Fading Suns.

Defender

Hi guys. In my neverending quest to play as many rpgs as possible, I've stumbled across an interesting looking game from a company called Holistic designs called Fading Suns. Check out their site at www.holistic-design.com . From what I've read this game looks wicked keen, but I was wondering if anyone's got any hands-on experience with it. Is it worth my hard-earned RPG dollars?

-Defender.

• 2 months later...

Well, my curiosity piqued (and an odd lack of response from my fellow forumites) I went to my local games shop a few days after the above post and picked up the Fading Suns 2nd Edition rulebook.

The verdict? Really, really good. An excellent roleplaying game with a cool Space Fantasy setting that combines the best aspects of Science Fiction, Space Opera, and traditional fantasy. I reccomend it to anyone looking for a more original yet classic cinematic gaming experience. Check it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  :)

-Defender.

Dude, don't go answering your own question before I get to jump in and talk about how great Fading Suns is!  ::hehe

I've played it several times before and I agree, it's a kick-ass game. I've played it at cons, mostly. I always seem to get stuck playing the Eskatonic priest, and I have started to actually like them as a result.

Best Fading Suns con story: We had one girl play a noble so obnoxiously that the other noble, who up till that point had been the epitome of chivalry and grace, a true knight, just went off and hit her character so hard that her shield went off. I was impressed.  ::exclamation

Heh. . .good to see someone else playing it. Answered my own query because I felt like it, and thought some other folks on the forum might like an insider's view on a really fun game. I'd get more in depth with it, but sadly most of my books from this year are being couriered cross-country to my digs in Alberta.

Eskatonic eh? Neat. I'm partial to the Brother Battle myself. Sword slingin' righteous servants of the Prophet are more my speed.  ::bigsmile

-Defender.

I agree. The Brother Battle kick ass. I learned to appreciate the Eskatonics only after being forced to play one on two seperate occasions.

I had another idea for a character which was that of a Scraver. The Scravers are basically an extensive organized crime syndicate operating under the guise of a salvage reclamation guild. So obviously, to maintain this cover they have to do at least some actual salvage reclamation. I thought it would be fun to play that character.

"No, I don't know anything about drugs, gambling or prostitution! I am a salvage reclamation merchant! Really!! I"m not lying to you!!!"

Rev. Brian Rogers  ::priest

• 1 month later...

Agreed!  Fading Suns totally rocks!  Well - the setting.  I find the system... clunky.

Our monkey boy alien (forgot what they are called... not monkey boy - that's for sure) engineer (scoundrel/thief/#######) managed to exchange the highly annoying Inquisitor's Napalm canister for one filled with rose-water sometime before he (monkey boy) made disparaging remarks about the saints and followed up with how much better technology was than feeble religion...  Highly amusing.  The Inquistor player's face went from Righteous Indignation to Righteous Wrath to "OMG! I'm scr*w*d!" in about .3 seconds.

I'm favourite games would probably be.

1) Trinity (haven't actually played A! or Ab yet! - go figure)

2) Ars Magica (ok - i like politics... sue me.)

3) Fading Suns (It has a Dune feel - but with even more action - and even passes trinity in its number of plot hooks)

4) Hero Wars (Clever, but slightly flawed system.  Glorantha has a kinda nice high mythic (as opposed to high magic) feel to it)

-Knave

• 1 month later...

Fading Suns is cool. I didn't know they're doing it as a D20 though. 'Suppose it was only a matter of time... I've just recently fallen in love with 'Dune' (thanks to the TV series!) and a friend was considering doing a similar thing with Fading Suns. That would work/got my attention. Any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Donations?  ;)

Chloe.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, had I been around, I would have responded.

It is an excellent game, with a very cool soft science fiction setting. There are a few issues that I take with the game. I feel that the rules can be unbalanced sometimes, with some races having more favourable attributes than others. That and the game has the rather amusing regression in quality from first to second edition - its supposed to get better!

::smiley1

• 2 months later...

I'm catching up with old topics--hence this very belated reply.

So, back in the days of yore, when I was looking for a science fiction game for my science fiction nuts team, I was intrigued by two games--these being Trinity and Fading Suns.

When I asked for info, the shop guy was quick to point out thet Trinity was the future expansion of World of Darkness, a real kick-ass game featuring vampires in space and so on. ::crazy

That scared me off, and I bought Fading Suns instead--which I found to be pretty lacking, and promptly shelved waiting for better days.

Fast forward a pair of years.

Having checked out Trinity and found it to be the SF RPG I was looking for, I found me in a bind one evening, with a full team and no new campaign ready.

So we played fading Suns as the future of the Trinity continuum.

One of the possible futures at least. ::wink

After all, there's a Sanctuary Aeon in Fading Suns, right?

The thing came into being when a physicist at the table pointed out that a gate like the ones described in Fading Suns has to cause a time shift together with a space shift. That one, plus the Sanctuary Aeon reference did the trick.

We used fading Suns as a Trinity supplement--the systems do translate easily from one into the other.

Of course, the denizens of the Fading Suns universe were more than a little shocked, as the campaign was highlighted by such all-star matches as...

. Norca Infiltrator vs the Decados Kossacks

. Brother Battle champion vs pissed-off Legionaire

. five Inquisition ships vs a single Leviathan

Ah, those were the days. ::halo

Archived