Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

"Rupert declared Novas illegal in Tampa. That's a violation of his own country's consitution right there - if you happen to accept the 'Zurich Accord', which the USA claims to. The only 'crime' Sluice commited was being a Nova in Tampa.

"You're right, the constitutionality of the Tampa law should've been challenged through the baseline court system. It would have been an easy win. The Count could've used his ressources to convince the people of Tampa as well as to secure the release of Sluice."

For that T2M claimed he was a terrorist, & took him to the Project: Utopia death camp at Bahrain. Rupert was advocating the death penalty for Novas who broke his little 'law'. Sluice 'did the right thing' by the standards of the baseline law which you're so fond of - he challenged an unconstitutional law by the most peaceful & non-violent protest possible, he was just there - just like various civil-rights campaigners have in the past. So don't tell me we haven't tried it 'your way' - we have, & it doesn't work. The full force of T2M - a group that represents the interests of the United Nations, which in turn claims to represent the interests of all the people on the planet - was brought down on his innocent head. By any standards that law was unjust & plain wrong. The people of Tampa could have rejected it, & the man who made it. The government of the USA could have rejected it. The United Nations could have rejected it. Yet none of them did - all agreed to it's enforcement. They all agreed that Sluice was a dangerous criminal simply because he was a Nova who went where they had declared he wasn't allowed to go." 

"How many times have you looked at pictures of the Holocaust & wished that you'd been around to kill Hitler before it all happened? So don't try to tell me that Geryon was in the wrong when he snapped Rupert's neck. You call that 'simply lashing out at whatever irks his ire'? You yourself appear to believe that it's right for the strong to protect the weak against their oppressors. That's all Geryon did - I'm proud to call him my friend."

"And what of my other friend, Sluice? You're happy to have him vivisected by the 'Utopian' butchers at Bahrain, as long as your precious baseline law & baseline sensitivities are protected? Is his suffering an 'acceptable loss', as long as the law is obeyed? Which 'proper channels' would you like us to have gone through? Would you now condem me if I did everything in my power to rescue my friend, & make sure that those who tortured him could never do that to another Nova again?"

Terry narrows his eyes as Pathfinder exposes her views

"What are you saying. Bahrain? I would've thought that Sluice was being held in a Rashoud facility somewhere in the United States....Vivisected?! He's still alive? Why would they do such a thing? You're sure of this?"

"Give me one example of a Terat who lives as a Tyrant over the baselines."

His mind seems elsewhere as he answers

"I would have said Geryon...trying to impose his ways of thinking through fear...but...Why Bahrain? Why would Team Tomorrow and Utopia allow this?"

"Of course I do - I'm suffering through the thoughts that go with those words as well. You're wrong Terry, it's really that simple. I could just rearrange your memories so that you were inclined towards seeing the truth, but I'm not going to do that. You need to walk the true path willingly. Stop looking at the world with baseline eyes, take a step back, & see what's really happening out there."

Terry shakes his head

"I am grateful you leave me this choice...but nothing you've told me so far convinces me that I'm more worthy of evolution than many other baselines. I will not hold evolution against them as if it was their fault that they remained baselines. Some may change, some won't."

"Of course they aren't - but I presume you understand the metaphor? Baselines are animals - that's a scientific fact which even they tend to admit. We are so much more."

"Conscious animals. We cannot treat them like lab rats."

"If we know then how can it be 'blind experimentation'? Are you so arrogant that you claim greater knowledge of Nova biology than Dr Zia - one of the greatest intellects on the planet, & the foremost authority on the subject? If someone had told you that they could make you erupt, but that they'd need to shoot you point-blank with a shotgun to do it, would you have gone through with it? "

Terry ponders the question a moment before answering

"Probably not, not at first glance anyway. If I had known, would it even have worked?"

Like you said, hindsight is 20/20 - but isn't it better to take that step for someone who's unwilling & doesn't comprehend, & allow them to achieve their full potential, & gain that hindsight - than it is to leave the choice up to them?

Terry shakes his head

"What Dr. Zia is doing is no better than what you claim is happening to Sluice. Being shot at is a far cry from long, strenuous experimentation. If Natalia truly knew what she was getting into, was left time to ponder it instead of being rushed into her choice, then maybe...maybe...it would justify the means to that end."

"And I know you overestimate them. You still think it's about them & us - it's not, it's just about us. Whether they're a threat or not isn't the real point - when they threaten us, we'll remove that threat. When they leave us alone, we'll ignore them. Who cares who has the most stamina in a fight? You can't be denying that we have the power to destroy them can you? Trust me, even if you don't believe it, we do - but, like I said, why bother?"

"Then why such hatred for baselines? Is our choice really just ignoring them or removing them? Novas are capable of so much more than simply thinking about ourselves. Think of Ethiopia! We could truly change this world into a paradise."

"Never apologize for being your true self."

Terry remains silent an instant before continuing

"There is a difference between teaching and causing harm Pathfinder. A slap on the wrist isn't hurting the child. It's also quite possible to instruct through positive influence, its even recommended. It shouldn't be any different between Novas and Baselines..."

"Even if that child, like Rupert, is trying it's damndest to murder all the adults, & get the other children to join in? Sometimes a slap on the wrist just doesn't cut it Terry - no matter how much that may contradict the rosey world-view you so want to be true. Allowing the children free-reign to do what they want, allowing them to dictate the rules to the adults, granting them the power to be a threat - that's just madness. While you may wish to believe that baselines are to Novas as children are to adults, you can't possibly believe that they have the same inherent innocence as a new-born, can you?"

"Even if Rupert tried his damndest, the threat he posed was minimal. A calculated response would've been much more helpful than simply killing him. Like I said, the affront simply spawned more Ruperts. Like a child, baselines sometimes don't understand the world they live and fear what they don't know. We should guide them, not punish them for being misguided."

PathFinder leans close, whilst running the tip of one foot up Terry's leg under the table, & gives a devilish smile,

"Would it help if I mentioned that after that little display of power you just had - that glimpse of your true nature - I was feeling really aroused?" 

::blush

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Passing the battle, the small invisible group follow more tunnels - many sporting evidence of violent combat - until they again return to the 'lab' cavern, where they spot a wounded Interface limping back in...

Not dropping their invisibility, Mike walks over to Interface, who hears a disembodied voice, then feels a hand grab his arm... "Interface, this is Mike. Will and I have Natalia, come with me now."

Assuming he agrees to be led out, Mike will expand the invisiblity to include Interface. Then they continue to follow the carnage of the battle, assuming that if they follow the bodies they'll find the entrance that the troops came in.

Rushing around the bend in the corridor, Glacier gets another face-full of flash grenade  , dropped by the fleeing troopers (not that it'll do much to slow him down...). Not delayed for more than a couple of seconds by the blinding light & deafening noise, he continues in his pursuit, following the scent of his prey - then, suddenly, he catches more scents up ahead, mingling with those of the fleeing troopers - maybe a dozen more people, waiting round the next turn in the tunnel...

Not in close quarters, the flash grenade hardly even slows the bear down as he follows the soldiers and avoids obstacles through their scent trails as he continues to bound after them.

John, meanwhile, continues to experiment desperately with the idea of control over the bear, trying to direct his anger towards the stalagmites, or the floor, or something that won't hit back when the fighting starts..

Harvester Tunnels:

John does his level best to slow down the bear - & manages to, for a little while. He can't stop the bear's berserk rage, but - by exerting every last bit of his willpower - he manages to hold him back from charging blindly after his prey, instead smashing into the tunnel walls around him, & howling in anger...

... But John's will is just not up to the task. Soon enough, his reserves are gone, & he has no choice but to allow Glacier to indulge his primal urges.

However - Glacier was delayed long enough for Mike, Will (with Natalia), & Derek to catch-up from behind. Following a turn in the tunnel the invisible group first find the limp, but still breathing, body of Blaze embedded in the tunnel floor, then see Eel (following the bear at a 'safe' distance) & Glacier - in front of them the tunnel opens out into a chamber where a couple of dozen MI troopers are readying heavy weapons to bring down the beast...

Glacier faces the troopers - & charges!

The lead trooper (a woman by the fit of her armour), holds up her hand in a 'ready' sign. Five laser-gunners, & double that amount of troopers with carbine / grenade-launchers, ready their weapons. The woman's electronically filtered voice (which sounds as though it contains traces of an Eastern European accent of some kind) calls out,

"Last chance to back down, Glacier!"

Followed quickly by,

"Dammit! Sorry kid. Ready. Aim..."

Tokyo:

"You're right, the constitutionality of the Tampa law should've been challenged through the baseline court system. It would have been an easy win. The Count could've used his ressources to convince the people of Tampa as well as to secure the release of Sluice."

"Don't you understand? It wouldn't have been an 'easy win' - the US government supported that law. As for the Count - you now want him to exert his influence over the baselines? I thought you were all for avoiding tyrants?"

"What are you saying. Bahrain? I would've thought that Sluice was being held in a Rashoud facility somewhere in the United States....Vivisected?! He's still alive? Why would they do such a thing? You're sure of this?"

"Bahrain is on the books as a Rashoud facility - for cases with 'Quantum Backlash Disorder'. Utopia considers manifestations of evolution as a disease that needs to be cured. What they really do at Bahrain is medical experiments on captive Novas - where do you think all those lovely new 'wonder drugs' come from? They butcher our kind to make life a little easier for the baselines. Do you consider that an acceptable practice? And yes - I'm sure."

"I would have said Geryon...trying to impose his ways of thinking through fear...but...Why Bahrain? Why would Team Tomorrow and Utopia allow this?"

"Killing a few people never qualified anyone as a tyrant. Geryon has never expressed any desire to rule over baselines - he just make's sure that those who act against Nova interests are opposed."

She looks Terry in the eyes - her own all-white eyes seeming to stare deep into his soul,

"As for Utopia & T2M - they don't just 'allow' Bahrain to exist - they created it. Utopia's very reason for being is to use Novas to further baseline goals - even they admit that much. Bahrain is just the logical conclusion of that philosophy - Novas are expendable resources to Utopia, nothing more. T2M are willing to act as Utopia's lapdogs & enforcers - no matter that they're traitors to their own race by doing so. If it wasn't for the constant T2M presence at Bahrain, I'd have already retrieved Sluice & the others - baseline security isn't the issue - T2M are the concentration camp guards for Æon's little Project."

"I am grateful you leave me this choice...but nothing you've told me so far convinces me that I'm more worthy of evolution than many other baselines. I will not hold evolution against them as if it was their fault that they remained baselines. Some may change, some won't."

"It's nothing to do with how 'worthy' you were or weren't as a baseline - you're evolved now - that's all that matters. No one holds evolution against baselines - it's just a cold, hard, fact. You don't resent any other lesser animals for being what they are - it's no different with baselines - you just don't act as though you are one, or expect them to comprehend what you are."

"Conscious animals. We cannot treat them like lab rats."

"All animals are conscious, Terry. But that's a different debate - some baselines refuse to eat meat, others are happy to have experiments performed on monkeys if it'll lead to a cure for cancer - as long as you admit that baselines are animals, of whatever variety, then that's enough for me."

"Probably not, not at first glance anyway. If I had known, would it even have worked?"

"The technical details aren't the point - just the idea that the concept of erupting can't be understood by those who haven't been through it themselves."

"What Dr. Zia is doing is no better than what you claim is happening to Sluice. Being shot at is a far cry from long, strenuous experimentation. If Natalia truly knew what she was getting into, was left time to ponder it instead of being rushed into her choice, then maybe...maybe...it would justify the means to that end."

"Well - if, for argument's sake, we said that your presumptions about Dr Zia's methodology were true - then there is still a world of difference between what's happening with Natalia, & what's happening with Sluice. Natalia is being given a chance to live a better life - you know how much better - to be something more, to evolve, to fulfil her potential. Sluice is being tortured on the off-chance he can be cut-up for ingredients that may add a few extra years into the lives of rich baselines. Please tell me you see the difference. Motives can, & often do, mitigate methods."

"Then why such hatred for baselines? Is our choice really just ignoring them or removing them? Novas are capable of so much more than simply thinking about ourselves. Think of Ethiopia! We could truly change this world into a paradise."

"What 'hatred'? Haven't you heard a word I've said? I don't hate baselines any more than I hate dogs or fish - I just recognise that they're not my peers. As for Ethiopia - Novas repairing the damage which baselines did to the planet is all well & good, but doing so just for the baselines is plain stupid. Do you think they'll have learnt anything? If the Utopian Novas left the baselines alone, how long do you think the 'paradise' would last? The so-called 'terraforming' which Utopia carries out is a constant effort - not a one-time fix. So, again, we come down to Novas being used to further the needs of baselines."

"Even if Rupert tried his damndest, the threat he posed was minimal. A calculated response would've been much more helpful than simply killing him. Like I said, the affront simply spawned more Ruperts. Like a child, baselines sometimes don't understand the world they live and fear what they don't know. We should guide them, not punish them for being misguided."

"The facts of the Tampa incident don't support you, Terry. Rupert's threat wasn't minimal - if it had been, Geryon wouldn't have killed him. Rupert's threat was graphically demonstrated by what happened to Sluice - a very real threat. Just how, exactly, do you suggest that we could have 'guided' Rupert - & all those others in power who supported him - in that situation? We have a right to protect our species, don't we?"

(ok, assuming all goes according to plan)

Seeing John's death about to take place before him, without the aid of a vision, *John! Sh!t!*. Yelling at the top of his lungs "HOLD YOUR FIRE!... Let them see us!... HOLD YOUR GODDAMNED FIRE!!!  YOU'LL HIT NATALIA!!!  ".

Interface opens his mouth and yells, but is amazed that absolutely no sound is coming out of his mouth... ::confused

"Last chance to back down, Glacier!"

Followed quickly by,

"Dammit! Sorry kid. Ready. Aim..."

*Man I hope this works...*

Suddenly, a wall of immensely hot fire rises up from the ground immediatley in front of the MI troops encircling them and completely concealing their view of Glacier and raining immense heat down upon them. Conveniently, a pathway large enough for the novas to slip by is left open next to the wall. ::devilangel

*I sure hope that polar bear is afraid of fire... Otherwise he's on his own*

If Interface fails to keep moving, Michael nudges him forward, while bringing Derek along, past the circle of flame and out of the cavern.

"Don't you understand? It wouldn't have been an 'easy win' - the US government supported that law. As for the Count - you now want him to exert his influence over the baselines? I thought you were all for avoiding tyrants?"

"Though I'm sure you'll disagree, the US court system and the US government are not one and the same. If that were the case, all attacks on the validity of law would fail dismally. And of course I don't oppose the Count's using peaceful, subtle methods to save a Nova."

"Bahrain is on the books as a Rashoud facility - for cases with 'Quantum Backlash Disorder'. Utopia considers manifestations of evolution as a disease that needs to be cured. What they really do at Bahrain is medical experiments on captive Novas - where do you think all those lovely new 'wonder drugs' come from? They butcher our kind to make life a little easier for the baselines. Do you consider that an acceptable practice? And yes - I'm sure."

Terry allows himself a smile

"What manifestations? You mean like Derek's metal skin and those lovely eyes of yours? Why would they want to remove these? I thought those wonder drugs came from the likes of Derek and Zia. There have never been smarter men before, I don't see why I should've presumed otherwise. - his expression darkens, almost angry - Do you really think I knew? That I find this acceptable? Of course not, I find it appalling!"

"Killing a few people never qualified anyone as a tyrant. Geryon has never expressed any desire to rule over baselines - he just make's sure that those who act against Nova interests are opposed."

"If not a Tyrant then a terrorist. There are other ways to oppose and be heard."

"As for Utopia & T2M - they don't just 'allow' Bahrain to exist - they created it. Utopia's very reason for being is to use Novas to further baseline goals - even they admit that much. Bahrain is just the logical conclusion of that philosophy - Novas are expendable resources to Utopia, nothing more."

"This must be the work of some twisted few not the logical conclusion of their philosophy. I doubt that Utopia finds their novas expendable..."

T2M are willing to act as Utopia's lapdogs & enforcers - no matter that they're traitors to their own race by doing so. If it wasn't for the constant T2M presence at Bahrain, I'd have already retrieved Sluice & the others - baseline security isn't the issue - T2M are the concentration camp guards for Æon's little Project."

"Are they even aware of what they're guarding? - Terry diverts his eyes to the floor, thinking furiously and grinding his jaw before looking up at Pathfinder - Look, we're going to get them out, I promise you. If for no other reason, Sluice doesn't deserve to be held in a cell anymore. Who are the others, how many are there?

"It's nothing to do with how 'worthy' you were or weren't as a baseline - you're evolved now - that's all that matters. No one holds evolution against baselines - it's just a cold, hard, fact. You don't resent any other lesser animals for being what they are - it's no different with baselines - you just don't act as though you are one, or expect them to comprehend what you are."

"But its not the same. Lesser animals don't turn into baselines. Our relationship with baselines is much closer than any baseline-animal affinity."

"Well - if, for argument's sake, we said that your presumptions about Dr Zia's methodology were true - then there is still a world of difference between what's happening with Natalia, & what's happening with Sluice. Natalia is being given a chance to live a better life - you know how much better - to be something more, to evolve, to fulfil her potential. Sluice is being tortured on the off-chance he can be cut-up for ingredients that may add a few extra years into the lives of rich baselines. Please tell me you see the difference. Motives can, & often do, mitigate methods."

"She is being given a chance against her will. I dont' know how much better her life would be if she was tortured to get it. She may lose, if not her life, then everything that makes life worthwhile. Torture is wrong, be it Sluice or Natalia."

"What 'hatred'? Haven't you heard a word I've said? I don't hate baselines any more than I hate dogs or fish - I just recognise that they're not my peers. As for Ethiopia - Novas repairing the damage which baselines did to the planet is all well & good, but doing so just for the baselines is plain stupid. Do you think they'll have learnt anything? If the Utopian Novas left the baselines alone, how long do you think the 'paradise' would last? The so-called 'terraforming' which Utopia carries out is a constant effort - not a one-time fix. So, again, we come down to Novas being used to further the needs of baselines."

"Fine, not hatred, apathy. I don't see why Novas shouldn't do their best to help Baselines, as well as dogs. elephants, cats and yes, even little fishies. We are not alone on this world, why try to act like it? Should we really be that selfish? Because we're more evolved? Acting, as you pointed out, just like baselines have been toward the planet all this time..."

"The facts of the Tampa incident don't support you, Terry. Rupert's threat wasn't minimal - if it had been, Geryon wouldn't have killed him. Rupert's threat was graphically demonstrated by what happened to Sluice - a very real threat. Just how, exactly, do you suggest that we could have 'guided' Rupert - & all those others in power who supported him - in that situation? We have a right to protect our species, don't we?"

"By showing them that Novas are not to be feared. By pointing out that crime has gone down almost everywhere where Novas are around. That their living conditions have risen since novas have appeared. By holding peaceful rallies outside of Tampa. Anything but killing the Mayor and confirming their fears. Rupert wasn't to blame for Sluice's abduction, Utopia and T2M were. They only used Rupert's law as an excuse. Tell me, is there a reason why you haven't gone public with this Bahrain information?"

Harvester Tunnels:

Will yells...

"HOLD YOUR FIRE!... Let them see us!... HOLD YOUR GODDAMNED FIRE!!!  YOU'LL HIT NATALIA!!! "

... but no sound seems to come out.

Suddenly, a wall of immensely hot fire rises up from the ground immediatley in front of the MI troops encircling them and completely concealing their view of Glacier and raining immense heat down upon them.

The ground cracks open all around the MI troops, belching forth intense flames.

Eel jumps back slighty at the sudden appearance of the flames ::blink ,

"What the?.. Who did that?" ::confused

Lacking the willpower to resist, Glacier's rage is suddenly tempered by his primal nature - the urge to survive - & he backs away from the inferno, then turns, & charges back the way he came - back towards Eel & the invisible group! The serpentine Nova backs away further - coming dangerously close to the unseen foursome behind her, & blocking their escape route. The field of electrical sparks over her body flares as she holds out her hands & calls,

"Come-on, lover, don't make me do this... Aw sh!t..."

Electricity arcs through the air from Eel's outstretched hands, impacting Glacier's chest - but does little more than tingle, & fails to even slow the rampaging bear. Since Eel's in his way, the enraged Nova swings a claw at her - frosty talons slash lighting-wrapped scales, but fail to penetrate - although, this time, the jolt from Eel's electrical field hurts the bear (slightly), adding fuel to his rage. The dance goes on... [Glacier is Bruised with Bashing damage]

Tokyo:

"Though I'm sure you'll disagree, the US court system and the US government are not one and the same. If that were the case, all attacks on the validity of law would fail dismally. And of course I don't oppose the Count's using peaceful, subtle methods to save a Nova."

"But who decides when those 'peaceful, subtle, methods' are too much, or cross a line? Such influence is, obviously, illegal by the rules of your law. You may draw a line which determines when & where Nova powers can be used, but you'll find it a constantly shifting line - depending on your needs & beliefs. In the end, the only reasonable conclusion is that Novas should be free to use their powers as they will - but no baseline government would ever agree to giving up their own perceived hold on power in such a way."

"What manifestations? You mean like Derek's metal skin and those lovely eyes of yours? Why would they want to remove these? I thought those wonder drugs came from the likes of Derek and Zia. There have never been smarter men before, I don't see why I should've presumed otherwise. - his expression darkens, almost angry - Do you really think I knew? That I find this acceptable? Of course not, I find it appalling!"

PathFinder nods,

"I'm glad you're appalled by Utopia's activities..."

... & smiles ::smile ,

"... & that you like my eyes..." ::blush

"If not a Tyrant then a terrorist. There are other ways to oppose and be heard."

"Ah yes - the old story. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The US government opposses 'terrorism', but sanctions it's own troops to use 'terror tactics'. It's a matter of where you're standing at the time. Yes, Geryon could have used other methods - he could have killed everyone in Tampa who'd voted for the man. As it was, I think he was rather restrained."

"This must be the work of some twisted few not the logical conclusion of their philosophy. I doubt that Utopia finds their novas expendable..."

"Doubt all you want, but don't deny the facts - just think about it whenever you hear a news story about the Project. You'll soon spot the patterns..."

"Are they even aware of what they're guarding? - Terry diverts his eyes to the floor, thinking furiously and grinding his jaw before looking up at Pathfinder - Look, we're going to get them out, I promise you. If for no other reason, Sluice doesn't deserve to be held in a cell anymore. Who are the others, how many are there?"

"Of course they know what they're guarding - they may be traitors, but they're still Novas. We... I would appreciate your help in rescuing the prisoners, but it may take some time before we get to that stage. I can get you more facts closer to the time. Oh, & Sluice never deserved to be held in a cell - no Novas does."

"But its not the same. Lesser animals don't turn into baselines. Our relationship with baselines is much closer than any baseline-animal affinity."

"What's your point, Terry? Yes - we come from baselines. So what? That doesn't make us any closer. In fact, we're not as close to baselines as they are to other mammels. They all bear many similarities - we can do things that no other creature can. A baseline & a dog are similar in lots of ways, different in a few - they reproduce in the same way, eat the same things, form the same packs, etc. - whilst Novas manipulate the fundamental forces of the universe. Our relationships with baselines are just history - emotional baggage that slows our journey into evolution. Recognising that old baseline ties are just echoes of our lives as lesser beings is one of the most important steps on the path to greatness."

"She is being given a chance against her will. I dont' know how much better her life would be if she was tortured to get it. She may lose, if not her life, then everything that makes life worthwhile. Torture is wrong, be it Sluice or Natalia."

"So you'd deny Natalia the chance that was given to you - against your will I might add? Doesn't that strike you as a little selfish?"

"Fine, not hatred, apathy. I don't see why Novas shouldn't do their best to help Baselines, as well as dogs. elephants, cats and yes, even little fishies. We are not alone on this world, why try to act like it? Should we really be that selfish? Because we're more evolved? Acting, as you pointed out, just like baselines have been toward the planet all this time..."

"It's not even apathy, Terry. No one said you shouldn't go out & save the planet, be a marvel for all to behold. It's just a recognition of relative positions. Just because a baseline recognises that a dog isn't his peer, it doesn't mean he has to be apathetic towards that dog - he may love or hate the animal, but he'll never think of it as being the equal to a fellow human. But I have to ask you - when you're out saving the planet, how are you planning on dealing with the 'human factor'? Everything you try to do to help will be subject to negative baseline influence, if you let it. Stop a rainforest being cut down, & you have poverty sticken locals to deal with - who'll go back to selling the wood as soon as you leave. Prevent an earthquake, & you'll have construction companies who use your actions as an axcuse to erect buildings that are less earthquake proof. If any of your efforts are to last, to be worthwhile, you'll need to consider how to deal with the baselines who will inevitably try to ruin them."

"By showing them that Novas are not to be feared. By pointing out that crime has gone down almost everywhere where Novas are around. That their living conditions have risen since novas have appeared. By holding peaceful rallies outside of Tampa. Anything but killing the Mayor and confirming their fears. Rupert wasn't to blame for Sluice's abduction, Utopia and T2M were. They only used Rupert's law as an excuse. Tell me, is there a reason why you haven't gone public with this Bahrain information?"

"The baselines all know what Novas have done for them - it's impossible to avoid, what with everything the PU media-machine churns out. Yet they still allowed Rupert his little law - despite all those things you said would change their minds - they didn't, the baselines just didn't care. Rupert was to blame for Sluice's abduction, so were the US government & people, the United Nations, Project Utopia, & T2M - they all had a hand in it, any of them could have prevented it happening, but they didn't."

"As to why we haven't gone public with the Bahrain information - isn't it obvious? I'm having trouble convicing you - an intelligent, open-minded, Nova - that it's true. What chance have we of convincing the rest of the Nova community at this time? It will come out, but we have to time it correctly to have any impact at all. Announce it now, & all those Novas who are still too comfortable playing with the baselines will refuse to believe - such information would upset the status quo which they have a vested interest in."

"But who decides when those 'peaceful, subtle, methods' are too much, or cross a line? Such influence is, obviously, illegal by the rules of your law. You may draw a line which determines when & where Nova powers can be used, but you'll find it a constantly shifting line - depending on your needs & beliefs. In the end, the only reasonable conclusion is that Novas should be free to use their powers as they will - but no baseline government would ever agree to giving up their own perceived hold on power in such a way."

"That would be reasonable only if all novas were responsible, mature beings...which they're not. Instead of crying against baseline laws perhaps the Teragen should propose viable alternatives; like a Nova governing body."

"Ah yes - the old story. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The US government opposses 'terrorism', but sanctions it's own troops to use 'terror tactics'. It's a matter of where you're standing at the time. Yes, Geryon could have used other methods - he could have killed everyone in Tampa who'd voted for the man. As it was, I think he was rather restrained."

Terry shakes his head

"He didn't just kill Rupert, this wasn't just sending out a message. He killed police officers who were only doing their jobs and reacting to whatever terror they must've been feeling at the time. He injured dozens of civilians. The fact that he could've done more harm doesn't justify what he did, not in the least."

"Doubt all you want, but don't deny the facts - just think about it whenever you hear a news story about the Project. You'll soon spot the patterns..."

"Oh, I'll be doing some research, you can be sure of that."

"Of course they know what they're guarding - they may be traitors, but they're still Novas. We... I would appreciate your help in rescuing the prisoners, but it may take some time before we get to that stage. I can get you more facts closer to the time. Oh, & Sluice never deserved to be held in a cell - no Novas does."

"Some novas definitely deserve to be held in a cell, like Hog I mentioned before. Some Novas are incapable of acting like mature beings without being babied into it. Why the delay? If people are being tortured we should act...and soon."

"What's your point, Terry? Yes - we come from baselines. So what? That doesn't make us any closer. In fact, we're not as close to baselines as they are to other mammels. They all bear many similarities - we can do things that no other creature can. A baseline & a dog are similar in lots of ways, different in a few - they reproduce in the same way, eat the same things, form the same packs, etc. - whilst Novas manipulate the fundamental forces of the universe. Our relationships with baselines are just history - emotional baggage that slows our journey into evolution. Recognising that old baseline ties are just echoes of our lives as lesser beings is one of the most important steps on the path to greatness."

"We're not that different. We eat pretty much the same things - proving his point, Terry picks up a sushi and eats it - though admittedly I barely eat anything at all nowadays. Only on special occasions such as this one. Very few novas are solitary, they form "packs". And, well, I'm hoping our reproduction methods aren't too different from baselines'. ::wink The fact that we can accomplish so much more than baselines only means we are responsible for so much more than they are."

"So you'd deny Natalia the chance that was given to you - against your will I might add? Doesn't that strike you as a little selfish?"

"I wasn't tortured to become what I am, there's a big difference."

"It's not even apathy, Terry. No one said you shouldn't go out & save the planet, be a marvel for all to behold. It's just a recognition of relative positions. Just because a baseline recognises that a dog isn't his peer, it doesn't mean he has to be apathetic towards that dog - he may love or hate the animal, but he'll never think of it as being the equal to a fellow human. But I have to ask you - when you're out saving the planet, how are you planning on dealing with the 'human factor'? Everything you try to do to help will be subject to negative baseline influence, if you let it. Stop a rainforest being cut down, & you have poverty sticken locals to deal with - who'll go back to selling the wood as soon as you leave. Prevent an earthquake, & you'll have construction companies who use your actions as an axcuse to erect buildings that are less earthquake proof. If any of your efforts are to last, to be worthwhile, you'll need to consider how to deal with the baselines who will inevitably try to ruin them."

"Does our power make us lazy? Does the slightest challenge make us balk and abandon our projects? Baselines cannot hope to make a change on their own, we cannot judge them by the same criteria we would judge ourselves. I can't claim to be able to change the world on my own...but if we gathered our efforts together, coordinated by the likes of Derek, Antaeus and yes, even Zia while holding in check those who would destroy our accomplishments, we could attain a world of harmony only dreamed of!"

"The baselines all know what Novas have done for them - it's impossible to avoid, what with everything the PU media-machine churns out. Yet they still allowed Rupert his little law - despite all those things you said would change their minds - they didn't, the baselines just didn't care. Rupert was to blame for Sluice's abduction, so were the US government & people, the United Nations, Project Utopia, & T2M - they all had a hand in it, any of them could have prevented it happening, but they didn't."

"Were all these bodies truly aware of what happened to Sluice? Why should the public make an outcry when a Nova is simply arrested for disobeying a civil law? The same thing happens to baselines holding protests all the time, they couldn't expect that he would be tortured in some facility across the world! Some baselines did contest it but changing laws take time though we'll never know if it would have worked now, will we? What did Geryon accomplish for the cause? He showed baselines that Novas can be dangerous? That they should fear us? His actions were a detriment to any progression of the Novox movement."

"As to why we haven't gone public with the Bahrain information - isn't it obvious? I'm having trouble convicing you - an intelligent, open-minded, Nova - that it's true. What chance have we of convincing the rest of the Nova community at this time? It will come out, but we have to time it correctly to have any impact at all. Announce it now, & all those Novas who are still too comfortable playing with the baselines will refuse to believe - such information would upset the status quo which they have a vested interest in."

"Give them facts they can't contest. Take Bahrain and tell them to come and see. If you know Novas who can destroy all baselines if it struck their fancy, surely you know some who could help in the retaking of Bahrain? Novas won't ignore news that Project Utopia is torturing novas in India..."

Lacking the willpower to resist, Glacier's rage is suddenly tempered by his primal nature - the urge to survive - & he backs away from the inferno, then turns, & charges back the way he came - back towards Eel & the invisible group! The serpentine Nova backs away further - coming dangerously close to the unseen foursome behind her, & blocking their escape route.

*Hmmm, things aren't going as well as I might have liked*

Michael and the group squeeze up near the wall, waiting, and hoping, for their escape route to open back up.

"Come-on, lover, don't make me do this... Aw sh!t..."

Electricity arcs through the air from Eel's outstretched hands, impacting Glacier's chest - but does little more than tingle, & fails to even slow the rampaging bear. Since Eel's in his way, the enraged Nova swings a claw at her - frosty talons slash lighting-wrapped scales, but fail to penetrate - although, this time, the jolt from Eel's electrical field hurts the bear (slightly), adding fuel to his rage. The dance goes on... [Glacier is Bruised with Bashing damage]

Glacier's eyes are invisible beyond the snow-white, freezing quantum field surrounding him. A fist blasts out, thrusting a long claw before it.

Seeing the 2 HUGE forms of Eel and Glacier barrelling towards him, Will is left with little choice. Despite being drained of his energies, he calls on his powers ::sneaky2 which results in a small trickle of blood to run down his notrills. Will, with Natalia, darts up the wall and begins his attempt to maneuver past the incomming Novas at blisterring speeds, hopefully to 'safety'.

(OOC: Will is on bruised with unhealable lethal damage. sorry prof had to say it ::laugh )

Harvester Tunnels:

Trying to ignore the throbbing pain in his head that results from his actions, Will waits for an opening, then speeds forwards - accelerating up the wall, & running along the ceiling, Natalia clasped close to his chest. Making it past the thrashing form of Eel as she battles Glacier, he continues on over the fires - noticing as he goes that the MI personnel appear to have passed out due to the intense heat.

Sprinting on & out of the cavern Will enters more tunnels, but soon finds that he can again see himself & the girl in his arms, as he leave Mike behind. Not long after, he hears more shouts & the noise of more troops - heading in that direction the young Nova runs into (well, over, technically... ::wink ) more Master International personnel. Recognising Will (not to mention Natalia), they quickly direct him back to the entrance they came in.

Soon Will & Natalia are being helped out of a basement, into a what looks to be a small-town, middle-American, diner - now secured by Masters International security troops. A few tendrils of gas, & a lot of unconscious civillians, lends testiment to the action that took place in the town.

Will & Natalia are taken outside, where a large, sleek, matt-black aircraft hovers above the town - it looks something like a cross between a stealth bomber & a Concord. An air-ambulence-style harness is lowered, & medical staff secure Natalia to it - Will gets to ride up as well.

The interior of the craft is almost as impressive as the exterior. Holographic projections of satallite images map the progress of the various MI troops through the tunnels - now all being recalled. Paramedics quickly set to examining Natalia - & offer to look over Will as well. One of the technical staff looks over to Will from his computer station, grins, & gives a 'thumbs up' sign ::thumbsup ,

"Good work, kid! Welcome to the Horus - we'll be out of here in no time, the last of the explosives are almost set."

Back in the tunnels, Mike & Derek hear the sound of troops double-timing towards them from behind. Glacier & Eel continue to clash, Glacier blasting a clawed fist towards his victim of opportunity, catching Eel with a ripping blow across her side. She swears as the bear's claws draw blood, then lunges forwards, wraping several coils of her immense tail around the icy anima, & squeezing hard. Glacier feels the breath being crushed out of him. [Glacier is Bruised on Bashing damage]

Tokyo:

"That would be reasonable only if all novas were responsible, mature beings...which they're not. Instead of crying against baseline laws perhaps the Teragen should propose viable alternatives; like a Nova governing body."

"It's not a matter of 'crying', Terry, I was simply pointing out the futility of applying baseline laws to Novas, or of expecting baseline governing bodies to be able to govern Novas."

"He didn't just kill Rupert, this wasn't just sending out a message. He killed police officers who were only doing their jobs and reacting to whatever terror they must've been feeling at the time. He injured dozens of civilians. The fact that he could've done more harm doesn't justify what he did, not in the least."

"Ah - the old 'I was only doing my job' defense. Those baselines knew Geryon's power, they knew the consequences of getting in his way. If they'd have left him alone, then he'd have ignored them. Let's face it, Terry, they were basically just stupid - Geryon shouldn't be blamed for that. What was he to do? Surrender to the authorities?."

"Oh, I'll be doing some research, you can be sure of that."

"Good - I'd think less of you if you didn't. You can trust me, Terry, I am telling you the truth - but if that trust requires you finding the facts out for yourself, then so much the better."

"Some novas definitely deserve to be held in a cell, like Hog I mentioned before. Some Novas are incapable of acting like mature beings without being babied into it. Why the delay? If people are being tortured we should act...and soon."

"What does being locked in a cell actually achieve? Who does it help? What does it change? Are you thinking for yourself, or just repeating what your baseline upbringing told you was the accepted norm?"

"We're not that different. We eat pretty much the same things - proving his point, Terry picks up a sushi and eats it - though admittedly I barely eat anything at all nowadays. Only on special occasions such as this one. Very few novas are solitary, they form "packs". And, well, I'm hoping our reproduction methods aren't too different from baselines'.  The fact that we can accomplish so much more than baselines only means we are responsible for so much more than they are."

"You eat for the enjoyment of the experience now - not because you need to. That's a fundamental change. Novas are hardly numerous enough, yet, to allow blanket statements about their social habits - I know several solitary Novas, for example. As for sex..."

She grins, her foot again sliding up Terry leg,

"... like I said, some things are for enjoyment, not need... Maybe you'll find out just how different Nova sex can be... If you play your cards right..." ::devil

"I wasn't tortured to become what I am, there's a big difference."

"Not if you look at the larger picture there isn't, no. Do you discriminate against fellow Novas based on how they erupted? Terry, I think you've just invented a new prejudice." ::tongue ::wink

"Does our power make us lazy? Does the slightest challenge make us balk and abandon our projects? Baselines cannot hope to make a change on their own, we cannot judge them by the same criteria we would judge ourselves. I can't claim to be able to change the world on my own...but if we gathered our efforts together, coordinated by the likes of Derek, Antaeus and yes, even Zia while holding in check those who would destroy our accomplishments, we could attain a world of harmony only dreamed of!"

"Yes - together we can change the world. But not if we're blinded by baseline ways of thinking. They failed the planet - if we follow them, we'll do the same thing."

"Were all these bodies truly aware of what happened to Sluice? Why should the public make an outcry when a Nova is simply arrested for disobeying a civil law? The same thing happens to baselines holding protests all the time, they couldn't expect that he would be tortured in some facility across the world! Some baselines did contest it but changing laws take time though we'll never know if it would have worked now, will we? What did Geryon accomplish for the cause? He showed baselines that Novas can be dangerous? That they should fear us? His actions were a detriment to any progression of the Novox movement."

"The law was wrong in the first place. Do you deny that Novas are dangerous, that any reasonable baseline should, logically, fear our power? Look at you - you nearly brought down this whole building because your emotions were stirred. We are dangerous, of course we are. Do you want the baselines to be lied to now, is that it? Geryon did what he felt was right. He wasn't motivated by the petty baseline politics that you feel forced to attribute to him - he saw a crime, & he acted against it. Is that really so far removed from the way you feel about things?"

"Give them facts they can't contest. Take Bahrain and tell them to come and see. If you know Novas who can destroy all baselines if it struck their fancy, surely you know some who could help in the retaking of Bahrain? Novas won't ignore news that Project Utopia is torturing novas in India..."

"Yes - we can probably take Bahrain, but we want to do it whilst saving those held there as well. Rushing in will only lead to disaster. If it was simple, if there weren't T2M guards, Quantum dampening fields, & all the other things to prevent just what you propose, then yes, of course we'd have acted by now."

Suddenly translucent golden flames leap up around the two Novas, cutting their table off from the rest of the startled restaurant, & forming a dome over them. The crowds at the door part, & Terry sees an attractive Japanese woman in a tight-fitting uniform walk in - an aura of golden flames that matches the 'dome' surrounding her body.

PathFinder glances across, then takes another bite of sushi. Smiling at Terry, she comments,

"I guess I should have mentioned that I'm wanted for 'terrorism' in Japan?" ::sly

Glacier & Eel continue to clash, Glacier blasting a clawed fist towards his victim of opportunity, catching Eel with a ripping blow across her side. She swears as the bear's claws draw blood, then lunges forwards, wraping several coils of her immense tail around the icy anima, & squeezing hard. Glacier feels the breath being crushed out of him. [Glacier is Bruised on Bashing damage].

Glacier struggles mightily for release from Eel, and John struggles feebly for release from Glacier.

"It's not a matter of 'crying', Terry, I was simply pointing out the futility of applying baseline laws to Novas, or of expecting baseline governing bodies to be able to govern Novas."

"Then we're agreeing on something."

"Ah - the old 'I was only doing my job' defense. Those baselines knew Geryon's power, they knew the consequences of getting in his way. If they'd have left him alone, then he'd have ignored them. Let's face it, Terry, they were basically just stupid - Geryon shouldn't be blamed for that. What was he to do? Surrender to the authorities?."

"He could not have done it in the first place. You know where I stand on this..."

"Good - I'd think less of you if you didn't. You can trust me, Terry, I am telling you the truth - but if that trust requires you finding the facts out for yourself, then so much the better."

"I trust you but if I need to find friends to back me up in this I wan't to be sure about what I'm saying..."

"What does being locked in a cell actually achieve? Who does it help? What does it change? Are you thinking for yourself, or just repeating what your baseline upbringing told you was the accepted norm?"

"It's the adult equivalent of the slap on the wrist. It helps prevent whatever happened from happening again and it helps the detainee think about what he or she did and mature a little."

"You eat for the enjoyment of the experience now - not because you need to. That's a fundamental change. Novas are hardly numerous enough, yet, to allow blanket statements about their social habits - I know several solitary Novas, for example.

"I'm the exception in eating for the enjoyment of it among novas I think. Most Novas I know eat almost constantly. You're right about the us novas not being numerous enough for generalisations. Purely for the sake of argument though, I know several solitary baselines as well... ::wink "

As for sex..."

She grins, her foot again sliding up Terry leg,

"... like I said, some things are for enjoyment, not need... Maybe you'll find out just how different Nova sex can be... If you play your cards right..."

"I..err..." ::blush [don't think there's any truly graceful response...:P]

"Not if you look at the larger picture there isn't, no. Do you discriminate against fellow Novas based on how they erupted? Terry, I think you've just invented a new prejudice."

Terry rolls his eyes

"You know what I meant."

"Yes - together we can change the world. But not if we're blinded by baseline ways of thinking. They failed the planet - if we follow them, we'll do the same thing."

"They failed because they don't have the same capacity to change the world that we do."

"The law was wrong in the first place. Do you deny that Novas are dangerous, that any reasonable baseline should, logically, fear our power? Look at you - you nearly brought down this whole building because your emotions were stirred. We are dangerous, of course we are. Do you want the baselines to be lied to now, is that it? Geryon did what he felt was right. He wasn't motivated by the petty baseline politics that you feel forced to attribute to him - he saw a crime, & he acted against it. Is that really so far removed from the way you feel about things?"

Terry frowns ::angry

"I never would've injured a baseline. Geryon acted without any regard to the consequences of his act. Again, what did he gain for the cause? Nothing."

Quantum dampening fields

Terry looks up and interrupts Pathfinder as she speaks

"They can do that?"

Suddenly translucent golden flames leap up around the two Novas, cutting their table off from the rest of the startled restaurant, & forming a dome over them. The crowds at the door part, & Terry sees an attractive Japanese woman in a tight-fitting uniform walk in - an aura of golden flames that matches the 'dome' surrounding her body.

PathFinder glances across, then takes another bite of sushi. Smiling at Terry, she comments,

"I guess I should have mentioned that I'm wanted for 'terrorism' in Japan?"

Terry takes Pathfinder's hand into his and responds wryly

"Well, at least you keep it interesting..."

The Horus:

"...Wait... Explosives? The others are still in the tunnels!"

The tech' nods,

"Our people are all tagged - we've teams moving to retrieve those who are down right now. Don't worry - we're only gonna' burn the monsters."

The man glances back as his display, taps a few icons, then frowns. Turning back to Will he says,

"According to this your pal Blaze hasn't moved for quite some time. I'll assign a team."

Glancing again at the display he taps a few more icons, & mutters into his ear-piece comm'. Then the frown intensifies,

"The nearest team is Colonal Masters', but they're not responding. Thermals indicate that Glacier is in the area, as well as what looks like a large aberrant - this could mean trouble."

He turns back to Will,

"Any chance you're up for a few more heroics, kid?"

Harvester Tunnels:

With a mighty surge of strength, Glacier manages to force himself free of the eel-woman's coils. Eel herself looks poised to attack again, when a ten-man squad of MI troopers runs round the corner of the tunnel, behind the invisible group. The troopers skid to a halt at the sight of the two Novas (& the impassible flames beyond), quickly bringing weapons to bear. The Terat female looks annoyed, but fings herself down the corridor away from the troopers (& their powerful guns) & towards the flames. The troopers - unaware of the presence of Mike & Derek - prepare to fill the tunnel with as much firepower as possible... ::nervous

Tokyo:

"It's the adult equivalent of the slap on the wrist. It helps prevent whatever happened from happening again and it helps the detainee think about what he or she did and mature a little."

"Statistics on prisoner reform - or lack of the same - would disagree with you, Terry. Better punishments can be found."

"I'm the exception in eating for the enjoyment of it among novas I think. Most Novas I know eat almost constantly. You're right about the us novas not being numerous enough for generalisations. Purely for the sake of argument though, I know several solitary baselines as well...  "

PathFinder smiles,

"Touché, Terry." ::smile

"They failed because they don't have the same capacity to change the world that we do."

"They failed to even use what limited capacities they did possess."

"I never would've injured a baseline. Geryon acted without any regard to the consequences of his act. Again, what did he gain for the cause? Nothing."

"You can't say that Geryon acted without regard for the consequences - you don't know him. He gained much for the 'cause', as you insist on calling it. Geryon's actions spurred the whole Teragen to action - forced Novas to make hard descisions which they'd been trying to avoid. He seperated the hangers-on, the poseurs, those who claimed allegiance to the Teragen as if it was the latest trend, from the real Terats. The chaff has gone, now only the wheat remains - or, at least, now we know who is chaff & who is wheat. I'd say that was ample gain for the 'cause'. Not to mention that it was also the morally right thing to do - acting to protect the One Race."

"They can do that?"

"Utopia has access to Novas & their powers, as well as their own Nova inventors, & all that so-called 'BlackTech' which they steal from others. Do you think they don't use any of those things?"

"Well, at least you keep it interesting..."

The Japanese Nova - 'Kou', Terry recalls from various news stories - watches the couple in her telekinetic 'bubble' for a few moments, then glances behind her. Seeing that the way to the front of the restaurant is clear of bystanders, she gestures towards the street. Suddenly Terry & PathFinder, still surrounded by the golden flames, are lifted & flung unceremoniously out of the front window of the sushi place (already cracked due to Terry's earlier display of power, & now shattered).

Landing in a heap in the street outside, Terry notices that there doesn't appear to be any traffic. Looking around he sees that the local police are keeping the civillians back in a large radius, & that several Novas clad in costumes similar in design to Kou's have surrounded him & his terrorist date. A handsome & athletic looking young Japanese man with the front of his hair dyed bright orange stands in a karate stance in front of the ex-police officer - bright flames surrounding his fists. To his side is a rather petite woman, with long hair dyed electric blue, who holds a Naginata in her hands like an expert - small electric sparks dance across the weapon's blade. On the other side towers a huge man, at least twelve feet tall, & heavily muscled - massive arms folded across his expansive chest, & a stripe of green dyed into his hair. The final figure hovers several meters above Terry & PathFinder - a beauty of a girl (if Terry's being honest she's even better looking than his date - although no Janet Thorne... ::wink ) with angelic wings that appear to be formed from nothing but a pale pink light. Her long hair is dyed pink, & a pink-tinted visor comes down over her eyes & nose, similar in shape to the beak of a bird of prey. Kou steps out of the restaurant, & police hurry to close the circle & keep the civillians inside out of harm's way.

Speaking in English, Kou points towards the two Novas - captive under a dome of golden flames,

"We are Nippontai, Japan's best, & by the authority invested in us by the government of these islands, you are under arrest for acts of terrorism against the Japanese people."

Marrakesh:

Without another word, the stranger disappears down the alleyway, heading to the hotel listed in Andy's wallet. As he approaches, the man's clothing shifts, reverting to the disguise he used when he first arrived in Marrakesh.

Approaching the Hotel La Mamounia on the Avenue Bab Jdid The Stranger sees several police cars & jeeps parked outside the impressive Arabic / Art Deco -style building. The local police - clad in shorts, short-sleeved shirts, & peaked caps - carry submachineguns, & are trying to keep the pedestrian traffic moving outside the building (& reporters out of the lobby). From the snatches of conversation the Nova picks-up, it appears as though there's been a fight between two 'demons' (he presumes Novas) in the hotel, which caused some damage, & a lot of panic.

The Japanese Nova - 'Kou', Terry recalls from various news stories - watches the couple in her telekinetic 'bubble' for a few moments, then glances behind her. Seeing that the way to the front of the restaurant is clear of bystanders, she gestures towards the street. Suddenly Terry & PathFinder, still surrounded by the golden flames, are lifted & flung unceremoniously out of the front window of the sushi place (already cracked due to Terry's earlier display of power, & now shattered).

Landing in a heap in the street outside, Terry notices that there doesn't appear to be any traffic. Looking around he sees that the local police are keeping the civillians back in a large radius, & that several Novas clad in costumes similar in design to Kou's have surrounded him & his terrorist date. A handsome & athletic looking young Japanese man with the front of his hair dyed bright orange stands in a karate stance in front of the ex-police officer - bright flames surrounding his fists. To his side is a rather petite woman, with long hair dyed electric blue, who holds a Naginata in her hands like an expert - small electric sparks dance across the weapon's blade. On the other side towers a huge man, at least twelve feet tall, & heavily muscled - massive arms folded across his expansive chest, & a stripe of green dyed into his hair. The final figure hovers several meters above Terry & PathFinder - a beauty of a girl (if Terry's being honest she's even better looking than his date - although no Janet Thorne...  ) with angelic wings that appear to be formed from nothing but a pale pink light. Her long hair is dyed pink, & a pink-tinted visor comes down over her eyes & nose, similar in shape to the beak of a bird of prey. Kou steps out of the restaurant, & police hurry to close the circle & keep the civillians inside out of harm's way.

Speaking in English, Kou points towards the two Novas - captive under a dome of golden flames,

"We are Nippontai, Japan's best, & by the authority invested in us by the government of these islands, you are under arrest for acts of terrorism against the Japanese people."

Terry looks to the side at Pathfinder laying beside him, the firedome holding them fast in place on the ground.

"Are you alright?"

Looking at Kou Terry responds in Japanese in an annoyed yet polite tone

"You could've just asked Kou, Nippontai's hospitality is lacking to say the least. I gladly would've followed you had you shown me the least bit of courteousy."

Edited since I've been told that the dome kept Terry and Pathfinder on the ground and that he couldn't stand up.

Approaching the Hotel La Mamounia on the Avenue Bab Jdid The Stranger sees several police cars & jeeps parked outside the impressive Arabic / Art Deco -style building. The local police - clad in shorts, short-sleeved shirts, & peaked caps - carry submachineguns, & are trying to keep the pedestrian traffic moving outside the building (& reporters out of the lobby). From the snatches of conversation the Nova picks-up, it appears as though there's been a fight between two 'demons' (he presumes Novas) in the hotel, which caused some damage, & a lot of panic.

Frustrated, The Stranger, now in civilian garb, heads a few streets away, then hails a taxi. While walking, he checks his cellphone and sees Derek's earlier text messages: "Where are you? Pathfinder has collected me. Am going to see Natalia. Reply with current location if you wish to join us." "Am in Will's Hotel Room, in (insert-hotelname+cityname-here). Pathfinder would appreciate it if people could get to the room so she can save her energy for Terry later."

*Damnit.* Quickly thumbing in Derek's number, he calls and waits for an answer.

"According to this your pal Blaze hasn't moved for quite some time. I'll assign a team."

"Damnit, we must have passed without seeing him, that whole invisible thing that Mike does is kinda distracting... Mike and Derek! they were with me in the tunnel before I ran on ahead, they're invisible!"

Glancing again at the display he taps a few more icons, & mutters into his ear-piece comm'. Then the frown intensifies,

"The nearest team is Colonal Masters', but they're not responding. Thermals indicate that Glacier is in the area, as well as what looks like a large aberrant - this could mean trouble."

"Colonel Masters? *The old goat has his entire family in on this!* ::dontgetit Last I saw Glacier was on a rampage charging back towards the complext, he was trying to take down Eel".

"Any chance you're up for a few more heroics, kid?"

Will shakes his head "I'm totally drained, but I'll see what I can do. You have a fast way to get me back to the tunnels?".

With a mighty surge of strength, Glacier manages to force himself free of the eel-woman's coils. Eel herself looks poised to attack again, when a ten-man squad of MI troopers runs round the corner of the tunnel, behind the invisible group. The troopers skid to a halt at the sight of the two Novas (& the impassible flames beyond), quickly bringing weapons to bear. The Terat female looks annoyed, but fings herself down the corridor away from the troopers (& their powerful guns) & towards the flames.

Snarling, Glacier bounds after Eel, ignoring the Masters soldiers.

[Prof, if she goes through the fire it's your call whether he follows her or not, I don't know whether his fear of it is greater than his fury, though I would say not.]

Assuming Mike recognizes that these are in fact MI troops;

The wall of flames seems to circle the figure of Eel and totally engulf her... At the same time Derek and Mike become visible as Mike pushes Derek down to the ground, in case the troops are a little quick to fire. If Glacier seems ready to attack Derek, Mike, or the guards a wall of flame erupts in front of him...

• 2 weeks later...

With his call to Derek sent to voicemail, The Stranger hangs up and ponders his next move. A decision switfly made, he sits back and seems to relax, allowing the driver to continue to the airport. Upon arrival, he makes his way back to the terminal, and makes the necessary arrangements to leave. His paperwork completed, he waits patiently until his plane is refueled and inspected; placing a call to Kane in the interim.

Tokyo:

"Are you alright?"

PathFinder nods - although she looks a little shaken, & has a nasty looking cut across her knee from where she impacted the road outside the restaurant.

"You could've just asked Kou, Nippontai's hospitality is lacking to say the least. I gladly would've followed you had you shown me the least bit of courteousy."

Kou stands with her hands on her hips, taking a moment to frown at the figures trapped beneath her dome of translucent, cool, golden telekinetic fire,

"Our priority is the protection of the Japan's public, not your wounded pride. You've illegally entered our country, are in the company of a wanted terrorist, & are suspect in a seismic disturbance earlier this evening. Knowing the history of this city, I'm sure you realise the seriousness of such a reckless display of power?"

Before the Japanese Nova can say anything further, there's a sudden shift in the local gravity fields, as a circle of warped space opens directly beneath Terry & PathFinder, & the two fall through!..

... Half a kilometer across the city, the two exit the warp as they tumble onto the roof of one of Tokyo's many skyscrapers. Terry insantly closes the gravity-twisting shortcut across space-time as PathFinder moves her rather ripped dress away from her damaged knee & winces. Standing, Terry can already see the shape of pale-pink angelic wings rising swiftly into the city sky & darting in his direction; followed, at a more sedate, but still rapid, pace by a sphere of golden flames.

Marrakesh:

The Stranger's call to Kane is answered within moments,

"Yes?"

The Horus:

"I'm totally drained, but I'll see what I can do. You have a fast way to get me back to the tunnels?"

The tech' gives a half-smile,

"I thought 'fast' was what you did, kid? If you can't get to them then tell me now - we've got limited resources down there & our people on the ground need me to tell them where they're most needed."

Harvester Tunnels:

Spotting the MI logo on the troopers' armour, Mike allows himself & Derek to become visible. The squad of armoured men hold their fire at a rapidly barked command & hand-signal from their leader - whether they're shocked at the appearance of the two Novas or not is hard to tell behind the the helmets.

Meanwhile Glacier charges after Eel - his primal wish to survive battling his his all-encompasing rage & loosing - sending him headlong into the roaring flames. Flames which, as Mike glances back in that direction, surge in intensity & move to engulf the two battling Novas. Eel screams & thrashes as the fires surround & cover her. Glacier has never felt such intense heat before - burning right through his chill anima & charring the flesh from his bones! Within moments both Novas are consumed & fall motionless to the cavern floor.

The MI troopers gaze towards the flame-engulfed fallen Novas, their weapons lowering as if they were almost forgotten. A whispered comment from one of the troopers drifts to Mike & Derek's ears,

"Holy sh!t - did you see that?.." ::nervous

... Half a kilometer across the city, the two exit the warp as they tumble onto the roof of one of Tokyo's many skyscrapers. Terry insantly closes the gravity-twisting shortcut across space-time as PathFinder moves her rather ripped dress away from her damaged knee & winces. Standing, Terry can already see the shape of pale-pink angelic wings rising swiftly into the city sky & darting in his direction; followed, at a more sedate, but still rapid, pace by a sphere of golden flames.

Terry helps Pathfinder up and holds her close to him

"Well darling, it seems like we're unwelcome here."

The two tumble through a gravitic rip beneath them only to find themselves in an underground parking lot.

"How 'bout my room?"

Terry raises his arms and the air before him shimmers and forms a huge black hole. A white speck appears in the middle only to grow in an instant revealing a luxurious room.

"After you..."

Terry bows and quickly follows. He throws one last gaze through the portal as he closes it behind him. Terry has Pathfinder sit on the huge bed of his hotel room as he looks at her knee.

"That's quite a scrape you have there. I'll have it cleaned in no time, there must be a first aid kit somewhere around here...you know, maybe next time you should warn me ahead of time of whether or not you're wanted in the country I'm taking you out in." ::sly

Terry starts looking for a first aid kit in the washroom in the absence of which he'll call room service for a kit...with strawberries and champagne of course. ::wink

The MI troopers gaze towards the flame-engulfed fallen Novas, their weapons lowering as if they were almost forgotten. A whispered comment from one of the troopers drifts to Mike & Derek's ears,

"Holy sh!t - did you see that?.."

Mike quickly gets up and points at the closest troops,

"You, come with me now and keep your weapon trained on them..."

He rushes over to the badly charred bodies of Glacier and Eel, holds his hands slightly over them, and suddenly a golden light starts emanating from his hands and then slowly engulfs them both... Where the light touches, the burns seem to heal...

"They'll be okay, I've taken care of their burns, but they're still gonna be out a while from the physical trauma. I suggest you guys grab Glacier and get him out of here, your call if you want to take that (pointing to Eel) with us for questioning or not."

Noticing the stunned look on Derek and the others,

"Unfortunantely I can only heal damage done from my own flames, at least for now..."

"I thought 'fast' was what you did, kid? If you can't get to them then tell me now - we've got limited resources down there & our people on the ground need me to tell them where they're most needed."

"It is what I do, but like I said I'm drained. If you have a quick way for me to get there I can help your men out in anyway they need me to. In an immergency, like now with getting Natallia out, I can call on extra power but at a serious hit to my body. Using any energy now will achieve nothing except make me useless come my reaching your men. No fast way to get me there, then I'll stay outside and, heh! guard the ship, it's your call".

Tokyo:

Although targeting the unseen & unvisted underground parking of the building is slightly more challenging than creating a warp to a place he can see or has been, Terry has little trouble in doing so; he & PathFinder 'fall' through the 'hole' just as the most beautiful member of Nippontai reaches the rooftop they were on, carried on her wings of light. As the warp closes, the ex-policeman fancies he hears some rather un-lady-like comments from the young Nova.

Not willing to give the Japanese Novas any more opportunity to catch-up, Terry takes the time & effort needed to creat a space-twisting gravity-distortion to his hotel room. The few locals in the parking lot stop & stare at the appearance, & exit, of the two Novas - one even manages to bring his tiny palm-held digital video-camera up to catch the pair on film. PathFinder leans on Terry as she heads through the warp, but manages to turn & blow a kiss at the camera as she does so. ::wub

"That's quite a scrape you have there. I'll have it cleaned in no time, there must be a first aid kit somewhere around here...you know, maybe next time you should warn me ahead of time of whether or not you're wanted in the country I'm taking you out in."

Sitting back on the bed, the Terat woman grins,

"It may be easier to just give you a list of the countries who don't consider me a criminal." ::wink

Terry soon returns with the first aid kit, & starts to patch PathFinder's damaged knee. She winces a few times, but comments,

"I'm a Nova, so I'm tougher than your avarege baseline, & heal quicker, but I lack what you might call any real 'combat defenses'. Also, after transporting your friends here, there, & everywhere, I was too tired to escape myself. So, you saved me Terry. Thankyou."

She finishes talking as Terry finishes cleaning & dressing her knee. Leaning close, she grabs the ex-policeman, draws him close, kisses him passionately - then keeps kissing him as she draws him down onto the bed with her...

Harvester Tunnels:

"You, come with me now and keep your weapon trained on them..."

The squad leader takes a moment to assess the situation, then nods, & details three of his men to accompany Mike (with clipped orders & handsigns), whilst he & the others proceed further down the tunnel & into the room where the other squad of troopers lays on the ground.

"They'll be okay, I've taken care of their burns, but they're still gonna be out a while from the physical trauma. I suggest you guys grab Glacier and get him out of here, your call if you want to take that (pointing to Eel) with us for questioning or not."

The troopers glance over the two fallen Novas, then one shakes his head & replies,

"Sorry, sir, the Terat is far too big for us to move in the time we have. Glacier isn't heavy, according to the information we have, but I'm not sure how long our armour can stand up to that freezing anima surrounding his body. Are either of you gentlemen," he nods at both Mike & Derek, "especially resisilient?"

Marrakesh:

"This is Stranger. I'm calling to check the status of our little retrieval. What can you tell me?"

There's a slight pause, then Kane replies,

"It is less a case of what I can tell you, & more a case of what I need to tell you. Maybe if you told me what you were doing & what you have achieved, then I could more accurately assess exactly what you need to know."

The Horus:

"It is what I do, but like I said I'm drained. If you have a quick way for me to get there I can help your men out in anyway they need me to. In an immergency, like now with getting Natallia out, I can call on extra power but at a serious hit to my body. Using any energy now will achieve nothing except make me useless come my reaching your men. No fast way to get me there, then I'll stay outside and, heh! guard the ship, it's your call".

The tech' allows himself a sly smile at Will's comment,

"Hah! 'Guard the ship' - I heard that Mr Masters was teaching how to do things, I guess some of it's rubbed off already! It's unusual for you Nova-types to show that degree of commen sense though, especially young guys like you.... Hold on, I'm getting a report..."

The tech' proceeds to key in a few instructions & mutter over the comm', then turns back to Will,

"Okay, panic's over - another squad has reached Colonel Masters & are bringing her & her people out now. They're trying to decide how to get Glacier out with that damned 'cold zone' of his - after that, we blow the base."

Are either of you gentlemen," he nods at both Mike & Derek, "especially resisilient?"

Derek looks up at the trooper, face bloodied, obviously in pain. He looks quite surprised at, well, not being grabbed, or similar....

"I'm not...... normally..... Should Mike be unable to help, I can. But I don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to stay concious....."

"It is less a case of what I can tell you, & more a case of what I need to tell you. Maybe if you told me what you were doing & what you have achieved, then I could more accurately assess exactly what you need to know."

Noting Kane's pause, The Stranger speaks casually, but begins a mental countdown to time how long he's on the phone.

"I have been investigating some alternate ways to retrieve Natalia without granting the Teragen the book they want. However, as Derek paged me with a message that he already had the book, and was in Pathfinder's company, I thought it best to call. I tried calling Derek but he didn't answer, so I'm calling you."

Regardless of Kane's answer, The Stranger will hang up immediately when his internal countdown indicates the best time to avoid his call being traced.

"Okay, panic's over - another squad has reached Colonel Masters & are bringing her & her people out now.

"So which Masters is the Colonel? ::crazy It's not Mrs Masters!".

They're trying to decide how to get Glacier out with that damned 'cold zone' of his - after that, we blow the base."

In response to the techs coments on Glacier "Yeah he can be a handful... Wait you guys managed to take down the bear, without killing John? Thank God for that". A confused look comes over Will, "Aren't we missing someone in all this? I don't imagine Blaze would be left out on a mission to assualt a Nova base, so where the hell is he? ::unsure ".

She finishes talking as Terry finishes cleaning & dressing her knee. Leaning close, she grabs the ex-policeman, draws him close, kisses him passionately - then keeps kissing him as she draws him down onto the bed with her...

[A telepath + a graceful gravity controlling nova with mega-stamina = long night not soon forgotten...well, unless the telepath wanted the night to be forgotten but why would she? ::unsure Needless to say, the rest is censored and best left to the imagination... ::wink ]

After a few moments, Derek looks up, eyes strained.

"There's...... nothing...... I can do to help here. The best bet for success, if the men are willing to do it, is the troops take turns dragging him. You'll all end up badly hurt, but if you each pull him as far as you can take the pain....... well, we might be able to get him out.....

"Other than that, I got nothing...."

::crazy

Archived