Mutants & Masterminds: Legacy - Issue #1 - Hellgate Part 1

Joani

She was happy. Someone loved her. On some level, that was less important than who, but she felt needed, wanted, complete. And then Tessa started shouting.

"Something..." It was her blood, her damned genes. Serene heard Tessa's shout, and it broke through, but not well. "Tessa, get Djane here, and wish it away..."

She did what she could; she stopped her twitching skin, and that delectable scent faded away.

Click to reveal..
Serene's Will check against her Succubi influence vs DC 20: PASS.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will vs Despair: 16

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2235677/

Will vs Succubus Cloud: 25

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2235679/

Echo struggled to fight off the grip of the pyramid's power, but even as she refuted her own emotions with cogent disproofs, frustratingly it seemed to do no good. Even so, her sense of duty to her friends and team were too much to just let her stop. That, and the knowledge that Matrix would never let her live it down if she was the only one who came back from this.

"Djane should be right behind me," she said to Watchwoman. "Sorry about disobeying your order, but after seeing what was going on, I thought it would be best if we stayed together. We're going to have to reach the top, and it won't be easy."

Tessa was yelling something, but it didn't matter. She had her best friend - better than best friend - in her arms, and she wasn't worried about hurting her, everything was perfect. Serene had the softest lips and Karra really liked kissing her, she even wanted to do more... She just hadn't figured out how yet, since neither of them was a boy.

Click to reveal.. (Will Save)

Then the smell of Serene filling her head faded away and Karra began thinking clearly again, or at least as clearly as she ever did. She felt a little uncomfortable, but she wasn't sure why. Karra looked at Serene, still held in her arms, her eyes wide, chewing on a lip.

"Um... Why... Um...Did we kiss?"

Centurion pulled up short of the pyramid, eying the structure warily. "Wait, all of you ... damn, its like trying to herd karpillians." Herak waited, the others seemed ill inclined to listen to his advice so he would allow them to try and reach their leader, perhaps Watchwoman could bring them into some semblance of order. As he watched them go he noted that as Djane moved away from him the crushing sense of despair seemed to intensify. I will need to investigate that, perhaps her powers will allow us to overcome this place.

Karra scrunched her nose at the smell as Serene was engulfed by smoke, though the feel of Serene's skin and clothes writhing was ticklish. When the smoke cleared, Karra noticed that Serene's wings are gone.

"Your wings are gone, Serene. Where'd they go?" MegaGirl turned towards the others as they caught up, Serene still in her arms.

"Djane removed the wish," Serene said, having a blissful moment where the events of the past several minutes were very, very fuzzy. But she wasn't like MegaGirl; she didn't live in the Now. A blush of shame suffused her cheeks as her recall came back, but her mask hid most of it. She bit back the impulse to shove herself away from her friend and instead just tried to pretend that nothing had happened. It wasn't easy.

"Everyone, what is your status?" she asked over the ring, determined to get her head back where it belonged.

Serene could feel Karra's comparatively huge breasts shift - Karra was big in nearly all respects - as she straightened her broad shoulders.

"MegaGirl is ready, Watchwoman. I'll get you, everyone, to the top, no problem. And then we'll find Mom." MegaGirl's confidence was climbing as things we going back to normal... well sort of, but enough for her.

MegaGirl stretched out a long, strong arm, ready for anyone else who wanted to ride the KarraExpress, only stop - the top.

Originally Posted By: Watchwoman
"Everyone, what is your status?" she asked over the ring, determined to get her head back where it belonged.

"Holding position away from the pyramid and its influence. Somebody needed to maintain a straight head." Herak replied over the ring and he looked at the device on his insubstantial finger. He'd not been aware that it could be used to communicate and now wondered what else it could do.

"Centurion, thank you," Watchwoman sent to him, her mental voice still tight with disappointment. "We're going to approach the summit, and I'm concerned if you don't join us, you'll be stranded her if we are moved elsewhere. Can you join us?"

Part of her wanted the older man closer. He was an adult, and that made her feel better, just to have one around. Especially since he seemed to back her, and that made her feel more stable, less like she was going to lose control of the group at any second.

"Going to the Top now!" Karra exclaimed. She already had Serene in one arm and Tessa was holding onto the other. Karra flew in behind Echo and pulled her into a firm embrace with the other Legacy girls, then spun around looking at the two boys in concern.

"I'm sorry, but I don't have enough arms to - Wait! I know!" MegaGirl's expression brightened with an idea. "Hold onto my feet, really tight, not pretend tight, but tight-tight so you don't let go, 'kay?"

MegaGirl flew so her feet were head level with the boys and when she had her latest passengers, she began to ascend to the peak of the pyramid. Her acceleration smoothly increased, not putting undue strain on her passengers, and within seconds they were all at the top, gazing upon the Marked Tablet and Rainbow-hued Orbs.

Karra's heart began to pound, worry assailing her recently restored resolve...

Click to reveal.. ( DC 20 Will Save)

... and her powerful arms began to tighten around the girls in her arms, lip trembling in rising despair. Somehow, she knew she had done something wrong, and it was bad, very bad, and she wasn't a hero after.

Karra began to make a soft moan, more felt than heard by the three girls in her arms, the sound rumbling in her chest.

As soon as the young heroes landed on the top of the Pyramid an overwhelming sense of despair gripped their hearts. Any hope to actually making it out of here alive suddenly vanished and uncertainty was their predominant emotional state. With uneasy steps they slowly walked towards the tablet which was roughly 7 x 7 feet in size. Runes like they had seen before in the prison complex shone with a dark presence and the edges of the carvings seemed to bleed black blood.

Click to reveal..
Will saves: Djane = Will Save DC 20 vs Pyramid (1d20+8=14) failed

Hype = Will Save DC 20 vs. Pyramid (1d20+5=16) failed

Echo = Will Save DC 20 vs. Pyramid (1d20+8=19) failed

CC = Will save DC 20 vs Pyramid (1d20+2=15) failed

WW = Will save DC 20 vs. Pyramid (1d20+7=19) failed

TK = Will save DC 20 vs. Pyramid (1d20+10=17) failed

Everyones DC to activate powers increases by 1. Those who already failed before add their fails to the DC. Base DC is 10.

The orbs on the side of the tablet shone in bright colours and from up close they looked like portals. Underneath the orbs were golden copper like plates that were embedded in the Pyramid. Suddenly a huge shadow spread over them and with two powerful lashes of it’s mighty wings a huge Demon landed on the top of the Pyramid. It was easily twice the size of MegaGirl with devilish horns and the stereotypical legs that ended in hoofs. In one hand it held a fiery sword and in the other a burning whip which cackled with power.

“Who dares enter my domain”, the voice of the Demon bellowed staring angrily at the heroes while it slashed with it’s fiery whip.

Click to reveal..
ooc: Ok – some of you failed just by 1 or 2 on their saves. You can make a reroll by spending a Hero Point in your next post and most likely pass the check. Just make sure to point that out in your post so I can keep track of the spent HPs.

There was a crushing dread that was gripping TK's soul as they landed, and then it all proved true when the Demon landed. She looked up at the massive thing and forwned. "Great, just what we needed, some baalrog-esque demon to bar our path."

She grit her teeth and focused on the task at hand. "We're Members of the Legacy League, looking for our comrade. We have done no harm, and seek only to find her and leave."

Centurion felt the weight of crushing despair, the hopelessness of doom and defilement. Shoulder's sagging he struggled to maintain his footing. With a surge of effort he looked to the sky and at the baleful red giant star knowing that as all stars must this too was connected to Hælious. "Great Hælious, grant me the power to overcome this foul miasma!"

Whether by a gift from the source of his power or enlivened by his own willpower Herak, the Celestial Centurion, suddenly burst into incandescence his body shedding light within the immediate area and with it a sense of serenity and hope bathed the pyramid banishing despair and fear. All within a hundred feet beheld the searing glow of a star and felt their hearts lighten and their fears recede. "Let us pass foul demon! We seek another who like us does not belong to this domain. Resist and you will have to fight us, relent and we will be gone quickly to bother you no further!"

Click to reveal..

Spending 1 HP to re-roll

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2246065/

Using extra effort to stunt a new alternate power off the Solar Array:

Hælious' Divine Grace:

- Solar Plasma Form (Insubstantial): Rank 3 (15PP)

- Emotion Control (extras: Area (burst), Total Fade) (Flaws: Range (Touch), Limited (Hope)) Cost 1 PP/rank (Feats: Progression 1 (10 ft radius per rank) Rank 10 (15 PP)

Visual Dazzle (Extra: Area (burst)), (Flaw: Range (Touch)), (Feat: Progression 4 (100 ft radius per rank)), 1 Rank (3 PP)

Hype had just started to feel the despair that seemed to affect so many on the pyramid, when Centurion's conversion to another form banished it in a blaze of light and hope. Moving slightly on the pyramid, he prepared to attack the Balrog-like thing if it didn't comply with the order to stand down.

The hammering of Karra's heart was so loud, it seemed to drown out all sound. She swallowed convulsively, staring up at the massive demon with wide eyes full of despair - for the first time in her short life, she felt small, weak, in comparison to another. Her arms went slack, dropping the other three women of the Legacy League to the ground.

Then the Celestial Centurion flared with luminous warmth, and all of Karra's fears were burned away under a new confidence. She was MegaGirl! Mega-Strong and Mega-Tough.

"I'm MegaGirl! I'm looking for my Mom and nothing is going to stop me! Not even an Uggo-DemonDevilFiend-Thing like you!" The girlish timbre of MegaGirl's voice was gone, replaced the self-assurance of the powerful woman that she, in actuality, was.

MegaGirl took a long step forward, the ground trembling slightly under the immense strength contained within her powerful frame, her golden-green eyes glowing brightly.

The Demon bellowed angrily and slashed it’s whip again as it stomped with one hooven foot on the stoney surface of the Pyramid.

“You dare make demands! I’ll crush you! Feel my wrath!”, just when the creature pointed it’s fiery sword at the heroes the Aura of Hope and light reached him, blinding him with pure energy.

Player Initiatives

Click to reveal..

MegaGirl = 19 Initiative (1d20+5=19)

Djane = 10 Initiative (1d20+5=19)

Hype = 50 Initiative (1d20+48=50)

Echo = 9 Initiative (1d20=9)

CC = 8 Initiative (1d20+5=8)

WW = 13 Initiative (1d20+4=13)

TK = 28 Initiative (1d20+9=28)

Order of action will be updated in the Combat Tracker

"Here we go again" quips Hype as he runs around behind the Balrog then for a strike, before continuing on to 50ft the other side of him leaving the way open for the others to get to it.

Click to reveal..

Move By Action

Strike rnk 12, Attack +8

(17:05:47) ChatBot: (Hype) rolls 1d20 and gets 6.+8 = 14

Tessa concentrated all her strength into her blast hitting the Demon square on it’s chest. The creature didn’t even stumble an inch and her blast left no visible mark on it’s tough hide.

The Demon angrily pointed it’s fiery sword at TK and sent a firey blast right back to her engulfing her in flames of hellfire.

For a brief moment Tessa was completely engulfed by the hellfire flames. When the heat was gone Tessa was unharmed – not a single scratch.

“Impossible!”, the Demon cried showing fear in it’s eyes.

ooc: next up is MegaGirl

MegaGirl saw the Hype-Blur streak passed without leaving a mark, then Tessa's golden light fail to harm the Demon as well. And then, before she could react, to put herself in the way, the Demon shot fire at Tessa - MegaGirl breathed a deep sigh of relief that Tessa didn't seem hurt.

Then is was her turn.

"Where's. My. Mom?! Tell Me!" MegaGirl dashed forward, her feet leaving the ground, intent on grappling the towering Demon and crushing him in her arms until he told.

Click to reveal.. (Combat)

Roll to Hit: 1d20+8 = 21

If she hits, attempts to Grapple - Damage (p. 157; DC 31 if she succeeds)

Grapple Check (Full Strength): 1d20+42=43

Pooh! I think a natural 1 is an automatic miss only on Attack Rolls, not Grapple Rolls, but whatever, it's a big Demon. grin

MegaGirl subdued the Demon into a powerful grapple locking her mighty legs around its chest and wrapping her arms and torso around it's horned head.

With a muffled "No!", the creature stumbled...

Click to reveal..
Opposed Grapple vs DC 43; check = 39 Failed! (forgot it's base attack bonus) Opposed Grapple Check DC 43 (1d20+24=29)

Toughness DC 31, check = 36 Passed!

Toughness save vs DC 31 (1d20+18=36)

... but managed to stay on it's feet struggling against MegaGirl's steely grip.

ooc: next up WatchWoman

Watchwoman wasn't sure what to do. MegaGirl had the thing grappled, but Watchwoman knew that her strength wasn't enough to really help. However, when muscle wasn't enough, she had been trained to use her brain.

"Hype!" she shouted as she pulled out the grappling hook. She pointed it at a heavy-looking stone structure and fired. "Tangle his legs!"

She hoped he understood what she wanted, as she prepared for him to rip her gun out of her hand and use the grappling line to trip up the demon. Maybe they'd get lucky and tip him over the edge.

Click to reveal..
Notice Check = 15! Passed Notice Check vs DC 15 (1d20+2=15)

As Watchwoman fired off her gun her eyes briefly fell on the floor tiles the Demon was standing on. There was a direct connection to the strange coloured ‘plattforms’ the multicoloured orbs were floating over. Small veins of goldencopper like metal created a complex pattern on which the Demon stood which on second look revealed to be runes and cuneiform carvings. The Demon was standing on some kind of Ritual circle which probably empowered it…

ooc: Next up is Djane

Can't magic it away, eh? Maybe I can 'science' it away then.

Buoyed by the Centurion's halo of light in this place of darkness, Echo charged at the demon prince, her DRUID arm reconfiguring as she went...then slammed her hand down on the magic circle at the demon's feet!

Silver liquid beaded from her skin and spread out over the strange material of the pyramid's surface as millions of tiny robots began pulling and pushing and hacking it into pieces!

(Nano-dissassembly attack! Corrosion at rank 6. The magic circle loses 6 Toughness, then must make a damage save at DC 21. Not sure if an attack roll is needed to hit a stationary, large target. Let me know if so.)

Echo’s attack had quiet an effect on the mystical circle. The nanites disassembled the alien material in a matter of seconds damaging it enough to break the circle into several parts. The huge demon widened it’s eyes in panic and screamed “No!!! No!!!!!”

Click to reveal..
(12:37:02) ChatBot: (Joani) würfelt 1d20 und erhält 2. oddly Beta chat translates into german for me. It says I rolled a 2. Total would be 16 = Save failed. Magic Circle is taking Damage!

With flailing arms it tried to rip MegaGirl of it’s face but it’s formerly formidable strength vanished quickly. The once huge creature suddenly shrank losing size and mass with each passing second as the nanites destroyed the magical circle. MegaGirl felt the huge demon getting smaller and smaller until she toppled it because of the leverage she had on it. It gave the whole situation an unwanted comical quality as it looked like MegaGirl was trying to suffocate the demon between her mighty thighs…

Click to reveal..
The Demon is losing size and has shrunken from its Huge size down to just Large. It is even smaller than MegaGirl now.

ooc: Next up CC

Herak maintained his position keeping an eye on the area to ensure that no other demons came to help their opponent and even the odds. He maintained a defensive posture as he did and continued to channel the power of the stars themselves into pushing back the despair.

OOC: Taking Full Defense and watching for other demons that may join the fight.

• 2 weeks later...

The Demon suddenly started to shift under MegaGirl as Djane’s Magic transformed it to something… less tough. The large muscled body of the Demon shrank again until it was about the size of an average woman, its skin got a crimson red and the long bull-like horns got shorter and sticked out of his forehead like devils horns. Its facial features became feminine as well as the rest of its body transformed into a … succubus.

The Demon screamed in agony but as soon as the transformation was complete it smiled mischievously at MegaGirl lashing out with a wicked tongue at her thighs.

(ooc: Round #2 – next up is Hype. Additional detail: Hype can reach the grappling gun easily and the succubus legs are already half entangled. WW shot was very precise.)

Archived