World of Darkness: Attrition - Beast's Laughter, Angel's Tears

Dave ST

Adrian shrugs.

"Declan said I might be needed, so I came. If that means I have to take this oath, its done. As far as I'm concerned, its 'What's next' and not 'what have we just done.'"

He smiles at Morgan,

"No need to be glum ... glum comes later," he winks, trying to make light of some of the stress of the situation.

Looking to Hunt,

"What do we know, and what do we suspect? Let's get moving on this thing, because I need to break off before sunrise, and some of you have jobs and classes to consider as well."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We could move now." Declan shrugs from the couch, snagging another sandwich. His appetite seemed to be restoring itself as the headache lessened. "We got about three hours till sun up. That gives the vampires among us say, two hours of playtime?"

He leaned back as he ate, tucking one hand behind his head as he chewed. "Swara-Ann, if I'm right and it's her that's the cause, is out there nearby somewhere. She won't be far from the campus, assuming she's even off it. Which brings me to the second thing we need to do..." He sighed, resting his somber eyes on Hunt. "She'll have killed, maybe eaten." He didn't say what: he didn't need to. "But there'll be remains. They need to be cleaned up, and it won't be pretty. All of us have pretty much got rules about letting the Herd, Sleepers, or whatever we call them know about the Real world."

"I hate rushing things, but we can't let her kill any more. We should go after Swara as soon as is practical, box her in and subdue her." He looked around the room, meeting everyone's gaze. "We got a few mages, 'less I'm wrong, and two werewolves here, me included, and a vampire. The basic plan's this: we find Swara and try to talk to her if she's not in the terrible rage state I told ya about. If she loses it, everyone, and I mean everyone gets back except the werewolves. Those of you who ain't seen us fight: trust me when I tell ya you don't want to be close to a ragin' Uratha." He used the First Tongue word without meaning to, the harsh growling sound reverberating slightly in his chest. "Uh... that's 'werewolf' to you."

"Now, you all got ways you can make yourselves useful. I know that. But remember we want to subdue the poor kid, not kill her. No strikin' to kill unless its that or one of us dies, please." He looked thoughtfully at Lucien, then Morgan, then No-Moss. "I was thinkin' that while I keep her busy, the mystics here can try to see what's wrong, maybe even fix it. Hopefully, we can do this without anyone dyin'."

"So, that's the basic plan. You guys get to chip in now. This ain't all my show: I'm mainly gonna be the meatshield when things get FUBAR. So let's hear it: any thoughts?"

"If the the vampires haven't much time I recommend we worry about cleaning up the mess, then using the day time hours to solidify our hunches." He looked to Declan. "Has she acted strange during the day? Doesn't seem like an ideal time to hunt or go ballistic."

"Dunno how she's been acting during the day, to be honest." Declan shrugged. "But if she was losing it in daylight on the campus, you could bet your ass we'd hear the screamin'." He pondered that. "No, it's most likely only at night. But that don't mean she can't change during the day: we can change anytime."

"We need to be damn careful of approachin' her with others around. If she flips, we'll have a herd of panicked... well, Herd on our hands, and 'wild animal' stories all over the news. Yeah, let's try to avoid that."

Adrian sits up.

"Declan, I'll leave my spare tire at your place unless someone has a van. A van would be nice."

Looking around the room,

"For moving the body, or bodies. I can probably get us some access to the landfill as long as we have a bribe and do it before dawn. Otherwise, we are taking the body-s up into the hills."

"As for locations, the police haven't been going nuts over the police bands, have they? That means the site has to be somewhere isolated. That means the Los Angeles Country Club ... umm ... the Bel Air Country Club ... umm ... Hombly Park, Westwood Park, and the National Cemetary. These are all the sites that are isolated but within striking distance of campus."

"Westwood is small and has as homeless presence. Hombly is ... safe normally. We might probably ignore these."

Adrian shakes his head, filled with self-doubt,

"I could be wrong. The killings may have been up in the hills of Bel Air. There is no way of telling, but I think the places I've named have the best chance of being what we are looking for. I think this is were we have the best chance of cleaning up the mess we've been left with."

And I hope its only one, but I fear in my soul it's much more.

"How do we want to split up?" and search for clues.

Moss pushes away from the wall he had been leaning on to face Adrian, "I don't think it's Bel Air. On my way over I noticed some places with broken windows. If they were caused by the Howl then someone could just drive around and triangulate the middle of the broken glass zone."

He pauses and looks around the others in the room, "Or maybe one of the mages has a quicker way to find the location?"

"It's not that easy I'm afraid, triangulating the center of the broken glass won't be easy unless we know ho far it spread outward from the source." Lucien sighed. "Alright. I'm not moving bodies. So I'll hop take my car and drive from one end of the broken glass to the other. Morgan, I need you to go to you drom and collect something personal of Swara's. Once I have a sympathetic link we can track her no matter where she is." He looks to Declan. "Even beyond the gauntlet."

Declan nodded agreement. "Good plan, Lucien. A couple of us should go with Morgan in case Swara's still... on the loose. I'll be one of those." He looked at the others. "Tonight we should try to find the bodies first. I heard the howl physically on the UCLA campus, so it can't be too far from there. Hunt, try to circle outwards from the campus. Take No-Moss with you for security, if you're both cool with that? When you find something, give us a call. Adrian, it'll be you and me for the humpin' and dumpin'. Just like old times." He grinned at the bleak humor of the situation and shook his head. "Okay. Anyone think we're missin' something?"

Adrian stands up, looking at Declan.

"Who do I go with ... or, I could call Enterpise and have them drop off a van for our use for the rest of the week. Also, anyone who doesn't have my number, here is a card."

He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a few cards.

"I can be the central clearing house for info for the next few hours. Once daylight comes life is going to get complicated anyway you look at it, but I could leave my phone with Declan."

"Declan, I will probably be staying at your house tonight, if that's okay?"

"What if it isn't Swara? What if it's something else?"

Oneca had been mostly silent this entire time and feeling pretty out of place, but they were making a lot of plans based on the assumption of this Swara girl that was apparently also a werewolf. It didn't seem like there was much for her to do, or much that they thought she could do from how assignments were being given out; playing devil's advocate was the least she could do.

"Then I'm more relieved than you can possible imagine, Oneca." Lucien said with a forced smile. "By eliminating her as a possibility, then hopefully we'll find clues that'll lead us elsewhere on the right path."

He looks at the lovely young nihilist. "You should come with me, as far away from the madness as possible." He jingled the keys to his Lamborghini and grinned playfully. "You can drive."

Oneca arched a brow at that, teasing, "You're away from the madness?"

She shrugged and stood up, plucking the keys from him and heading for the stairs. "Well, I guess we all have our assignments for now. I'll be playing chauffeur, but if you need something set on fire, give us a call."

"Adrian, you're with me and Morgan." Declan snagged another sandwich for the road before standing up. "No-Moss, seeing as our li'l firebug is travellin' with Hunt, you're with us too." He winked at Oneca before continuing. "We might need an Ithaeur's eyes."

He looked at Graham and smiled faintly. "I don't think you'll fit in Hunt's trunk, so you can tag along with us if you want man. If it is Swara, and she's hangin' around her room, we might need all the help we can get." He shook his head. "I kinda hoped that Amber would stick around, but she got commitments to keep, I guess." His eyes saddened for a moment, then he shrugged and set his broad shoulders. "Okay. We ready?"

Adrian gets up to join Declan, making sure not to stand between Morgan and the Alpha. The young vampire has somethings to talk about, but it can wait until they are moving.

"My car fits five, somewhat comfortably," he tells Grayscale. "What are you driving?"

He thinks it over a second and then looks to Declan.

"Taking Moss's opinion on it, we remove Bel Air, and put it in your hearing range ... which removes Los Angeles CC then we are left with Hombly, Westwood, and the Cemetary. Were do we start?"

Things moved quickly, thankfully, and Morgan was secretly grateful that someone else had finally taken control of the situation. As she retrieved her bag, she glanced at the young Mekhet curiously.

"I thought we were going to the dorms first. Didn't Hunt say he needed something of Swara's?" And I'm sure I can find something personal enough, she thought, pursing her lips. All the girl does is run, so a pair of her shoes ought to do it. ...Well, that's all she used to do, anyway. It occurred to the Acanthus then that she really had no idea what Swara-Ann might be up to these days, and with a twinge of regret she realized that if she'd been around, things might not have gone this far. If it is her, she reminded herself. If. Something of her concern crept into her expression, creasing her brow slightly and hardening the line of her jaw, but as was typical of the young mage, it didn't last long. Abruptly, she hefted her bag over her shoulder and gestured toward the door with a wry grin.

"Either way, we need to be moving. We're burning moonlight, here."

"Hold up. Dec, No Moss, Adrian, get in close to me, and clear your mind. Don't resist. I'm gonna make you harder to hurt." I hope. Graham sighs, and concentrates on expanding his perceptions of the elements surrounding himself, and his targets. He sends his personal energy through the elements and focuses on his associates.

Click to reveal..
(00:36:13) ChatBot: (Grayscale) rolls 6d10 and gets 10,9,9,10,9,1.

(00:36:22) (Grayscale): HOLY CRAP!

(00:36:41) ChatBot: (Grayscale) rolls 2d10 and gets 1,6.

5 successes. Dec, No Moss, Adrian gain Armor 3.

He releases a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. "Oh, I drive a F-150, which means I can take 2, uncomfortably."

Declan nodded to Graham as he accepted the help. He remembered last time he'd gone out on a hunt with a mage and had forgone the aid. That hadn't turned out so well.

"Okay, we take Adrian's car to the dorm. Once there, Morgan, No-Moss and me will head up to find something we can use. Graham and Adrian, you stay back from the entrance and keep an eye on things. Don't be obvious, but DO be paranoid." He warned them both. "No-Moss, when we get there I want you to examine the dorm for spirits, see if there's somethin' there. If so, tell me when we're away from it. Let's not tip anythin' off."

He looked at the four he would be travelling with. "Once we're done with the dorm, we'll go hunting for clues in the time we have left. We'll check the Cemetary first: it's close by and there's always kids going in there to fool around. We'll go on foot and poke around. And remember, if there's trouble of the large an' fuzzy kind, your first job is to get the fuck outta the way and let me take the heat." He looked each of them in the eye, then smiled thinly and nodded. "Let's go."

As they moved to the stairs, the Rahu briefly touched shoulders with Morgan, shooting her a short sidelong smile. It wasn't unreserved, but evidently the werewolf didn't harbor serious ill feeling.

"Ok, Dec I'll come along with you"

Moss stands close to Grayscale when asked and feels something as the mage does his mojo, "Thanks Grayscale, but what did you just do? You said it would make us harder to hurt, but is that like being tougher, or harder to hit or what, 'cos I don't see anything different about us at the moment."

As they move towards the stairs he acknowledges Dec's orders, "Spirit watch at the dorm? No problem, in fact I'll try to keep an eye on the Shadow as we go in case I spot something that might give us a clue as to where either any bodies might be or where whatever made the Howl might be. Considering what it seems to have done to all of us it wouldn't surprise me if it affected a lot of spirit types in some way as well. If it comes to a fight though Dec I'm with you. I might only be a Bone Shadow, but I'm not totally without skill."

With a slightly impatient sigh, Morgan glared at the strange Brit as he questioned Graham. Who the hell is this guy, anyway? A reporter for 'The Enquirer'? She nodded at Adrian as the young man's keys jingled, and some of the tension bled out of her at the playful repetition of her comment.

"Look," she said to No-Moss, forcing a measure of calm into her voice. "If you want to play 20 Questions, we can do it on the way, but I'm gonna recommend we don't get into discussing the secrets of the universe right now. We have a lot to do."

Having said this, she returns Declan's gentle nudge with one of her own, and ascends the stairs.

"Night, Lou. Night, Roz," she called to the pair, who were quietly chatting in the kitchen. With a quick wave of her hand, she was out the front door.

"Thanks for the sandwiches." Declan grinned, shooting Roz a wink as he followed Morgan and the others out, tipping Lou a casual salute and a nod. The door closed behind him, and the two humans silently watched the odd group of four disappear into the gloom of the night. Roz fixed Lou with a Look.

"If he's gay, I'm the Queen of England. What the hell's going on, Lou?" The formidable bodyguard rustled his newspaper, looking over it at her.

"Dunno, Roz. But I'm gettin' curiouser and curiouser." He turned the page and picked up his coffee.

The snarky comment No, I'm the gay one. He's my pimp almost came out, but Adrain was able to exert some self-control on his lips. Instead he managed a quick furitive "Night" once to both Lou and Roz.

He then raced to catch up with Morgan. After all, she didn't know which car was his, unless she had studied his Mustang logo on his keychain. Since there was only one Mustang out here, his gun-metal '67, it was an easy bet as to which was their ride. He hurried ahead and opened the door for her, pushing the seat aside so she could get into the back.

"Whose shotgun?" he asked the men all coming up, none of them small.

Archived