Aberrant RPG - Mastery extra

Are weaknesses the only way to get this extra to eliminate quantum cost? I don't think "weakened" mastery makes much sense. But to my understanding, say I bought Bioluminescence with the mastery extra. I can use level 1 powers with no quantum cost. Unfortunately, it's now a level 2 power. Buy mastery level 2, same thing. Anything I'm missing?

Yes. The wording makes it a little vague, but I've always considered to to be "Level 1 power before the Mastery Extra is applied." Otherwise, it makes no sense (It's kinda like the Reduced Quantum Cost Extra. It makes no sense if you think of it as "Level Now" instead of "Level Before"

Im really glad this issue was brought up.

Ok, it s now well established that the QP cost is reduced as of the power rank before purchasing the mastery extra, but take a look at Mastery 3. It states that you "halve the cost of level 4 and 5 powers, rounding down". To me, this sounds like one may add Mastery 3 to level 4-6(?) powers. My God, the possibilities. Am I crazy?

Well, considering that at Q10, you are essentially God Almighty, I think it does make sense. However, I would urge caution to any Storyteller in a position to give someone that amount of power (to be blunt, I'd urge caution to any storyteller in a position to allow a Nova past Q5, but that's just me)

• 2 months later...

Well, I'd note that the original book stated that Level 3 powers could not have extras added. We now see that that's bupkis.

However, we are failing to see the more important question here: Why the hell would you want to put an extra on a Level 6 power? Most of them have area effects measured in 1000s of kilometers cubed, range up the wazoo, and did I mention that those powers are effectively godlike? If you're not satisfied with the power of Level 6 powers, something is seriously wrong with you...

Perhaps what they were trying to say is that adding previous levels of mastery raised the effective levels of the powers, so to put Mastery three on a power would imply that you already put mastery one and two on it. If that is the case, you could only put Mastery 3 on level 3 powers.

Just a thought.

Well, Kirby, the original book also limited quantum to five. Which gave the company tons of material to pack into the APG and to get down and dirty on the question of god-like power.

Jager, you're losing me on this one. I'm feeling a bit thick today but I don't quite get what you're saying...

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, it is possible for a power to have the Mastery extra and be level 1 at the same time.

If you take 5 points of weakness in a power (as described in the Aberrant Player's Guide), the power becomes considered one level lower.

Hence, it is possible to take a level 1 power, tack on 5 points of weakness, and add on the Mastery extra to have a power with a total of level 1.

Otherwise, I would say that a level 1 power without any weaknesses and with the Mastery Extra would be level 2.

Each level of Mastery raises the over-all level of the power by 1. Since you have to by the mastery levels in succession (p.119, third and fourth paragraphs). Furthermore, there are no rules for buying anything above level six, so:

3(lvl power)+1(Mastery 1)+1(Mastery 2)+1(Mastery 3)=6

Personally, I am still confused by the wording under Mastery 3 (Quantum Cost) concering placing that mastery level on Lvl 4 and 5 powers. I guess it could be done with weaknesses.

this has nothing to do with what was said, but here's a fun thing all my players have been doing with Q6 characters: throw a reduced cost extra down and then mastery. on a level three power this drops the cost to zero.

temporal manip gets really nasty with this, no cost time stop that lasts an entire scene.

fun.

Archived