World of Darkness: The Academy - Chapter 2c: The Hunt

Thomas Burke

The Hound closed with them and Sean realized it was coming right at him. He tried to jump away from the wicked teeth, but it was no good. The Hound’s teeth closed around his leg in a crushing grip, its teeth tearing deeply into his skin. Shocked, he cried out, but kept his feet.

Aiming carefully, Jim waited until the Hound bounced back on all fours, still snarling. His aim was good, and his bullet tore through the meat of the creature, drawing a scream of pain from it. Micah wasted no time swinging his sword, the tip of it drawing a ragged line across its back. Black blood poured out of the wound but before it could really feel that, Sean attacked. His face livid with rage and pain, the young student hit it with everything he had. It moved a little and threw off his aim, but his fist still smashed into its ribs. There was a loud cracking noise and the monster collapsed, black blood oozing from its mouth.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean stared at his fist, then back at the Shadow, face blank and pale. Faint shudders ran through him, what he had done, what had ben done to him, finally hitting him. He took off his soccer jersey, then wrapped it tight around his leg, doing his best to stop the bleeding.

Slowly, he walked away from everyone, limping slightly, shrugging off the pain radiating out from his torn thigh. He headed into the closest group of trees, then fell to his knees, arms wrapped tight around his torso. He swallowed convulsively several times, before finally retching up everything he had eaten today, and possibly yesterday too.

I can't believe I did that! I'm as nuts as Micah! That was so gross! I.. I.. I killed someone, something...

Jason laid flat out on the ground briefly once he realised that both Hounds were down, but the pain in his abdomen soon alerted him to the need for further actions.

"Any of you guys any good at First Aid? I got some supplies in this tool belt that will help Sean and Me."

Looking around, he spots Sean heading off, "Somebody get him back here. He needs medical attention and there is still the mad sword woman out there somewhere."

Not immediately seeing where Brahn is he calls out for him, "Brahn, Brahn, where the fuck are you man. You said we didn't have time to talk before the Hunt, well the Hunt's over now so you better get talking."

Thomas looks at the downed creature for a moment, torn. It is dead or dying, but Jason is crippled. A primitive part of his brain tells him what to do. You take care of your own. Thomas may have failed this test of a healer and a saint, but there will be other moral battles to fight later.

"I'm coming Jason," Thomas calls out. He races to Jason's side, puts the pistol in his pocket and takes up the kit.

"Micah, get Sean. I'll need to treat him to. Be gentle."

Thomas finds it remarkable more of them aren't wretching their guts out. He shuffles over on his knees and begins tending to Jason's wounds.

Click to reveal..

(10:44:45) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,3,10,5.

(10:44:52) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 2d10 and gets 1,3.

(10:45:00) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 4d10 and gets 9,9,6,4.

(10:45:10) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 4d10 and gets 10,8,7,8.

It only takes a miraculous few minutes and he feels he's done the best he can.

"Okay Jason. We are going to walk you back. More like Micah is going to walk you back and we are going to call an ambulance. I'll take Sean. You guys need more than guaze and bandages. A wild animal attack will suffice for an explaination."

Micah gathered Sean back into the group and watches as Thomas treats the injured. When he is done healing everyone, Micah helps Jason up, and provides a place for Jason to put his weight. As they are moving back towards the campus, he keeps glancing at Sean, making sure his ex-roomie is alright. Micah stops short, nearly toppling Jason over, but he catches Jason before he falls.

He closes his eyes and concentrates on the sword, Can you tell where Brahn is? Is he still alive?

He looks over at Jason, and smiles, "Sorry, had to steady myself for a second. Adrenaline is fading."

I assure that Brahn is still what passes for alive for him, the sword replied, sounding amused at the thought. As if her statement had summoned him, Brahn stepped from behind a tree, smiling.

"I dragged the Hounds into that barn, but we'll need to bury them later." The man sounded calm, borderline relaxed. "You performed very well."

"Hold on Micah. Sean needs attention to."

"Sean, come over here," Thomas commands firmly. He readies the kit and starts going to work. As he works he addresses Brahn,

"We didn't do well. Two of us got hurt pretty badly. Jason's going to a hospital definitely, and probably Sean. We aren't warrior-knights of some society. We are kids, teachers, and groundsmen. Most of us aren't used to this kind of trauma - physical or mental. If you are expecting more of this, I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place."

Click to reveal..

First Aid(14:55:44) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 4d10 and gets 9,1,9,7.

(14:55:52) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 4d10 and gets 4,8,6,10.

(14:56:01) ChatBot: (Thomas) rolls 1d10 and gets 3 = 4 successes!

So two minutes gone by.

That finished he stood up and offered Sean a shoulder to lean on.

"We need to get back to school and call this in. It's probably the end for me. Jason is going to be out for some time. Sean, your parents will probably want to take you out of here. Micah ... I just glad you are physically okay. Let's get moving."

Jason turns his pale face towards Brahn, "What did you really expect? You have to forget everything you thought you knew about Dalton. It has been 30+ years here, with nothing of the events of the last time our worlds were connected being told to anyone at all. We don't know anything other than what you have told us, so if you have any ways of healing us up quickly I suggest you wheel it out, otherwise I'm going to be laid up for weeks probably, and I don't know about Sean."

Sean listlessly turned back at Thomas' command, standing still, unconcerned as the teacher bandaged his leg. He stood staring at his leg blandly for several moments after Thomas had finshed his ministrations.

Sean looked at Thomas vacantly when he offered his shoulder for support, then turned away and slowly started back to his dorm room, his limp faint.

"I'll be fine Mr. Burke, I've had worst than this playing sports. It just stings a little, I'll get the nurse to stitch it up tomorrow." Sean's voice was toneless with shock and the lack of emotion. "And don't worry about the 'rents. Dad's off in Europe, I think, with his girlfriend, and Vanessa won't care as long as I'm still alive."

Though they had defeated the Hounds, the slump in Sean's shoulders said that he believed that he had lost.

Brahn nodded. "I had feared this. A healer will be here later tonight, but I warn you, it will have its price. As I recall from my last encounters with Dalton, your bodies do not take well to forced-healing. You will likely be weak for several days to come. General Dalton surmised that this was due to your bodies' 'nutrients' and 'minerals' being depleted by the healing. Regardless, I believe that our hunt is done, at least for a sevenight."

He turned to Micah. "In that case, may I have my sword?" He held out his raven-hand, waiting for Micah to place it in his hand.

Micah nods, and gently, pommel-first, hands the sword back to Brahn, "Thank you for allowing me the use of your blade, Brahn. She was a useful ally." And thank you, for accepting me. Micah nodded as Brahn took the sword back. "I must find my own weapon, in time. I have a few ideas of where to look." Micah casts a worried glance at Sean, and stands next to him, unsure of what else to do.

"There is always a price isn't there. No one just wants to help someone out for the sake of it being the right damn thing," Thomas says bitterly.

"Thank you, but I don't think so, Brahn. We will tend to our wounded ourselves. I think I've seen enough of what ..." he hesitated to say 'you'" ... our mutual enemy have to offer. You are welcome to come back with us and I will attempt to make a cover story for you to those who come asking. You and I will come back and bury the bodies later. Micah too if he's willing. Beyond that ..." I don't want anything to do with you or anyone like you " ... I think more moving and less talking is in order."

Click to reveal..

I think a move to 2D is in order.

Archived