World of Darkness: Attrition - Beast's Laughter, Angel's Tears

Dave ST

"Yeah. Sorry, Lucien, shoulda said somethin'." Declan took a large bite out of a ham sandwich, white teeth flashing as he wolfed it down before continuing. "Oneca is... ah... gifted. As in psychic. She's got some gifted friends, too. But out of all of 'em, only she got hit with the same thing we did." A certain amount of explanation was in order. "She knows what I am, but not details. Knows what Adrian is too." He looked over at the Shadow and nodded reassuringly.

"Adrian's a vamp." He said to the Underwear King and Morgan, smiling at her. "Trustworthy as any I know 'cept maybe a certain country gal of our mutual acquaintance. Oneca's sworn to secrecy regarding us two, but that don't mean you have to share with her. Up to you guys, though she knows somethin's up, obviously."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She nodded and bit her lip as the Furry Underwear God tape started playing again. "Yeah. My mother picked it when she was pregnant with me, because all she wanted to eat were spicy foods."

She sighed as the headache came crashing back in on her and she rummaged through the shoulder bag she'd grabbed before running out of the house for some Tylenol. She gave the room another curious once-over at Declan's announcement and waited to see if anyone was in a sharing mood.

Lucien finally noticed Adrian. How did he sneak in? he wondered breifly. "Could you excuse me for a moment, Oneca? There are refreshments if you need something to wash those down with. Please, make yourself at home, Declan certainly has."

He approached Adrian. "I believe we've met, briefly. So, you're Adrian?" He remembered Adrian butting into a conversation several months ago, but couldn't remember if Adrian had introduced himself. "Lucien Hunt."

Adrian's eyes got a bit bigger when he saw Lucien bearing down on him.

Shyly,

"Ummm ... yeah. We met at the Pre-season party. Not one of my best nights. I believe I was more interested in Sarah ..."

Eyes get bigger,

"Not that way. See she's like ... well, you know and I had to be ... well, conscious of her ... personal space."

Adrian remembers to extend his hand as if to shake Lucien's.

"It's a pleasure to finally really meet you ... formally."

Then, as if that wasn't enough,

"Oh, and then there was the time with Vienne at the ... well, that was a confusing time too, wasn't it? Man," the young vampire shrugs, "well ... it would be interesting to talk with you at some time, but tonight isn't a great time to talk over individual spirituality, but ..."

"I'm talking to much. I'll shut up now."

It wasn't really the night for it, but Lucien managed to chuckle. Guy was a bit strange, but he could understand why. A lack of elf confidence could make anyone stutter or talk too much.

"Welcome to my home Adrian." He said politely. "Please, you are among friends. Try to relax a bit."

Moss came to curled up on the floor half under the love seat at Amber's place with a raging headache, dried blood on his face, ears, and nose. His netbook lay upside down on the floor beside him still wired to his mobile and showing the website of a letting agent he had been looking at when he heard, and felt, the Howl.

"fuck that hurt" was the first thing from his mouth, that and almost spitting out the blood in his mouth from where he had bitten his cheek. Almost, because he was aware that he was a guest here, if only for another few days, and knew better than to mess up someone elses territory.

Shit there was definitely a spiritual element to that, but it sounded real as well so christ knows what it was. Whatever it came from it either needs a shit load of help, or is going to be a bitch to put down. Either way I better see if the others heard it. Amber's off working, so I guess it's Dec and Adrian to check with first.

With that thought, and still at least partially prone Moss cautiously stretched out and grabbed his mobile to make the calls. Getting no answer at Dec's he assumed that he was either out, out cold, or on patrol. Shit I hope he hasn't been out as long as I was. Getting found naked on campus would be a pain for him. Ok, Adrian then.

"Hey Adrian, it's Moss. Did you have a real shitty feeling about an hour or so ago?"

"I'll try ... the relaxing thing," he told Lucien. Then his phone rang.

"Adrian."

It was No Moss. Oh crap. The guy must be suffering out on the streets all alone.

"Oh yeah, we weren't alone either."

Adrian looks to Dec but his eyes flicker back to Lucien's.

"Hold on a second Moss."

To Lucien,

"There is another one of us - a Were - who experienced the same thing. I think we should bring him on over. Dec and Sarah know him. Is this alright with you?"

"Sure thing Moss. Come on over. Here's the address," and once Moss had something to write with, he got Lucien's address.

Without Ariel, or Sarah, Moss would make a nice addition to the muscle side of this equation though it now occured to him that maybe Amber and her ... leeches would also be having a rough time of it. He moved toward Declan, leaned in and asked quietly,

"Any word from Amber? She might be in a bad way."

Slowly, Graham came to, his head and chest pounding. He gradually opened his eyes, seeing the ceiling of his apartment, and remembering the sound. He pushes himself off the floor, and shakily stands, walking to the bathroom. While looking in the mirror, he notices a large bruise forming on his chest, shoulder to shoulder, from his collarbone down to his navel. His upper lip was streaked with recently dried blood. He shakes his head slowly, then clutches it as the room begins to spin. He finally gets a moment of clarity after the spinning of the room, and staggers over to his nightstand. Graham picks up his cell phone and begins dialing his boss, John. He lets it ring until he gets the voicemail. "John, it's Graham. Give me a call back. It's about that new job. "

He closes the phone, then dials the second number on his small list of people he trusts. After a few rings, she picks up, "Morgan, It's Graham. You Okay?"

It was a casual night at Theo's house. They had expected a meeting with investors, the dead type, but had gotten cancelled on at the last moment. Theodore didn't seem particularly upset, but it irritated Jenna, who had stomped around the house for a while before disappearing into her room. She always worried about money, which even Amber found ridiculous; she had time to recover any money lost, so what gave?

Amber sat stiffly in the overstuffed chair, reading some book called The Art of War. It was a bit stuffy, but she was actually enjoying it; it was interesting, and it was taking her mind off her sore cuts. She wasn't used to being in pain like this; even with the silver gone, her entire body still throbbed.

"Somehow, I thought you might like that," Theodore said from his desk across the room. Amber glanced up to see him sitting with his pen paused, his hazel looking at her.

He'd said she could entertain herself since it was a quiet night, and she'd just grabbed the first book she'd seen that looked vaguely interesting. "Hmm," Amber said, looking back down at the book, but this time, she wasn't reading it. She was thinking. Cautiously, she looked up and asked, "Do you have anymore recommendations?"

Theodore looked briefly surprised; nodding, he rose and walked over to his bookcase. "You should read this, if you haven't already," he advised, handing her a slim book.

"The Prince? As in, The Artist Formerly Known As?"

Theodore sat on the arm of her chair as he laughed, "No, no. This is about the art of war as well, but it is the war over hearts and minds." His long fingers briefly caressed the cover. "But everyone should read it, not just werewolves and vampires."

He smiled at her, one of those genuine smiles that she doubted. But after what he'd said to her recently, she was wondering if she was right to doubt him like that. "Right," she said, leaning away from him a little. "Sure, I'll give it a crack."

"Good," Theodore said, rising to his feet - only to fall back to his knees as the howl reverberated through the building. Amber smelled his blood, thick and rich and tempting as he sagged against her chair, bleeding from his nose and ears. But any thoughts of going after it, as her gut demanded, were circumvented by the pain surging through her own skull. Within seconds, the only thing she could smell was her own blood, as she slipped into unconsciousness.

Sarah stood before her on a golf course, angry and dead...

...Antoine, looking sad, leaving forever...

...the taste of Marion's blood and her thirst for it...

...Melody held by another mother, cooing up at her, forgetting Amber...

Winter Wolf's teeth battered her skull as she lay in the snow, watching her sins and pain pass by her face. His cold breath brushed over her face as he bit her again, careless with his teeth as he pulled her head up. "It is not weakness to know your pain. Wake up, cub."

Amber woke up, cradled against a warm body. Theodore's narrow shoulders sagged as she stirred and she saw him swallow. "How do you feel?" he asked as he shifted a little, lifting her from where she'd been resting against him.

"Like shit," she said hoarsely, gripping his shoulder so she could push herself upright. Moving hurt, but she was distracted by the fact that he was warm again, which was unnerving. The other vampires were in the room, all looking at her with worry. She caught hints of dried blood on all their faces and necks, which meant that what she remembered happening to Theodore - and herself, to judge by the tacky tracks on her face and neck - had happened to them all. "How long was I out? Did Dylan attack?"

"About fifteen minutes," Theodore said. "You don't have to sit up yet-"

"Our calls indicate it's happened across LA." Marion's deep voice rumbled as she offered Amber a glass of water. The werewolf took it gratefully and took a swallow; her raw throat made her wonder if she'd screamed.

"Mortals too?" Amber asked.

"Not so much," Sparks said. "The 'Danes seem to be jumpy but not hurt like we were."

"Do we know what caused it?" she asked around another drink of water.

Jenna shook her head. "No idea-"

Amber's phone rang, and she glanced at the caller ID. "Hey," she said to Declan, careful not to say his name. Then she didn't say anything else as he started talking.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

With her employers bedded down for the night - an agreement reached only after she told them that she'd share what information with them that she could - Amber drove over to Lucien's to see what was happening.

She parked her truck behind the last car and ordered the backup Theodore had sent with her to say with the cars. She started walking forward alone, and grimaced to herself. She'd never wanted to meet the asshole, but it was as inevitable as her meeting with Sarah had been. Besides, the guy with the biggest house always ends up throwing a party eventually. Too bad there wouldn't be any fun at this party.

She was shown to the basement, and holding the railing, made her way down. She paused just before entering the basement proper and took her hand off the rail. She shambled the last few steps down without support.

To those who hadn't seen her in a while, she'd put on muscle and weight, and walked with more confidence. She was also heavily bandaged, with a few even covering portions of her face. There were circles under her eyes, evidence of her difficulty sleeping with such severe cuts on her body. She spotted Declan, Morgan, and Adrian, but not really anyone else she knew. Hunt was unmistakable, and she felt her gut tense.

This was going to suck, and that was if nothing personal was jammed into the mix. Because that never happened, at all.

Adrian looked over to Amber like he looked over to everyone who came down the stairs, but when he realized who it was his eyes got wider and he smiled. Crossing the distance to her he slowed down. She was hurt! Really hurt. Adrian didn't know how to handle the situation but still,

"Amber, its good to see you. Are you ... ummm ... okay?"

He didn't reach out and hug her, but he came close to giving the every idication that he was barely holding himself back.

"Ok, I'll be there as soon as I can."

Damn, it's at times like this I really wish I hadn't got rid of my bike. Oh well, I guess it's wolf time again.

Aching all over Moss limped over to the front door, well it obviously wasn't going to be a particularly fast trip to Hunt's place, but at least it would be faster and less obvious as a wolf. After all at 2 or 3 in the morning people would remember a biker running through the streets more than a dog. Opening the door and looping a leather thong over the handle so he could close it easily in wolf form Moss shifted and headed out, closing the door to Amber's place on the way.

After a painful lope in wolf form Moss found the correct address, even without reading the numbers he could locate it by the scent of Dec's earlier arrival. Shifting back to human form in the cover of the trees and bushes in the garden Moss limped up to the same back door that Dec had semi-collapsed beside earlier that morning. Knocking on the door Moss ran a hand through his hair, attempting to bring some order to it after the 'jog' over.

The housekeeper opened the door without really knowing what or who she was going to find, she certainly wasn't expecting a biker, "Yes, can I help you?"

"Hi, I'm a colleague of Dec's. Lucien told me to come over for the meeting?"

She looks back into the kitchen behind her and shrugs to Lou who is still drinking his 'coffee'.

"Ah, let him in. christ knows what they are up to down there, but one more isn't going to make much difference."

Moss stepped in as she stepped back into the room out of his way.

"Cheers. Now where do I find them?"

Moss followed Lou's pointed thumb and so arrived in the basement room with the others.

As a parade of people (some of whom she'd never met) came waltzing down the stairs into Lucien Hunt's spacious and tastefully masculine basement, Morgan found herself at a distinct disadvantage. Even the people she knew seemed to have changed dramatically since she last saw them, and the best she could manage was a taut-lipped smile and a nod in greeting as they passed her. It was a strangely surreal gathering, and the tension in her shoulders was obvious under Declan's large hands. She looped one arm around his waist in a hug; they had a lot of catching-up to do, but for the moment it was enough that he was present, and still taking up more space in the room than his physical size would suggest.

Christ, it's like a junior-high dance, she thought to herself as people filed awkwardly in, quickly gravitated toward people they knew, and made nervous small-talk.

Before she could open her mouth, however (and promptly insert her foot), the room at large was rescued by the muffled sound of ACDC's "Thunderstruck" suddenly playing at full volume in her front pocket.

As she fished the slim cell-phone out of skintight black leather, she took a few steps away from the comforting presence of the big Uratha. No-one on her phone had the same ringtone, so it wasn't hard to guess the identity of the caller as she flipped it open and raised it to her ear.

"Hello? Is everything all right?" she asked cautiously, avoiding names just to be on the safe side. There was no telling, in this group, who knew what, and who needed to be kept as far out of the loop as possible.

Amber actually smiled at Adrian. Sure it was a tense smile, but all things being equal, she was happy to see the little Mehket. She wasn't afraid of him, and even trusted him, a little. He'd treated her solidly, so far. Of course, you could never know when a vampire would turn on you, but tonight, she was too tired and sore to worry about expecting the knife at her back. Which, she thought wearily, was when it was usually buried into said back. Tonight, she would almost welcome it, provided it killed her and didn't just wound her further.

"Oh, this?" she said casually, looking down at the bandages as if just noticing them. "This was just some dead asshole's idea of a good time with a pipe bomb." Seeing the worry - maybe even genuine worry - in his eyes, she managed a slightly more convincing smile and added, "Don't worry, it's worse than it looks." Only because Dec got the silver out.

She steeled herself and reached out, giving his arm a brief squeeze, hiding a shudder at how cold his clothing was. It was meant to give him a bit of reassurance, but she freaked herself out when she realized where she'd gotten it from: Theodore used it often. "So, um... how have you been?"

Moss' arrival caught her eye and she waved him over. "And have you two met?"

Graham sighs and calms down upon hearing Morgan's voice. "Hello? Is everything all right?"

"Yeah, I just got slapped upside my head by a wave of anguish and pain."

"You, too? Geez, what the hell was that? Are you all right?"

Graham gets up and begins pacing from his bed to the door and back, "I'm still woozy, and i'm in a bit of pain, but I think I'll be okay. No idea what it was. You okay?"

"More or less, yeah... Look, some of us-" *long pause* "Okay, a lot of us, apparently felt the same thing."

Graham looks down at the phone in disbelief for a second before responding, "Really? That's disturbing. Who's us, By the way?"

"Yeah, tell me about it. Listen. There are... probably some people you should meet here. Are you up for driving?"

Graham nods to no one in particular, "I can try. Where am I driving to?"

"It's.... 284, Westwood Plaza, just north of the UCLA campus. Just say you're here for the party."

Graham sighs, "Okay... be there in a few."

Before the line goes dead, he hears Morgan speak to someone off the phone, "Hey, Hunt? We've got one more coming."

He gets dressed as quickly as he is able to, grabs his keys and cell phone and leaves the apartment. Graham hops in his truck and speeds off to the address he was given.

As he pulls up at the palatial building, he notices the large selection of vehicles outside. He parks his truck about a block away and walks the remaining distance to the house. Graham knocks on the door. When Ros answers, he smiles, "I'm here for the party. " She points out the entrance to the basement, and he thanks her as he moves past, not paying any attention to the guy at the kitchen table. He descends the staircase, marveling at the fit and finish of the work. When he arrives at the end of the staircase, he stops, and stares at the group of people gathered here. Graham sees Morgan and moves over next to her, "Hey there. Guess I could drive, after all."

Declan had moved away from Morgan while she talked on the phone, taking advantage of the moment to cross over to Amber and lightly bump shoulders with her. "Good to see you here." He murmured to her. "You holdin' up okay?"

Receiving a nod, a smile and a shoulder bump in return, Dec grinned tightly at her and Adrian and turned to No-Moss. "Good thing you're here. Got a gut feelin' we'll need an Ithaeur tonight." he told the Brit werewolf quietly, the Uratha word coming out as a low growling sound audible under the background chatter to those nearby. He clapped the man on the shoulder, nodded to the other two, and moved away, returning to the centre of the room as Morgan finished her call and announced that yet another guest was on the way.

Maybe it was fancy, and maybe a message from Luna, but the large Rahu felt something in that crowded room. He had lit the spark with a couple of phone calls, but now Something was building, an energy that passed from person to person, a pulse built of their common ground: an otherness from the Herd, a touch of the supernatural. As Declan slipped his arm around Morgan's shoulders once more, he watched them all gradually come to terms with the presence of the others. There wasn't total trust and harmony: nothing of the sort. But there was a sense that each person there was a unique thread of a wonderous tapestry, and Dec's silver eyes brightened as he watched them. If Ariel and Sarah were here... It'd be damn near perfect. he thought to himself, and gave Morgan's slim shoulder a slight squeeze. He leaned down to whisper in her ear.

"Y'know, what happened tonight was terrible. And there's more shit to come. But lookin' at this: what's happenin' here... It's fate. And it's beautiful."

And when Graham arrived, clumping down the steps and moving over to Morgan's side, Declan looked at the face he recognised from the Pre-Season party, the young man who had done something to that asshole Trent that had really given the prick a jolt, and his grin was fierce as it was welcoming.

"Hey, man." He took the newcomer's hand, shaking it firmly. "Good to see ya again." Reluctantly he slipped his arm from around Morgan's shoulders and took a step to the center of the room, clearing his throat. Gazes mortal and immortal, civilised and feral turned towards the Rahu, and he met each gaze with a nod of respect and appreciation.

It was time.

"Some of you... hell, most of you know me. Lookin' around, you can see people you don't know. Some of you don't know me, but know folks that do, and that's why you're here." He paused for a moment. "I'm Declan. All of you can just call me Dec. Now you all probably guessed that everyone in this room is special like you. Me, I'm a werewolf. Yes, I change shape. No, I don't eat people. Any other questions you can ask me later and I might even answer them, but that covers the important ones." He grinned mischievously at them all, then sobered.

"We all got slammed with somethin' tonight. Somethin' bad. Somethin' negative and hateful and full of pain and sadness. Some of you heard it, some of you just felt it in your spirits. It was a howl: a howl of utter sufferin' and despair. It was a cry for help, mercy and death all in one. And it was most likely made by one of my People: a sweet girl with a serious problem who don't even know what she is and can't control it." He shifted on his feet, looking ashamed even as he kept eye contact with the crowd. "Part of that's my fault. I started to look into helpin' her out months ago, but got some issues of my own to deal with and ended up not doin' what I should have in the first place." He took a deep breath. "Okay. So now it's come back to bite us all in the ass."

"To put it simply, werewolves ain't mindless monsters. But we do get times when we lose it, and it's never pretty. This chick? She lost it whenever she shifted shape, from what I could tell from her scent. And when a werewolf loses it, it's bad for the werewolf as well as whoever's unlucky enough to be nearby." He gestured as he tried to explain. "Y'see, we got taboos, laws. Things we can't do. And when we break those laws, it has a real effect on our souls, much worse than when a human breaks their codes. We don't even need to be told the laws to know we're breakin' them: it's instinct for us."

"Now this girl? She's so sweet she'd give ya cavities. Bad enough for her to find out she's a werewolf with no-one around to help her. But givin' in to the worst movie-monster side of us? That'd tear ME up, and I'm not a good Christian girl from Iowa or wherever." He glanced at Morgan and nodded at her wide-eyed stare before turning back to the others, his eyes somber. "So why did I want you all here? Simple. I could stop this girl - she's called Swara-Ann, for those of you who didn't guess - but I'm only good at one way of stopping things. And even if she survives that, she'll still be under whatever's making her do this. It could be a rage spirit, it could be a magical curse, it could be she's just plain nuts. It could be anything. And the concept of 'anything' is beyond me."

He looked around the group. "But it ain't beyond everyone here workin' together, I'm thinkin'." He let that hang in the air before continuing.

"Now, you all got some insight into what happened. Now I'm asking for your help, whatever you can do. Yeah, it means trusting other folks here. Sure, it makes me uneasy too. Or would, if I didn't already know most of you. In return, I'll owe you one. Hell, you might even get some good credit with the other werewolves for helpin' this poor cub. But I can't speak for them, just me." He looked around at them all and stepped back to Morgan's side. He had spoken simply, without practiced elegance or skill, but his words had contained truth, sincerity and passion, a fact that was not lost on the silent listeners.

"Any questions?"

Click to reveal.. (Let's see how the crowd likes it, Bob!)

(07:46:50) (Dec): Okay... Presence 3 + Expression 0 (-1), + Striking looks (+1) = 3 dice. Burning a WP makes that 6 dice...

(07:47:07) (Dec) crosses his fingers and prays to Luna

(07:47:24) ChatBot: (Dec) rolls 6d10 and gets 4,1,2,5,8,2.

(07:47:36) (Dec): Well, he didn't come across as a total ass

(07:49:28) (Dec): 1 success reads as "Gets the point across in the manner intended and captures the audience's interest."

Within his eyes swirled a myriad of colors, everything from vibrant to muted to shimmering with sparkles. He saw the assembled as they really were: confused, excited, the list went on.

Throughout it all as he looked over the room the whispers of everyone's thoughts echoed through his mind and were sifted and discarded, just resonant thoughts that the Mastigos often heard; but tonight it was so much at once he was forced to reinforce his mind with shielding to keep out the barrage.

"I do have a question." Lucien spoke of the momentary hush that befell the crowd. People looked to each other seeing who would be the first to say something, anything and tonight it was him. "My question is one of trust. While I know some of you, most of you I do not know, so please forgive me if this comes across as insulting, but frankly: I don't trust you with the secrets shared here this evening."

He walked and positioned himself behind one of the overstuffed chairs and rested his hands upon it like it were a podium. "We all have our own business, everyone here has secrets and everyone here is entitled to their privacy. I think it's spectacular that we, from all walks of the... 'enlightened' have come together to unite against against a problem and thus far have not broken into fisticuffs. I think it speaks volumes for our character."

"However, for all our safety, I'm asking that all those here this evening make a promise to one another that what we say here, stays here. We all need to be able to trust one another, and those unwilling or unable to do so need to leave now."

The room was placed in an interesting choke hold. None present were being forced to swear to anything, but those who refused would have to admit to the group that they were not to be trusted by taking a 'walk of shame' out of Lucien's basement.

"You now have a choice to make." His gaze was no nonsense as he scanned the basement. "Either leave, or place your trust in your fellow assembled. Do you swear, that what we discuss in this basement tonight will not be shared, directly or indirectly, with anyone who is not currently in this room?"

Click to reveal..

All in attendance must now either swear the oath, lie and swear the oath, or leave.

Swear: You willing accept the oath, no resistance on your character's part and you are considered to have voluntarily lowered your resistance.

Lie: Resist with Resolve+Trait (Blood Potency, Gnosis, Primal Urge). Keep in mind Oneca, you roll only your resolve to resist if you choose to, since she is Mortal.

Leave: This should be obvious.

"Guess so," Morgan replied to Graham with a faint, but genuine smile. She liked the young Moros and his lack of complexity or superficiality. It was refreshing to surround herself with people who were very unlike her, and he did have supremely interesting hands. In fact, some of her favorite sketches depicted them: strong, calloused, and surprisingly expressive. She took his hand briefly in hers, clasping it in greeting.

As Declan stood before everyone and explained his take on the situation, Morgan smiled in support, her green eyes warm with affection. Inwardly, though, she had to wonder if his trust was really well-placed. There were too many unknowns at the gathering for her to be completely comfortable with such open admissions.

Despite her best efforts, she couldn't prevent the look of shock that registered on her face when Declan mentioned her roommate. Swara? Oh, please tell me you're kidding... Please.

She could feel the headache pulse angrily just behind her eyes, and the room swam threateningly for a moment; when the shaggy Uratha returned, she exhaled slowly and leaned companionably back against him to hear what their host had to say.

Originally Posted By: Lucien Hunt
Do you swear, that what we discuss in this basement tonight will not be shared, directly or indirectly, with anyone who is not currently in this room?"

She waited until she caught Lucien's eye, arching an eyebrow curiously at the Mastigos, before nodding slowly and deliberately.

"I swear," the young girl murmured.

Click to reveal.. (Action Taken)
Morgan swears voluntarily, with no resistance.

"Sorry," Amber said, moving toward the door. "I can't. Doesn't mean I'm untrustworthy, cause I ain't, and Dec and others will back me on that. I've already said I'd share information about what happened tonight, about the howl. I wouldn't share personal secrets. But if I can't discuss any of it, I'm out. If this were just about your personal shit, I'd be cool keeping my mouth shut. Plus there are some of us who aren't here, and I won't block them out because Mr. Hunt can't trust us.

"If you need an extra fist, and aren't bound to cut me out of the fight, call me," she said, heading for the stairs. "Dec and Adrian can reach me. Good hunting."

It was the hardest thing she'd ever done to head up those stairs and walk away. But she'd given her word, and she couldn't break it.

Plus, she was more than a little insulted by the suggestion that she couldn't keep a secret. Luna knows, her life would be easier if some people had kept her secrets from Sarah.

Moss looks across at Hunt, a bit surprised given his reputation as the pretty boy underwear model/king, but then speaks his piece anyway.

"I'm of a mind to take your Oath Hunt, but I can see a problem with it. I know of at least two others who aren't here now that I would want to be able to bring in on this to get their help in the future, in fact they are people I know that you know as well. If we swear this oath then we will not be able to bring in those or any others that other people here can probably think of as well. Is it wise to cut ourselves off from others who could help us with their talents and skills in the future for the sake of the illusion of safety now?"

Adrian listens, seems about to speak then hesitates. A moment later, he has collected his thoughts well enough to ask The Question. He was visibly pained to see Amber get up and leave.

"My greatest utility is my ability to find out things in the Kindred ... ummm Vampire Community. That means I have to ask questions. Now if you don't want me doing this, I'll still swear. My friends are here doing this, so I'll stay with them, but I wanted to make sure that you," looking at Hunt then around the room, "are good with that. I don't discuss identities, or natures."

Looking back to Hunt.

"What do you say?"

The guy was a mage after all. It paid to be a bit cautious and concise.

Lucien watched Amber leave, and wasn't surprised in the slightest. Her aura was trouble from the moment she walked down those steps. It was chaotic and impure, a jumble of vibrance mingled with fading hues, not to mention an emotional state that fluxed every few moments.

"One down." He says coldly, as if Amber's reasoning carried no weight. "Anyone else?"

He looked to Adrian. "Then ask your questions, find out what you can, just speak nothing of what we discuss this evening. If your society wants to investigate it, let them, but they'll not endanger the lives or integrity of those assembled here this evening. And they'll certainly not benefit from our work and effort to further their own agendas, not on my watch."

"There are no loop holes Adrian." Lucien said simply. "Either swear to the oath as I spoke it, or you know where the door is. I'm not here to play games with people."

Lucien's tone was flat and blunt. Declan and those who knew him a bit better had never seen the man so stern and forceful. Truly, he was on fire tonight.

Though momentarily confused - he had repeated Hunt word for word - Adrian shrugged. He looked to Declan and said,

"I swear."

Now, not being sure what he had just sworn to, Adrian's mind was still cataloging what was going on and filing it away into the the tiny little compartments that made up the memory files of his less than stellar mind. He didn't plan any deception, but that's not how the mind always works. What his mind was grappling toward was an understanding of what had happened. It was important after all, right?

Click to reveal..

Swearing without resistance.

Declan watched Amber leave, catching her eye and nodding at her open offer of help should it be needed. He understood her reasons, and respected them. It couldn't be helped, he knew: his trust was not infallible, and Lucien's oath was a valid way for people to prove their trustworthiness.

Hope it works. was all he thought as he spoke up from next to Morgan.

"I swear. No-one hears diddly shit about what happens here from me. They'd have to rape my mind to find out, and anyone that does that better pray I don't notice." He shrugged one broad shoulder, his other arm around Morgan's waist.

Click to reveal..

Yeah. Dec's being straight. It's what he's best at. laugh

Moss watchs the room after Amber leaves, and notes that Hunt hadn't bothered to address the point that he had raised.

"Ok, Hunt I'll swear to your oath, but I still think it's shortsighted to block us from getting help from others we know who just happen not to be here right now."

Click to reveal..
Moss freely swears, just thinks it's not the right way of doing it.

"By the way Hunt, does that include talking to or about any spirits who might be in here at the moment?"

Oneca bit her lip, thinking. The Chantry was all up right now trying to find out everything they could to help, and now she was being asked not to tell them anything she found out. It didn't seem right, and Moss had a point about others helping later. Then again, she didn't have to spill people's secrets to tell the Chantry if they were following a dead end and she knew it. She could just tell them to stop pursing that and that she promised not to explain why. They wouldn't be happy, but everyone there understood secrets and keeping your word. Well, asking usually gets at least some sort of answer.

"Mr. Hunt? I have friends that are looking into this as well. I understand your request, even if not entirely why it is necessary, but would it be allowed within this promise to direct their research elsewhere if it is discovered through this group that they are looking in the wrong direction? I don't want to violate the spirit of this agreement out of a misunderstanding of its scope."

"I can respect that Oneca, and please, call me Lucien." He grins and winks at her. "If you can direct them without placing us or our search in jeopardy or revealing any of the information, I see no reason why not. Two things however. One, being a sleeper, I'd ask you not to involve your friends, they'll only get hurt. Two, and this is not directed at you dear Oneca," He looked to the assembled once more. "This is a matter of trust. With everyone trying to word play me at the moment they've seemed to have forgotten that this is an excercise in trusting one another. Those of you who think I'd bind your hands and feet, handicapping your abilities, or the abilities of others, to aide in this search obviously think me fool and I assure you that is not the case."

Oneca blinked. "Sleeper?" She shook head, "Y'know, I'll ask later. I swear that what we discuss in this basement tonight will not be shared, directly or indirectly, with anyone who is not currently in this room. There. Anyone else?"

She obviously wanted to get on with the actual finding out now that her question had been resolved and the Tylenol was starting to kick in.

Graham sighs, and stares off into space, running different scenarios through his mind. He then focuses on Hunt and his Oath. He nods and swears the oath willingly.

Click to reveal..
Swears the oath

He looks around, and mutters under his breath. His eyes seem to be boring straight through Lucien, "What about you?"

Click to reveal..
For anyone that has mage sight up, Graham just tried casting a spell, but failed.

"You're certainly right Mr. Johnson." Lucien noded his head politely. "I would not ask a single a person in this room to do anything I, myself, was not willing to do as well. I do swear upon the oath I uttered, of this make no mistake."

His gaze fell to Morgan, who Declan seemed attached to at the hip. "Morgan, if you would be so kind as seal the oath, please."

To her credit, the young woman only hesitated for a moment out of surprise, before remembering with no small measure of discomfort that, as a Mastigos, Lucien quite possibly knew more about her than she did. She nodded, briefly squeezing Declan's forearm before pulling away.

White teeth caught at her lower lip, and she shook her hands, as if preparing for some arduous undertaking. In truth, she was simply nervous, and a little excited; she'd never been asked to do something this important before, and the exhilaration that always accompanied the use of magic was a rare pleasure.

Okay. Just like he showed you...

Her narrow shoulders rose and slowly fell again as she exhaled, concentrating on the words spoken and the affirmation of all present to abide by their vow. The resonance of their voices, their intent, still remained, and as she drew forth energy from her own pattern to reshape those remnants into a cohesive bond forged of the threads of destiny, her eyes shimmered briefly with a fey green lustre.

In a simple, fluid gesture, her right hand rose, index finger extended upward, thumb crossing the middle and ring fingers as her pinky curled down to touch her palm. The flicker of mana in her eyes flared bright for a moment, but then darkened once more as she abruptly clenched her fist, effectively completing the rote.

Outwardly, this was the only sign of a supernatural influence (save for those few gifted with otherworldly vision); there were no strange sounds or auras, no sparks, and no fanfare whatsoever. The only commonality experienced by all those present was a momentary weight, a faint sensation of pressure centred over their heart (beating or otherwise) that faded almost as quickly as it appeared.

She glanced back up at Lucien with a faint, but unmistakable smile, feeling inordinately pleased with herself.

"It's done."

Click to reveal.. (Sanctifying an Oath)
(22:57:41) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 12d10 and gets 5,6,10,10,3,2,7,2,1,9,10,7.

(22:57:52) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 3d10 and gets 9,2,10.

(22:58:09) ChatBot: (Morgan) rolls 1d10 and gets 2.

Six successes, so the Oath has a Potency of 6.

He felt a tingle, whether an effect of the magic or a result of the knowledge it was being performed: he didn't know. Or care overmuch. He watched Morgan as she wove the threads, tweaked the strands that she had shown him, a few months and a lifetime ago, and his silver eyes were rapt on her face.

As she pronounced whatever she had worked done, Declan tilted his head curiously, looking from her to Lucien and back again.

"What's done?"

"We are all bound by our word. Under the laws of Arcadia, and by the power of the Tower of the Lunargent Thorn, Morgan has ensured that our word has now become our bond." Lucien left his place from behind the chair he was using as a podium. "For those who placed their trust in us, I thank you. For those who hesitated, again, thank you." The Mastigos grinned a bit, as if he now knew something the others didn't.

"Fear not. The oath is not permanent, and when it is no longer needed the spell shall be shattered. Gods know I don't want a slip of the tongue years from now to sneak up and bite me in the rump. For those we need to share our information with," He looked to Adrian and No Moss who seemed to have concerns. "Simply bring those people before Morgan, and she will alter the terms of the oath to prevent you from falling under any... unfortunate run of luck. This should also help to ensure that any of your prospective Bosses don't find out anything more than need to until the situation has already been dealt with."

"Now, with that out of the way, shall we continue?"

Declan growled deep in his chest, a grumbling sound such as a large canine might make, before muttering something about never having broken his word yet, and the look in his eye was reproachful as he turned it on Lucien and Morgan. He stepped over to the couch and plopped down, grabbing another sandwich and taking a somewhat ferocious bite out of it, his silver gaze levelled at the smug Mastigos as he considered the situation. After a few moments punctuated by the completed disappearance of the sandwich, Declan nodded grudgingly.

"Fair enough, Hunt. But next time, warn me before telling me my word alone ain't good enough, huh? You want ta hurt my feelin's?" Despite the resentful rumble still in his voice, the big Uratha seemed to take it in stride.

"So, what's the first order of business, then?" he asked from his seat. "We gonna show more of our cards? I'm guessin' that's why the big oath."

Morgan sighed, shoving the fall of dark hair back from her eyes as she accepted Declan's resentful glower and bore it in silence. Perhaps she'd explain it to him later, but right now, there was no good way to make him understand that wouldn't delay them further, and they had more important things to worry about. She didn't think he was really angry per se, but his pride had definitely been wounded; that much was evident.

So, folding her arms across her midsection, Morgan looked across the room at the de facto leader of this little gathering, and then swept her gaze around at the others. The space around her seemed suddenly larger, emptier, and it was evident that she had, at least temporarily, lost Declan's support. She had a feeling that if any of them were upset, it'd be directed at her, and her chin tilted slightly, defiantly upward as she waited for the barrage of questions, accusations, and condemnations that were expected to follow.

Yeah, her gaze said plainly, green eyes dark and proud. Yeah, I did it. Blame me if you want, but don't dare doubt me.

Moss shook his head slightly at Hunt's words, "If you had a way to bring others in when and if necessary then why not just say so rather than making out a legitimate concern was some how insulting? Oh well, never mind it now. And my other point still stands, you haven't addressed what happens about any spirits that might be in this area. Some might be able to listen in on us and pass that information on to others as they were not bound by your oath."

So saying Moss activates Two World Eyes to scan the room for spirits, given that Hunt seems to know something of magic or it's like to be insisting on mystic oaths he is expecting to see some Knowledge Spirits, and perhaps the Hate Spirit that he had spotted near Oneca the last time they met.

Click to reveal..

Roll for Two World Eyes - 1d10.hits(7)=0, 1d10.hits(7)=0, 1d10.hits(7)=1, 1d10.hits(7)=1, 1d10.hits(7)=0 = 2 sux

Allows simultaneous view of both the real world and the Shadow.

Archived