[OpNet] Nova Legislation

Asche

Baseline societies have a great deal of difficulty understanding us. That is pretty much a given. As I said, I accept certain limitations to live with them.

What has been overlooked to a small degree is that most novas don't understand each other, either.

That is what my little pluck about freedom was about.

It is within the realm of my possibilities to run around unclaimed parts of Antartica and live of sealife and penguins. I can and have built igloos. I really don't need shelter or food, but these are things that I like, so I imbibe.

I could find some iceberg and climb on board. I could contemplate my navel while it slowly melted ... no matter how long it took. I may come to regret not doing it, but thems the breaks.

It is a mistake to think that all novas, for that matter, a majority of novas, can relate to one another. I believe we take Individuality to a whole new level.

As for the future; don't forget to live in the here and now as well as the near future. Do any of us really know were evolution will take us?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
I get to go around and tweek things toward my desired goals. I help people out and try to make the world a slightly better place.

I do so quietly so that the world governments can ignore me. They don't have to face up to the difficulty of hunting me down or trying to stop me. They don't have to face the difficulty of stopping ANY nova who puts their mind to something that works outside their world views. I am happy and their fears stay in check.

And these are all good things. I understand what you are saying, but most of us can not fade into the woodwork. Even more to the point, try to imagine all of novadom trying.

Governments can put pressure on other governments. The collapse of South Africa's appartite system of governance is a good example. I think that a government of/by/for Novas would be a good thing. Specifically, I think that the Teragen should try to put their ideals into reality. If they failed it would take the wind out of their sails. If they succeed, it would give the novas who want to seperate a place to go and it would give their movement an alternative to terrorism. It would also evolve them from outsiders.

Mr. Smith your idea of a nation by novas, for novas is a nice idea but I worry that there may be a flaw in it. In baseline society poeple must rely upon each other and cannot survive on their own. As Jager has pointed out, some novas can.

With the bulk of basleine society around us mos novas are somewhat cushioned from conflict with each other. If novas existed all as one nation there would be more opportunity for them to rub each other up the wrong way. How do you make laws to protect against an individual causing harm when there is now real way short of death to restrain them.

I don't want to suggest this would _necessarily_ be a problem. A more enlightened way of life might well prevail. However, lumping all these super-powered egos together into one group could be just the thing to touch off a catastrophic powderkeg.

As far as the matter of finding a path for an independant nation to solve our current problems, I assure I speak with a personal interest. I hope that we can find some kind of consensus or solution here. That is why I am so cautious, even critical. I hope I do not come across as overly negative or personally offensive. After all, these are only my personal opinions.

Were ever we might end up, we are not there yet. For good or ill, we are still thinking like our baseline counterparts. We are not some alien beings.

Some novas can move through the system, unnoticed, but most of us cannot or do not want to. Is a nova nation really a necessaty? Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Liam VanGilder:
Mr. Smith your idea of a nation by novas, for novas is a nice idea but I worry that there may be a flaw in it...

The real flaw is that it is something I think someone else should do. Doing something like this would take resources, vision, chrisma, and some good insights into the working of nova-kind. I have all but four of these things.

It is like advise that the world could end all warfare if only (everyone else) would follow some ideal. A truly great plan/idea would be one that I could put into motion.

(Shrug). But then I never claimed to have a way of life that will be the salvation of mankind. But I would still like to see some of those who do claim that insight to try it.