[OpNet] A place to rest

Good day to everyone. This is a little bit of advertising so if you don't like it please go to another place.

First I am sorry for the language in this post. English is not my native language but I know a good amount. A short time after my eruption I found that I had no time to myself. Like all Novas I was followed by the press and public. I am a private person and this was hard for me.

I thought I would like a place to be alone with my friends. Because I can exist under the sea I decided to build a small home in the shallow waters at the edge of the Pacific ocean.

I received many visitors, friends who enjoyed the quiet in my home and the beauty of the surroundings. One of my friends said as a joke that I should charge and I thought about this. I have made a few new rooms to my home and I would like to invite any Nova who likes good company and peaceful surroundings to visit me. I do not care to know of what politics you belong to unless you want to explain it to me. I would just like to have good company and some help with working.

I ask for in return that the visitor spends one day in three helping me with my work. I am an engineer and I wish to design vessels and habitats for living and working under the sea. Please contact me if you wish to join me. You do not need to be able to exist underwater because my home has air inside.

Interesting offer Jade. I myself favour isolation from the media and others when possible. Perhaps I could show you my own retreat sometime? Its a cosy little world not too far from Earth with a warm, moist climate.

Unfortunate that the sun is unstable, it will most likely collapse in the next few thousand years or so. Then again by that time it will probibly be a resort world with a billion baselines living on it.

Exactly where is your retreat located Jade?

Jade, thank you for the invitation. It is appreciated however I have a few retreats of my own. But, you need some designs for underwater craft? I have a few lying around, in addition to a nice design for external gills that I haven't gotten around to building. Would you be interested in any of these? If you want proof of my work just ask Jager. I am pretty sure he must of swiped something from my home when he was last there. I would be disapointed in him if he hadn't

Now James, that's not fair. While you didn't actually say, "Borrow my stuff until you've finished with it", that was 'obviously' your intention. You make it sound like I'm a kleptomaniac or something. I don't steal any of your stuff until it hits the market- (or black market-)places. I don't steal from friends, especially in their own homes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Now James, that's not fair. While you didn't actually say, "Borrow my stuff until you've finished with it", that was 'obviously' your intention. You make it sound like I'm a kleptomaniac or something. I don't steal any of your stuff until it hits the market- (or black market-)places. I don't steal from friends, especially in their own homes.

No, I don't think you're a kleptomaniac. I was simply kidding. As I said, I fully expected a Nova of your experience and cunning to take full advantage of any situation. If I didn't have that kind of respect for you I wouldn't have invited you into my abode. I hope the toys are working out for you just fine by the way. I am almost positive they shouldn't blow up on you.

Hello. Jager, my home is not too deep, I like to see the sun so I keep it shallow. My home is pressurised and has air so you do not need to worry about that. It is a medium sized teathered habitat on the pacific rim near Japaneese waters. I do not wish to give the exact location as the area would fill with reporters in scuba gear I am sure.

Mr Meehan, I would love to sit and comparing notes with you. You seem to know a lot about underwater technology. Perhaps you can visit too sometime?

Hello Tuesday, can you get to Nagoya, on the Honshu Island of Japan? This is the place I usually use for picking up my friends. I have a small submersible, and the trip is only about 2 hours. If you can contact me a few hours before you get there I can be waiting for you.

Mr Ranger, I would love to see your retreat. Does it take long to get to it? I do not like leaving my home without guarding for a long time.

I'll be in Narita by Friday morning on the international flight. I'm not certain how long it will take me to get to Nagoya but ground traffic looks heavy and the trains are going to take a couple of hours at least. It might be easier for both of us if I take a boat from Yokohama and meet you. If this is acceptable, I'll need coordinates.

Is there anything I can bring from the U.S.? Otherwise, I'll be arriving with the basic essentials and my tools.

------------------

Tuesday Childe

having far to go...

I would love to come. Although, I'll likely not be able to come until the weekend (teaching demands and all that), however, I'd like a couple of days to relax. Just tell me where I can find suitable transport, and I'll be there.

Oh, is it OK if Alex comes along? If you want me to help you with anything, I'm almost certainly going to need him!

Jade, not to seem *too* arrogant, but honestly, I am an expert on everything. Now, submersibles are not my specialty, but I have dabbled in the field. If you are not adverse to company I would be more than happy to stop by some time.

Sorry to seem paranoid, but I believe I will wait to see if Jager gives me the thumbs up. I trust his nose for security and I have enough people who wouldn't mind seeing me deceased. Especially from your neck of the woods.

Tuesday, glad to hear from you. Yes Yokahama is fine. If you want we can meet there and wait for Professor Holland? Yokohama is a beautiful city in parts although I will have to cover up a small amount. Professor, if you wish you can meet us on Saturday morning in Yokahama at my submersible. Just ask the Harbourmaster where it is and he will direct you.

Mr Meehan, I understand what you mean. I have found that the waters here are very quiet underwater though surface traffic is very large. Maybe Jager would care to join us on friday or Saturday to make sure everything is OK?

Thank you for the consideration, Jade. I'll be happy to meet with Alex and the Professor in Yokohama. If you like, our boat could meet your submarine at a mid-way point and save you some of the trip and the effort at covering up. I just need rendezvous lattitude and longitude coordinates for giving the boat it's directions.

Or we can just wait in Yokohama and meet you when you arrive. I am so looking forward to seeing your work, especially in a setting like what you describe. I've got a couple of ideas for submersible tech I've been very excited to try if you're game.

------------------

Tuesday Childe

having far to go...

Tuesday, yes, I would love to hear your ideas. I think that new ideas are very important in engineering otherwise it is too easy to get trapped into a certain way of thought. Also if you wish to meet me half way that is good also, can you pick up Professor Holland and Alex on the way? I will transmit coordinates to you now.

Jade, very nice. I compliment whoever does your animal security. Whoever planned out your aqua-botany is a brilliant and effective SOB as I have ever seen.

I don't think I tripped off any alarms, but then I didn't get inside, either.

Jade, your Opnet security needs a little work, but all your essential systems are independent and shielded, so no big problem there.

Your only 'hole' seems to be a lack of overwhelming, raw fire power, but I imagine if you're going to have a weakness, it aught to be there. That, and the fact that it isn't 'secret'.

Definitely an A-/B+ operation.

1. Okay, it can't stop a dedicated T2M strike force or a thermonuclear assault. Some people are a tad too paranoid.

2. It isn't hidden from orbit, or from paranormal scans. It's a science station/resort, not the Isle of Dr. Moreau. You can find records of it with the Nippon Government and with the UN Oceanographic Survey.

3. It seems to enjoy excellent relations with the closest government (so help is only a few minutes away) and has no hate groups chomping at the bit to dust it.

Jade, I heard from a friend of a friend that GreenWar may be snooping around in a few days to make sure that you aren't 'raping the environment'. I didn't find anything that would tick them off, so nothing should come of it. Just notify your security to step things up an notch or two.

Yeah, Friday looks good for me. I would be nice to actually see the inside of your little abode. It always feels so weird to actually walk through the 'front door'.

I am glad that you approve Jager. The dolphins send their love - they like you I think, I have a friend who asked them to keep an eye out for me, I would love to be able to speak to them myself but I do not have the ability. I can't take credit for the Flora I am afriad, when I moved the habitat here it was already in place, it is just a tiny miracle of life.

On the point of "firepower" under the terms of the agreement we have with the Japaneese government I am not allowed to have any weapons installed on the habitat. Since this is my home and not a fortress I think that is fine. Besides there are a lot of defences that are not weapons smile.gif

The habitat - as you saw - is a large sphere teathered to the ocean floor with a heavy cable/root, it can be moved (very slowly) which is an advantage and the area for about five miles in all directions is filled with sensors so I should know about any attack force very quickly.

Who are GreenWar? I do not think I have heard of them. The habitat was built to be in tune with my environment as possible so I think I am ok. Are they violent?

Do you want to meet us at the habitat Jager - since you know where it is? I will "leave the key under the mat".

Gentle Person, I shall meet you there.

GreenWar are a group of "Environmentally Concious" novas and baselines who partake in acts of terrorism against those they feel are raping the 'living earth'.

Perhaps they mean well, but there methods involve murder, torture, and extreme amounts of violence against those they see as the enemy. Not a nice bunch of people.

I really think that someone has 'lent' you some biological defense. I will see if I can talk to the dolphins about it.

<FONT FACE="Arial, Helvetica"><font size="-1">Jade, I beg your indulgence... I'm not normally this rude but something's come up and I won't be able to attend this weekend. My sincerest apologies for cancelling at the last minute. I can only hope this doesn't cause you any hardship. I was so looking forward to meeting with you and discussing some thoughts on a submersible propulsion systems. Please accept my heartfelt apologies.

Professor Holland; I regret I won't be able to meet you and your assistant, or share the boat trip across the wan. The arangements are already made for the boat, the Bai Bing, and the programmed GPS is being delivered to the boat in a few hours. The master (mistress?)of the Bai Bing speaks at least a few words in every language I've ever tried with her and can be trusted to get you to the rendezvous safely.

Again, my apologies to all.

Regretfully,

------------------

Tuesday Childe

having far to go...

Is everything OK with you Tuesday? There is no trouble caused, please consider it an open invitation when you have the time.

I look forward to meeting you Jager. You can speak to the Dolphins? It must be wonderful; they are such affectionate, loving beings. These Green War people sounds a little dangerous, do you know if they are at home in the water?

Hmm, She actually has an OpNet security system? Impressive. Most people just use a standard 512-bit encryption to keep hackers away. If it's a little off, maybe I can help. I happen to know that my Research database is nigh-unbreakable to baseline hackers (No nova has yet decided it's worth their interest, so I can't check whether it's Nova-tight).

Jade, there are some folks in GreenWar that are very "at home" in the water, and then there are the shapeshifters in their ranks. Seriously, I think your way to environmentally concious to tick them if, but it would have been remiss of me not to pass on the warning.

Alex, Jade's folks do R&D. Of course they have some net security. Yours isn't bad, either, but watch that connectivity.

Yes, I can talk to dolphins. It's a long story, but I can talk with porposi and orcas as well. I love languages.

What an amazing weekend. Sydney, Alex, Jager, thank you all so much for comming. I hope you all enjoyed your stay as much as I enjoyed showing you my home. Now if only I could figure out the security Jager and Alex added to my Op-net connection I might be able to check my e-mail... smile.gif

Sydney, I am sorry I was not more prepared for your "special" condition. If you can send me the designs for your living area interaction devices I can try to set them up for your next visit.

Alex, I have started building a model of that design you sketched for me. I can see the military hating you for the "polymorphic pseudo hull" idea you had. I hate you too *smile* : it is really hard to create that many tiny moving parts on the outside of a model submarine hull. I think I have found a way to make it move that will allow it to remain hidden too.

Jager, the Dolphins miss you, they keep swimming to the window of your room and looking for you. It is so cute. Thank you for talking to those Green War people also. I do not think they were expecting that many Novas all together. Do you think they will take my invitation seriously?

Jade, thanks for the invite. Since Alex handled the actual Opnet interface, I will lay the locked e-mail problem at his capable feat.

I will stop by to see the pod when I can, but present commitments keep me moving around.

If they said they would come and talk, they will. Deception isn't their style. Do remember that they are wanted in Nippon for Murder and Terrosim charges, so they will be "cautious".

Again, thank you. It's been some time since I was able to squeeze more than a few good hours together to make a whole day, much less a weekend. Later.

Jade, the applause for your domicile that I have seen here are quite convincing. If you wouldn't mind I have a little free time and would love to pop by (literally).

A good guest should always bring a gift, and you are overdue for a housewarming present. So, what sounds better; The biouluminescent fish I developed or some nice security enhancements? Jager has a better feel for detection (damn experience!) however, my reactions tend to be a bit more, well...effective at discouraging repeat violations. Just let me know, I'll bring some wine too.

Oh, about GreenWar. I don't have much direct experience with them but what I've heard about town is that they are extremely idealistic in addition to being radicals. So, don't depend on logic too much. Your intentions and ideals will serve you better in this case.

See you soon.

James,

Please come around anytime you wish. I would love to see these biouluminescent fish of yours. I would worry about the saftey of bright shining fish with the Dolphins around, I hope for their sake that they taste bad smile.gif Wine would be very welcome also, bring your favourite, it is nice to see what other people like in a wine.

Jager,

Thank you for the informations, I look forward to seeing you again. I managed to figure out my connection eventually so no need to bother poor Alex. A man called Corbeau called looking for you this morning, I told him you where visiting relatives in Sweeden. He did not look happy. I think he was a Nova. Was he your friend? I did not want to get you in trouble.

Thank Jade, although the hull design wasn't my design, I, err, procured it from a fellow OpHopper (who I'm certain procured it from someone else, she may be nova, but she's no James) I can give you her details if you like, I know he has more of that sort of thing (she loves raiding Novelty Consulting's databases). Oh, and sorry about the e-mail. I just moved the program icon into the hotlist (forgot that not everybody uses that to launch their programs wink.gif). I also sent you the blueprints for the lightscreens and optic mike we use for interfacing, although we could just bring our own next time, it'd probably be a little easier.

[This message has been edited by Alex McKenzie (edited 09-27-2001).]

Hello, Jade. My apologies again for missing the get together. It certainly sounds like fun was had by all.

Now, as far the polymorphic pseudo hull design... Let's just say those hacks at NC never knew what they had gotten their hands on. This actually fits nicely with the discussion I wanted to have with you concerning submersible propulsion systems.

When Novelty Consulting stole the designs, they had a partial blueprint without a key to interpert the technologies involved. You'll notice the hull material design calls for a high concentration of embedded pyrite nodules and yet there is no reason given. In fact, when you do the math you'll quickly realize that this actually detracts both from the hydrodynamics by increasing surface coefficients (the hull takes on a coral-like appearance) as well as weakening the overall flux strength of the hull under extreme pressures. Their notes says this is the trade-off for a dynamically shapeable hull. This is incorrect on both points.

Note that their interior equipment layout looks extremely awkward. They were trying to reverse engineer a design from a patial blueprint and a performance report they couldn't duplicate therefore assumed that quantum powers were involved. The opposite is the truth. Remove all the propulsion equipment they included in the interior designs as well as the rigid hardpoints on the pseudo hull exterior and you have something closer to the original design.

Substitute a hydrogen catalytic power system for the propulsion system those hack tried to install and add a magnetron assembly wired directly into morphic hull. With power applied the inner layer of the hull jumps from solid to plasma which increase the flexibility of the hull. The magnetic resonance allows shaping of hull as Novelty deduced but they missed the propulsion aspect. The magnetic field originates and streams from the fore of the hull and was designed to utilized the para-magnatic properties of water. It creates a field of low pressure to the fore of the submersible while the pressure aft of the hull forces the vessel into the low pressure area. Rather like shooting a watermelon seed from between your fingers by squeezing it.

Because the pyrites in the hull also serve as a guide to the magnetic lines of force, they are warped around the cockpit area keeping the pilots from cooking alive. A nice safety feature I thought. The thing to remember is that the vessel was intended for high speed operation as great depths. As you can tell from the math, at greater depths with the corresponding increase in pressure, the greater the speeds. Technically, the hull at full resonance output and speed can survive a dive from surface to six miles in two minute without hull breach. The hull is actually weaker at slower speeds because of the decrease in the magnetic resonance you appy to keep it at a lower speed. There is a problem of the ionization at full output which leads to superheating the water which contacts the hull but that shouldn't be a problem provided you keep it under 80 knots.

There was an idea make use of the flex hull to achieve low speeds by using the same motion as a mantaray but that was never tried. Novelty couldn't do it because they had butchered the power systems and couldn't initiate the inner hull plasma reaction with the crude power levels they were using. As far as requiring nova powers... I first saw this design tested before Utopia announced the opening of the original Rashoud Facilities.

------------------

Tuesday Childe

having far to go...

A thouroughly enjoyable treatment of underwater propulsion Miss Childe. It is so nice to see yet another of my brethren so conversant in the physical sciences.

Jade, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Atwight and I am a scientist and engineer. Your underwater abode sounds like a delightful retreat from the whirlwind of the surface world and I would dearly like to visit you sometime in the near future. I too have designed and built an enclosed biosphere, and would enjoy discussing design ideas with you. If you are unsure about me, I believe both Jager and Mr. Meehan can vouch for me. I look forward to visiting your home.

Jade, has Corbeau left yet? To say that this individual is not my friend is putting it mildly. I was involved in an operation a year ago that got a very close friend of his killed. I had heard that he was looking into the matter, but I wasn't sure he would come looking for me. Since I don't discuss the specifics of what I do, I don't think he is going to like what I have to say. Thanks for the 'heads-up'.

Tueday, you made that Hull design? Wow. Goes to show exactly how little on the Opnet these days is original.

Just looking through your explanation, that does tend to explain a few niggles there. Even with my limited engineering expertise, I knew something was weird with the design. I chalked it up to "work in progress", but obviously, well, you know...

Hey, Jager, got to ask you, exactly how dangerous is this Corbeau guy? I found an e-mail from him in my inbox today, and he sounds very serious. I tried playing dumb, but my gut's telling me he didn't believe it.

I'm just wondering if I need to take a trip to Jade's place again, and how long I should pack for...

Alex,

Thanks but to tell the truth; I was only only one of three engineers working on the project. I did the theoretical designs and the power and magdrive development but the other two developed the control system software and the environmentals. It was really a team effort.

Yeah, Novelty Consulting bastardized the systems and tried to pump it out on the initial wave of 'nova designed' trash that hit the market after Galatea. This was to be their lead into the paradise of military contractor-hood. Of course on the bright side, after the class action suits were settled, all the prototypes were sold for scrap.

Want to hear the funny part? These were never actually intended to be submersibles. We were researching hull designs and drive systems for space crafts. The friend that funded the project was obsessed with the idea of walking strange new worlds but water testing was the easiest way to simulate many of the conditions of deep space. And within the design limitations I mentioned, nothing outperforms them for speed or manueverability at deep depths.

Charlton actually owns the design since he funded the research but he's been on extended travel and I don't think he'd mind sharing the system specs with Jade. As he often said; information wants to be free, its only entertainment that wants to be valuable.

------------------

Tuesday Childe

having far to go...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tuesday Childe:

<B> Charlton actually owns the design since he funded the research but he's been on extended travel and I don't think he'd mind sharing the system specs with Jade. As he often said; information wants to be free, its only entertainment that wants to be valua

Quote:
Alex McKenzie whispered:
I also sent you the blueprints for the lightscreens and optic mike we use for interfacing, although we could just bring our own next time, it'd probably be a little easier.

BTW - I've grapsed the concept of the optic mike, but what the heck are the light screens and how do they work?

------------------
Tuesday Childe
having far to go...

Jager, Could this be a sign that your friend Corbeau is watching? Perhaps there is some other problem? Maybe an annoyed researcher? I decided to get rid of those "film makers" near my home last night. When they woke up this morning they were three miles off the coast of Japan, about 100 miles from where they started. I think that will teach them a lesson.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuesday Childe:
BTW - I've grapsed the concept of the optic mike, but what the heck are the light screens and how do they work?

I believe I can answer that. They're a specially prepared synthetic Eufiber screen that we place over keyboards and/or pressure-sensitive screens so that I can interface with them on something like a normal level. They're highly customisable, Eufiber being how it is, and we can adapt them to nearly any type of input system with Alex's Interfacer program (Although, the largest trouble tends to be finding the right plug for them...). We even have a variant of the design that has pressure pads that (given some effort) allow me to use levers and dials. We don't tend to use them that much, mostly for light switches and locks (the light screens have an added benefit that it can identify my quantum signature, as well), mostly because Alex is far better on the computer than I am. I do, however, find it extraordinarily useful for doing 3-d construct work.

If you want, Alex can provide you with a small screen that you can reverse-engineer. We could add it to the interface of the sub to add an extra level of security, if you intend for it to only be used by novas.

I was just curious about the purpose of the device but now I'm intrigued by the unique problem your condition poses. Are you and Alex of a mind to try beta-testing some hardware? I have an idea or two.

Quick question, though: can you affect light waves in any spectrum by conscious manipulation? Give me the answer to that and let me crunch it for a couple of hours and I might have something for you to try.

------------------

Tuesday Childe

having far to go...