Computer Stuff - The Wireless Chronicles

phoenix

Tomorrow my mom's going shopping for a wireless router so we can set up a network in our home. I'm supposed to get some specifics on our cable modem and computer.

Any suggestions on what to take note of, apart from the obvious?

Any advice on anything at all before we buy a router and start setting it all up?

::neo - a blatant appeal to the Patron Saint of Making Computers Your Bitch ::biggrin

Any advice on anything at all before we buy a router and start setting it all up?
Yes. Don't get a wireless. ::biggrin

Seriously, make sure that you place the router and the computers going to be using it in places where electromagnetic interference won't drop your connectivity. My friends have one in their apartment, and the fuse box is in between one computer and the router, so that computer has around 50% connectivity, while the other computer in the other bedroom is around 95%.

Make sure you have top-notch security and set a password to allow people to log-in to the network, so that random people can't leech off your network, but you can let your friends log into it with their laptops.

I'm sure you've gotten the wireless router by now, but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I know it can be very confusing initially.

I've done setup on my own at home twice now, so I'm fairly competent at it.

If you haven't purchased yet, I suggest a Belkin...stay away from the no-name brands.

Archived