Trinity RPG - The Unexplained Noeticly Dead

Slagheap

In the Trinity core book the section on Africa (atleasty I think that's where it is) has a comment about the former Upeo compound being left "Noeticly dead" after their bick jump.  Yet, in Stellar Frontiers their is no mention of the compound much less why is is noeticly dead.

So, what do you think?  What's teh deal with the porter's old HQ?

-Slag

From what I understand, and this is just me, the dead area is created. That is manufactured, manmade, Orgotek sponsored.

Jumpers can only go to places they know, and the Kenyatta (I think) spaceport, the ex-Upeo home, would be very familiar and an easy destination for sneaking back to earth. Cassel likely knew that the Upeo would escape, so devised a means of removing the ability to hop back home.

The dead area is most likely from multiple biotech generators that drain the environs of juice. Mostly as a saftey precaution against Upeo retaliatory strikes.

Or something like that.  :D

-Joseph

The way I would work that would be to have the Star-Crossed organize outside the Solar System somewhere, Upeo know of habitable worlds that others do not. Then, plan their "assault" on Earth.

They may not be able to jump to the Nyota base in Africa, but they are familiar with enough places on Earth to make it en masse,  quickly gather near their former home and take it in the least violent means possible.  It might get physical, depending on the size of the force left to monitor the base, which couldnt be too big(they have been gone a long time).  However,  between the knowledge of their base combined with the element of suprise, it should be a short fight.  Neutralize and proceed to next target.  Neutralize and proceed to next target.  I see them taking the place like the Navy SEALs or James Bond would.  Disable the Noetic Dampners.  Psions would know SOMETHING is going on. ISRAns especially.  There could even be a retaliatory seige Waco style.

A simple call to the media would have them on the scene almost instantly.  In an exclusive interview, Rebecca Gould makes a statement of purpose.  Detailing the disagreement with Bolade Atwan,  spinning it to attract like-minded psions  who are fed up with their Aptitudinal order or corporate employer's bullshit.  This could be the beginning of the organization that was eluded to in the ad for Bright Continent.  A sort of House Ex Miscellanea for Psions.  

It has been fortold that the Star-Crossed somehow moves in.  The really interesting scenerios are the ones that happen after the occupation of the base.  Would that be the moment that Joe Hologram realizes the Upeo have returned?  What happened to them?  They seem more militant than before they left.  Would Aeon/U.N. eventually recognize them as an official Psionic organization without a Prometheus chamber?  It would be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

Well, thats the best I can come up with half asleep(long day)

Thanks for starting this thread though Slag.  Sparked my puny brain to come up with something for when my players get to this point. Unless (most likely)  someone else comes up with a better idea.

to make it en masse

The only problem with that is the limited numbers of Hoppers. Even with neuts aiding them, there are quite a bit less than most other orders.

The modifier, as you stated, would be the lack of active troops in the area of the old spaceport.

-Joseph

eh, there's only about 250 jumpers... they're powerful and quick, but the upeo aren't particularly militant (they have their moments)... not to mention i think there's only about 25 star crossed, even worse odds.... i love the idea though, in my opinion it kicks @$$...

back on topic... pax's pimp and i had an old theory that the base was dead just from the huge amount of strain put on the noetic field in the area... basically, you have roughly 250 people trying to defend their lives, they're all powerful psions and their ready to spend even last bit of psi to make it through... then on top of that, you have the other orders marching in, trying like hell to break down the defenses of the upies... basically, the sheer amount of psi being pulled out of the environment and converted into other types of energy would leave a hole so to speak, that would over time refill itself, how long that would take is anybodies guess...

i would have posted this sooner, but i was out of town, and besides, i like the orgotek theory better...

Didn't like the necklace thing, huh?  ???

::eh <--- The normal expression I get from Harle at game.

I didn't go with the psi drained theory based on how I think Noetic vs. Quantum works. Quantum is able to be drawn out of an area, enough so that the area must recharge. (Take a peek at Q Construct for an example.) Psi is what the area is made of, therefore, drawing on the StillPoint, it cannot be drained per se.

-Joseph

Hey, that makes me think of something: ::wow

If, as they say, the Upeo were to be "arrested" because teleportation could not be trusted to them any more, how do you think that the world (esp. the Proxies) would feel about there being TWO teleporting organizations now?

I suppose either fright "Geeze, now we gotta deal with TWO separate groups!" or small relief "Divide and Conquer!"

Still, what I found lacking in Stellar Frontier (unless I somehow missed it) was any discussion about how the Upeo actually went about re-introducing themselves into Earth society, and the reactions from the various groups and orders. The whole book seems written from the point of "Oh, they're back, great. Whatever." The only thing I found that was useful was the interview with the blink that was captured by the Chromies, then by Orgotek when she went home. Anything I missed?

::malrules

none that haven't been covered... i have to agree that the return from exhile is almost not even touched, let alone covered... that's my biggest disappointment with the book actually... you would think the return, whether glorious or not, of the long lost jumpers would make bigger waves, but instead the book puts out a feeling of, "the upeo are back? well, let's see what else is on the opnet tonight."

the return itself would have to be flashy and right in the media's face for the upeo to stand a chance against the possiblity of "mass disappearance" and also, they would want to retake their places as media darlings and earths saviors right off the bat...

i think a number of the higher ups within the other orders would panic upon intitially hearing of the return and then get the old reprogramming squadrons ready... whether or not they would be used is another matter... tensions would be near the breaking point until atwan (who knows how?) managed to asure the other proxies that not only had her order returned untainted and in peace, that also the "aberrants" they were working with save karoo with a flick of the finger etc...

i think the bigger reaction would be from the public revealation of eden and apollo's open letter to the people of earth. i felt that was very poorly covered. after all, how would earth react to supposedly sane novas saying keep your planet, we want nothing but peace... between not having really covered those two things i think stellar frontiers really left out too much...

Archived