Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
in any case, it'd give him something to do other than poking & proding the girl..."

"Fine, just do me a favour and ask him to hold off his experiments for awhile. The book will come within the week, I won't like it if she's harmed. I'm not the violent type but I'm sure Glacier would love to discuss her state of health with him when we meet if it ever came to that..."

"Now... about that sushi..."

"Right, I'll wait here while you change. - Terry eyes her as she leaves before turning to Mike - I promised that girl Vance introduced you to that you'd be back with her in no time for a dance; so now's your chance. Tell the others what happened, I'm sure they'll want to know. Maybe you can help them with whatever it is they're working at. I'll call you when I meet with Derek."

Terry sips his Well while checking out the crowd.

"Right, I'll wait here while you change..."

PathFinder leans over to give Terry another passionate kiss, then slowly gets up & stretches, blows a kiss to Mike, & steps back from the table. Turning slightly, she holds up her hand - moments later a glowing disc appears in the air, then expands. Through the disc can be seen what looks like a hotel bedroom of some kind, with clothes scattered all over. With a final wink at the two Novas ::wink , she steps through the warp, which then shrinks to a point, & vanishes. The other patrons of the club don't seem to give the event much notice...

"Terry, is Pathfinder still there with you?"

"No, but I should warn you that she'll be back. I'll be, uh, keeping an eye on her for next few days. She mentioned that she was able to find Derek and the book on her own within minutes if she so desired. I hope its a bluff but I'd rather not find out. So anything you tell me, she'll know."

[Assuming Stranger decides to not say anything]

"I'll call you when I meet up with Derek."

"Understood. I'll find Holden on my own. Take care of Will and John, I won't be able to take them with me. Good luck."

The phone clicks, and goes dead.

Back in the hotel, The Stranger calls down to the front desk, making arrangements for the remaining occupied rooms and room service to be paid for through the week. He compliments the staff on their excellent service, and provides a generous tip. He apologizes that he has to leave, but wants his companions to enjoy the rest of their stay, on him.

Once finished with the necessary pleasantries, The Stranger politely asks the concierge to give a message to his friends. "Please tell them I'm sorry, but urgent personal matters called me away. Let them know I will call them soon to explain the situation."

That done, The Stranger leaps out the window and into the night...

Terry eyes her as she leaves before turning to Mike - I promised that girl Vance introduced you to that you'd be back with her in no time for a dance; so now's your chance. Tell the others what happened, I'm sure they'll want to know. Maybe you can help them with whatever it is they're working at. I'll call you when I meet with Derek."

"Right. Just keep us informed of where you are and what you're up to. We'd hate for you to get turned by Pathfinder..."

Mike gets up and starts looking around the room for Firefly. Assuming he finds her,

"So, how about that dance now?"

"Speak of the Devil..." Nate says with a smile to his female companion, before he picks up the phone.

"Nate here. Oh, hi Terry. What's happening? Ok... I see... right."

"I don't know if they've found him yet. I'm being kept a bit out of the loop here, but I do know that they're not on to you. I mean, they haven't been knocking on my door yet, anyway, and they haven't told me to report it if you call me... They asked me if I knew where Derek is, though."

"Personally, I think Kane is stalling the whole process. I think he knows, but is doing what he can to keep the other security executives from sounding the red alert. Trouble is, he's going out on a limb here, too. So you guys better hurry up."

"When are you going to see Natalia?"

"The book was in code. I told Derek I'd leave him five days to have an idea of what the book is about. My guess is we'll see Natalia in three or four days...

"Three or four days!?! ::shocked ::blink You're f*cking kidding me, right? You're gonna leave her with Dr Mengele for three days?!?!"

"You sure he can't decrypt it faster than that? Oh, crap... Has she said anything about how they're treating Natalia? Anything we have any reason to trust, I mean...?"

How's Emma holding up? Is she in the know?"

"She knows they want to exchange Natalia for the book. She's a bit worried about what Dr Maxwell could have written that they're so interested in, but says it's a lot more important to get Natalia back quickly and in one piece."

"You gotta do this faster, Terry. I'm serious. These people are sick. You know that. We have to get her back now. We just have to risk it and work harder on helping Emma control Miss Egypt."

"You sure he can't decrypt it faster than that? Oh, crap... Has she said anything about how they're treating Natalia? Anything we have any reason to trust, I mean...?"

"She hinted that Zia might experiment on her...but I asked her to warn him to stave off his impulses for a few days. I've no reason to believe she won't at least tell him I said so. We are going to see him at the exchange I presume. Besides, Pathfinder even hinted at the possibility of Derek and Zia working together. Least he could do is not harm her.

As for the book...if a terrorist group tortures a child, would you give them the plans and equipment to make a nuclear weapon? I'm not handing it over 'til I have some idea of what its all about..."

"She hinted that Zia might experiment on her...but I asked her to warn him to stave off his impulses for a few days. I've no reason to believe she won't at least tell him I said so. We are going to see him at the exchange I presume. Besides, Pathfinder even hinted at the possibility of Derek and Zia working together. Least he could do is not harm her."

"And why the hell would he care about that? These guys don't give a flying f*ck what happens to a basline girl. They're holding all the cards here, and they know it. The only thing we can do is get her out quickly. And if you trust pathfinder so much, we don't lose anything by meeting with the harvesters now, do we? Then Derek and Zia can work on the book, and we get Natalia out."

"As for the book...if a terrorist group tortures a child, would you give them the plans and equipment to make a nuclear weapon? I'm not handing it over 'til I have some idea of what its all about..."

"Yes I would. making a nuclear weapon takes time. We can deal with that problem later. Besides, if you know what's in it and decide not to give it up anyway, what's to stop her from picking your brains?"

"I agreed with you, Terry. I thought it was most important to keep the book from the Terats, but now I keep thinking about Natalia. You gonna sacrifice her for this? I don't know if you care about it, but I think you should meet the harvesters ASAP. I know Emma agrees with me on this too. Think about it for a sec, Terry. Think about Natalia coming back ruined for life, or not coming back at all, because you waited too long. Can you live with that? I don't think I can."

"Yes I would. making a nuclear weapon takes time. We can deal with that problem later. Besides, if you know what's in it and decide not to give it up anyway, what's to stop her from picking your brains?",,

"That's ridiculous Nate. If Kane believes Masters wouldn't exchange the book for his own granddaughter, don't you think its worth knowing why? I've also just learned that you agreed to exchange the book for just a chance to see Natalia, not bring her back. So to rephrase, if a terrorist group tortures a child, would you give them the plans and equipment to make a nuclear weapon as well as leaving them the child? Besides, I don't know where Derek is. If I did she'd already know as well. Derek should call in three days, we'll worry then."

The Amp Room:

It doesn't take long for Mike to locate Firefly - now that the foam & most of the patrons are grounded she's one of the few Novas who are dancing in the air via their own powers. She's also glowing...

"So, how about that dance now?"

The T2Mer looks down at Mike, & puts on a mock-frown,

"Well, I'm not used to be rejected in favour of the company of known Teragen members... But we're not allowed to bring politics into the club, so I guess I have to dance with you. Oh well, the things we heroines have to do..." ::wink

With that, she glides gently down & into the layer of foam, her powers causing the white substance around her to glow in a variety of colours. Alighting in front of Mike, she slips her hands around his shoulders & pulls him further onto the dance floor, a smile on her lips as she does so... ::bigsmile

Fleabag Motel:

Derek returns to his latest motel room, a bag containing a ream of blank paper under his arm. As he starts to concentrate on creating the tools he's going to need, he feels another presence slip gently into his mind...

... a few moments later, a glowing disc appears in the corner of the room, expanding until the Nova genius can see a bedroom beyond the warp - & PathFinder! The Teragen woman steps through the disc, that shrinks to a point & vanishes behind her. She's wearing her hair up, & is clothed in a rather fetching white-silk evening dress that reaches to her ankles, & is slit up one leg; she also sports white high-heels. As she steps into Derek's room she finishes fastening a diamond earing to her ear. Smiling ::smile at the silver-tinged Nova she gives a twirl & asks,

"So, do you think Terry will like this? We're going for sushi in Tokyo."

Pausing a moment, she glances around the room, taking in the squalor & 'roaches, then shakes her head,

"Really, Interface, I'd be the first to advocate your rebellion against Masters, but don't you think this is taking things a little too far? With your talents couldn't you even take the time to fix the place up a bit?"

She shakes her head again, then gives a sly smile ::sly ,

"No need to worry though - the Harvesters may generally live in sewers & the like, but Zia has some nice rooms at his place. You've been studying the book, I'm sure Dr Zia will be interested to find out what you've learnt, & to pool his resources with yours. In any case, Terry & Mike are worried about the girl's safety, & I'm pretty certain that Zia isn't going to wait until you've finished your own work on the book before he starts with the needles & scalpels. So, why don't you come with me, & save us all a lot of bother. You'll get to work on the book, the boys will get to visit Natalia, everyone will be happy, ok?"

he feels another presence slip gently into his mind...

::blink

::blink

Thoughts: Ur?

... a few moments later, a glowing disc appears in the corner of the room, expanding until the Nova genius can see a bedroom beyond the warp - & PathFinder! The Teragen woman steps through the disc, that shrinks to a point & vanishes behind her. She's wearing her hair up, & is clothed in a rather fetching white-silk evening dress that reaches to her ankles, & is slit up one leg; she also sports white high-heels. As she steps into Derek's room she finishes fastening a diamond earing to her ear. Smiling  at the silver-tinged Nova she gives a twirl & asks,

"So, do you think Terry will like this? We're going for sushi in Tokyo."

A small shriek escapes Derek's lips, before he manages to clamp them down.

Oh bugger oh bugger oh bugger oh bugger

"Really, Interface, I'd be the first to advocate your rebellion against Masters, but don't you think this is taking things a little too far? With your talents couldn't you even take the time to fix the place up a bit?"

Regaining some self-control, Derek mumbles, half to himself:

"..... I wasn't going to be here long, I was gonna be gone in the morning....."

She's right. It's a mess. I could change it. I could change it all. Why didn't I change it? I've GOT to pay attention. What's she saying now? Is she going to kill me? I don't want to die, I'm just trying to help. Focus focus focus focus

I'm pretty certain that Zia isn't going to wait until you've finished your own work on the book before he starts with the needles & scalpels.

Hmm... He would experiment blindly? Such lacking in professionalism. The girl.... What girl..... Oh. Natalia.

Concern etches itself onto Interface's metallic face.

Probable outcome of attack against Pathfinder: Pathfinder flees, finds allies, finds me again, kills me and takes book. Probable outcome of subterfuge: Pathfinder will know. Probable outcome of destruction of book: Death or disfigurement of Natalia. Probable outcome of cooperation: Loss of job (near-certainty at this point), possible jail sentence (also near certainty). Alienation of allies. Acceptable.

So, why don't you come with me, & save us all a lot of bother. You'll get to work on the book, the boys will get to visit Natalia, everyone will be happy, ok?"

Interface visibly calms, a decision reached.

"I concur. If you'll give me just a few minutes to finish up. I was in the process of making some copies of the book. Might you permit me the time to complete that? Then I will cooperate fully."

Choices reduced to 1, fate accepted. Masters must be faced. With Natalia.

"I concur. If you'll give me just a few minutes to finish up. I was in the process of making some copies of the book. Might you permit me the time to complete that? Then I will cooperate fully."

PathFinder shrugs,

"I guess, if you want - although I'm pretty sure I saw a photocopier in Zia's office, & I don't want to keep Terry waiting... Actually, come to think of it, couldn't you just 'create' a copy now that you've read the thing? I thought all you Nova-genius types had amazing memories?"

"I guess, if you want - although I'm pretty sure I saw a photocopier in Zia's office, & I don't want to keep Terry waiting... Actually, come to think of it, couldn't you just 'create' a copy now that you've read the thing? I thought all you Nova-genius types had amazing memories?"

"I will be, quite literally, minutes. My memory is good, but (unfortunately) not photo-graphic. Perhaps something to work on...."

Interface then starts to concentrate.

Moments later a small, sleek, hi-tech looking photocopier materialises on the desk in front of Derek. Not long after, it's whizzing out copies of the book's pages at a rate of knots.

PathFinder looks at the machine, then turns to Derek,

"Nice trick. While we're waiting, who else do you want to go with you to visit Natalia? I'm guessing young William will want to be there, since he's got a thing for her - anyone else?"

As the printer chuggs away...

"Well, I'm pretty sure that everyone will want to be there. Possibly best not to bring Nate along. Well, best FOR Nate if he doesn't go along. Otherwise he'll get tarnished with the same brush as meself. Terry and the Stranger would likely want to go along, just to see this affair to it's conclusion. Galcier, I think, would be interested for more personal reasons.

"It's probably best to ask them directly."

Once the printer is done, Derek pays for the motel, and lets the guy at the desk know about the Photocopier, and it'll only be there for about 50-55 more minutes.... ::wink.

"Right. Ready when you are."

PathFinder waits for Derek to finish what he's doing...

"Right. Ready when you are."

The Terat glances at the stack of paper the Nova genius has in hands, & asks,

"Where to first? I'm not sure The Amp Room is the best place for all that paper right now - what with the foam & everything. Would you like to go to that hotel your friends were at, or straight to Dr Zia?"

The T2Mer looks down at Mike, & puts on a mock-frown,

"Well, I'm not used to be rejected in favour of the company of known Teragen members... But we're not allowed to bring politics into the club, so I guess I have to dance with you. Oh well, the things we heroines have to do..." 

With that, she glides gently down & into the layer of foam, her powers causing the white substance around her to glow in a variety of colours. Alighting in front of Mike, she slips her hands around his shoulders & pulls him further onto the dance floor, a smile on her lips as she does so...

Mike smiles back at her and stares into her eyes for just a moment, then gently pushes the hair off of her hair and leans forward to whisper in her ear, letting his lips touch her slightly...

"Trust me, I would have definately rather have been here with you, but sometimes duty calls. That Pathfinder is a strange one..." He lingers there for a moment, gently breathing in her ear, then pulls back and smiles...

"Where to first? I'm not sure The Amp Room is the best place for all that paper right now - what with the foam & everything. Would you like to go to that hotel your friends were at, or straight to Dr Zia?"

"Well, you mentioned Tokyo before. Or the hotel would be ideal, as they likely have mail facilities."

The Amp Room:

"Trust me, I would have definately rather have been here with you, but sometimes duty calls. That Pathfinder is a strange one..."

Firefly smiles at Mike's oozing charm,

"Why, aren't we just the silver-tongued devil..."

Suddenly, on impulse, the young T2Mer kisses Mike passionately ::wub , then leans back, & muses,

"Yes... silver-tongued indeed..."

Motel:

"Well, you mentioned Tokyo before..."

PathFinder shakes her head,

"No - Tokyo's just for Terry & me. I'm pretty sure he won't want a chaperone... In any case, your friends are all in Ibiza - well, a lot of them anyway."

"... Or the hotel would be ideal, as they likely have mail facilities."

The Terat grins,

"Going to let the world know about Masters' secret little book are you? Good for you."

With a slight hand gesture from PathFinder a glowing disc appears, then expands until a hotel bedroom can be seen beyond - as well as Will sitting on a rather ancient & worn-out looking bed, with the young man looking quite tired himself. The Teragen woman stands to one side & says to Derek,

"After you..."

Seeing the disk apear in his room Will tenses untill he notices Derek walking through (and not seeing Virus around) he relaxes and lies back down*Pathfinder... Riiiiiiight*

Derek steps into the room. Grabbing the sleeping Will by the left big toe, he shakes vigorously....

"I'm up Derek, infact I never went to sleep..." getting up he bigins to dust himself off "What the hell did I do to this bed?". looking up to see Pathfinder...

"Hello Pathfinder dressed to 'kill' I see... So I take it Terry and Mike failed to convice you to do the right thing and spare Natalia the injection in the back of her neck, your friends are going to give her?" almost too tired to care about Pathfinders lack of interest in human life, the young nova wipes the sweat off his brow then turns to Derek "So are you being brought here or are we leaving?"

"That's ridiculous Nate. If Kane believes Masters wouldn't exchange the book for his own granddaughter, don't you think its worth knowing why?"

"Wake up, Terry. Kane let this pass to spare Masters the choice of..."

"I've also just learned that you agreed to exchange the book for just a chance to see Natalia, not bring her back. So to rephrase, if a terrorist group tortures a child, would you give them the plans and equipment to make a nuclear weapon as well as leaving them the child?"

"That was the best deal we could get, and it was made at the time when Pathfinder was still pretending Natalia was there of her own free will. The deal was to see her, and Natalia would be allowed to decide for herself. Don't automatically assume reality is like Pathfinder describes it, Terry. You know better than that."

"Besides, I don't know where Derek is. If I did she'd already know as well. Derek should call in three days, we'll worry then."

"You mean you can't even contact him? ::blink Aww, Jeez... Ok, whatever, Terry. You do that. I have been worrying for a while already, but suit yourself. See ya."

*Click*

"I'm up Derek, infact I never went to sleep..." getting up he bigins to dust himself off "What the hell did I do to this bed?".

"Heh... indeed...."

"...."

"Actually....."

Derek peers closely at the bed.

While examining the bed, Derek mutters, distracted:

"So, Will. I'm off to see Natalia. Coming?"

And absentmindly sends a text to all "the guys" (including Will, Derek's not really paying attention):

"Where are you? Pathfinder has collected me. Am going to see Natalia. Reply with current location if you wish to join us."

"Of course I'm coming, you mind waiting a few minutes for me to wash this dust off? I don't want to see Nat looking like this..." if there's no objections, he gets up and heads for the bathroom, grabing his Eufibre and his phone on the way.

"You should probably call Nate and let him know what's going on. Pathfinder, make yourself at home ::sarcasm ..." he says slaming the bathroom, only alittle harder than he intended.

"You mean you can't even contact him?  Aww, Jeez... Ok, whatever, Terry. You do that. I have been worrying for a while already, but suit yourself. See ya."

*Click*

Terry manages to keep his cool as he wonders if he's the only one who sees humanity as the prime consideration. Doesn't make the choice easy but then if no one else does he, at least, will.

"Where are you? Pathfinder has collected me. Am going to see Natalia. Reply with current location if you wish to join us."

Terry thinks upon turn of fate where his always dead phone is now more active than ever. Reading the message he grins and shakes his head slowly from side to side.

"Touché, my dear..."

PathFinder listens patiently to Will's comments, a half-smile playing on her lips ::sly . As the young Nova heads off to get washed-up, the Terat turns to Derek,

"Ask them to join us here, would you? I'd like a little energy left for Terry later on..." ::wink

Mike leans forward again, "hmmm, I have to say this Nova life isn't too bad... So, how long have you been doing the hero thing..?"

Firefly smiles ::smile ,

"A while... but we're not meant to be here to talk business..."

With that she moves slightly away from Mike, hovering just above the layer of foam, for all to see, & letting herself go with the flow of the Novox music. She grins ::biggrin down towards her dance partner, & gestures for him to join her...

"A while... but we're not meant to be here to talk business..."

"Fair enough..."

With that she moves slightly away from Mike, hovering just above the layer of foam, for all to see, & letting herself go with the flow of the Novox music. She grins  down towards her dance partner, & gestures for him to join her...

Mike moves toward the undulating nova and extends his hand, letting her pull him up...

"Ask them to join us here, would you? I'd like a little energy left for Terry later on..." 

Glancing up from the bed, a look of "oh-so-THAT'S-what's-going-on" on his face, Derek absent-mindedly starts to tap out a text message, the stops.

"Um..... Where *exactly* are we? I suppose "Will's room" will likely be sufficient."

He has a quick scan of the room, looking for Hotel 'stuff' (menus and the like), and gets the location of one of those.

Again, a text message goes out to 'all the guys' (bar Will this time):

"Am in Will's Hotel Room, in (insert-hotelname+cityname-here). Pathfinder would appreciate it if people could get to the room so she can save her energy for Terry later."

Derek sends the message, still thinking about something. Stops. Realisation dawns. Rechecks his message.

::blush

Sends out a second message.

"Oops. Sorry Terry."

Mike moves toward the undulating nova and extends his hand, letting her pull him up...

Firefly looks blankly at Mike's hand for a few moments ::blink , then grins,

"Oh", she exclaims (a little too loudly - several other dancers turn to see what she's talking about), "you can't fly - I'm sorry, I didn't know..."

Somehow her tone of voice manages to make the comment sound as if Mike was impotent... ::devil

The T2Mer giggles, & continues to dance in the air.

... a look of "oh-so-THAT'S-what's-going-on" on his face...

"Not yet", comments PathFinder, "but the night's still young..." ::sly

"Not yet", comments PathFinder, "but the night's still young

Derek looks quite confused at Pathfinder's comment. Takes a moment.

"..... ah.... Right so...."

(OC: Derek only got the comment now, 'cause I only got the comment now. The look on Derek's face was due to dawning realisation of "something else". Entirely. ::wink)

Eventually, Will is all cleaned up & in his eufiber, & emerges from the bathroom. PathFinder pointedly looks at the clock by his bed, then glances from Derek to Will & back again with her all-white eyes,

"Is this it? I was under the impression that half of Masters International wanted to go see the little girl, but if it's just you two, then let's get going. Interface, have you done all the posting you wanted to? Got the book? Then if there are no other takers..."

Turning slightly she raises a hand towards an open area of the bedroom - a bright pinprick of light rapidly expands into a disc, & 'opens' to reveal a cavern of some sort beyond - a rough hewn 'corridor' by the looks of things, about three meters high & across, with electric lights strung down the middle of the ceiling. At the end of the corridor - the way the warp opens onto it at least - is a 'T' junction. PathFinder smiles at the two Novas & says,

"Don't worry - I 'called' ahead to tell them you were coming. So, if you'd like to get going, gentlemen, I have a date with a certain Gravitoman..." ::sly

"Is this it? I was under the impression that half of Masters International wanted to go see the little girl, but if it's just you two, then let's get going. Interface, have you done all the posting you wanted to? Got the book? Then if there are no other takers..."

Derek looks slightly bemused.

"Well..... You and me both. Looks like just myself and Will in that case. And yes, I'm all done and ready to go."

"Don't worry - I 'called' ahead to tell them you were coming. So, if you'd like to get going, gentlemen, I have a date with a certain Gravitoman..."

Just as Derek steps through:

"Um...... And how do we get back?"

PathFinder grins & says in a sinister whisper,

"Who says you're coming back..." ::devil

Then holds up her hands & laughs ::laugh ,

"Sorry - joking. I couldn't resist. Don't worry about transport - the guys know how to get hold of me, & I'd be happy to help out again. Just... well, leave Terry & I some time to enjoy to ourselves, ok?" ::wink

Stepping through the warp, Derek feels a drop in temperature & an increase in moisture. The walls & floor of the cave-like tunnel are slick, but not so much so that they're dangerous. The Nova scientist knows full-well that a dry cave would be unstable & likely to crumble, so he's not too surprised. A close examination of the walls, however, is a little surprising, as it looks very much like they've been carved out with some kind of claws...

Suddenly, there's a slithering noise from beyond the junction ahead, & strangely shaped shadows, caught in the electric light's glare, move along the wall... ::blink

Archived