Call of Cthulhu

Hey there everybody, I've been considerring a new game to buy and have been hearing good things about Call of Cthulhu but no real detail into the works of the game like the system, what dice does it use, etc. If you know much (or anything) about this game let me know, thanks. ::thumbsup

At this point, there are two Calls of Cthulhu floating around. One of them is the traditional CoC game published by Chaosium and now in its sixth edition. Assuming that the basics haven't changed since the fourth edition, it uses percentile dice in a skill-based system. Characters have 9 basic statistics (like Aeon Attributes) and a large number of skills that are loosely determined by their occupations. Skills are measured in percentages, and your goal is to roll d100 (a combination of 2 d10s) and get a result lower than your skill rating. The occupation-based system is not as rigidly restricting as a class-based system; it's very easy to get skills that are not listed under your occupation. The link above has all kids of things to explore.

The other possibility is the Call of Cthulhu d20 adaptation published by WotC and licensed through Chaosium. It uses the d20 system. I have no familiarity with this version, so someone else will need to tell you about it, although I assume it's pretty much like the other d20 games.

Personally, I don't like the original CoC mechanics, but I love the world. I find CoC most useful as a resource to add into other games when the players and characters don't expect it. When Aberrants battling other superheros gets old, throw in an Elder God. It works very nicely with Adventure!.

I´m GMíng CoC right now. Just to share the lots of knowledge I have( ::biggrin ):

watch out not to go overboard with monsters. A look at even something "normal" like a Fishman might take of your complete group. It realy happened to me. No one made his Mental Stability and everybody lost 3 or more stability. They had lost some 3 or 4 points before and thus they got temporary madness. One group down the drain.

If you plan on GMíng this game, be sure your gamers are not angry if their characters having even the slightest of chances.

And one reminder: Don´t ever use one of the Gods themselves. Looking at Cthulu himself always drives you insane. Believe me.

CoC is a game you should only play if your players are capable of being defeaten again and again.

My opinion only, though.

But it sure takes a special breed of gamers to like this game.

Ah and just for understanding: You do have something around 80 to 99 Stability points. If you loose one tenth of it, your toast. If you loose more then 5 in a single situation you are even more toast. if you loose more than the amounts I said until now, You are dead meat.

Oh I forgot: Don´t show them body parts or anything else in a classic horrorscene. Cause they will lose stability points and turn insane. ::devilangel

Due to some rules about going insane because of stability loss characters can become insane with the blink of an eye.

On the bright side the corebook has some pages on Insanities, Phobias and the likes.

So you can get mad in a new way every time it happens.

Ah and don´t forget to look which insanities exist and which of those you have in real live. Realy this is the most fun part of the game. NOT KIDDING IN THIS ONE!

Ah and don´t forget to look which insanities exist and which of those you have in real live. Realy this is the most fun part of the game. NOT KIDDING IN THIS ONE!

Lol - that's called Psychology student's syndrome and is well documented. Lol - enjoy ; )

-Knave

• 1 month later...
As long as you dont use too many of the supernatural creatures...you know average time to go insane in a Cthulu game is about 8 minutes...from the opening words of the DM?

That long!?!? ::nervous

My GM normally achieves it much quicker...

Archived