Aberrant: Dead Rising - A Hesitant Goodbye

Jasmine Gentian

May 18th, 2007 - 8:45 a.m., Fox's Refuge

Jasmine drew in a breath and ran a hand through her hair as she stood outside the door to Violet's. Her feelings about being here were mixed - she felt an obligation to thank Violet for all her help, and she did genuinely want to say goodbye.. leaving without doing so would've felt like sneaking out the back door, and Jasmine had been raised with too great a sense of respect for such a departure to sit well. Not only that, but some small part of her feared the type of reaction she'd get if she ever ran into the emotional super again without having bothered with a proper farewell. Besides, Violet had been kind to Jasmine in her own way, welcoming her into the refuge and giving her a place to stay for awhile - even trying to be a friend, though in Jasmine's opinion the other super's definition of "friend" was seriously skewed.

At the same time, Jasmine had avoided Violet since the last time she'd spoken with her after their return from Gabrielle's enclave. It had been easy to do without being too conspicuous about it - Jasmine had waved to the overly-buxom super and greeted her politely any time she had encountered her at Myf's or about the refuge. Word had also gotten around about her and Bond's relationship, and she was fairly certain she could write her recent preoccupation off to being distracted by her new situation. Still, the truth was that some hidden part of her was afraid of facing Violet again, scared of telling her that she was leaving for fear of what the other woman's reaction was going to be. It pissed her off, too - she didn't want to be manipulated into anything and it made her furious that she hadn't been able to resist the last time.

At least this time she knew what the inhuman beauty was capable of - hopefully that would make a difference. Though she'd still joked with Bond before she'd left that if she came back telling him she didn't want to go, he knew who to go shoot to take care of the problem.

So with a certain amount of reticence, she knocked on the door to Violet's club and waited for an answer.

Violet was busy getting ready for 'work'. At least it was something she was looking forward to. She had learned quiet a lot lately from Dr. Singh and Myfwany and felt more comfortable now treating the less seriously injured people at the hospital. She even was starting to earn some respect for her presence there - honest respect and not the kind of attention she normally would get because of her... attributes.

The knock on the door got answered by Jill, as usual. The tall buff barbie wasn't expecting anyone around this time of the day and carefully peeked through a barely opened door. When she recognised the young woman she opened the door completely and welcomed her warmly.

"Hey Jasmine... long time no see. I... I guess you want to talk to her?", Jill pointed to the back of the building where the stairs to the second floor were. Without waiting for an answer she guided the young super inside and shut the door behind her. The place looked very different to the last time Jasmine saw it. The stage was gone, no more pole or catwalks. Most of the tables were gone, too. At the very far back she could make out the first seperations for 'rooms' with field-beds and all kinds of accomodations most people lacked in tent city. All in all it started to look more like a motel than a club.

Jasmine smiled warmly at Jill - the buff blacksmith had always been more than polite to her, and she'd never had any problems with Jill when she'd stayed here.

"I came to say goodbye to both of you, really - I hope you'll pass the message along to Jo too the next time you see her too. I'm headed out in a couple hours so I don't have time to catch everyone, but.. I thought I'd stop by here for a few."

She glanced around, taking in the new look of the place for a long moment before nodding approvingly.

"I'd heard Violet was opening up the place to people. I'm glad to see it was true - people need a roof over their head."

Jill smiled politely and nodded at Jasmine. "Well... it's the third change of plans. I hope it's the last one for a while, though. Violet is about to go to the hospital but you should catch her before she leaves, she's either under the shower or dressing up. I'm still busy fixing the place. I'll say good-bye on your way out, ok?"

Upstairs Jasmine found Violet in her quarters. Even this place was tidier than it used to be. Violet was almost finished getting dressed tying the last lace across her immense bust and smiled warmly as she saw Jasmine enter the room.

"Jas!", she happily welcomed her, eyes flashing brightly with their unnatural amethyst color and her arms open for a tight hug.

Jasmine relaxed a little at Violet's reaction, glad the other woman didn't seem angry at her for not having been around. It was hard to be as upset around her, once you got within her presence - it was like some kind of aura Violet radiated that made it hard to do anything but like her. She hugged the other woman tightly, and then pulled back and smiled warmly.

"Hey, sorry it's been a bit. I've been pretty busy. How've you been? Keeping busy too, I assume."

It felt good having Jas come over. The young woman had been busy with her newfound love and Violet was nothing but happy for her 'little sister' to have found someone who'd look after her.

"I heard about you and Bond and I guess that put me to the far end of your priority list. Anyway - you're here now and I guess I can come a bit late to work today. I promised to always take my time for you.", Violet dashed to the kitchenette and took out some cups and started boiling some water.

"I hope tea is fine for you? I wasn't expecting anyone so I haven't really prepared anything.", she turned around facing Jasmine again and smiled happily. "Yeah, I've been pretty busy, too. Rearranging the 'club', breaking up with James, trying to built a future with Dan... and dodging secret admirers... and I'm expecting... triplets.", the last revelation was said with a good measure of pride. Violet was radiating an aura beyond anything Jasmine had experienced before. It was the most positive attitude she had ever seen in Violet before. She was like a beacon and both her eyes and skin almost glowed giving her a supernatural appearance - almost otherwordly.

Jasmine sat down at one of the chairs in the kitchenette, nodding her assent at the question regarding tea before hesitating for a brief second, and trying to make her request appear casual. Despite Violet's revelation Jasmine hadn't decided if she was going to tell the other woman about her pregnancy, so far she'd been keeping it pretty mum, telling people on a need-to-know basis. It was really going to depend on how the conversation went.

"Decaf would be great if you've got it."

She watched Violet as she bustled around the kitchen. Then she dropped the unexpected bombshell, and Jasmine's eyes widened slightly as she stared at Violet with a brief startled expression. Then she cleared her throat slightly and smiled, still looking a little caught off-guard.

"Oh - well, congrats! That's.. that's great. How does.. I mean, is Dan excited? Do you, um.. I mean.." She sighed, hoping her question wasn't going to come off as too offensive, though it was a perfectly legitimate one all things considered. "Do you know who the father is?"

Violet quickly catered to Jasmine's wish for Decaf and sat down next to her placing the cups carefully on the small table. "Of course I do! Dan is the father! He's the only one in question. If you're wondering why I'm so sure - I can control my cycle and when I ovulate. It's the best contraception in the world i guess. One of my 'gifts'.", she winked at Jasmine and nibbled on her cup.

"It caught me a bit off-guard I must confess but in retrospect it made sense, I was just blindsided by the ritual... anyway, we're looking forward, of course. I can't recall being happier in my life before.", Violet wasn't one bit offended by Jasmine's questions. Somehow it seemed that nothing could break her high spirits.

"Well, that's good. I mean - not that it wouldn't have been good otherwise, but.. at least it saves you some complications, I suppose. Anyway, that sounds like a handy gift to have. At least you won't have to worry about how to deal with that - not like there's anyone manufacturing condoms these days, right?"

She blushed slightly, her cheeks turning that dusty rose shade that was so endearing, but mostly she looked a little amused at something. It wasn't a matter she'd given much thought - obviously - and she supposed she had about a year now to figure out how to handle that in the future.. it was a little late for it this time around. Her lips twitched slightly, and then became a genuine smile.

"Well, it shows, Violet. You're positively glowing. Congratulations to you and Dan both."

"Well thank you, honey. And you're right it is a very handy gift.", Violet winked at Jas again and smiled.

"It's so nice from you to visit me today. I was wondering when we would've some time to talk again... you know, like sisters? I was starting to miss you but now you're here and everything is fine. How are you and Bond doing? And what about little Pumpkin and her cousin? I hope you're ok and if you need some help just let me know. I'm always here for you, sweetheart."

Just be natural about it. You're dating Jim now, traveling with him and becoming a trader is the most natural progression in the world. It makes perfect sense. Surely Violet will understand that.

"Thank you Violet, I appreciate that. Pumpkin and Hana are doing just fine - so are Jim and I. We're actually going to be leaving for awhile, heading off to make some supply runs. Jim's stock is pretty much wiped out after the influx of women from the prison, and so we're going to go do some trading and scavenging. I wanted to make sure to stop by and see you again before I left, make sure you were doing well, and get a chance to say goodbye until next time. I would've hated to miss seeing you before we go."

She smiled gently, but inwardly she was on tenderhooks, waiting to see what the often-tempestuous super's reaction was going to be to the announcement.

"You're leaving?", Violet asked incredulously but she could see in Jasmine's eyes that she was being serious.

"Ahm...", Violet made a second take and then took a deep breath. "I understand, Jas... thank you for being so kind and taking your time to say goodbye.", Violet was being brave for her circumstances her eyes just slightly watered by tears she didn't want to shed.

"I was hoping... but it's ok, Jas.", everything is falling apart... they're all leaving..

"I guess it's the best thing for you and Jim. You're taking the kids with you?", obviously... stupid question, Violet!

The unearthly beauty was struggling with her composure but this news definitely came unexpected. "I'm sorry, Jas... I'm just a bit confused but it'll be ok. I'll be fine and... and I wish you all the best... maybe we'll meet again. I'll be true to my promise, I always will be.", Violet quietly sipped her tea and looked at Jas her eyes not as sparkling as they just did but Violet didn't want this to drag her down.

She smiled warmly at Violet, trying to erase the other woman's tears with gentle reassurance.

"Thank you for understanding. I imagine we'll run into each other again, Violet - unless you're planning on leavin', that is. After all, Jim and I are traders. We'll be back to trade with the refuge again, people need supplies and that's our business."

She took a small sip of the tea Violet had prepared, and smiled at her again softly. Something about Jasmine seemed different, she seemed calmer and more at ease with herself - happy, even, though Violet could tell she felt guilty for upsetting her. For once it seemed to be the younger woman trying to soothe Violet instead of the other way around.

"The kids will be going with us, Jim has been teaching Hana how to defend herself and I think she'll be a big help. We're gonna keep it as safe as we can - no reason to take unnecessary risks, you know?"

"Yeah... that sounds reasonable - no unnecessary risks", Violet's voice sounded rather absentmindedly.

"Do you... do you need anything? I've still got some stuff to share. Mostly clothes but maybe you find something you guys need or you in particular want to have.", Violet tried to sheer herself up and giving things usually made her feel good.

Inside she was sad that Jasmine was leaving. Sad that things went so wrong between the two of them. Violet's eyes rested a while on the young woman's features as if she would see her for the last time. Who knew what would happen? The RUS would attack and they would leave the place and... and they would never see again. Violet would cry later, right now she wanted to make Jasmine feel ok and not give her a guilty conscience - that wouldn't be fair.

Jasmine shook her head slightly, but smiled warmly.

"Thanks.. but I can't think of anything, we're pretty good. Besides, anything that we could use the women you're housing here could probably use more, and we should be able to get more of on the road."

The two women chatted for a bit about casual things, how Jill was doing and how the women staying at Violet's seemed to be acclimating to the refuge. After a bit talk turned to the upcoming move, and Jasmine leaned back in her chair, looking thoughtful.

"So, do you have any idea yet where the Morgan is planning on moving the refuge? Unless it's somewhere completely off-continent, Jim and I are planning on returning for trade, rest, that sort of thing."

"I was offering it to you and not the women here... they don't want my help.", Violet's bitterness was obvious and she even snorted briefly but she didn't want to delve on that matter any second longer - it was a waste of time. Fortunately Jasmine quickly steered to conversation to more casual topics and Violet happily obliged answering any questions truthfully.

When Jasmine asked about the move Violet's mood dropped palpably. "I... I have no idea, Jas. I'm not really part of the information network in the Refuge. All I know is what happens in these walls and at the hospital - that's it. I never leave the building unless I must.", Violet let that stand without further comment and looked sadly to the floor. The impossibly shaped succubus of a woman with her perfect hair and teeth and face smiled sadly feeling a real sense of loss that Jasmine was about to go. She wanted to be friends with her but botched it and she knew it was too late to 'fix' it.

"I'm sorry what I did to you, Jas. I...", she slumped her shoulders forward and felt some tears escaping her eyes which she quickly wiped away. She didn't want to cry and tried to breath the pain away. "It's going to be ok...I just need a minute..."

Jasmine took a deep breath and stood up, holding her teacup in her hand and taking a few steps over to the window that looked out from Violet's bedroom. She glanced out at the refuge quietly, giving Violet a moment to compose herself. After she heard the other woman take a few steadying breaths, she spoke - though she hadn't turned back towards Violet yet.

"Thank you, Violet. For apologizing. I know you only had good intentions, but what you did was wrong."

She turned back to Violet, and her expression was more sad than angry as she continued to speak.

"I know you can't help certain things about the way you are. I know some things come naturally to you. I don't know that you could control all of it if you wanted to, and I imagine even wanting to must be very hard. But you crossed a line - I told you what I wanted to do and instead of respecting my decision you changed my mind for me. I'm not saying I can't ever forgive you for that, Violet... quite the opposite, I do forgive you this time, because I think you mean it. I'm not even saying the power is bad, Vi - power is just power. It's what you do with it that makes it good or bad. Just cause I can go around setting people on fire if they piss me off doesn't mean I should. And just because you can go around changing people's minds doesn't mean you shouldn't consider your motivations first. What's that line.. my brother Denali, he used to say it all the time.. he was a big comic book freak..."

A soft, sad smile flickered across her lips as her eyes met Violet's.

"With great power comes great responsibility. That's us, Violet - we have great power now. We have a responsibility when it comes to how we use that power. It's always been that way.. and there have always been people who abused their power instead of living up to their responsibilities. I don't want to be one of those people.. I hope you feel the same way. I don't think you do - I'm proud of what you've done at the clinic with Dr. Shattuck and by helping these women. Whether they want your help or not.. they need it right now, and that's the part that matters."

She took one last drink, finishing her tea. Then she sat it down on the table, the mug making a soft sound against the wood in the utter quiet of the room.

"If we don't all do our best to try to make this world a better place, a safer place.. well, our children won't have any world to grow up in at all. And that's no one's responsibility as much as it is people like you, and me, Violet..."

She gave the other woman a meaningful look, and a wry smile.

"The people with children, and the people expecting them - whether we planned it or not."

Violet smiled halfheartedly at Jasmine as the younger woman made her little speech. With great power comes great responsibility…, the tall seductress smirked as she reflected on that quote. You all would still be guessing what I can or can’t do if I hadn’t decided to disclose my powers.

Violet shook her head slightly as she continued her inner monologue erstwhile ignoring what Jasmine was saying, I shouldn’t have done that… why by the Goddess did I do that? Because I wanted to help? No one wants my help, I should’ve known better. Instead of trying to fit in… what a stupid idea. I’ll never fit in, not like Jas or Bond.

Slowly the words Jasmine said connected with Violet’s conscious mind. “…our children won’t have any world to grow up in… people like you, and me, Violet…“

„Are you…?“, Violet’s eyes instantly fell on Jasmine’s belly as she started to smile broadly. How wonderful if she was!

Jasmine hesitated, the nodded briefly, a slight smile playing at the corners of her lips.

"Yes. No triplets that I'm aware of though, thank goodness. I think one's enough for us - I've already got Pumpkin and Hana to keep an eye on."

She blushed faintly, her mocha-colored cheeks turning a faint dusty rose color.

"We probably should have waited, taken precautions, that sort of thing but.. well, I just got a bit swept up in the moment I suppose. That's.. easy to do, with Jim around."

„Oh Jas! That’s wonderful!“, Violet joyfully squealed hugging Jasmine tightly. „I’m so happy for you and… Bond.“, she avoided calling him Jim or James.

„You’ll be safe with him, I’m sure about that but you’ve got to promise me to stay out of trouble if you can. Risking anyone’s life, especially yours now isn’t worth anything.“, Violet had almost fully recovered from her short depression and started to radiate the same aura of happiness Jasmine felt when she met her earlier.

„I wish I could be there when you give birth to your child… oh Jas, I’m soo happy for you.“, Violet couldn’t stop her joy – it was intoxicating, almost addictive.

Jasmine couldn't help but smile, Violet's happiness was downright overwhelming. She hugged her back, and nodded in agreement at Violet's demands for caution.

"Thanks, Vi - I appreciate it. And don't worry.. I'll do my best to stay out of trouble. And I'm tough, and I'm fast. I won't take stupid risks.. I promise. And don't you go getting into any trouble either."

She gave the other woman another short hug, and then pulled back and tucked a strand of Violet's gorgeous red hair behind her ears.

"I need to get going, hon.. I still need to talk to Fox, or Jules, before we leave, try and find out where you guys are headed to, or how we can keep in touch. But.. good luck to you. I'm sure we'll see each other around again soon. And then we'll have a whole new range of stuff to talk about, right?"

She smiled reassuringly at the buxom mother-to-be, tilting her head and gazing into those violet eyes with steady determination.

Violet kept her good spirits and smiled at Jasmine, „Thank you so much for… for taking your time, Jas. You don’t know how much I appreciate this and how important it is to me. Tell… Bond that he’d better keep a good eye on my little sister or I will chase him across what is left of the States, ok?“, she winked at her and slowly guided her outside. Even though she very much desired to keep Jasmine close she knew that every attempt she started to make her change her mind would end rather unpleasantly. She’s been there and done that, she had no desire to repeat her mistakes. Jasmine would have to decide for herself what to do. Trying not to think of this as a farewell Violet gave Jasmine a sisterly kiss on her forehead and held her hands one last time. „The Goddess bless you, Jasmine. She’ll take care for the well-being of your child – our future.“

Take care, Jasmine – please come back one day, please…

• 3 weeks later...

Once Jasmine had bid her last farewells for now to Violet, she headed out and in the direction of the Refuge's Headquarters. She knocked sharply on the door, and was greeted after a moment by Ger, who opened the door and ushered her in, recognizing her as one of the supers around the base. She'd always kept a pretty low profile, working hard with lots of men on the wall and enduring the admiring stares and wolf-whistles with just enough casual amusement to deflect them without injuring their pride too badly. Of course, the flirting and the wolf-whistles had gone down lately since word had gotten around that she was Bond's girl. But that wasn't going to stop the stares - no harm in looking after all, and at least she wasn't the type to get all bitchy about the attention, even if it wasn't reciprocated or encouraged.

"Jasmine? How can I help you?"

"Actually Ger, I'm here to talk to Fox or Jules, if either of them have a few minutes?"

"Probably one or the other.. lemme see what I can do, wait here."

Jasmine nodded and watched him head through the door and down a hall, and leaned up against a wall to wait for whomever had the time to speak to her.

• 2 months later...

It was Ger who came back. "They both have some time right now," he said, smiling at her. He lead her deeper into the HQ, past the half-empty offices and down hallways with stuff stacked along the sides. It wasn't enough to break fire code or impede movement, but it felt like Fox was already starting to pack house for the move.

Ger took them to Jules' office. Fox was leaning against one wall while Jules sat at the desk. There was some tension in the room. "Jasmine," Fox said, straightening with a smile. "What's up? What do you need?"

• 2 weeks later...

Jasmine took in the tension between the two briefly, but didn't say anything. Whatever was going on between Jules and Fox was none of her business, and certainly not why she was here.

"Hey Captain. Jules. I just wanted to let you both know that Jim and I will be leaving tomorrow. We're taking Pumpkin with us, it seems like the best solution. I don't think anyone here who has the time is really equipped to deal with her, and.. well, she's had it hard enough, I don't see the need to force her to adjust to someone she's not familiar with. Hana and Simon are going to be joining us too, and.. well, have you spoken to Mrigesh?"

She trailed off then, waiting nervously for an answer. It hadn't dawned on her till now that Fox might not know she and Bond were essentially stealing one of his medical staff - not that it had been their idea, or their suggestion.. Mrigesh had come to them. But she wasn't sure how well the refuge's leader would receive the news, nonetheless.

"Mrigesh?" Fox asked, frowning a little.

"Dr. Singh," Jules murmured softly before addressing Jasmine directly. "No, I haven't spoken to Mrigesh, mostly because I wasn't aware I was supposed to."

"You're taking him with you, aren't you?" Fox asked. Jules scowled, her dark eyes going angry for a moment. At Jasmine's uneasy nod, Fox sighed, seeming more resigned than angry. "Well, I'm not going to make him stay here - I won't deny anyone the right to choose where they want to go. So what's up? He decide that I'm a monster who can't be trusted to lead people, too?" That hint of bitterness showed Jasmine how hard he'd taken those who were disenchanted with this rules.

Jasmine shook her head slightly, trying to squelch the faint sense of shame at Jules' reaction, and a twinge of annoyance at Mrigesh for placing her in this predicament. She didn't succeed completely at hiding the annoyance, and if it came across as a mild reproach in regards to Fox's selfishness, well.. she couldn't find it in her to be too sorry about that.

"Actually, I believe it has more to do with a sense of professional responsibility, Morgan. I'm sure we're going to be encountering plenty of people during our travels - ones who might not have had any medical assistance since Z-Day. You have a fairly substantial team here in comparison.. a super-intelligent doctor, multiple nurses, and quite a few people trained and capable of basic first aid if there are any emergencies."

She glanced at Jules apologetically, and shrugged.

"I didn't realize he hadn't spoken with you about it until now. He came to us. I get the feeling that since Myf's arrival at the Refuge, he's felt a bit.. unnecessary. When people are given a choice between a normal doctor and a super-doc, who do you think they pick? But there's lots of people out there that don't have half that choice, you know? I think Mrigesh needs to help people who need his help.. and unless something happens to Myf, he's not gonna find that here anymore."

Archived