here. Digging out bodies, clearing streets so that supplies can get through, and fighing those who think they should take their turn first because they are armed.
Well, shoot. I wish I'd have run into armed types.

Originally Posted By: Hero
Its been tough making those choices.
It gets easier after a while. If it helps, just accept that the world isn't fair. For example I had to ditch my date when everything fell apart. I'm guessing I'm not going to be welcome back.

It has been hell just trying to get into California. In the Northern part of the state we felt the shaking, but thankfully there was only some minor damage.

We are seeing refuges from the south, flood to our parks, hotels, beaches and FEMA camps. It is crowded and many of the locals are getting irritated at he overcrowding. IF something isn't done to ease the numbers coming north, I fear that full scale riots may begin.

I am hearing that Mexico has shut its border to prevent refugees from coming south. Does anyone know if this is true?

From the police I've been able to talk to the border is 'Restricted' along the entire California side. Essentially, trade comes north (apparently San Diego and the Imperial Valley are still up and functioning), but refugees are being stopped at the border. On the plus side, Mexico has promised two battalions to help provide security and support in SD, freeing up more National Guard for LA.

I'm being asked to help with some demolition and land clearance work. The work is mostly in the upscale city center area and the pay is good. Up until now, all my work has been for the police and fire departments and for free. I know I'm still needed were I'm at and I don't know how to feel about the offers.

• 2 weeks later...

Internet access is still sporadic here. I have volunteered to help the red cross pass out care packages to refugees in Monterey. All the schools, stadiums, parks and beaches are filled with displaced 'Southerners. (the name they are referred to here) The population of Monterey had tripled and the stores are running low on foodstuffs. We are not a large city that can handle huge numbers of people. The same thing is happening to the small towns and cities all across central California.

Our hospitals are overwhelmed. Doctors have been forced to let their sickest, and most care intensive patients, die. The hospitals have no other option. One life to save many others. Things are getting desperate.

We need people from other areas of the US and abroad to send food, clothes and medicine. It is becoming like a third world nation over here. We are on the verge of famine in Monterey. The same goes for the smaller cities and towns in Central California.

I will provide updates when able.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry it has been awhile since posting. Things have been pretty hectic over here. The local authorities have had me hauling broken down vehicles from the roads leading south. I have also been providing some security for the main hospital here in Monterey. At least I was doing those things until FEMA showed up.

Now they want me to sign all kinds of paperwork which talks about liability. What am I a goddamn lawyer! Anyways, the feds are building refugee camps, which is good, I suppose, and they have brought in the National Guard to clear the roads. I have the feeling that they don't want me to help. Thankfully, the locals still have authority, and they do not want their resident nova to be cast aside.

Anyways, things are still tense, and we have had some food riots. I myself have had to turn off my powers to lesen my appetite. If we don't get more food, I may have to leave. I don't want others to starve to fed my nova=level appetite.

That's all for now...

I hear you, Longball. Food, amongst a whole list of other things, is in short supply in LA, too. Food has just about become a form of currency here. I do know that I appreciate it when I'm paid in food, or when people let me double up in a food line once never seems to cut it. All I can do is work here as hard as I can, keep my nose clean, and keep hoping things will get better.

Archived