Big Eyes, Small Mouth (BESM): Nexus Earth - Chapter Five Session 3b The Heart of the Mecha

Justin OOC

Saito and Noha begin work in the Meteor immediately after making planetfall. They run dozens of diagnostics and quickly find that there are a growing number of annomalies. Parts of the machine seem to be changing into other things almost as if it's alive. The Massive Detonator reactor thrums loudly.

(Both of you make Mind check, if you have any ranks in skills you feel may be pertinent, engineering or mecha science, list them after your roll and I will adjust them and respond as needed. The Meteor while nominally a Circinus Machine is completely different from any other mecha in the Fleets. It's as if the Entire Mech was of alien design, even though some parts are vaguely familiar. These rolls reflect just how much you notice.))

Noha takes his time, methodically investigating the mech. He doesn't talk very much, but rather pays as close attention as possible to every detail. Noha never actually looks for tools, but just seems to know where they are. Occasionally he writes down figures, simply calculating them in his head rather than wasting time typing them in. Amazingly, they're always right.

OOC:

Mind check to make sure he remembers everything.

2d6=8

Mind is a 7. Relevant skills are all 5.

2d6=12

(Sweet!--->That was Luchian.)

Noha discovered three primary things about the Meteor.

The first was how The Meteor System functioned. It directly linked the Mecha to the pilot's brain in a way that was even better than cyberjacking in. It shared sensory data at prodidgous speed yet did not transfer the pain when set at lower levels. At Higher stages it dramatically increased power, but drew the pilot's consciousness further into the Mecha.

The Second thing Noha Discovered Was the Nature of the Dual Pilot Cockpit. If his readings of the technologica specs and schematics was correct, it would actually work best if the pilot was someone of other than Circinus heritage. If they had unique abilities, and activated the cockpit module, the Mecha would gain scaled up versions of their powers.

The Third thing he finds is the most astounding. Behind the Detonator Reactor in the Meteor's chest is something that simply should not be there. He'd seen pictures of them before in this state, but his only encounters were with a fully manifested one.

He was looking at the dormant form of a Dalaraan Core Ship. It was seemlessly blended with Circinus Technology in ways that simply shouldn' be possible. It was likely that this was the source of the Meteor's ability to Alter itself, and to gain the abilities of its copilot.

Saito's time spent in the computer unearthed something of a more personal nature, more pictures and video of his time on Earth with his mother, father, Ryo, and Ibis. By chance he found a video log of his father using Meteor, making the big mecha move as if it were his body. This video also showed something else, The drawback of level 3 synchronization with the Zero system, as The mech was drilled hard through its right torso, and blood seemed to explode from the same place on his father's body.

Noha turns to Saito. Saito seems to be rather immersed in the video log, and Noha thinks it best not to interrupt. Saito appears to be concentrating. When the moment passes, Noha nears Saito, and brings up a display with some of the data he has found.

"I thought you would find this interesting. The immersive system in The Meteor is more advanced than our cyber implantation system. At lower levels, it seems to be perfectly safe, but at higher levels, it appears to integrate The Meteor's own system with the consciousness of the pilot. Obviously, feedback at the point could be tremendously hazardous. However, the system does grant increased performance with the increased integration."

Noha pauses to let Saito digest that, before he continues.

"With the dual pilot mode, someone with special capabilities could enhance their performance utilizing the system, and transfer functionality to The Meteor. It does not seem designed to have optimum performance with a Circinus, however."

After only a brief pause, "Which brings us to the next discovery." Noha brings up a new display on the monitor. "Do you see the mapping of the system network? And the hardware structuring? There's an additional component, an entire network fused, effectively, with the Detonator Reactor. Are you familiar with Dalaraan Cores? This is the dormant form. It seems it has been adapted and integrated into The Meteor's system. It's just a hypothesis until further testing can be done to confirm, but I'm fairly certain this is the key to The Meteor's power."

Noha waits for Saito to respond.

Saito looks up from his video to listen patiently to Noha's findings.

"Actually, I had already known about both the cockpit's system. It was one of the first things that myself and my brother Ryo had found about the Meteor itself.

There was a hint of regret in Saito's voice when he mentioned his brother.

"The secondary cockpit was actually Ryo's pet project. All I had to go on was his notes, I could not understand most of them but I knew that he wanted to help me pilot so he had been modifying the secondary cockpit for something like that."

"A Dalaraan core unit? I have heard of them but I had no idea that one would be co-opted into the Meteor. I wonder what the Meteor's original purpose was and who constructed it."

"Judging from the enhancement properties, and the integrated piloting system, The Meteor was likely part of some sort of special project for a high performance combat unit, likely with particular personnel in mind. I'm afraid I'm not intimately familiar with Dalaraan systems, so it'd be best to get someone else involved in the research."

Noha stretches for a moment, having been bent awkwardly for a while now, he's allowing the blood flow to return to normal.

"I would suggest not pushing the unit too far in combat or even in testing until more is known about the system. There's no telling what sorts of stresses could be placed on the system, and with such an amalgam of technologies in place, damage to its internal systems could be all but impossible to repair."

Noha hands the portable monitor to Saito. "I'll write up my full report later, and you'll be given a copy. Is there anything else you would like? We can do a test run later with a copilot if you like. Mock combat should be a good way to get useful data. Simulations are never reliable."

Saito nods

"Combat testing would be a good idea but we would need to find a way to do this without extensive damage to our machines. The last thing that I want is for us to be attacked right as we are finished with the test with badly damaged mecha"

Ruri clears her throat. "That would be easy enough to do. We can set restrictor programs in the Mecha that will limit the output of the energy weapons they possess. These programs can easily be disabled. As for melee weapons, Beam Sabers have the same restrictor program, and we have several not being used. One can be calibrated to be of similar size and effective weight as your sword Lieutenant Murazaki, or your new one."

She gestures behind her, at the massive blade of the DaiGenGuard. The massive Rocket Propelled Katana looked to mass a quarter of the Meteor's own mass, and had its own carrier.

She looks to Noha. "I can of course easily make the same modifications to your machine as well. If you truly wish to test your machines, I will clear it as a Captain."

Ruri nods. "Yes, considering we are still on a war footing I think that wise."

She smiles to Saito. "Yes Lieutenant this is the Zankatou of the DaiGenGuard, Sanger Zonbolt's mecha. It alone is what remained of the Mecha and the General after his duel with Captain Nagare and his Shin Getter. Ryoma sent this to you because he felt it was what your father, his friend, would have wanted."

Saito nods in acceptence.

"I will do my best to bring honor to my father's blade."

Saito then turns to address Noha.

"If you wish, I would be find with some combat practice. But as I said before we need to make sure that all safety countermeasures are in place and working properly before we do it."

The preparations are easy enough to make, and each of the systems tests green. Markers are released Demarcating a one hundred kilometer diameter sphere of space for the combat excercise and Ruri's voice shows on both of their screens.

"Alright your battlefield is set up. Skill, warriors."

With that the weapons programs and maneuvering systems are returned to their control and the two combatants can begin their dance.

(OOC Initiative and Actions please, include all attacks and defenses and special traits your attacks would have normally.)))

Noha sits in the cockpit, going over the safety protocols one-by-one. "Brigit, verify these readings, please."

"All readings have been verified", her voice echoes.

He flips on the com. "Ready for departure, and engagement. Let's start things off slowly. We want to make sure we get a full spectrum analysis. Confirm, Saito."

(((Init. 19 2d6=8)))

The Atmos swoops wide, keeping a wide birth between itself and the Meteor. Scarlet streaks appear around the mech, circling leisurely. Suddenly, the Atmos shifts to the far left, arching towards the Meteor's flank. As it travels, what look like luminous teardrops burst forth, each one tearing directly towards the Meteor.

Click to reveal..
Accurate +3, Homing +3, 200 damage, 2d6=7, 2d6=10, 2d6=10 A1: 23 A2: 26 A3: 26

Still at a far range, the Atmos swerves in a languid, serpentine sway, with no noticeable or obvious pattern.

Click to reveal..
Defense rolls, 2d6=10, 2d6=5, 2d6=7 D1: 23 D2: 18 D3: 20

In a soft tone, not much different than his timber in actual combat, Noha says, "Brigit, make sure to keep a full spectrum scan. I'm not sure what sort of anomalies to expect. We'll have to look at this in detail later."

She responds, "Recording has already commenced. Full scan is in process."

Saito's cockpit and machine rocked with the hits from Noha's Atmos. Sensor alarms went haywire but it was nothing that Saito could not handle. Armor was breach all over the Meteor's Right leg, left arm and back. The structure of the mecha graoned in the cockpit under the withering beam assault.

"Atmos Combat Level: Increased. Commencing Counterattack."

The Meteor raised its Buster Rifle and locked onto Noha's machine. After a short build up of power the stream of yellow energy shot straight for his sparring partner.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1963241/

((Total Roll: 23 One more and it would have been a critical))

After firing Saito immediately drew his beam sabre and dashed to test the Atmos's close combat abilities.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1963246/

((Total Roll: 20))

The orange beam narrowly misses the Atmos. The light and heat from the plasma beam illuminates its armor momentarily.

As Saito leads The Meteor in closer, the Atmos raises one blade to parry the attack. The blades miss connecting, and The Meteor's blade slices through the upraised arm, and tears into the side of the Atmos.

Red lights flash on the screens inside the Atmos. Brigit relays the damage assessment. The left arm is rendered nonfunctional, and on the monitor a yellow glow hightlights the portion of the body that was struck.

"No worries, Brigit. We drew first blood. Time to finish this."

Red flashes blaze, as the swift, thin beam darts quickly in retaliation.

Click to reveal.. (attack)
Melee Flexible (extendable) 3, and so The Meteor is at a -3 penalty to defend. 2d6=11, 2d6=9, 2d6=7 A1:22 A2:20 A3:18 Melee does 212 damage
Click to reveal.. (defense)
Follow up defenses: 2d6=11, 2d6=8, 2d6=7 D1:22 D2:19 D3:18

((Dodge Roll: One Hit. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1972925/))

Klaxons and alarms went off in the Meteor's cockpit alerting Saito to the damaged condition of his machine.

"Damage Level: Critical. This isnt looking good."

However, Saito could tell that his sword was doing quite a bit of damage to Noha's Atmos. Saito closed the distance and gave the Atmos two slashes with his sword but it was like the enemy was gone before he even got there.

(((OOC: Saito, did you remember to take into account the -3 penalty? Do you normally have a 14 or 17 bonus to your melee defense in mech? If the 14 is your standard bonus, then you have to remember to adjust the results down by 3. That would mean that all three hit if you normally have a 14. I just wanted to make sure that everything is correct before I post a follow up.)))

• 2 weeks later...

The three blasts clip the Meteor hard, the final one ruled as having diabled it's engine. The simulation ends in Defeat for Saito and Victory for Noha.

Ruri pops up on both their screens. "Lieutenant, Seargeant, an excellent battle. Will you gentlemen be going again?" Both agree and the battle repeats, this time with Saito landing back to back hits with the Gerbera Strait, and a win for him. The rest of the day continues, with the final score being 6-6, a dead even. Both the mecha redock on The Macross Quarter, and Ruri meets them in the hangar. Klan, Irm, and Mai are present when the two mechjocks finally climb out of their machines. Klan stood there giving them each a nod before proceeding to climb into her own Scarlett Battle Armor. The sixty foot tall woman was suprisingly agile, and carried herself with the same strict military bearing a Circinus Ace should.

Irm on the otherhand Leaned over the rail watching and smiled. "So you boys figure out which of you is the better pilot, and which has the better machine?" Mai looks at him in Horror.

"Oh relax Mai. They're big boys. I'm just joking. Those little tonka toys are no match for the SRX, or my Grungust."

He grins at them both. "But they can sure as hell outfly most of the other pilots I've seen. Was like watching a series of oldfashioned dogfights between two aces. Sanger woulda been proud."

Ruri approaches. "It was exhilirating. I trust that both of you would like some rest. Go take some downtime and we can do some follow-up work and reports later. I don't think anything is too pressing."

Klan looks to the small Satoshi Captain. "Captain Hoshino, my armor checks out, I will begin my Reconnaissance patrol now."

Ruri nods, and throws up a quick salute. "Stay sharp, Miss Klan, and I'll introduce you to some of the others downside when you get back, I know they may have some questions for you."

She turns back as Klan makes for the Catapult Elevator. "all of you, go have fun for the next eight hours. Well at least the next four. Get some rest, relax. "After Klan's patrol I'm to take a Contingent of our former Circinus allies Downside to meet with some of our R&D people on the ground. I figure that the 4 of you plus Klan will do well, as each of you pilots a machine of diverse systems, and I'd like to guage the general public's reactions."

Noha is mildly flustered at the praise. He simply acknowledges the comments, and adjusts his uniform. It's obvious to him that The Meteor is a superior machine. That was apparent when he first investigated its inner workings.

To Ruri, Noha responds, "We still have not discovered what The Meteor can do with a co-pilot. Its full capabilities are still uncharted. That should be a priority after this initial data has been analyzed."

Noha bows to all gathered. "I'm going to check on Atmos and Brigit, just to make sure everything is in order. After that, I believe I have some studies to catch up on. I'm still not fully familiar with Satoshi systems."

Saito nods to the other aces who watched his battle.

"I appreciate your kind words, but I know that I have alot to learn before I can equal the skills of my father. First and foremost, I must train so I can learn the inner workings of the blade that he has left me.

Saito looked at Noha.

"Sergent, I am happy to have you on my side. We should spar again in the coming months. If you need any help with the Atmos then please do not hesitate to ask."

Saito's gaze went back to the other pilots.

"This mock battle has taught me one thing, If the Meteor is ever destroyed, I am going to need a backup unit. I have decided to put in some training time with Satoshi's Variable Fighter Corp. I feel that because of the nature of the Meteor's piloting controls, a Veritech would be an acceptable alternative for when I am unable to sortie in the Meteor."

Noha nods to Saito. "We should. We have very different approaches to dueling. It's always wise to vary one's training. It keeps you from stagnating."

Before Noha begins to walk away, he adds, "I would be happy to have your input when it comes to Satoshi designs. I am looking to make some upgrades and adjustments, now that new resources are available."

Archived