Criminal situation

ezekiel

Hey there everyone,

I need to prepare a hypothetical criminal case that isn't too technical that ideally involves 6 to 8 witnesses. This has to be done by tuesday next week (the 1st of october I think) so any ideas would be appreciated. Keep in mind that this WILL be presented before real judges in a real court room. It's a practice moot for students.

It can be based on real-life situations, newspaper articles you've read etc.

Oh, I'm also to play witness in this case and will be interviewed by four students next tuesday...So I need to make myself some background or something...See? Role-playing skills CAN be useful in real life situations!

(just thought I'd give the EON community a try...)

That would actually be perfect! I need something that can be resolved quickly and this could just be it. I'd post it here once it's done...but it's for a "français juridique" class. Meaning this is to teach students to use french legal terms (I'm on exchange from a Québec law school to Ontario) I'll have to read up again on a few hit & run cases now... ::dozingoff

Btw, I just saw "Road to Perdition". Good movie and great to get in the mood for Adventure! (well, to get a feel for the setting anyway, not quite a giddy pulp story...)

Thanks again Harle! You'd think I could've thought of something like this on my own but I'm soaking in tech law right now, my mind isn't on the right wavelength. (and it's lacking sleep to boot! )  ::crazy  ::baaa  ::alien

a fun thing to throw into senerios is the little things that make it believable. (i.e. why did the defendant run?) A good reason might be driving with a suspended licence. Also if you throw in a couple of minor injuries it makes the whole thing seem really believable. Maybe the person hit experienced some minor muscle bruising. Or maybe the accident caused them to go into shock and to esperience breathing problems thus they now have hospital bills that they wan't the defendant to pay for. I don't know exactly how in depth this is supposed to be but those are some ideas that I might throw into a senerio I was putting on.

-Paxs Pimp

Yup, I'll have to look into that...

Maybe even just a hit and run to property, like a parked motorcycle or something...I don't want to have a witness have to make up/look up a whole lot of medical info or something...:P

I'll think of something...The driving without a license is good. I was wondering how I could justify a hit and run without alcohol (drunk driving gets technical and boring in court...)

Thanks again!

*sigh* I'll start working on it tomorrow. I meant to do it tonight but something came up... ::halo

Maybe the driver was asleep at the wheel or was otherwise unaware of the hit and run. It could have been one of those freaky sleepwalkers that act out their dreams in a trance like stuper. Or some out of it elderly person to stubborn to give up their car even through they are no longer fit to drive.

Spider

one word, cellphone... they make the driver just as likely as a drunk to crash...

person, on a cell phone trying to work out something with a friend/family member, didn't see the person in the cross walk in front of a grocery store. hit them, not too hard, (about 10 mph/6 kph) but enough for light abrasions and deformity <--- medical terms meaning scrapes and brusies, the vitcim did not need to go to the hostpital. several witnesses got the licsence plate. the driver was late renewing their license and so legally shouldn't have been driving, or didn't have insurance hence the involvment of the court. that work?

all that actually happened to a friend of mine, she was pissed to say the least. and if you need any medical terms other than the above, pax is an EMT student and could tell you what you need to know, and if he's busy i've picked up enough to fake it well. ::halo

harle one correction. Deformity isn't bruising. that is contusions. deformity is simple what it implies that area of the body is deformed in some way or another. (i.e. broken bone)

other than that the whole medical stuff would be pretty simple due to the mechanism of injury; if your only concern is coming up with the stuff than i can definatly help. look me up on aim or e-mail me if you are interested. you can find both of those bits of info in my personal profile.

-Paxs Pimp

Actually I'm writing the scenario for a bunch of students who will play either defense or prosecution.

I'm the accused..:)

Which means I need to write myself a background, determine why push came to shove and improvise a lot during cross-questioning (and note my answers...) since for sure they'll think of questions I hadn't thought of.

It's not much different than GMing... :)

Well, it's done and over with...for now.

I gave the scenario (a bar fight after a slight altercation involving spilt beer in an on-campus bar)

As the accused I got an hour of interrogation, about 50 minutes by the students (4 students) and 10 by the teacher...boy can you tell the difference when an experienced lawyer asks the questions...Kinda gets on your side and meticulously extracts the answers. Had to improvise some stuff during the interrogation like: Did I sign something when I got arrested? (I thought the logical answer was yes, gotta make an arrest warrant now...) When did it happen? (I should've thought about this before...I gave a bogus date and lucked out...a thursday night! Woohoo! ::thumbs-up ) I said the victim was about my build (gotta find a french speaking witness my build now...I think I know one.) Was I offered a lawyer? (I don't want to be too easy to defend on procedural matters, I said I immediately asked for one.)

Well, that's pretty much it. I'm figuring they'll play up the consent to fight angle...It's not assault if you consented to it...but I've been careful not to say "he consented to it, etc." I said we stepped out to handle it like men, so to speak. (The lawyer asked me: "And then you hit him, couldn't "handling it" be just an apology?" I thought that was smart... :) I think I gave him the answer he wanted "We wouldn't have needed to handle it outside then, would we?"  ::devil

Muahaaahaaa, payed to roleplay. That's the life!

::withbeer

Archived