Hey fellow geeks!

ezekiel

Ok, here's the deal.

I've got a cable connection since last week with people I can barely communicate with. Its a direct connection, no password, sooooooo...they have an ISP firewall.

Now here's the catch, the firewall blocks my direct file-transfers (like MSN file transfers or, more importantly for me, my trying to upload pictures to a website like www.dotphoto.com) I think that means that my ISP blocks webports 20+21 'cause I can watch streaming video perfectly (super-fast connection) and download files from websites (like windows updates and shareware) fast as well.

So here's the question, is there any way for me to fool my ISP into thinking a file transfer (usually ports 20+21, right?) are done through the HTTP port (port 80) or, failing that, some other port? Some proxy server of some kind maybe?

Apprentice geek at work, I need some help from Bigger Kahunas...

I dont know... you dont have very high command over your ethernet card in xp IMHO...

Nice try...I still won't convert to Linux. ::tongue ::wink With Regedit I can modify ports used for some applications (like for MSN)but I need to know what to edit if I go that way.

example, see this link

I think with some kind of HTTP tunneler I might be able to go somewhere...but I still need to read Prince's link (thanks by the way.) On the bright side I just got a message from hotmail saying they're updating their accounts. Giving 250MB inboxes and allowing 10MB attachments to emails...free! I hope this isn't an evil spam though I don't think so. It'd explain the very slow hotmail these past few days. Anyway, with 10MB attachments I could send pictures to my brother and he could put them on the site for me. (I take 5MP photos so my pictures are between 1 and 3MB each)

I don't need much more than that, my computer is too crappy too complain about not being able to download and upload actively. I only have...4.5GB (Yes! Four POINT five!) of space in all and I have to pump a pedal to start the computer.

ok, that was a lie but I really do have only 4.5GB in all. I desperately need to start uploading pics away from my comp! ::tongue

*sigh*

It's still a trusty laptop on which Office XP works fine and which took me through university...I guess...

piece of junk...

The hotmail increase is in response to G-Mail.

I think it would be brilliant if Google came back with - 'GMAIL was a hoax. We just wanted Microsoft to spend loads of cash on Hard disks so we wouldn't have to keep deleting our messages.' ::biggrin ::biggrin ::biggrin

Archived