Trinity Universe: The Lost Treasure of Sir Henry Morgan

Asbjørn

"Cap'n! Hastings says the main power is completely unpredictable. The readings they get on the bridge don't make any sense at all. He says it looks like it's working against the diesel-engine!"

Park shakes his head,

"For cryin' out loud..."

Suddenly he just starts talking out loud - aparantly not to anyone in particular,

"Listen, Princess, that bastard murdered one o' your crew. I thought you were with us? Haven't we treated y' right? Time t' choose - it's him or us."

The Captain shakes his head again, & mutters under his breath,

"Where's that blasted tea got to?.."

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Park shakes his head,

"For cryin' out loud..."

Suddenly he just starts talking out loud - aparantly not to anyone in particular,

"Listen, Princess, that bastard murdered one o' your crew. I thought you were with us? Haven't we treated y' right? Time t' choose - it's him or us."

The Captain shakes his head again, & mutters under his breath,

"Where's that blasted tea got to?.."

Catching the tail end of the Cap'n's tirade, Bethany stops in the doorway and stealthily backs out ::ninja

*The Empire just cannot run without its precious tea...*

• 6 months later...

Captain Park's powerful, booming voice cuts through the background roar of the diesel engine and echoes throughout the engine room. For a brief moment of time, nobody moves in the room.

Chang ::pirate - still on the phone with Hastings on the bridge - gives his commanding officer a puzzled look ::huh and opens his mouth to speak when an arc of electricity leaps from engine controls to the phone on the wall and interrupt him. ::blink Unable to release his grip on the phone he's frozen in place as his hair starts standing up. ::shocked

Crewman Jenks quickly backs away from the controls as gauges and displays in front of him go haywire, smoke rises from all wires and the smell of melting plastic spreads to the room. Throughout the room electricity seems to have gone berserk; showers of sparks rain from the broken lamps overhead, arcs of blue-white power dance along the wires, burning plastic everywhere. By the entrance - near Bethany - a fusebox explodes, black smoke billowing into the hallway.

"...him or us..."

Through a trick of the engineroom's layout - or possibly because of the fumes spreading in the room - the Captain's voice echoes between the metallic walls.

David and Roughneck - caught between large metal containers full of explosives and flammables ::lookaround - watch in horror as miniature lightningbolts caress the tanks around them, almost oblivious to the ghostly green light pulsing in response to the mayhem. The light from the amulet grows stronger with each adrenaline-driven heartbeat, until the whole room is lit by two flickering light sources battling for dominance, both pulsing faster and faster.

"...him or us..."

The engineroom is an engineer's version of hell as electric fire spreads uncontrollably. Between the engine's roar, the sounds and smells of lightning burning rubber and the bands of lightning leaping from surface to surface, few of the men and women in the room are aware of what's happening just a few yards away, and only one man hears the whispered reply

"...I'm trying, Abner... I don't want to fail you..."

Meanwhile, more and more rays of blue-white energy find their target, converging on the amulet. The hammering lightning bolts hit the ancient medallion again and again, rapid explosions of light filling the room with each impact. Like some mad scientist's wet dream the sound is like a lightning machine-gun going into overdrive, attacking the target with unrelenting fury until its defenses finally are penetrated.

The green and blue-white flickering increases in pace to the inevitable climax, until a blinding explosion of light flows like a living thing through the room and out the hallway.

David - turning his head to look behind him as he scrambles away from the center of the battle - sees a glowing ball of light exploding from the amulet. ::blink The wall of the sphere closes in on him rapidly and sends him sprawling to the floor as it engulfs him and knocks the breath out of him. Blinded by that painful, pale, blue-green light he hits the deck, small, tingling bands of electricity dancing over his frame. ::wacko All he feels is that tingling sensation, but as the blinding light fades, the pain too goes away. He feels himself welcoming the comfortable darkness as he slips into oblivion.

There's a time to stand your ground and a time to run, and Roughneck has had extensive training in telling the difference. This is definitely one of the latter, and the huge marine wastes no time in getting as far away from the imminent explosion as possible. The wall of light catches him by surprise. Still running away, he feels his powerful muscles go limp as he too is swallowed by the expanding sphere and collapses on the deck when his legs fail him. ::crazy Lying there - blinded - in a puddle of something slick and oily he feels a small triumph in the fact that he still seems to have control of his left hand, but as soon as the thought has entered his head it's gone. He briefly wonders if this is what dying feels like, before consciousness fades away.

Bethany - recovering from the shock of the exploding fuse box - sees the dark smoke clouds roll towards her, flashes of bright light parting them just in time to reveal the much more alien sphere of swirling light rushing towards her. ::nervous She has just enough time for a quick prayer before she feels all muscle control being washed away by the wave of blinding light. Hand clenched tightly around her own amulet she's out cold even before she hits the deck face first.

"...him or us..."

Park feels his own words echo in his mind again and again as the energy in the room builds. Burdened by the weight of despair he feels the strength of his legs failing him. The sphere of light explodes and expands towards him, and he calmly faces the blinding wall with a reassuring voice whispering

"...always you, Abner... I'll take care of you..."

They say drowning can be a peaceful death, and as the soft voice fills his mind and the blinding light turns to darkness the Captain feels safe, content and almost happy. If this is death, it's not so bad... ::sleep

The End...?

Later...

The familiar, reassuring scent of seawater and ocean breezes filled the Nausicaa's small hospital. Hastings stood silently in the room watching the beds, placed closer to each other now than normally. Waiting patiently for the smaller asian man checking on the patients he let his gaze rest on each and every one of them. As the doctor finished his round the acting Captain cleared his throat and looked at him.

"Well?"

"Nothing new, I'm afraid.", the doctor shrugged. "They all have normal temperatures and stable if not healthy pulses. None of them have life-treatening injuries, so I don't know what keeps them unconscious. I'm sorry, Hastings, but I've done what I can. When - if - they wake up is up to their own strength and will to live."

"So they could wake up any minute, is that what you're saying?"

"Well, in theory..."

"So why don't you just ring the bell, shake them awake or give the bed a good kick, then? By God, Smiley, if I'd known it was that simple, I'd..."

The senior officer headed over to the Captain's bed and grabbed his shoulder, trying to shake him awake.

"NO!!!" ::shocked The doctor rushed over, pulling the english officer away from his Captain.

"I'm sorry, Sir, but that could make his condition worse. ::angry Now, please let me do my job. There is nothing you can do for the Captain or any of the others until they decide to wake up on their own."

"Bloody marvellous..." ::sarcasm

"All right, Smiley. But you let me know the moment any of them wake up, you understand...?"

With that he marched out of the hospital, leaving the indian doctor to oversee his patients, hoping they'd wake up soon.

Suddenly the good doctor is startled as the Captain sits bolt-upright, eyes flashing around the room as he quickly confirms where he is. A slight frown creasing his forehead, the old guy aptly asks the most important question of the hour - the one thing that everyone is desperate to know the answer to...

"Where's th' bloody tea got to?"

::sly

David begins to twitch for a momnet then stops, lying there for noone knows how long untill he stirs again as though having a dream, perspiration forming on his forehead.

He shakes as the dream takes on the form of a nightmare, a darkness threatening to claim him as a different darkness consumes him *NOOOO!!!!* a blinding light forms itself in his mind and a few words from a familiar comforting voice come through *Get up lad, fight it!* it was his great uncle's voice.

The darkness seems to falter then it redoubles it's efforts to take him. *NO!*

::blink "NOOO!" David awakens launching himself from the bed, gasping for air and dripping in sweat, he shakes his head and stares at the bed "Not today, not if I have a say in the matter".

Suddenly the good doctor is startled as the Captain sits bolt-upright, eyes flashing around the room as he quickly confirms where he is.

The Nausicaa's doctor is indeed startled, but quickly composes himself. His face breaks into one of the broad smiles he's got his nickname for as he quickly moves from the sailor he was checking on across the room to the Captain... ::bigsmile

A slight frown creasing his forehead, the old guy aptly asks the most important question of the hour - the one thing that everyone is desperate to know the answer to...

"Where's th' bloody tea got to?"

...only to veer slightly from his path to pick up the kettle and a cup on his way over.

"Right here, Sir. I must say, I'm so happy you're awake and feeling fine."

He pours the tea - adding whatever the Captain normally takes of milk and sugar - and adds a cup for himself before he replaces the kettle.

Standing next to Park's bed the hindu doctor waits patiently while the captain drinks the ceremonial first sip from the cup, then says

"You've been unconscious for three days, Captain. All of you who were down in the engine room have. You're the first one to wake up, and..."

"NOOO!" David awakens launching himself from the bed, gasping for air and dripping in sweat, he shakes his head and stares at the bed "Not today, not if I have a say in the matter".

The doctor is interrupted by David's awakening. He hurriedly excuses himself from the captain's side, and heads over to the young man, teacup in hand.

"Mister Harrington, Sir. You can relax. You are among friends, and all is well. Please."

He gestures for David to sit down on the bed again, and adds

"Can I get you anything? Food? A cup of tea, perhaps..?"

Calming himself, David nods to the doctor and sits down "I'm feeling alittle parched, a glass of water would be most appreciated".

"Hardly a surprise..." , the doctor chuckles. "You have been unconscious for days, my good man."

The smiling man brings David a glass and a mug of water, fills it up and leaves the mug on the bedside table. After making sure David isn't about to jump around anymore, he returns to briefing the captain - who is lying only a few feet away from David, the unconscious form of Park's granddaughter Minerva between them.

"As I was about to say, Sir, the men's condition is most peculiar. None of you are seriously injured, but still... In fact, I was telling Hastings not ten minutes ago that it could be anyone's guess when any of you woke up. Oh, that reminds me, I promised to inform him the very second any of you woke up..."

For a moment Smiley seems uncertain of wether to follow the acting captain's orders or brief the real captain ::unsure , but he quickly reaches a decision.

"Oh, well... He can wait one more minute. As I was saying, none of the men - or our guests - are seriously injured, but I regret to inform you that I have no idea when they will wake up. Mr Hastings is in command - since both you, Sir, and Mr Chang were knocked out, as it were - and Mr Quick and his men have been working around the clock to put the Nausicaa back in shape. So far we're still on backup power, I'm afraid, and thus restricted to the surface except for short dives when other vessels come near."

"I'm sure he'll be able to tell you more once I call for him, Sir. Shall I? And perhaps some breakfast as well?"

Sipping his tea, Park gets on to the next most important subjects (in order),

"How's Min? How are th' men? How's th' ship? Is that thing dead? How are th' guests?"

"As I was about to say, Sir, the men's condition is most peculiar. None of you are seriously injured, but still... In fact, I was telling Hastings not ten minutes ago that it could be anyone's guess when any of you woke up. Oh, that reminds me, I promised to inform him the very second any of you woke up..."

"Oh, well... He can wait one more minute. As I was saying, none of the men - or our guests - are seriously injured, but I regret to inform you that I have no idea when they will wake up. Mr Hastings is in command - since both you, Sir, and Mr Chang were knocked out, as it were - and Mr Quick and his men have been working around the clock to put the Nausicaa back in shape. So far we're still on backup power, I'm afraid, and thus restricted to the surface except for short dives when other vessels come near."

"I'm sure he'll be able to tell you more once I call for him, Sir. Shall I? And perhaps some breakfast as well?"

"Toast, marmalade, porridge, bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms... I haven't eaten f'r days, by George! Have you got a copy o' th' Times? Who won th' cricket!"

"Oh... yes... send Hastings down too."

"Toast, marmalade, porridge, bacon, eggs, black pudding, mushrooms... I haven't eaten f'r days, by George! Have you got a copy o' th' Times? Who won th' cricket!"

"I'll get right on it, Sir... Er, I'm afraid we haven't been to port since the... incident, so I wouldn't know about the game, Sir."

"Oh... yes... send Hastings down too."

The doctor bows to the captain, and heads over to the ship's phone on the wall to call first the galley to get some food brought up for the two newly awakened men, and then the bridge to inform Hastings. Shortly thereafter two young sailors arrive with plates of food for both the Captain and David, assuring them that there's plenty more where it came from.

While the food is being served Smiley turns to David to answer his question.

"I don't know precisely what happened to it. We found its legs in the thruster, evidently chopped off by the rotor, but the rest of it is missing."

As the two patients wholeheartedly start devouring their breakfast, Hastings marches through the door and up to the captain's bed. He gives a brief salute, then smiles.

"Jolly good to have you back among the living, Sir!" ::biggrin

He twirls his moustache, then continues

"Second Officer Hastings reporting, Sir. We have four men dead after the attack, eleven - including Mr Chang - in the infirmary suffering from the same strange condition you yourself have just awakened from, as well as young Minerva, Sir Robert, Miss Benson and Mr King. I've arranged for a burial for the fallen, but decided to hold the ceremony two more days in case you woke up, Sir."

"There is no physical damage to the ship, but we've had a power failure since the attack. Mr Quick is working on it, but has yet to produce results. So we're on diesel power, going east towards Haiti in the wake of the ship we spied on the surface above the wreck. MacKinnon and his boys did two more shifts in the wreck, bringing out what was salvageable. The Scotsman swears he saw a mechanical fish ::rolleyes spying on them on one occasion, and that it disappeared in the direction of the ship on the surface. Hence our current course, not to mention the fact that I don't think it's very Christian of us to commit our crewmen's bodies to a sea full of zombies, Sir."

The officer stands at attention, seemingly satisfied with his report. Then he suddenly adds

"Oh, yes. The chests, weapons and amulet that were recovered from the wreck are under lock and key, at all times guarded by three men on two hour shifts. None of them have so far reported anything unusual. The creature itself is at the very least somewhat reduced. Mr Quick's men found its legs in the thruster, apparently chopped off. There was no sign of the rest of the creature anywhere near the sunken ship, according to MacKinnon."

The Captain frowns as he reflects on the senseless loss of life reported by Hastings, although he acknowledges that the man did the right thing in reguards to how he's been running things.

Quickly finishing breakfast, Park heads back to his cabin for a wash & change of clothes, then sits & writes letters to each of the dead men's families - noting their bravery & loyalty, & offering his services if any of their family members are ever in need of anything. Each man's family will, of course, receive a stipend for life - for as long as Park can afford to pay.

That dark task complete, the Captain heads to the 'power' room to see what's the matter.

Before leaving for his own quarters to wash and change, David aproaches the bed of his long time friend and in a low tone "Come on old boy get up, you haven't even got a scratch on you, won't do to have you being lazy in bed while the rest of us do the real work..." ::closedeyes placing his hand on Thomas' head for a moment then turns away, the concern clearly on his face.

To noone in particular he adds "He's been through worse..." knowing it to be true, but for the life of him he couldn't remember when.

To noone in particular he adds "He's been through worse..." knowing it to be true, but for the life of him he couldn't remember when.

"I'm sure he'll recover, David."

Ms Morgan stands in the doorway, looking fresh and rested. She smiles at David and adds

"You're right. He has been through worse. Don't worry, in a few days he'll be back on his feet and be annoyed that you woke up before him..." ::wink

The american woman walks with him towards the guest quarters.

"It's good to have you up and about again. How are you feeling? In dire need of a shave, I can see, but otherwise fit for fight...? I've been studying photos of the chests and other objects more or less round the clock the last few days trying to work out what it all means. All the writing and symbols, I mean. I've got a feeling I've exhausted myself looking at it all the same way for too long. I could use a second opinion if you feel up to it."

"What do you say? I've got it all laid out in the lounge if you want to join me after you've freshened up. And there's coffee..." ::wink

Stopping in the hallway outside David's cabin she waits for his response before taking her leave.

Meanwhile...

Captain Park returns his pen to its holder on his luxuriously oversized desk and seals the last of the four letters, adding it to the small pile of mail to be delivered in the next civilized port.

That dark task complete, the Captain heads to the 'power' room to see what's the matter.

The hatch in the floor of his cabin easily opens as usual, its well-balanced and oiled hinges hardly making a noise in the spacious room. The spherical room below is dark and cold.

As he climbs down the ladder lights flicker to life in a circle around the chamber, illuminating the spotless walls and floor. In the centre of the room a dark, cold sphere hovers, resembling some science fiction artist's image of a dead planet, ashen flakes covering the normally so vibrant power core like a crust of cooled lava. The Captain steps away from the ladder, studying the sphere closer. The dark gray surface is an ever shifting jigsaw of flakes pushing against each other, sometimes thinning, sometimes seeming to pile up as layers overlap. Now and then faint light seems to seep through the thinner layers, only to be covered again seconds later.

The room even feels different. Apart from the missing light, heat and sizzle of energy that usually flows from the sphere to all parts of the mighty vessel, the chamber feels empty... ::nervous

With a mighty yawn, Roughneck stretches his arms wide. Eyes popping open, he sits up and takes a look around. Spotting Smiley, he grins at him.

"I've always been a late sleeper. I'd 'ave been up earlier, but for a wondrous dream full of beautiful ladies. What's for breakfast?"

With a mighty yawn, Roughneck stretches his arms wide. Eyes popping open, he sits up and takes a look around. Spotting Smiley, he grins at him.

"I've always been a late sleeper. I'd 'ave been up earlier, but for a wondrous dream full of beautiful ladies. What's for breakfast?"

"Mr Roughneck!", the doctor exclaims. "How good to see you awake as well!" ::biggrin

Finishing his examination of young Min, he gets up and heads over to the small kitchenette by the entrance.

"I have some food ready here, Sir, but it's not much right now I'm afraid. The Captain and Mr Harrington were pretty hungry too when they woke up not an hour ago. But if you feel up for the walk I know the men are just being served supper down in the galley."

In the power room the Captain approaches the 'dead' sphere, a look of genuine concern etched across his craggy features. Reaching out a hand to the device he says,

"Come on, Princess - I've woken up, it's about time you did as well. You wouldn't want an old man t' worry now, would you?"

The Core

Leaning on the railing that separates him from the heart of his vessel, Park reaches a hand out to the dark ball hovering in front of him. First, the layers seem to pile up near his hand, but after a few seconds they gradually glide apart. A faint, almost inaudible whisper reaches the old sailor's ears.

"I am here, Abner..."

The weak light filtering through the dark shell seems to vibrate, reflecting the tension in the soft voice.

"I am glad you are awake. I'm sorry I hurt you and your friends. I... I need to tell you something."

"I remember things, Abner. I remember life before you found me."

Silence fills the chamber, and for a moment Park almost thinks he's alone again. Then the voice continues, still nothing but a whisper.

"I flew once, Abner. I travelled vast distances, with others of my kind. I'd forgotten that, and thought I was alone on this world. I'm not. You found another like me. My friend, my brother, my leader... My Captain."

There is a hint of sadness to the voice as she continues

"I like your kind, Abner. He does not. After ages in the ice I found a friend in you, a human who gave me a new life, a new body. He found men who worshipped him. He was a god to them, and it suited him well. Now he's found me he wants me to take him to where the body of another of our kind lies, not far from here. I... I can't deny him, Abner. Only asleep like I am now can I hold him from commanding my body."

"The dead king you fought is his first follower, his first worshipper. My brother gave him power and gifts, and in return the man made his people worship him. He lives on even in death because of my brother's gifts. I do not know if we managed to put an end to his existence or not. I did my best, Abner."

"You're right. He has been through worse. Don't worry, in a few days he'll be back on his feet and be annoyed that you woke up before him..."

"You're probably right, we've been through a great deal he's always been too much of a reckloose but always managed to come out on top, but this is something different..." ::unsure after a deep breath and glancing back over his shoulder to the bed a smirk passes his face as though he recalled something amusing ::blush "You're right he will be fine. It's good to see you unharmed Ms. Morgan" he says finishing with a slight bow of his head.

"It's good to have you up and about again. How are you feeling? In dire need of a shave, I can see, but otherwise fit for fight...?

"Thank you for your concern, I feel fine, if somewhat peckish".

" All the writing and symbols, I mean. I've got a feeling I've exhausted myself looking at it all the same way for too long. I could use a second opinion if you feel up to it".

What do you say? I've got it all laid out in the lounge if you want to join me after you've freshened up. And there's coffee..." 

Stopping in the hallway outside David's cabin she waits for his response before taking her leave.

David grins "We may not have known each other very long Ms. Morgan, but I believe you know me well enough to know I will not pass up an oportunity to figure this puzzle out I'll be there after my meal".

Once David has washed up, deciding to forgo the shave so he can get started imediately on this little engima. He heads for the mess hall, despite his hunger, David barely notices the meal. Scratching down notes on a small pad he normally keeps tucked away in his vest pocket, jotting down all he can remember about the legends of the walking dead, fallen kings, human sacrifice and so on. Though not a genius by any stretch of the imagination, his determination and dedication to his work has always helped to grant him insight necessary to solve strange mysteries.

His meal over, David goes to meet with Ms. Morgan, hoping she has more light to shed on what's happening, always glancing into the dark corners should an angry legless past king decides to leap out at him. David laughs at the thought but decides to stay on guard regardless. ::biggrin ::unsure

The Core:

The Captain smiles just a little as he hears the voice again. After listening to what she has to say he nods,

"You've done fine, Nausicaa - better than fine: you saved us all. It seems best that we let you rest for now - you've earnt it. Though, before I go, can you tell me - where is your 'brother', th' one who is trying t' control you, now?"

The Lounge

His meal over, David goes to meet with Ms. Morgan, hoping she has more light to shed on what's happening, always glancing into the dark corners should an angry legless past king decides to leap out at him. David laughs at the thought but decides to stay on guard regardless.  ::biggrin  ::unsure

Unassailed by handicapped royalty David finds his way to the lounge. One of the bigger tables is covered in books, papers, sketches and photographs. Ms Morgan stands next to the table - a cup of steaming coffee in her hand - staring at a line of photographs laid out next to each other. As David approaches she looks up and smiles at him.

"There you are! There's coffe in the pot over there." She points to the bar at the back of the lounge.

Obviously feeling that nothing more needs to be said right now, she returns her stare to the table while David joins her. Stepping closer he sees that Ms Morgan has brought a small library on the trip. Laid out on the table are varoius treatises on central american history and indian cultures and languages past and present, archaeological studies and pictures of uncovered Maya structures from the mainland, maps and drafts of the Caribbean area, books on the buccaneer era and a few piles of notebooks. All the books have several bookmarks sticking out of them here and there, some with notes and some without.

Several photos of the wreck of the Challenge, the loot brought on board the Nausicaa and in particular the amulet, weapons and chests belonging to the old king are laid out on top of all the books. Ms Morgan is currently cross referencing the carvings and symbols on the objects with a book on the various Mayan dialects still in use in Mexico.

"There's a story written here, David.", Ms Morgan offers - gesturing to the pictures of the two chests. "I don't understand half of it yet, but I'm sure we can work it out. It's not the same language, obviously, but several Mayan dialects are still in use. This book has a few chapters on how the modern spoken language corresponds with the ancient written one, and a few theories on translation of ancient Mayan carvings."

She shrugs, and picks up a notebook.

"Here's what I make of it so far..."

She opens it on a bookmarked page and hands David the relatively new book. Her small handwriting covers the pages in an attempted line for line translation of the carvings on the lid of the bigger chest.

Here lies the Son of Hurakan, ruler of Mayapan, Chosen?/gifted? of/by the god?/gods?.

Asleep?/dead? he watches?/guards? his people as he himself is watched/guarded by the god/gods.

When needed he will rise to protect his servant?/servants?/subject(s)? who hold the key to his awakening and obey his words?/law?.

The notes go on to speculate on the meaning of the various scenes from the old King's existence, one page devoted to each situation described on the chest's lid. Most of them are blank, or with the briefest of comments on obvious things.

"I haven't been able to get much out of these.", Ms Morgan cuts in. "Many of them are fairly obvious, and I've been focusing on the general story in stead of looking for hidden meaning in each and every one of them. To me it looks like a nameless warrior was chosen in the heat of a battle, supposedly because of his bravery and skill at arms. Here's the battle," - she points to a scene on the picture - "and here's Hurakan's intervention." - a bolt of lightning scattering the warrior's enemies - "Here we see him reach the 'Gift' and bring it home to Mayapan, and this here must be our hero confronting the priesthood and claiming Kingship."

She shuffles through the photos for a few seconds, then pulls out a closeup of one of the last details in the biography. It is a series of three carvings. The first depicts the King overseeing a group of craftsmen working on some kind of boat, the second shows him aboard the craft - now broken - killing the workers with bolts of lightning from his hands, and the last shows him putting the 'Gift' - symbolized by a larger piece of jade than the one portraying his amulet - in a chest.

"This is the last image in the story, and I have a feeling it's the most important one. It must somehow be connected to why he didn't just keep on ruling as Mayapan's immortal king - since it seems to be the final chapter of his life, but I'm not sure how yet..." ::confused

The Core

"You've done fine, Nausicaa - better than fine: you saved us all. It seems best that we let you rest for now - you've earnt it. Though, before I go, can you tell me - where is your 'brother', th' one who is trying t' control you, now?"

The layers around the power core seem to thicken, the cracks that allow some of the light to seep through slowly closing.

"He's here with me. Without our bodies we would die just like you, so his only choice is to return to his chest or try to share mine. If I don't use it he can't either, but it was hard to fight him. It is not certain I can do it again."

"The man he chose as his follower fashioned that chest for him, from pieces of his own body. His weapons are the same, and the amulet. These are the only physical pieces of himself my brother has left, and he would seek a new body."

The voice - growing fainter with each sentence - sounds ashamed as she continues

"He says mine is crippled. He doesn't want me. He... pities me, and is angry for what you have done."

"I cannot speak more now, Abner. But I am here."

The glowing cracks in the sphere in front of him slowly vanish, and the Captain is left alone with the cooling black ball.

The Core:

A frown of concern touches the Captain's brow as the light fades from the sphere, & he says,

"Don't worry, Princess - we'll save you - we look after our own."

After a few more moments of silent contemplation, the old sea dog heads out of the power room, & to the lounge...

The Lounge:

Striding into the lounge, the Captain looks at the two scholars, taking in the obviously intellectual mess surrounding them, then asking,

"Right - what do we know?"

"This is the last image in the story, and I have a feeling it's the most important one. It must somehow be connected to why he didn't just keep on ruling as Mayapan's immortal king - since it seems to be the final chapter of his life, but I'm not sure how yet..."

David looks over all that's presented to him and rubs his chin "Hmmm... It's a good thing we have this coffee, it's going to be a long night. There wouldn't happen to be any additional reference material you may brought on board?" he says picking up one of the photographs

David gestures to Ms. Morgan deffering to her, while examining the picture, hoping for alittle insight.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lounge

David looks over all that's presented to him and rubs his chin "Hmmm... It's a good thing we have this coffee, it's going to be a long night. There wouldn't happen to be any additional reference material you may brought on board?" he says picking up one of the photographs.

Ms Morgan gives David a questioning look.

"Well, yes, I do have other books and references in my luggage, but I think I've got all the relevant ones here."

She scans the volumes littering the table before looking up again. ::unsure

"Is there anything in particular you're missing...?"

Striding into the lounge, the Captain looks at the two scholars, taking in the obviously intellectual mess surrounding them, then asking,

David gestures to Ms. Morgan deffering to her, while examining the picture.

"Good afternoon, Captain!", Ms Morgan smiles. ::bigsmile

"Good to see you awake as well. I'm afraid I've made a mess of your lounge here, hope you don't mind."

She pauses, looking the 'mess' over as if looking for the best place to start before facing the old sailor again.

"Well. What we know is this: The creature is severly wounded, possibly dead. What we - or at least I - suspect is that it's in dire need of help since it's cut off from it's weapons and power source. The amulet. It would need to get them back or find an alternative way to heal itself. Since we've seen nothing of it - and I believe your man Hastings has had the entire ship searched inside and out - I think it's found help."

She gestures to the pile of books and photos on the table.

"As for this... Neither one of us is an expert, but I still don't think there's an actual curse associated with the dead king. As far as I understand this inscription it was the belief of those who interred him that he would act as their guardian and protector, and that he would come to the help of whoever opened his chest and woke him up. As long as they're his servants, that is. I think that's where we didn't live up to his expectations... ::dry But if it's really true that he expected to be woken up, the level of violence he started is a bit of an overreaction."

Looking from the captain to David she continues

"I don't understand what guided him... Was he fighting for survival? Was he angry at being disturbed? Was it pure evil and desire for destruction? I don't get it." ::confused

The Crossroads - Port-au-Prince, Haiti

The bar smells heavily of tobacco, and the fan in the ceiling does little to neither dissipate the smells or lessen the heat from outside. It's late afternoon, and the regular crowd is slowly filling the common room of The Crossroads. Dockworkers, plantation workers from outside the city, vendors of all kinds. Most of them male, and none of them white. Loose cotton workman's clothes dominate the room, but some of the patrons seem more well off. The Crossroads is a bar with history. It was there when most people on Haiti were slaves. It's been there through wars, rebellions, revolutions and occupations, and regardless of the small nation's masters it's always been the same.

The owner - Henri Chevalier - descends from the first owner, the freed mulatto son of a french plantation owner and one of his slaves, and like his forefather and most other Haitians Henri is a devout practitioner of voudun. Indeed, it is rumoured that many of the Chevaliers were strong mambos and houngans, and that their influence is part of the reason for the Crossroads' continued existence through both good and bad times. Be that as it may, it is no secret that Henri's bar is a good place to hear news or get in touch with someone to buy a little extra luck...

Desiree Roix walks up the wooden stairs to the small covered terrace surrounding the building. A few of the patrons seated outside turn to regard her as she passes, some smiling to her, others whispering quietly to each other.

Inside, she stops for a moment to get used to the light. Letting her eyes glide over the tables she notes that she doesn't know any of the guests here tonight. She'd agreed with Steven when he suggested the Crossroads would be a good place to seek information on the state of the underground politics of the voudun society, but unless any of her old friends the Chevaliers had anything to tell her, she might be in for a long wait.

Walking slowly across the floor she spots Louis Chevalier - Henri's youngest son who was recently married when last she saw him - behind the bar. The young man is busy stacking a pile of clean glasses behind the bar, only glancing up when Desiree comes closer. A look of surprise and joy crosses his handsome face when he sees her, and he almost drops the glass in his hand when he quickly turns toward his newest customer. Setting it carefully down, he blushes a little as he says

"Miss Roix! What a surprise! ::bigsmile I thought you were in America...? Isabelle and I have been thinking so much about you. We have two little sons now, thanks to you, Armand and little Henri... You must see them later! Oh, I can't wait to tell Isabelle, she'll be so surprised!!"

Abruptly stopping his monologue he clears his throat and looks around a little sheepishly. ::unsure

"Ahem. Pardon... I forget myself, I'm afraid. Welcome to the Crossroads, Miss Roix. What can I do for you...?"

A ship in the night

Steven Archer looked out on the calm waters of the Caribbean, wondering how his friends were faring out there in the west. The sun was close to setting and he checked his watch before turning to regard the enlarged boathouse built to Dr Fernberg's specifications. Hopefully it would be sufficient for the doctor's needs.

Waiting patiently for the sun to sink beneath the waves, the former spy mentally went over the tasks ahead again.

Out at sea, Dr Fernberg stood at the prow of the american military supply ship looking through his binoculars at the dark strip of land in front of him. It had been a long journey from the States, but hitching a ride with one of Mr Archer's contacts in the navy was at least marginally more comfortable than being at the controls himself all the time. Knowing very well both Archer's fondness for secrecy and that the man normally had his reasons, the doctor had accepted his instructions for the journey to Haiti. He was to arrive in secrecy - as far as that was possible - and the Zephyr would have to be brought ashore under the cover of darkness. Apparently there were many watchful eyes along the coast, but one more ship from the US Navy wouldn't attract much attention these days.

As the sun set, one of the officers approached the doctor and cleared his throat.

"The boys have started taking the cover off your... er... vessel, Doc. Your contact is waiting in the bay directly ahead of us. There. You see the blinking light. He'll guide you to shore. Good luck."

Desiree smiles at Louis, the expression lighting up her pretty face. "It's good to see you, and know that the loas have blessed you," she replies quietly. "I need to ask you about what is happening with the voodoun on the island. It's been a long time since I was here, and since the world has changed... The loas and others may be intervening more."

As the sun set, one of the officers approached the doctor and cleared his throat.

"The boys have started taking the cover off your... er... vessel, Doc. Your contact is waiting in the bay directly ahead of us. There. You see the blinking light. He'll guide you to shore. Good luck."

After confirming the location, Philip smiles and lets the binoculars drop to his chest, "Thank you. I think I'll go see how they're faring."

Turning around, Phil walks back to the center of the navy freighter where the Zephyr had spent the journey tied down and covered. Now the crewmen of the Athena are working quickly to reverse that. Looking on approvingly, Phil grabs a nearby crewman and asks him, nicely, to get the captain.

"I don't understand what guided him... Was he fighting for survival? Was he angry at being disturbed? Was it pure evil and desire for destruction? I don't get it."

Park sighs,

"An ancient evil - which is still with us, although restrained through th' sacrifice o' one o' my crew."

Shaking his head the old man continues,

"Th' box, th' amulet, th' dead-bloke's weapons: they're all made from th' body o' th' ancient evil - but it wants a new body. I have reason t' believe that there's an artifact - not unlike th' one I discovered in my Polar expedition which led t' th' creation o' this very vessel - near here: th' evil, & th' dead king who serves it still, want it. I suggest that we get t' it first."

Gesturing to the masses of academia around the room,

"Will any o' this stuff help on that score?"

The Crossroads

Desiree smiles at Louis, the expression lighting up her pretty face. "It's good to see you, and know that the loas have blessed you," she replies quietly. "I need to ask you about what is happening with the voodoun on the island. It's been a long time since I was here, and since the world has changed... The loas and others may be intervening more."

Louis' eyes dart quickly from table to table before he smiles at Desiree again. ::smile

"Coffee? Tea..? Or perhaps something stronger, miss?" , he asks, the friendly but inscrutable barman's face in place.

In a lower voice he adds

"Well, there's been a few changes, all right. I bet you've probably heard about the biggest of them."

He glances sideways at a newspaper clipping on the wall. The clipping shows a drawing of a black man in a top hat under the headline "Mr Saturday, Myth or Reality?"

"There's been ugly things going on lately, miss. Ugly things. Black Magic, curses... and worse."

He looks into Desiree's eyes, his expression clearly stating that he feels the situation is bad. Too bad to casually discuss over the bar.

"There's a lot of talk, of course. Rumours. One worse than the other. Some of the mambos have... turned lately. These are dark times, miss Roix. Dark times."

Pouring a drink for Desiree, his face brightens again.

"But it's good to see you again, miss Roix. I'm sure my father would love to meet you too. Will you be staying for a while?"

The Athena

The last of the securing wires have just been removed and the tarpaulin his halfway off the Zephyr when Cpt Anderson joins Philip on the deck. The short, slightly overweight officer stands in silence admiring the construct being revealed for a few seconds before he addresses the designer.

"Everything in order, I hope? Looks to me like it's managed the journey well enough. You sure you're gonna be able to clear the deck on your own?" ::huh

He doesn't take his eyes off the vehicle while talking, watching with interest as it carefully is completely uncovered.

"I don't mind telling you, Doc... I sure would like to see it in action. I've never seen anything like it..."

In the belly of the Nausicaa

"An ancient evil - which is still with us, although restrained through th' sacrifice o' one o' my crew."

Ms Morgan looks at the captain in silence for a moment before asking

"How do you mean, Captain? I'm afraid I don't know what happened down in the engine room..."

"Th' box, th' amulet, th' dead-bloke's weapons: they're all made from th' body o' th' ancient evil - but it wants a new body. I have reason t' believe that there's an artifact - not unlike th' one I discovered in my Polar expedition which led t' th' creation o' this very vessel - near here: th' evil, & th' dead king who serves it still, want it. I suggest that we get t' it first."

Ms Morgan - although obviously curious as to how the Captain knows this - nods in agreement.

Gesturing to the masses of academia around the room,

"Will any o' this stuff help on that score?"

Ms Morgan takes a sip of her coffee, runs a hand through her hair and looks at David before replying.

"Well... There's nothing I've seen so far that indicates where such an artifact could be. Do you know anything about that? If not, I guess the dead guy or the amulet are our best bets..." ::confused

"Is it possible that the creature - or this ancient evil - is vulnerable to its own weapons? If so, that might help us."

Gesturing to the photos of the coffin's lid, she continues

"From these carvings it seems like the amulet was the connection between the dead king and this entity. If that's right it means their means of communication now is cut off. If we wanted to, we could probably contact the entity ourselves... ::rolleyes It also means that the servant is on his own and probably acting according to some prearranged plan - or merely on instinct. And that the 'ancient evil' has nobody to do its dirty work for it."

She looks to David for support or critique of her theory.

"I could be completely wrong, of course. What do you think, captain? You seem to have an alternative source of information here..."

"I will take some tea, please," Desiree replies, her fingers tapping on the bar's surface. Her green eyes flicker to the newspaper clipping and she frowns briefly before turning her gaze back to Louis.

"Yes, I will see your father, Louis. I have some new medicines for arthritis."

"How do you mean, Captain? I'm afraid I don't know what happened down in the engine room..."

The Captain waves the woman's comment away,

"I don't think that anyone knows what happened, Madame - but it'll make an interestin' tale once this is done & dusted." ::sly

"Is it possible that the creature - or this ancient evil - is vulnerable to its own weapons? If so, that might help us."

Park scratches calloused fingers across his full beard as he thinks on Mrs Morgan's suggestion,

"Well... if th' thing can be contained by th' box & all th' trimmin's, then I guess that means they have to effect it in some sorta' physical manner..." looking up from his musings at the two academics he beams a grin ::biggrin & adds, "That's a job for you boffins t' figure out!"

If we wanted to, we could probably contact the entity ourselves...

"I doubt he's in a talkin' mood..." Park mutters under his breath...

"I could be completely wrong, of course. What do you think, captain? You seem to have an alternative source of information here..."

"Well, we're followin' that other ship, & one o' th' lads spotted a 'mechanical fish' down below - but we've not got th' speed we usually have so..." Park's voice trails off...

... then he snaps his fingers as a figurative lightbulb appears above his head,

"Th' Albatross! We've got one o' them fancy 'autogyro' flyin' machines on board. Lil' Min made me get th' thing, but I've been up in her a few times m'self. She's no ship, but she handles well enough despite that limitation."

The Captain again grins at the academics,

"In th' Albatross we should be able to get a good look at that other ship - at least see what we're up against. So - who's up for a lil' spin?" ::sly

The last of the securing wires have just been removed and the tarpaulin his halfway off the Zephyr when Cpt Anderson joins Philip on the deck. The short, slightly overweight officer stands in silence admiring the construct being revealed for a few seconds before he addresses the designer.

"Everything in order, I hope? Looks to me like it's managed the journey well enough. You sure you're gonna be able to clear the deck on your own?"

Allowing himself a small smile at Cpt. Anderson's obvious admiration, Philip nods, "The rotors provide enough lift for a vertical take-off. That's actually why I called you up here. You'll want to clear the deck of any non-essential personnel and anything that isn't tied down before I leave. The amount of wind generated by my take-off will be considerable. "

He doesn't take his eyes off the vehicle while talking, watching with interest as it carefully is completely uncovered.

"I don't mind telling you, Doc... I sure would like to see it in action. I've never seen anything like it..."

Phil's smile broadens, "You'll get to see it in flight mode today, of course. I'll see to it that you get a full copy of my report on its performance, and if it's still in one piece after this, its maiden mission, I'd be honored to give you a personal demonstation of all of the Zephyr's capabilities. "

As the crew finishes uncovering and clearing away the various bits and piece of equipment around the Zephyr, Phil turns to the captain of the Athena again, "I'd like to thank you and your crew for your top-rate hospitality and assistance. You run a tight ship, Captain Anderson. Also, please convey my thanks to the U.S. Navy. "

After waiting for the captain's response, Philip walks over to the door on the right side of the cockpit area and opens it.

Th' Albatross!
[What flavour is it? ::tongue ::wink ]

The Crossroads

"Yes, I will see your father, Louis. I have some new medicines for arthritis."

"I'll try to sneak it into his tea... He doesn't like admitting he's getting worse these days..." ::rolleyes

The young man smiles, then sighs a little at the folly of old people everywhere.

"He'd love a surprise, though! Come on, follow me..."

He waves Desiree along as he goes to the end of the bar and opens the door to the kitchen. He leads her through the smells of the simple but excellent meals his mother and her assorted daughters - in-law and born and raised - are known for. Some of them look up and smile at Desiree as they pass, but Louis hushes them down before they can greet her. Through an open door at the back Desiree can see the garden, and Louis stops her just inside the door while he himself steps outside.

"Papa...? You won't believe this! Guess who's here to see you!"

The rusty old voice that replies sounds tired and impatient.

"Stop talking to me like I'm senile, Louis. You know I hate that. And I don't like guessing games much, either. Who is it this time?"

Without replying Louis pulls Desiree out through the door to face the old man. Henri Chevalier married late, and all his children are grown up now. The bald old man sitting in his rocking chair looking out on his garden looks like he should have been at least one more generation from Loius, but the family resemblance is obvious. Both men are tall, slim and handsome, but the old man has lost most of it. He's weathered and skinny, and from the way he squints at her as she approaches Desiree can see that either his eyesight or his memory is going too. A momentary pang of sadness hits her as she sees one of the island's greatest houngans in the last stages of his life.

The old man looks to be in a bad mood, but when Desiree steps into the light cast from the small lamp next to his chair his face lights up. Recognition battles with disbelief for a few seconds before he speaks.

"Desiree Roix...? My, how you've grown, child! Turned into every bit the woman we always knew you would... Come here and give an old man a hug!"

He gestures to the bench next to him, a look of relief mixed with concern on his face.

"She told me you were coming, you know... I dreamt of her last night, but I didn't understand what it meant. But now I see. She means to fight him. She does, doesn't she?"

The rusty old voice is filled with hope, and his grip on Desiree's arm is urgent and firm for a man who looks as frail as he does.

The Athena

Allowing himself a small smile at Cpt. Anderson's obvious admiration, Philip nods, "The rotors provide enough lift for a vertical take-off. That's actually why I called you up here. You'll want to clear the deck of any non-essential personnel and anything that isn't tied down before I leave. The amount of wind generated by my take-off will be considerable. "

"I can imagine... Don't you worry about that, Doc."

The captain turns to his crewmen and orders them to clear the deck. Although not exactly leaping to obey, the crew do as they're told while obvioulsy hoping to get a look at what's about to happen.

As the crew finishes uncovering and clearing away the various bits and piece of equipment around the Zephyr, Phil turns to the captain of the Athena again, "I'd like to thank you and your crew for your top-rate hospitality and assistance. You run a tight ship, Captain Anderson. Also, please convey my thanks to the U.S. Navy. "

Captain Anderson shakes Phil's hand firmly and replies

"Don't mention it, Dr Fernberg. I owe our mutual friend a few favors, anyway... But I'll hold you to that demonstration! Good luck!"

That said, he hurries out of the takeoff area. Some of the crew have remained on deck - standing by in case of an emergency - while most have gathered in front of the bridge where they'll have the best view of Phil's takeoff.

After waiting for the captain's response, Philip walks over to the door on the right side of the cockpit area and opens it.

As he climbs into the cockpit, Phil notes that although there are some clouds overhead none of them seem to have any rain in mind, and there's hardly a breeze in the air. Takeoff should be routine. It would of course be better if he had a little more routine flying the finished vessel in stead of just a few trial runs, but there should be no cause for concern... ::sly ::wink

The Nausicaa - underwater lounge

"In th' Albatross we should be able to get a good look at that other ship - at least see what we're up against. So - who's up for a lil' spin?"

Ms Morgan looks a little taken aback by the Captain's idea, and glances towards David while looking for the right words.

"Er... That sounds like a good plan, but... I don't know if... ::blush I'm sure you two gentlemen can handle that without me tagging along. It probably doesn't seat more than two, anyway, right...?" ::unsure

The Nausicaa - hospital wing

Smiley snaps his fingers in front of Roughneck's face.

"Sir...?"

"I have some food ready here, Sir, but it's not much right now I'm afraid. The Captain and Mr Harrington were pretty hungry too when they woke up not an hour ago. But if you feel up for the walk I know the men are just being served supper down in the galley."

Smiley snaps his fingers in front of Roughneck's face.

"Sir...?"

"Wha...? Oh, sorry mate." A furrow that was creasing the giant's brow slowly disappears. "I was thinkin' a bit, di'nt hear you." A wide grin blooms as he claps a massive hand on Smiley's shoulder. "Supper in the galley, you said? That's where I'll be then! Let the Cap'n know I'll be with 'im in a tic."

Still smiling, Roughneck makes his way down to the galley. It takes little effort on his part to convince the Nausicaa's cook to part with three or four plates of whatever's being served; after he cleans the second plate, Roughneck asks directions to where the Captain is from one of the crew. After another few minutes to finish his final bites, the thick-muscled former Royal Marine waves goodbye to the crew, and heads upstairs to the lounge.

Appearing suddenly in the doorway, his frame big enough to near fill it completely, Roughneck beams a big smile at the others. "Morning, everyone!"

"She has guided my steps here, my friend, and I promise I will do everything in my power to deal with him. News of him has reached me and... others." Desiree's voice is strong and sure for one so young. "Do not worry, but sooner pray to the loas that it will be dealt with."

She gives Henri a reassuring hug. "Now tell me, if you would, what you know of him."

"Morning, everyone!"

::bigsmile "Good to have you back, Roughneck" David turns back to the images before him.

David finally breaks his silence from his strained thinking "The amulet... I'm almost sure of it now, the amulet granted him power and yet it may have controlled it had strong influence over him, look" he points to a series of photographs of the heiroglyphs. "You'll see here, here and here," as he flicks through three images. "Just after his taking control and earning his place as king, probably at the cost of those he trusted byt the way, early on in Ah Na Hurakan reign as king he holds out the amulet as though it was a shinning beakon almost bragging at the power he commands or perhaps showing his people that the gods are pleased with them or whatever else, but in these..." displaying three more photo's.

"In these you'll see he holds the amulet close into his chest, at first I thought he possibly feared it being stollen from and merely being possesive, but it does not fit with the deeds the images depict, I feel Ah Na Hurakan may have been in some kind of struggle for control. Control over the power of the amulet or control over himself I am not certain, though it may be irrelevant, no matter what it apears he was losing some kind of control" David stops for a breath and shuffles some more pictures for the others to look at. "In these you'll see Ah Na Hurakan's obsession and disatisfaction with building and engineering, I don't see how a young warrior who would have and likely did sacrificed others to gain power and glory, becomes a man of benevolence in his mid-life and near the end of his life focus' on construction... The man has lived out three different personalities, his focus shifting time and time again, and in all the images his hands never leave the amulate..."

The galley

Big Jim - Captain Park's cook - is a bald giant with a few missing teeth, and one of the darkest black men Roughneck has ever seen. The aptly named jamaican easily outweighs the englishman by at least a hundred pounds, and would never have been allowed on board a normal submarine. He seems to be in a bad mood - like most of the crew in the galley - and the soldier in Roughneck can sympathize. These men are a tight crew who've sailed together for God knows how long, and now four men are dead and several more in the infirmary. On his way through the mess hall he gets more than a few accusing stares, and he overhears a few whispered comments.

"...all started when they came aboard..." ::hmmm

"...bad luck, I tell ye. Bad enough wi' th' li'l lass, but two more...!" ::glare

"Hey! You watch your mouth, Duncan! Min might never wake up, you bastard!" ::mad

"...been through worse. You know that."

"...ok now the Cap'n is back. We'll get the bastard yet!" ::sly

"He ain't back! Smiley said he'd be out cold for days!" ::confused

"Yeah? You calling Big Jim a liar? Or Hastings? He's back, I tell you. He woke up a few hours ago."

Big Jim shakes his head at the comments, handing out slightly smaller piles of food for the worst of them. Despite his mood, he smiles as Roughneck comes up next in line, and is more than willing to dish out food to fit the man.

The lounge

Finishing his meal he heads downstairs to the lounge, where Park, David and Ms Morgan are gathered. She glances up as he enters, obvious relief showing on her face as she smiles at him. ::bigsmile ::blush

"Roughneck! Oh, this is wonderful! All three of you up and awake in only a few hours. Maybe the others will wake up soon as well."

She seems very happy to see them all up, but David and Park can't help but notice that Roughneck get's a slightly warmer greeting than they did... As David explains and shares his theories on the carvings, Ms Morgan listens with interest, at the same time quietly supplying Roughneck - and Park... ::halo - with a cup of tea.

As the young scholar finsihes his musings, the redheaded woman clears her throat and says

"Didn't you say this entity was looking for a new body, Captain? Something beyond the skill and resources of the citizens of Mayapan, perhaps...?"

Turning to Roughneck she explains

"We've been discussing what we know about the chests and the dead king, and Captain Park has suggested a plan - for the immediate future, at least. The mummy is gone, possibly picked up by a sailing ship that we're following at the moment. He is without his weapons and hopefully vulnerable. The entity I mentioned is an 'ancient evil' that probably was connected to the King by way of the amulet. It's still around, and wants a new body. According to the captain, there's an artifact it seeks somewhere near here, and he suggested that we get to it first. I completely agree, but unfortunately we don't know where it is..."

"Anyway: The immediate plan of action Park suggested was that you gentlemen take to the skies in an autogyro he has stored on board, and take a look at this ship we're following."

Just like old times

The old man takes a sip of rum from a glass on a small table next to his chair, clears his throat and stares into the darkening dusk for a few seconds before he turns his tired eyes on Desiree again.

"He's not from the island. Nobody knows who he is, or where he came from. But he's rich, and strong in the dark arts. He came here not more than a year ago, and soon enough tales were spreading about a man who had the nerve to call himself Mr Saturday. Heh."

Henri shakes his head as he continues

"You'd think Baron Samedi would be offended, but the old devil seems to smile on the man. Not so strange, perhaps... He has sent a lot of souls his way."

"Some of the youngsters have turned to him, they say his way to the loas is stronger, that their power has grown after joining forces with him. Even Simon, my eldest, says he's thought about it... What has the world come to, Desiree?"

A gust of wind bearing the scent of Henri's garden plays with Desiree's hair and skirt. The old man takes another sip of his rum and rolls it around in his mouth for a moment.

"He's the worst kind of bokkor, girl. He cares nothing for tradition, or decency, or honor. He forces the spirits - some say even the loas! - to do his bidding, and dozens of people I thought to be wise men and women let him walk all over them and their people. The yankees may have occupied our shores and cities, but our heart is in another man's grasp. And that is all he seems to care for. Power, over men and spirits. Power..."

"His servants are everywhere, and most common folks don't bother with them. They even come here, some in the open, but most of them hidden. He's divided the island between his followers, and they are the real government these days... To think I'd live to see the day haitians opress their own..."

Nausicaa Lounge:

"Morning, everyone!"

Park grins at the large man as he enters,

"What kept you lad? Some o' us have been up for hours. Try t' keep up with this old sea dog if you can..." ::sly

The Captain listens carefully to David & Mrs Morgan's (she'll never be a 'Ms' to the old Victorian sailor ::tongue ) academic input, nodding on occassion - although whether it's in agreement or just in acknowledgement of what they're saying is hard to tell.

Once the 'boffin' talk has died down the Captain speaks up,

"Right, gentlemen - if we all have th' sleep out o' our eyes now - you best both follow me t' th' flying machine."

Nodding a fairwell to Mrs Morgan as he & the other gentlemen take their leave, Park leads the pair to the marvelous submersible's 'vehicle bay' - where their launch entered (although that seems like a lifetime ago). Along the way the old adventurer exchanges greetings & words with his crew - each one he appears to know well - reassuring the men, as well as sending orders to get the 'Albatross' ready & details of the 'plan' (such as it is... ::lookaround ). Once in the bay David & Roughneck witness the 'flying machine' being unpacked.

The fuselage is similar to that of an observer aircraft from the Great War - the engine & propellers are situated at the nose of the vehicle, behind which is the pilot's seat. In the middle of the fuselage is the second, observer's, seat, & at the rear - near the tail - is the third seat - where a tail-gunner's station would normally be situated although, like the Nausicaa herself, the Albatross mounts no weaponry. The craft has no wings, but instead four bars rise from the fuselage between the observer's & the pilot's seats, forming a pyramid-like structure, atop of which are mounted four rotors - each one shaped in cross-section like a wing. Park briefly explains how the forward motion of the craft causes the rotors to turn, which in turn provides a surprising amount of dynamic lift. Under the fuselage the Albatross sports skids for water-landings - they have small wheels poking from the bottom, but a take-off or landing on solid ground would appear to be more of a challenge than one from water. Still, Park assures the others that such a landing would be possible... at least, they tell him, in theory...

Heading over to talk to the men readying the vehicle, the others notice that the Captain takes a brief moment to check his trusty Webley revolver, before pulling on his 'great coat', gloves, & slipping a pair of aviator goggles on under his peaked captain's hat.

"He sounds dangerous," Desiree agress with a touch of grimness. "I have heard things about him, but you have comfirmed them."

The young Haitian woman gazes over the garden with sombre green eyes. "If I am the horse for Erzuli and Dantor, it comes as no surprise to me that Baron Samedi might look kindly upon him. The world is much changed and Haiti is but the least of it, Henri. The loas and other spirits are now intervening in more direct ways through special people. Some of us seek to help while others seek to harm."

She smiles grimly. "He may be blessed by Baron Samedi, but the loas themselves work through me. We shall see who is stronger."

"Roughneck! Oh, this is wonderful! All three of you up and awake in only a few hours. Maybe the others will wake up soon as well."

She seems very happy to see them all up, but David and Park can't help but notice that Roughneck get's a slightly warmer greeting than they did... As David explains and shares his theories on the carvings, Ms Morgan listens with interest, at the same time quietly supplying Roughneck - and Park...  - with a cup of tea.

Thanking Ms. Morgan with a wink as he takes his tea, the big man listens carefully to all the information provided, doing his best to understand. Unfortunately for Roughneck, his own talents are not well suited to academics...or thinking. ::wacko

Still, he does at least try to nod at appropriate points.

Later, as Park leads them down to the Albatross, Roughneck follows dutifully, but eyes the strange craft warily; uncertain how happy he'll be jaunting about in the thing. Noticing as the Captain takes time to check his revolver, he himself takes a moment to stretch his massive muscles, and asks one of the crew to kindly fetch his thick leather jacket before they leave.

Archived