Aberrant: Mutant High - Poolside Rendezvous

Warren Verona

Click to reveal..
This takes place after 'Nerves' and after the first IC Chat

The smell of chlorine was light in the air as Warren leaned against the wall in the shadows. The glimmer of the pool's lights cast its reflection all across the ceiling of the room in a dancing display that was almost hypnotic. The soft, melodic movements of the water almost forced the young man into falling asleep.

Quietly he listened to the water. What're you doing here? I need to be working on a way out of this place, so what the hell am I doing waiting for some girl I met in a chat room? Day one and I'm breaking every rule I have. Get in, get out, get gone.

He shook his ankle, with it's extra weight. The tether was on for three days and there was nothing he could do to take it off, yet, so he couldn't wait to see the looks on the Admin's faces when they discovered he broke in here with nothing but pure skill. There's so much more to us mutants than our powers, humans. Wake up already. And this chick best hurry up or I'm out of here.

The near-silence, and Warren's pessimistic musings, were broken by the metal thunk of the door that led to the gymnasium as someone pressed against the bar on the other side. It swung obediently open, admitting a slim, yet distinctly feminine figure dressed in a clingy black turtleneck and form-fitting black trousers. As gently as she could, Violet caught the panel of weighted metal before it clanged shut against the frame and eased it back into a closed position with a muffled click.

When she spun on a booted heel to survey the room, the lurking shadow caught her by surprise; she hadn't expected him to show up, or, at least, not before she'd arrived. Self-consciously, she ran a hand back over her sleek violet ponytail and summoned up what she hoped resembled a professional smile.

"You must be Revenant," she said, clasping her hands behind her back and taking a few measured steps toward the other mutant. "I'm glad you could make it, especially after yesterday's events." A pointed glance at his ankle left no doubt in her mind what had transpired with the Assistant Director. She wasn't particularly surprised, all things considered.

As the door clicked open he looked in her direction in the shadows. Oh, you've got to be kidding me. Some preppy wanna be playing at ninja? That's it, screw this, I'm...

She stepped from the shadows and started speaking. Her soft voice filled the air quietly mixing its intoxicating tone amid the hypnotic waves from the pool. Whatever rude or witty retort he had lined became nothing but a lump in his throat. ...in love.

She was fine. Everything hugged everything else exactly the way it should to drive a man crazy. Are there any ugly girls at this school? Wait... do I care if there are? Holy shit...

Keep it together."Violet?" He started, his voice was a confident but had a low, 'bad boy' tone to it that some ladies would swoon over. How it worked on this one, he had yet to see. "Y'know, if you slide a credit card or a student I.D. in with the door as you close it it doesn't make that clicking sound."

What, I'm dropping a resume now?! "You said you had something to talk about?" His arms remained folded as he leaned and he didn't move from his wall to greet her. Oh yeah, he was looking as dark and brooding as one possible could plus, despite not having any powers at the moment, looked anti-hero hero enough to impress even the most frigid of women. "So, let's hear it, what'cha got?"

He was thankful for the darkness, since it let him drink every curve and take in every movement she made with out betraying his sudden boyhood crush.

With a rueful grin, she dipped her head, not denying his suggestion. What he said was true, but she hadn't expected anyone to be there when she came in; she'd keep it in mind, next time. Placing one foot directly in front of the other kept her steps in a neat, straight line, and had the additional benefit of putting a hint of extra "sway" in her hips as she approached the sullen, dark-eyed mutant.

"Very true, about the card," she said, an undercurrent of laughter in her voice. The space between them slowly disappeared, eaten up by the sultry cadence of her steps and the sound of her boot heels on the pavement. She was only a few feet away when she looked up at him again, her smoky amethyst eyes seeking out his own in the dim light. "Unfortunately, I couldn't think of an appropriate place to put one in these." With a knowing grin, she watched his gaze drop, and idly slid her palms up the sides of her thighs, indicating exactly how figure-hugging her trousers actually were.

It was a little unfair, she knew, but this "Revenant" was clearly cut from the same cloth as the other bad-boy-types she'd met; gaining their cooperation and compliance typically had very little to do with appealing to their higher thought processes.

"And, yes," she continued, her voice just slightly husky as she smiled at him. At least he's easy enough on the eyes. "I did want to talk to you about something. I'm interested in a possible partnership, if you're game- one that might benefit us both, while we're here."

She made him nervous. The closer she came the further back he wanted to go, but when she pulled her little hip number he swallowed hard took a moment to get his bearings. Oh... oh hohohohoho... I see what you're doing. His thoughts continued as she talked. Don't stop, please, don't. Just don't think I don't know what- damn, she stopped.

"A partnership?" He almost laughed. "You're kidding right? This is a school of mutants, what could you possibly need done around here that requires a guy with my skills? Seriously, this place is crawling with kids, kids. I'm a thief 'lady', I steal things, that's how I survive and when I leave here that's what I'm going back to. Now if you have things you need taken from the students why not just shake that darling little ass of yours and just get them to hand it to you. Hell, I prolly would."

One finger held aloft, she spun on her heel, pacing slowly away from him and giving him ample opportunity to see exactly what he'd just been talking about.

"First," she said clearly, her voice echoing throughout the empty room. "That doesn't always work. If it did, you wouldn't be asking questions, you'd just be agreeing to whatever terms I laid out."

"Second." Another finger joined the first as she turned again, pacing back in his direction. "The growth of my little enterprise has reached a bit of a..." She paused for a moment, her head tilting slightly from side to side as she considered her next words. "Plateau. There's only so much to be gained from inside the school, and only so far it can go. And, if the method you described doesn't work, it's damned hard to collect payment when it's owed."

"Finally, and on a very related note," she continued, dropping her hand to her side and looking directly into his eyes. "It's hard to enforce anything without an enforcer. You can't have a brute squad without the brutes, after all, and after your performance in the cafeteria, let me just say that I am very impressed with your enthusiasm." This last accompanied a frank appraisal by those shadow-veiled violet eyes as they raked over him, taking in the leather-clad and street-toughened form of the young man before her.

"So, to sum it up," His arms dropped to his sides and deftly kicked off from the walk into a slow, cool stride. He approached and walked around her. "You got some kind of scam going on here. Something a little 'off the record'."

Every time he accentuated a word he dipped down and let his breath brush her ear earlobe. Mixed with the chlorine in the air was the sudden spicy scent of some sort of body wash, Axe if she had to guess. "You want me to beat up kids for you and be your personal bully, while you make some kinda profit from it?"

He chuckled slightly but kept pacing. "I'm listening. The pitch was nice, but I'm not hearing any perks, besides you in those jeans," His grin was nearly ear to ear. "Or less."

Fair enough, she grinned bemusedly, watching him circle her with a single violet brow raised. He wasn't a hardship to look at, and he did smell delicious, so she just tilted her head, shivering pleasantly as his breath stroked her pale skin.

"I think you misunderstand, so I'll try to rephrase it a bit more clearly. I'm not interested in a bully, Revenant," the petite young woman said reassuringly, tilting her head slightly to look up at him. "I don't need someone to 'beat up kids' for me. No, not at all." Her hands twisted at the wrists, waving in a classic gesture of refutation. "What I need is someone like yourself to ensure that those who back out on their deals with me- with us- are motivated to start cooperating. If, for example, asking someone nicely to pay for the bootleg DVDs I got for them doesn't work, I need someone to convince them to give up the money, or give back the goods. What I want is just someone to make sure that people are keeping up their end of the deal. It's that simple. You might intimidate them into paying, or just take the money or the discs when they're not looking- I'm not picky about the methods, as long as everything stays relatively quiet."

"As for perks," she continued, "you would of course be compensated for your services, though if you've got any specific requests, I'm listening."

"A little clarification goes a long way." He looked down at her and about melted in her eyes. She was nothing short of divinely beautiful. "Respect is incredibly important in this little game you're playing. If your clients do not respect you than you have problems. You've got an eye for talent, thankfully."

"Small cut of the profits, and occasional free product'll keep me happy ...and you wiggling that perfect bod into something less than those jeans... I'm easy to please." He seemed sincere enough but it was obvious that this young man, despite his youth, had been doing transactions like this for quite some time and knew exactly how to handle himself in the underbelly of the streets. "It goes without saying though, but in case you're newer to this game than I think: If you lie to me, double cross me, or hang me out to dry in any way," his tone was so matter of fact that she shuddered. He was an actual criminal, not a high schooler playing at one. "It will not be pretty. We got a deal?"

"You're direct, Revenant," she conceded with a rueful grin. "That's good. I can work with 'direct.'" Without tearing her gaze away from his, she took a deep breath and continued, a note of conviction entering her girlish voice. "I need you to understand something, though. I'm not playing a game. However it might look to you, this is a business; I may not have your experience, but I honor my agreements, and I expect others to honor theirs with me."

Besides, it's not like I wouldn't know the moment you decided to try and stab me in the back, anyway.

The black-clad young mutant paused for a moment, absorbing the full import of what she, herself, was saying. Right now, she and her little enterprise were a tiny fish on the edge of a very large, very deep pond, and there were a lot of bigger, faster, meaner things in those waters. She'd have to be very, very careful, or she'd end up a lonely little minnow in the lair of a hungry barracuda. By forming partnerships like this one, she was committing herself to something slightly bigger than she'd originally anticipated, and the increased risk (and potential gain) involved sent a little shiver of fear/excitement down her spine.

Well, in for a penny...

Extending her hand, she summoned up another devastating smile. "I suppose we have an accord, then."

Your word is enough, Was usually what he would say. A spoken agreement is all that should be needed in business deals like these. A deal it is.

But he just had to touch her. She was smoking hot in so many ways that his adolescent brain nearly shorted out with every sensual glance she gave him. He clasped her soft hand and managed a smile. "A deal then."

There was a sudden pause after they struck their agreement. With the night's business concluded the conversation didn't seem to have any other place it could go. It didn't stop him from shaking her hand though.

"So, you seeing anyone?" He blurted as he was completely lost in her perfect amethyst eyes. "Doing anything later?"

Wait, where the hell did that come from?

That caught her off-guard; not because she hadn't heard it before, but because Revenant was one of the last people she expected to say it.

The sound of Violet's startled laughter rang throughout the poolhouse, and mischief danced in her eyes even as ripples of light snaked across the walls, the floor, and the two young mutants inside. Still clutching Revenant's hand, she tugged on his arm just hard enough to pull herself closer, and gave him back a dose of his own medicine.

The purple-haired beauty stood on tiptoe, her breath warm against his ear, and whispered, "You tell me." Before he could reply, she slid her fingers out of his and turned to go.

Don't be a bitch... man up!

He folded his arms and watched that enticing sway in her hips as she walked away from him. "No, and 'yes'." His voice echoed softly among the pool room.

"I won't keep you from it." He stepped backwards a few steps. "It was nice meeting you, Violet. That touch of yours is like velvet, hope to see more of you."

He turned on his heel and went for the opposite entrance, he wanted to get to know her more, to be honest. This wasn't easy for him though, meeting new people only to leave them later made the whole process pointless to him. At least, it did until he got here. "Catch'ya later."

Archived