Aberrant RPG - Revising Chrysalis

Nyxx

I've been running a Teregen game off and on for a few years now and we have been using a fairly different system for Chrysalis. We cobbled it together with the idea that you should get special bennies for upholding your archetype and succeeding rather than trying to uphold your archetype and failing as the system had it.

So I'm trying to make this into a coherent system now, the following is what I have so far any suggestions on how to improve it would be welcome. also we came up with a couple of new archetypes any other suggestions would be welcome.

Revised Chrysalis

“Evolution? Please stop talking now. This is not evolution, this is metamorphosis. Novas are not Pokemon.” –The Apothecary

When a character succeeds when “maxing” their Quantum abilities for actions in line with their archetype they may roll Quantum + Meditation at +1 difficulty to convert temporary Taint into temporary Chrysalis. Each point of temporary Taint thus converted costs 5 Quantum points.

If the nova has no temporary Taint available, they may make the roll at +2 difficulty to “break up” a permanent point of Taint into ten temporary points that may then be converted in Chrysalis as normal, depending on the successes garnered.

Note that converting Taint in this manner does not reduce any Social penalties that may have accumulated, nor does it eliminate or change any Taint based aberrations.

Chrysalis carries the same social penalties and aberration thresholds as Taint, with the proviso that the player chooses the aberrations rather than the Storyteller.

To enter the Chrysalis, a character must have a minimum of 5 points of permanent Chrysalis and expose themselves to a stressful situation in line with their archetype as normal. They then Spend 10 Quantum points and roll Quantum + Meditation at +2 difficulty to enter the Chrysalis.

After entering Chrysalis, the character loses all temporary and permanent Chrysalis they have, trading them in for experience points. Each level of permanent Chrysalis is worth 4 experience points and each level of temporary Chrysalis is worth 1 experience point.

Experience spending while in Chrysalis:

Alter Mental Aberration (5 exp)

As Teragen rulebook.

Alter Physical Aberration (5 exp)

For 5 exp the Terat may alter one of his/her physical aberrations to a different one of the same level, or may “trade down” or “trade up” Turning one high-level aberration into two medium-level or four low-level or vice versa. The character may not change a physical Aberration that he has bought a Body Modification to match or enhance.

Body Modifications and Mega Attribute enhancements (1/2 or 2 exp)

The character may buy Mega Attribute enhancements that directly play off of an aberration that they have for 2 exp or buy body modifications that work with and make use of their aberrations for ½ the normal cost, rounded down.

Increase Quantum Control

As the Teragen book

(Note that background enhancements for Node or Attunement are possible)

Expand Appropriate Powers and Mega Attributes

As the Teragen book

Other Notes for Chrysalis

Every experience point expended in Chrysalis increases the amount of time that the Terat spends in Chrysalis. The table below shows the relationship between which stage of Chrysalis the character is in and how long the hibernation lasts, assuming that the roll to enter Chrysalis is not botched and no other factors are present.

2nd Stage (First Chrysalis) - 1 day per experience point spent

3rd Stage (Second Chrysalis) - 3 days per experience point spent

4th Stage (third Chrysalis) - 1 week per experience point spent

5th Stage + (fourth and later Chrysalis) - 3 weeks per experience point spent

New Archetypes

Recusant:

No one controls your destiny or your choices. No man, no god, no law, no Nova will dictate anything to you against your will. You keep your own counsel and will do as your own conscience and sense of self dictate, regardless of the world’s reaction, or anyone who stands against you. You will survive. You will endure. You will triumph.

Magister:

You are a mentor, an advisor, an educator and wise man. By guiding others through their lives and along their own paths you gain enlightenment of your own.

A follower of the Magister archetype acts as an educator and mentor to other Terats or even to baseline followers, the principle being that you can learn by teaching.

If the nova has no temporary Taint available, they may make the roll at +2 difficulty to “break up” a permanent point of Taint into ten temporary points that may then be converted in Chrysalis as normal, depending on the successes garnered.

You just eliminated any need for me to follow my arch-type. There's also the issue of buying things tainted (like Quantum) and then using this mechanic to gain Chrysalis.

Note that converting Taint in this manner does not reduce any Social penalties that may have accumulated, nor does it eliminate or change any Taint based aberrations.

True... but since I don't get either until after taint 3 we've pretty much effectively eliminated both of those anyway.

Now mind you, I like the *favor* of these changes. As currently written most or all Terats should fry from Taint... and then they go under and the only thing they should spend exp on is reducing taint. So you're making Terats work at least somewhat more like most people think they should.

However mechanically this would be very subject to abuse. I'd suggest putting it into the ST's hands as an option or something like that.

I agree, being able to bust permanent taint is potentially very problematic. I'm also not sure about including quantum point expenditures as part of it, either, given you'll typically be spending plenty *anyway*.

That said, I like the new archetypes. I can imagine a bunch of others along these lines, albeit most would likely not quite fit with Teras.

Here's an idea: disconnect gaining chrysalis from gaining taint. The key is the "taking actions in line with one's archetype". If in the course of a scene, you take action in line with your archetype, then you get a Quantum + Meditation roll at the end. Difficulty is set based on various things, with stuff like "extremely appropriate to character", "significant usage of quantum powers", "great risk", and "extraordinary success" reducing it. Successes result in points of temp chrysalis.

You just eliminated any need for me to follow my arch-type. There's also the issue of buying things tainted (like Quantum) and then using this mechanic to gain Chrysalis.

Yeah, but on the other hand, how do you otherwise find the Taint to convert to Chrysalis? Part of the idea of Teras is to take command of Taint and direct it to your own ends.

This was a blind spot for me because most of my players only worry about buying stuff tainted at character creation and in my Teragen game, between Node Spark and power maxing, Taint was never hard to come by. ::biggrin

Also, how does this invalidate archetype? You can only make Chrysalis rolls when succeeding at a power max supporting your archetype.

True... but since I don't get either until after taint 3 we've pretty much effectively eliminated both of those anyway.

Yeah, but that's just the Terats like Orzaiz, who start out with no Taint. Poor bastards like Sloppy Joe still have a long road to hoe.

That part dosen't concern me as much due to the fact that the roll to convert Taint is not a guaranteed success and any roll can be botched if you have a bad day.

Maybe have a consequence for a botch or fail on the roll to convert? Especially to "break" a permenant point?

(I actually caused some tears when 'ol Sloppy Joe emerged from Chrysalis having taken control of his physical destiny and looking with gratitude at the PC's, he had become an armor-plated, acid spewing berserker, but he had a face again!)

Now mind you, I like the *flavor* of these changes. As currently written most or all Terats should fry from Taint... and then they go under and the only thing they should spend exp on is reducing taint. So you're making Terats work at least somewhat more like most people think they should.

However mechanically this would be very subject to abuse. I'd suggest putting it into the ST's hands as an option or something like that.

I agree about abuse potential, however it just rubs me the wrong way to reward failure.

I agree, being able to bust permanent taint is potentially very problematic. I'm also not sure about including quantum point expenditures as part of it, either, given you'll typically be spending plenty *anyway*.

That said, I like the new archetypes. I can imagine a bunch of others along these lines, albeit most would likely not quite fit with Teras.

Here's an idea: disconnect gaining chrysalis from gaining taint. The key is the "taking actions in line with one's archetype". If in the course of a scene, you take action in line with your archetype, then you get a Quantum + Meditation roll at the end. Difficulty is set based on various things, with stuff like "extremely appropriate to character", "significant usage of quantum powers", "great risk", and "extraordinary success" reducing it. Successes result in points of temp chrysalis.

The main problem with doing it that way is that Teras is supposed to be a way to put a leash on Taint and direct the course of a nova's transformations. It is touted as a way to control Taint without controlling aberrations, but the current iteration of it really just gives more Taint and aberrations as well as a nifty way to spend exp.

If you're going to control Taint, then by god you need a way to control Taint. I'm not sure that it's such a big problem being able to bust permenant points of Taint. There is no way to get Mega-Dice for the roll and if it costs a point of willpower to make the roll then you wouldn't be able to spend for extra successes, right?

Maybe a Willpower cost would be the way to go...

How about this: when entering Chrysalis all temp taint is eliminated automatically and perm costs 5 exp per dot to eliminate. I don't want to make it prohibitively expensive to eliminate/control Taint.

Also, under the "no Taint conversion" system I would make it possible, if you already have at least one point of perm Chrysalis, to sacrifice a dot of Willpower when gaining a Taint-based aberration in play to dictate what the aberration will be.

Also, by the rules I posted it is entirely possible to have 4 perm Taint, break one dot, only convert 1 temp to Chrysalis and then quickly get back up to 4 perm and gain a new aberration and point of social difficulty!

Also, any alternate archetypes of any sort are welcome! "Fitting with Teras" is not needed, I can find a way to make it work. After all, Teras is supposed to be about self expression and transhuman metamorphosis, not sticking to established orthodoxy.

The main problem with doing it that way is that Teras is supposed to be a way to put a leash on Taint and direct the course of a nova's transformations.
That's the sale's pitch...
It is touted as a way to control Taint without controlling aberrations, but the current iteration of it really just gives more Taint and aberrations as well as a nifty way to spend exp.
Yes and no. First it does give you another 10 points that you can stuff taint in. I.e. by turning taint into Chrysalis you can in theory rack up 78 points of temp taint before getting any aberrations (twice 3 perm, 9 points of temp).

This is a *good* thing... and it's not rewarding failure, it's covering your ass when you screw up.

The problem is the Teragen takes this mechanic and boldly proclaims you should use it as often as possible. In order for the numbers to make sense a devoted terat maxes his powers ONCE A DAY (long term that's your limit considering willpower recovery limits).

Thus they're taking a great mechanic and applying it as something to build their lives around. Modern drugs are a good thing, but do much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Archived