Aberrant RPG - Character generator?

Asche

There are some designed for Storyteller system, but none are capable of handling the Aberrant CharGen system.

I've been hanging out for one for years, but the problem always comes down to the complexity of keeping track of two sets of multi-usable points. There's also the problem of Buying things Tainted. It's a lot to keep track of computer-wise

And here I am, still without sufficient programming skill to take on the task. Bugger. wink

[ 08-26-2002: Message edited by: Kirby1024 ]

• 6 months later...

I am currently working on one that is based in excel. It will hopefully be up and running like it should with in a couple of weeks. Yes the hard part is making the tainted calculations. But I believe I have figured it out. Keep your fingers crossed.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just wanted to give an update on the Excel character generator that I have been working on. I have all of the date from the main core book in and most of the data from the Player Guide. I have most of the formula calculation in. The problem that I have is dealing with the tainted buying. There are so many variables that after I have worked 2 hours on it my head starts spinning.

Also I am leaving for Korea next week and all of my reference material has been boxed up and shipped. I have been doing the work on my laptop and the desktop with all the info has been shipped. Please be patient. I WILL deliver.

Sweet. Something to do on downtime. We're in no hurry, take your time. I bet you'll do just fine. (Secret to be told here, I'm one step ahead of you. I made one myself. It's not perfect and is just basic mathematical functions only, but it works. But I'd bet yours would be much better. If you're doing programming in the spreadsheet you'd have me beat by miles.)

Flagg???

Boy that name sounds Familiar. I would bet that your just starving for some game time... be sure you let me know when you finish. I am currently working on on yet another game , try to get a small group together. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO FIND AN ABERRANT PLAYER IN ILLINOIS????? I want da crew back.... Any who, keep intouch Flagg, and let me know how your Char sheet is doing... BTW I reworked the Utopia Matrix sheet (the NOVA PHILES) I t seems a bit more exacting. Allowing for MR scale up to 15, and Utopia rating areas, a bit more reliant upon multpile areas instead of just one or two....

My vote would be for all.

It would also really be nice to have a slot for 'custom' powers of each level where the sheet would handle the math but you could type in your own power name.

It comes down to a matter of time then just do the second part I mentioned. Then we could manually enter the other powers if needed.

I've been laying out the algorithm and functions for an Aberrant character generator in my head. It'll accomodate all the main book's powers and the scripting for the data-sets should be easy enough that you can include your own skills, powers, enhancements, extras, etc. easily as long as you know the scripting language.

I'm mostly making it to keep my brain in top programming shape over the summer. It'll be Java based with a GUI and option to export to plain text - with MAYBE .pdf format down the line. It'll be open source under the GNU public license, too, so anyone who wants to take a crack at improving it would be welcome to do so.

More on this as I develop it.

Tried Java, can't grasp it, although I deffinatly think it would work well. Keep me posted if any of you come up with something. I agree witht he hardest thing is buying tainted powers. Although could be done, with an option with each Dot purchase, and with the Bonus point and Nova points would make it a bit more difficult. But like I said tried Java, just could not grasp it, hell I can barely spell algorithm, let alone write one in a program.....

Tainted is easy, depending on how you do it. My personal house rule is that you get 2 nova points for every dot of taint you pick up, which would be easy. Picking up tainted stuff the normal way - or after character creation - would be a bit more difficult, but not much if you've got the right algorithm.

Quote:
Originally posted by Flagg:
I would love to see what you have. How about posting it or e-mail it to me. TIA
I'll do my best with a server transition about to occur in the next couple of weeks over on my end. :P It's in Quattro right now. Hopefully your Microsoft Office can convert that badboy. It's written in my style of thinking, which means I might have to send a FAQ with it... Maybe. It might be understandible too... Who knows. I'll endeavor to send it when I can.

btw: A good character generator you can get inspiration and examples from: BESM & SAS Character Generator
I use it, and it uses a FREE programming language!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I havee been busy getting settled here in Korea. So I have put the generator on a back burner for now. In about a week I will be settled in and getting back to the old grind stone, if you will, to complete my generator. I hope to have ready soon.

Bad news on my spread sheet. When I transferred the data to my new computer, I lost the file due to a bad burn on the CD I had made to transfer data to. The other data disks I had didn't have the certain file. And since I had deleted and overwritten the old computer's harddrive... >.< You know the rest of the story. NEVER think your disk that you burn is safe. Make 2 Disks peeps. CDs are cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know, Flagg's computer crashed and he lost his generator, I had to send him a copy of what he sent me. He apologizes for the wait, but he will not be back online for a few days yet. I can say having privy to the generator, and how it "should work" seems very Promising. Anywho, thought I would just update ya... take care

Well Lets see...

Since it is excel, page one is spent for your baseline Attribute/ability/background allocation.

Page 2 you spend your bonus points

Page 3 You spend you nova points

Page 4 You you pick your tainted powers.

Page 5 is the output sheet, which I am working on.

(this is where my limit on excel is stretched)I would rather have the output sheet look like a standard character sheet, but I think it will Strength 4 instead of a Strenght ****O display

Over all it deffinatly looks like it will make the whole thing easier. With a little more work and some adobe plugins, and visual basic codes, I beleive it can be converted to a PDF output, but I am not that wise.

• 4 months later...

Just to add my review on the character generator...

It's good for what it can do. Other than a few quirky bugs, it does the job. Excellent work I might add.

It also has a small memory footprint, so it runs and calculates pretty darned fast.

If only I knew how to program in Excel, I'd make a BESM or Silver Age Sentinels generator...

Durrr... but there is one already... >.<

Archived