Mutants & Masterminds: Galactic League - Episode One: Learning

Krul

fractalstarbyobsidian49.th.png

With the crew complement filled, the mission assigned, the Ship's Avatar awake, and the Captain given command, the newest and most advanced star ship in the Galactic League's fleet is prepared to depart the docking bays at League Headquarters, upon the Captain's command.

Power flows though the ship, from it's heart, and within, extra dimensional portals expand it to be larger inside then without. A space the size of a city contained in extra dimensional space, for crew quarters and training. There is even a lush garden for meditation and relaxation.

What will the crew learn? Of the Scheherazade? Of one another? Of the mission? Of the Captain? What Legends of their Deeds shall be told for Generations to come?

Namiah stood on her bridge, sweeping her eyes around at her crew. Each was at their station, and they were all focused on their work. She drew a deep breath, filled with pride for them all.

Mentally, she ran down her list again. They had already done the pre-flight checks; there was nothing holding them back. "Let's begin," she said. "All hands, prepare for departure. Lt. Hodarg, remove us from the docks. Zade, once he's clear, provide the coordinates to our destination and give me an estimate on arrival."

Chance had to admit that she was excited about the first mission. The ship revealed amazing opportunities and her crew members were all exceptional individuals. Slowly Chance started to believe that she was lucky for once. Still the whole procedure and protocols were unfamiliar for her. She wasn’t used to this kind of authority and it would take some time for her to adapt properly. She hoped her behaviour wouldn’t cause more trouble and unnecessary delays or even worse endanger someone.

Her thoughts alternately switched from Sapphire to Kaien. Sapphire had left quite an impression on her and she was the major reason Chance had to extend her daily meditation. Then there was Kaien whom she found highly attractive. She found herself drawn to him and couldn’t tell if what she felt was her own emotions or manipulated by the legion inside her. Containing the legion proved to be more difficult than ever. During her imprisonment she was kept isolated and it was easier to adapt to the legions constant wails, screaming and ushering. Sometimes the voices were seductive and tempting, sometimes they yelled and cursed. But now there were new distractions and that reminded her constantly why she had to focus.

She hoped she’d be able to be of value to the crew and not a liability.

Kaien sat at what served as his station, which was little more than a reserve tactical station. His place wasn't really on the bridge, it was out in space itself. For the launch however, he would remain on the bridge, it was likely he'd never be able to relax here again.

Zade had downloaded all of the details on the mission already, long before the crew finished their medical checkups and reported to the bridge.

"Captain, assuming you do not wish me to read out the coordinates listed in Rindler notational equations..." Zade verified this with a glance at the Captain's face.

"In common usage it would be Sector 63352 of the Milky Way galaxy, 21 star systems just outside the Emerald Empire's current accepted borders."

While Zade was talking Kataran raised Hangar control and obtained permission to depart, activated the thrusters and lifted the ship from her mooring and moved the ship clear of the Legion HQ. He rolled his eyes at the comments of Zade as he did so and once the ship was clear he turned to the Captain and the ships' Avatar.

"I'm afraid Captain that I do not currently have any qualifications or experience with Astrogation. If Zade could provide me with the course I'd appreciate it. Zade, I have become used to being given a course to follow in the form of a bearing between 0 and 359, and a declination angle from 0 to 180 while I was with the Star Patrol."

"Certainly. Please make heading 123.774 by 97.3234. That will take us to the outskirts of the contested systems."

Zade still exhibited very little real personality, but she had begun avoiding the sharp rigid professionalism that she had started with right after downloading GL customs and regulations modules. It appeared that she was mimicking the ship's crew members and relaxing as she observed their level of professionalism without being so rigid.

((Current appearance:))

costumes_01.jpg

"Thank you Zade."

Given the new information Kataran enters the course and runs up the engines to 50% of maximum.

He turns to the Captain, "Maam, I've set our speed at 50% of maximum until we clear the system and enter free space where I was planning to take us up to 75% as a crusing speed with your permission."

Kerong's mind raced as the Scheherazade made way, his first mission with the crew. If he was nervous it didn't show as his face remained emotionless and his body rigid. His skills had taken his far in his young age and he would not allow himself to fail in his tasks.

"All weapon systems check out fully functional, Captain" Kerong reports.

Sapphire sat snuggly in the molded seat that had risen from the deck of the ship. One foot tapped the floor allowing the seat to swivel as Sapphire ran her avid gaze over her fellow crewmen.

Chance, she would teach that young woman to relax, and somehow, help her quell the demons confined within her. Chance was too young to suffer under the yoke of such a burden.

She had romped with Kaien before, and was looking forward to doing it again, though he seemed more rigid now that they were serving together on the same ship. Still, she would make him tell her all the stories to all his delicious scars.

The Oc'sala'haeee's mind was a warrior's mind, passionate but surprisingly organized and focused. Kerong turned her way and she waved the fingers of a hand at him, her smile showing a flash of teeth.

Sapphire's eyes were a dark lavender as they rested on Zade. She was very intriguing by the sentient android, her sense of personality still limited, but expanding by the moment. Her thoughts were crystal clear and inhumanely precise, switching tracks with meticulous accuracy. And she was a shapeshifter - Oh, the possibilities. *I greatly desire to get to know you better Zade, and I hope I can teach you somethings as well. There is so much more to enjoying life than can be downloaded, and I am more than willing to experience all the intimate details with you.

Zade may have been a product of nanotechnology, but she still had facsimilies to the emotional centers of organic beings. Sapphire tugged on the threads of desire and curiosity, crossing her legs tantalizingly as Zade turned a smooth gaze her way. *Perhaps, you would like to meet me later in the garden?*

Sapphire saved a frown for the A'fen D'lan. She had been in the minds of true aliens before, and had lain with a few as well, but the last of the A'fen D'lan was another matter. Sapphire had never before sensed such a deep emotional void within someone before, not in someone who seemed to be completely mentally sound at least. She wasn't sure she would be able to fill it.

Finally, but surely, Sapphire turned her attention to Namiah. She had joined the Galactic League to have a greater chance to deal with the Reavers, but it was because of Namiah that is was here that she had turned. She eyed the lean lines of Namiah's figure, her smile enticing and so familiar. *Nami... This really doesn't have to be strange you know. Namiah could feel phantom fingers trace the line of her jaw, then run through her hair, a touch fondly remembered.

"Captain Daylan, Force Fields are active and Cloaking System is on standby."

T'aeg didn't even turn to his station where he kneeled as they took off. 'Preparing for departure' was redundant at best for someone monitoring a new ship. Barring an actual altercation, which in no doubt would happen, the ship would not need service for far longer than most of the current crew would be alive. Indeed, aside from taking advantage of leaving the Sphere, T'aeg found himself at a loss of things to do.

Perhaps I shall have the time to begin work on the R'tal'fen.

Quote:
Sapphire's eyes were a dark lavender as they rested on Zade. She was very intriguing by the sentient android, her sense of personality still limited, but expanding by the moment. Her thoughts were crystal clear and inhumanely precise, switching tracks with meticulous accuracy. And she was a shapeshifter - Oh, the possibilities. *I greatly desire to get to know you better Zade, and I hope I can teach you somethings as well. There is so much more to enjoying life than can be downloaded, and I am more than willing to exoerience all the intimate details with you.

Zade may have been a product of nanotechnology, but she still had facsimilies to the emotional centers of organic beings. Sapphire tugged on the threads of desire and curiosity, crossing her legs tantalizingly as Zade turned a smooth gaze her way. *Perhaps, you would like to meet me later in the garden?*

Zade blinked in surprise at the thoughts from Sapphire and the completely alien emotions that suddenly filled her. For several nanoseconds she pondered them before deciding she had no context in which to put them and reasoned that another download was in order.

Zade searched the database three times before realizing there was no appropriate download available to help her deal with the situation at hand.

On Sapphire's panel appeared the words, "Garden. Yes."

The ship's speed was quite fast, perhaps even the fastest moving object in the galaxy. At the present rate of speed, it would take 37 hours or so to reach their destination, however, if the ship's speed was increased to the maximum, they could make it in about 8 hours or so... This information was available to anyone who would take a look, over the integrated infonet which was now extended to all members of the crew, prepared to initiate them into a combat gestalt should it be necessary upon arrival.

Sapphire heard the muted beeping of her console and looked over with an arched eyebrow.

Originally Posted By: Zade
"Garden. Yes."

*Lovely, I think it will be a wonderful experience for the both of us, Zade - there will so much for us to learn.* Zade could feel the delight, the intrigue, and the sheer lust for life in Sapphire's mental voice - some of the emotions new to her, though she knew these were not hers.

"Thank you, Lt. Hodarg ," she said to Kataran. "Seventy-five percent is fine. Thank you Lt. Kerong."

Sapphire, this is not the time, Namiah thought, knowing that the blue-haired beauty wouldn't believe her. And part of Namiah was in conflict with this as well; she remembered glorious times with Sapphire. She couldn't indulge herself with those whimsies though. She was the Captain.

Sigh. Still, duty first, whereas duty and pleasure don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Sapphire looked on Namiah with longing, her luscious lips parted, the tip of her tongue darting into view.*You can't avoid being alone with me forever, Nami. This ship isn't that big - you'll always be within my touch anywhere here. I'm willing to bide my time... For a little while... I've missed you, Nami. Years since last we met is too long.* Namiah could feel the impression of Sapphire's full lips on her own, the sensation as much mental as it was physical.

Chance observed the crew with keen eyes and soaked up as much as she could about how things were done on the bridge. One of the first mistakes she made was leaving her station and walk over to the Captain. Her eyes stared out of the main screen observing the beauty of space and she smiled like an innocent child which was a rather odd mixture given the demonic appearance of her unnaturally glowing eyes.

“It’s beautiful…”, she whispered placing one hand absentmindedly on the Captains shoulder.

"Yes, it is," Captain Daylan said, glad that Chance was distracting her from Sapphire, as unlikely as that seemed. Standing, she smoothly removed the too-familiar hand and guided the young woman back to her duty station with a gentle hand on her arm. It was too familiar again, but Chance didn't seem to mind touching.

At the station, Captain Daylan leaned close and murmured, "Ensign, this is your station. You must remain here unless given permission to leave, for biological needs or if you're unable to continue your duty." She pitched her voice low enough that the rest of the crew could ignore the dressing down and spare Chance the embarrassment. "Do you have any other questions about this at the moment?"

Kat listens to the audible parts of the byplay between his new crewmates with only part of his attention. The rest is split between keeping an eye on the local space around them as they travel and reviewing a basic text in Astrogation.

Chance flinched briefly at Captain Daylan but nodded quickly as she apologized, “I’m sorry…”, there was an unexpected innocence in her voice and she quickly resumed her position on her station. “I’ve never been on a space ship before… I haven’t…”, she tried to explain herself but stopped taking a deep breath.

“I’m fine – thanks. And I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to…”, her face expressed much of her awkwardness with the unfamiliar situation and even a hint of shame. Chance was thrown into an unknown environment with unknown protocols to her – she wasn’t quite happy at the moment but she hoped this would improve over time.

"There is nothing wrong with ignorance," Captain Daylan said, still speaking softly. "So long as you demonstrate a willingness to learn, you and I will have no issues. If you need any questions answered, need any guidance, or just need to vent your concerns and worries, I am here to help." She graced the damned woman with a smile that was full of her own inner serenity. "I am here to guide you and train you. Now, do you have any further questions?"

Chance nodded at Captain Daylan and smiled again trying to be confident. “I wish I could say I’m afraid of doing something wrong but I can’t feel fear. Rationally I do know what it means, though. So if it makes any sense, that’s my only concern… and concerning questions…”, she briefly looked down, “I think too many for you to answer. I try to learn as fast as I can, I promise.”

Chance sighed briefly and met the Captain’s eyes with determination.

Hours passed, as the crew continued along with it's first mission, and got to know one another. After one shift passed, at last, they were only 30 minutes from arriving in Shangra La, where the talks in the cluster were being held.

Shangra La was a binary star system, with seven planets, two of them gas giants, and 2 asteroid belts. The entire system was heavily populated, with all kinds of living beings, some within space stations, or on moons, or inside habitats, and some capable of living in the voids of space, or even the sun's corona. One planet however, was fully capable of supporting life, had 2 moons, and series of rings, and here is where talks were being held.

As he mentions doing a flyby of the system Kat gets a shivery feeling down his spine. Looking at the holo of the system his attention is drawn to an area almost 40 AU's out, north and UP from the central/Primary star.

"Actually Captain, I think there may be something of interest up here." He highlights the region on the main holoscreen.

"However, I'm unsure what it is, and so with your permission I will investigate first."

Captain Daylan's eyes narrowed at the screen "Nice catch, Lt. Hodarg," she said to Kataran. "Proceed to take us closer and take a look. With all due caution, of course." She hoped to get to the point soon where she didn't feel that she had to say this just to communicate with the crew. It would come in time, and she reminded herself to be patient.

"I will do a preliminary check from here Captain, then if Zade will provide a course to the nearest planet or colony it will seem to give us an excuse to be in the area for a scan using the instruments."

Turning towards T'aeg, Kat sends his vision out into the void of space as he replies, "Just a feeling commander T'aeg, that something isn't right out there. Perhaps something that could be a danger to us or to our mission, it wasn't really clear."

Not wanting to charge recklessly in, even with the subtlety of using his ESP, Kataran sends his viewpoint to a number of areas surrounding the region that felt odd, to examine it from all sides. In doing so he spots a number of areas where the stars seem to be blacked out, leading him to conclude that there are about a dozen cloaked ships in that area.

In between changing viewpoints he thanks Zade when she supplies the course information and enters it, setting the ship on automatic pilot at a speed designed to give at least an hour to get to the nearest planet or colony. Time enough to discuss things, find out more information and for the Captain to plan a responce if necessary.

Maintaining his last viewpoint in space, Kat turns to the Captain, "Captain, a number of stars in the stellar field are occluded in that region, leading me to believe that there are approximately a dozen cloaked ships there. I did not believe that any of the parties to these talks should have brought such vessels? Would you like me to try to find out who they belong to?"

Outwardly Kaien was a calm emotionless pool, no trace of emotion clouding his features. In his mind he was already getting ready to fulfill his duty to the ship and crew. "Lieutenant can you give me the coordinates of the Occluded areas?"

He looks to the Captain. "I can sortie and possibly flush them out if theiy're hostile, without endangering the ship and the rest of the crew."

He nodded. "Then again once any of us show up things are probably going to go into lockdown for anyone that shouldn't be there. That would be the smart idea. Or they could run, better than engaging a Galactic League ship."

"Certainly Captain. I will show you my findings as I go along." So saying he opens a mental communication channel to them all, tentatively in the case of Zade and Chance as he isn't sure whetherit will work on the Ship's Avatar, nor what to expect from Chance. When nothing untoward seems to happen he turns his attention back to the cloaked ships.

Focussing on the nearest occluded position to his last viewpoint he jumps his viewpoint closer in by stages, trying to obtain a better idea of the size of the ship and whether it is a projected cloaking field or a skin effect of the ship. Eventually he breaks through the cloak field to reveal a ship bearing the symbol of the Emerald Empire.

* I'm going to look inside to check it really is one of there's and not a captured or repainted one. *

Inside the ship all appears to be running as you'd expect and the Emerald Empire symbol is a common theme in the decoration and uniforms of the crew.

* Finally, I'm going to check on the numbers and classes as best I can.*

It takes a little while of jumping viewpoints, but in the end Kataran finds 15 ships and one battleship, all confirmed as apparently belonging to the Emerald Empire. Leaving the viewpoint on the bridge of the Battleship, he sends to them all,

Recon complete Captain, unless there is something else you wish me to try to show you? *

The ships haven't moved yet, so it appears that they don't know they have been detected. What exactly they are waiting for, and why they are there, you can't tell at this moment. But, if the emerald empire want's to expand in this direction, they will need to take these star systems.

The voyage to Shangra-La passed quickly and Sapphire had only begun to make inroads with the crew, but that was fine with her. If nothing else, Nami had shown her the pleasure to be found in anticipation and patience.

As Kataran made his premonition known, then proceeded to shared his remote viewpoint, she felt the focus rising in Kaien and Kerong, though taking her cue from Nami, she looked on with calm interest.

"Would you like me to engage the cloaking field, Na - Captain Daylan, or have they already noted our arrival? Actually, thanks to Kataran's shared viewpoint, I can take a peek inside the bridge crew, find out who they really are and what they really want. They'll never know I even took a peek."

*Yes Captain.*

Briefly dropping the ESP, Kataran resets the course so that after they drop out of the Star Drive at 24 AU from the nearest planet/colony they are on a direct course for the Conference planet. This will take them a day under Impulse drive to reach.

Then he resumes the ESP viewpoint on the Emerald Empire Battleship Bridge, and reopens the mental communication to them all.

*Let me know if any of you don't want to recieve this. Lt Rose, you can proceed at will.*

Sapphire stifled a sigh at being called 'Lt. Rose' by a former lover - and a cherished one at that - then flashed her and Kataran a fetching smile before closing her eyes to focus on the image that Kataran was showing her.

Sapphire's hands unconsciously caressed her figure as she felt the telepathic enhancer of her uniform allow the gossamer touch of her mind to reach the entire unknown bridge crew simultaneously. Dancing among their surface thoughts, she focused more on those who where perceived to have the most knowledge of their mission. She probed deeper, breaching stubborn mental defenses with subtle tendrils of thought, looking for who they were, why they where there, and what orders they were given.

She relayed what she learned to the rest of Sheherazade's crew, and Zade as well, her mental voice sultry and intimate.

Click to reveal.. ( Telepathy)

Telepathy 12 (Subtlex2, Area, Selective, Perception): Power Check: 1d20+12=25

- Can only scan surface thoughts when using Mind Reading over an Area. Once she has a better idea of who is important or in the know, she'll start using Mind Reading on individuals to Probe deeper.

Telepathy 12 - Probing (Subtlex2, Perception): Power Check: 1d20+12=23

Tendrils in the Mind: Drain Will Save 11 (Subtlex2, Slow Fadex4, Perception, Will Save DC 21)

-If they are proving resistant to her attempts, she'll start gnawing on their Will Save, then go back and attempt again.

Archived