AEON IS BACK

Ayre el KaBeer

Umm... When you say 'everyone else' who are you refferring to? Even Ayre's said he's less angry about it now. I only mentioned a kick in the nuts because it's a switch from the system we are used to using, and for those fans who don't play D20 games, it's gonna be a new system to learn.

Anyone who has read the article will know it should bring more fans to the game.

We haven't been 'Rabidly saying how much it will suck because it's D20'. If you read the posts again, most of us have been trying to see the bright side.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

SnakeEyes

::smile

Sorry, been spending too much time reading the RPGnet boards. When I posted the announcement there, within two days the thread was up to about 400+ posts, most of which were decrying how much it sucks by sheer virtue of the d20 system. I came here and skimmed the posts, starting with the thread itself which was titled "AEON IS BACK: Warning, this will upset you!" And I just sort of backlashed.

So, sorry. :P

Actually its the whole idea of adding classes to the aeonverse that spooks me.

Okay the psion of trinity might fit since they are "formated" in the Prometheous tanks, but come-on having a Teragen Prestige class? I play Star Wars D20 pretty regularly with my mates and it is great, but the Jedi profession is wanked. They have Jedi skills and Jedi feats, and all of them are opened up ;with the "Force Sensitive" feat. I figure Aeonverse will follow a similar format. But I am concerned how balanced the Mega-Attributes will be. Course, the first time someone tells me they want to take 20 on their Quantum Bolt, I think I will spaz.

I actually really enjoy the D20 StarWars much better than the West End Games version, but I also feel that Jedi in D20 are over-the-top compared to all other professions, and I can see Aberrant being the same, only intentionally so.

Actually its the whole idea of adding classes to the aeonverse that spooks me.

Okay the psion of trinity might fit since they are "formated" in the Prometheous tanks, but come-on having a Teragen Prestige class?  I play Star Wars D20 pretty regularly with my mates and it is great, but the Jedi profession is wanked.  They have Jedi skills and Jedi feats, and all of them are opened up ;with the "Force Sensitive" feat.  I figure Aeonverse will follow a similar format.  But I am concerned how balanced the Mega-Attributes will be.  Course, the first time someone tells me they want to take 20 on their Quantum Bolt, I think I will spaz.

I actually really enjoy the D20 StarWars much better than the West End Games version, but I also feel that Jedi in D20 are over-the-top compared to all other professions, and I can see Aberrant being the same, only intentionally so.

Whoah, whoah, whoah. Slow down.

Do you have an advance copy of the new rules? Because otherwise I don't know where you're pulling these examples from.

There are d20 games already out there which don't have classes. Why do the Continuum games *have* to have them?

Even if they do (and I can certainly understand using them with, say, Trinity) keep in mind that the people doing this are the same people who made the games in the first place. You think they'll do something like a Teragen Prestige Class?

Have faith. At least wait until you see the final product before commenting on whether its implementation is good or bad.

I've been thinking about how the games will work under d20. Despite what I've read all over the place that Trinity would be the easiest to convert, I think Aberrant will be the easiest of the 3 to convert to d20.

JUST A THOUGHT:

Very basic but workable example, current soak rules say that novas can soak lethal damage, translation: damage reduction ::laugh . A tricky power to get working and balanced is Armor (will probably count as a stackable Natural Armour bonus, or a chunky Damage Reduction), especially if including the superheavy extra (this baby already gives a + to Armor Class and would almost have to add to DR). Biggest problem with superheavy is the penalties detract from dex and therefore lower AC, I see superheavy (and most extra's) being scrapped as a result of all these fiddly bits. Think about it see what you can come up with, who knows we might actually guess some things right. ::thumbsup

::blink Sheesh. I'm kept offline for a measly two weeks due to software glitches, and it looks like all hell has broken loose on the Aeon gaming scene!

Apologies if I sound a little shell-shocked, but at the start of last month the Aeoniverse forum on the White Wolf site was one of the more polite and civilized places around. It was where people wouldn't assume that you were on some kind of illegal drug just from your chosen topic of conversation. And now... yikes! It's just as full of flaming and vitriol as the WoD forums!

As for AEON D20... Like most of the heavy supporters of the Aeoniverse lines, I've got mixed feelings. I see a possibility for new setting material that isn't fan produced, which is apparently a good thing. But if the new setting material isn't compatible with the Storyteller system, it's not going to do a whole lot for me, I'm afraid.

Being an old gaming fogey, I'm very familiar with both D20 and the game that spawned it- ye olde "D&D", put out by TSR. I played them because they were the only RPGs around that weren't obviously half-baked. Yes, they were clunky, but there competitors were even worse!

Enter White Wolf and the Storyteller System. Once I got a hold of MAGE and Vampire, I was hooked. The games were of higher quality and the system blew me out of the metaphorical water with its simplicity. As the 90s' progressed, things kept getting better. The Aeoniverse lines were the icing on the cake as far as I was concerned. As for TSR... they were busy caving in to fundamentalist loonies before their business practices led them to bankruptcy and a takeover by Wizards of the Coast.

So forgive me if I have some misgivings about this attempt to recast the Aeoniverse lines in the D20 mold. It might turn into something worthwhile, but that's no reason to toss out our fine efforts here at EON! We don't have to buy the D20 books if we don't want to, people. We just have to wait and see whether or not they'll be worth buying in the first place.

Edit: Some people elsewhere have pointed out that we shouldn't be talking about what d20 will do to the Continuum, but what the Continuum will do to d20.  Just think: Dramatic Editing rules for d20, usable in whichever game you like.  New technlogy.  A new psionics system.  We win either way.  (:

Yeah I said that over at Rpgnet under TheDivineCynic which has become my new favorite screename. Wow I was quoted ::biggrin

I actually think the Continuum will benefit D20 personally. Now as whether the Continuum D20 will suck, the more I think about it the more I take the wait & see attitude.

Adventure D20 will have to do a lot to impress me. This is because I am far more impressed by Adventure's system then the setting. I am very impressed by the setting mind you. I love to convert to Adventure.

Also, be prepared folks Continuum D20 will prolly shatter your assumptions. A lot can be reworked. After all as classes go they can be really basic & less problematic, look a D20 Modern.

Archived