Aberrant: Dead Rising - Hell's Roof [DR Ending][Complete]

Amarant

Excerpts From the Journal of John Walker:

Spring, 2026

- Saw one of them feeding on a person today. Not a deer or a cow. A person. First time in about a year now, I guess. I didn't think there was anyone left for them to eat anymore. Looked like a kid, scrawny and malnourished. Zed didn't seem to mind, though. Regular zombie smorgasbord.

I can't believe I just wrote that... the implications for me are not good. I was actually excited when I saw that zombie eating someone. It made me happy! Not that the deader was feeding on some poor kid, but that there were actually still live people out there for the zeds to feed on. Or there was at least. Score one more for Z-squad.

Hell, I didn't even bother killing the thing - I mean, it's not like there's anyone else to protect from it, is there?! ...is there?

God, I never thought I'd be this desperate for someone to talk to.

I'm turning in for the night.

The living are gone.

The diseased Earth sheds no tears.

She travels their path.

-a haiku from John Walker's Journal

Summer, 2026 -

Corn! Whole fields of the stuff, growing wild and free for the picking. You'd almost think the earth was finally recovering. Too bad I don't eat.

The sad, sick irony of it makes me want to shoot myself. All those years the doc spent just about killing herself, forcing those crops to grow so people could eat. There's enough in these fields to feed the entire refuge through the coming winter, with enough left over for trade. Too bad no one's left to enjoy it.

Something about this that's funny though: all these crops just laying around, and the zombies have nothing to eat. Surrounded by food, and they're going hungry. If I could only convince myself they felt anything, I could laugh at their misery. Too bad I know better.

Golden stocks of corn,

Growing in the fields again.

Who will harvest you?

Autumn, 2026

- Crops're all dead now. Dried up and rotting. And I noticed something strange, too. No insects. Or birds, either. Just the other day it struck me - I hadn't seen so much as a single fly or locust in any one of those fields. Maybe it's for the best no one was around to eat those crops.

The zeds have stopped their shambling, too. It's creepy; they just stand there, looking at nothing. You can almost see it in their faces now. There's no one left for them to eat, so why bother? It's like the whole goddamned planet is closing up shop. All that's left is to turn out the lights...

The dead go unfed,

And the Earth is no one’s friend.

Yellow corn turns red.

Winter, 2026

- Now that it's the middle of winter, literally everything seems dead. Even the weeds can't grow in this weather. Until now, I don't think I ever knew what desolation truly looked like.

Even the zeds're giving up now. Haven't seen one standing up in over a month, and it's been three or four since I saw one moving around.

They don't decompose. Not all the way. It's the only way I can tell zombies from the remains of actual people anymore. Corpses that won't go away. The bugs don't want them, the bacteria won't touch them, the earth itself won't take them.

Even Hell isn't interested.

Death does not want them,

And the worms will not have them.

I feel no pity.

Spring, 2027

- Winter's over with, but nothing's growing. Without the snow everything looks even worse. Now I can't look anywhere without seeing someting that's dead. The cities, the people, the animals, the plants, all dead. Even the land underneath it all is dead.

Just me and the zombies now. Death's rejects.

Issa was right. All this time, we didn't know it but we were walking around on a ceiling of flowers and grass, while all the fires of Hell raged beneath us. But those fires got out, and now they've burned their course and ashes are all that's left.

It was all just Hell's roof.

I remember when this was all just starting - the plague, the zombies, us supers - and people used to look at us, and look at the zombies. A question in their eyes: 'who's going to win?'

Who's going to win? The zombies or us?

They should all be grateful they never got to know the answer. The horrible, final answer about how it all turns out.

No one wins.

No one.

All alone beneath

The blind stars, I am standing

On the roof of Hell.

• 1 month later...

Archived